Roku XD 2050, 720p Streaming Player
Used & New from: $34.86
Local/Cable channels If I keep my high speed cable internet connection active would I get the local and basic cable channels?
asked by K. Auer on February 23, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
votes
No, unless you kept the basic cable tv. But a good ideal is to buy a HD TV antenna and mount it either on the roof or in the attic. I mounted one on the roof, with a signal booster (because the tv signal was being sent to four rooms) and then I cut the cable tv saving $85 per month. Netflix or Hulu+ runs about $8-9 each per month. After the antenna install I got about 40 channels. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX and most others come in HD, some are SD but watchable. Depends where you live and where the signals originate. Then maybe use a booster if they are too far to enhance the signals. That's at least $75 in you pocket everymonth after getting HULU+ or NetFlix. I got tired of paying for all the commercials on cable tv. I still get them, but now I don't pay for them. But NO NOT cut your internet service as it is needed for the Roku...
JRD answered on March 7, 2011

A
vote
if you get playon on your roku this covers most all the basic cable channels & local channels plus some its 39.99 a year and works great check it out its a private roku channel there website is playon.tv
Derek Lowe answered on June 20, 2011

A
votes
According to their website, you can get a free trial of Playon Premium. Here is a list of available channels in that package: Pandora, My Media, Hulu -Not to be confused with Hulu Plus which requires a subscription, this is the HULU content that is offered free from their website which is great!-, Netflix -to stream Netflix content you must be subscribed to their service-, Adult Swim, Amazon Video on Demand -here you can purchase movies you want to stream to watch on your Roku, Wii or other compatible device-, BET, Cartoon Network, CBS, CNN, Comedy Central, ESPN, ESPN3, Fox News, Fox Soccer.tv, Live News: AL Jazeera English, Live News BBC, Live news Bloomberg, MLB.tv, MTV, National Geographic, NFL Rewind, NHL.com, Nick, OWN, PBS, PBS Kids, SpikeTV, Syfy Rewind, TBS, TV.com, VEVO. Here is a link to their channel lineup:
http://www.playon.tv/content-channels#f2
There is also a Plugin channel store which offers channels created by the development community that you can add to PlayOn. This is very similar to Roku's channels store as well as it's private channels.
http://www.playon.tv/channel-store/

Playon will work on your Wii and your Roku as well as many other devices. Install Playon on your Windows PC then add the playon plugin onto the device you prefer to stream content through. Here are step by step written and video instructions:
http://www.playon.tv/playon
And Here
http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices

Once the free trial is over you have 3 options for renewal. Monthly $4.99, Yearly $29.99 Or a Lifetime subscription which includes a free Roku 2 HD with free shipping at $79.99 -this is a one time fee for a lifetime subscription-.
Now here are some important things to consider:
1. Is your internet fast enough?
2. Does your PC meet the minimum requirements to run Playon? Here is a link to requirements as well as other resources:
http://www.playon.tv/support/minreqs
3. You might want to verify exactly what those channels offer if you're un-familiar with them. It will be useful to know if you need to subscribe to individual channels in order to access their content as is the case with Netflix. Just go to their individual websites to find out if you're unsure.

I don't have Cable either. I get my local Channels free via HDTV. Also on an older TV. hooked up to a digital antenna -you can get a cheap used digital antenna in excellent condition at a pawn shop or online, mine cost thirty bucks-. I also have a Roku which I purchased in Like New condition on amazon for fifty five bucks. I get all my DVD movies free from my local library. I have yet to find a movie on zune, or VUDU or amazon on demand, that my local library does not offer. The best thing is I get to reserve the movies online without having to leave the house until the movie is ready for pickup. They will also bring the movie to you if you are unable to pick it up yourself for health reasons.

I hope this is helpful.
Amazon Customer answered on March 3, 2012

A
vote
Playon would be great. Unfortunately I have a Mac. Playon only works by installing it's software to your WINDOWS PC and as long as your Roku is working off the same Network as your PC, it will automatically detect the playon software installed on your computer and run on your Roku connected TV. Bummer for me. Wish I could install it on my Mac.
Amazon Customer answered on August 27, 2011

A
votes
Anyone got any suggestions on how to run Playon off Mac?
Amazon Customer answered on August 27, 2011

A
votes
I have Net-Flix thru my Wii and on my computer if I get playon thru my computer or roku.can I get my local channels. I do not have cable etc. Just a HD antenna inside. TV is a HDTV. and do I needna switch. I am old and new to all this. Any help please. Thanks
Donna Peden answered on March 2, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›