5.0 out of 5 stars At last, storage canisters for my flour & other staples
I've hunted something to keep my flours, sugar, dals, and other staples in for years now. Other attempts to solve the problem of how to keep these commony used staples in an easy to access, yet secure, container have, up to now, resulted in a series of failures.

Published 22 months ago by Kitchen Barbarian

3.0 out of 5 stars top heavy
Published 7 months ago by . .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, storage canisters for my flour & other staples, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)

With the arrival of these storage bins, my search is at long last over. I have received 6 of the 8 I ordered, and only wish I had ordered more.

One of these 21 cup bins will hold a bit over 5 lbs of flour - easily will hold a full bag of flour. I have almost 8 lbs of rice in two others. A 5 lb bag of sugar also fits easily. And they stack. So now I can have all my staples easily at hand for measuring out whatever I need, without having to move the whole container and risk having the lid pop off (as the lids on my square Cambro containers are wont to do).

These are not water tight, but I don't NEED them to be water tight. I just need something that is:

Stable (check)
Will hold 5 lbs of sugar or flour (check)
Is easy to access when I want to get at the contents (check)
Will keep the dust and my cats out (check)
stores compactly (check)

These are stable even when stacked and you can still get at the contents without having to lift or move anything.

I can't answer to the question of whether or not determined tiny ants could get into one of these - from what I have seen, it doesn't look likely, and I don't HAVE ants with which to test the premise. But they keep everything I need kept out, out, and everything I need kept in, in.

The dimensions on these are
6.3" W (across the front)
7.6" H
10.6" D(front to back)
21 cups - the smaller one is half the size of this.
Lock & Lock model #HP700

Now if they would just bring back the 50 cup bins....

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Right Size, May 26, 2011
This is just the right size for my dog treats and easy to open with one hand. Hello, those that were surprised by it's size, read! It states the exact size very plainly. You shouldn't be so critical if you make the mistake and misjudge the size. It is a great product that keeps what ever you put in it fresh and easy to access. Just don't expect to put four liters in a two liter container.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flour, sugar, beans, dog biscuits, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
I have one of these on my counter for dog biscuits. I fill it from a bulk box and it keeps them fresh but accessible when I want to treat the dog. Others are in the pantry for flour (holds a 5 lb bag), raw sugar, and lentils, which are staples for the pantry. I use the larger Lock & Lock BPA Free Storage Bin with Leak Proof Locking Lid, 50-Cup size for bulk dog biscuits, cat food and rice. However, this bin will not prevent whole wheat flour or brown rice from becoming rancid (a function of exposure of food oils to air and light and heat.) Eventually, foods with a high natural oil content like whole wheat and brown rice develop an off flavor due to this rancidity. Keeping them in the freezer slows this process down, so I don't buy bulk whole wheat or brown rice. If you use them up at a good clip, this won't be a problem.

These bins stack and you can get into the front lid without unstacking. That's handy for saving space on pantry shelves. These really make it neat and tidy, and you can see when your store of staples is running down.

3.0 out of 5 stars top heavy, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
got these to keep weevils out of my pantry items (or to keep them isolated in there if they came home from the grocers and not spread). so far so good, though people who have said the containers are not watertight makes me wonder if we just simple haven't encountered weevils in the last couple of years. almost everything in my pantry is stored away in lock and lock containers. the large 38 cup (not flip-top) containers have been great.

the only thing I don't like is that they tip forward when they aren't full. I wish they weren't so slanted under the flip-top, though I guess it gives more access to the lower containers if you are stacking (I don't, the tipping problem gets really annoying when containers aren't full).

also, because of the slanted flip top lid, you cannot put a full 21 cups of stuff in there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, February 13, 2011
In Fashion (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
I ordered 3 sizes of these storage bins. The descriptions were hard to understand. This one was smaller than I expected. would work well for a large bag of flour or cereal.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good size, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
perfect for my dog foods! I stacked them together it is really good fitting in my cupboard. I will buy more for my rices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Storage Design!, November 3, 2013
Robyn Pietsch (Dagsboro, DE, 19939) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
Best storage for flour, sugar, coffee, oatmeal, you name it and durable. I really like how the design incorporates a separate opening other than the full lid. I can reach in through the smaller door/opening with my measuring cup, scoop up a cup of flour and level off the cup by scraping it on the opening and not have to take off the big lid. Very convenient feature!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lock & Lock Is A Great Product, July 18, 2013
N. Lucas (Etters, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
I have several Lock & Lock products. I was a tad disappointed in the cannister storage bins. My sugar still gets a tad lumpy. Still love them though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional Storage, May 30, 2014
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
At the ages and stages of my dogs, I am using three different dog foods. This container is easy to clean, has a great seal and is easy to scoop out of. I taped a swatch from the bag inside the upper section in order to help differentiate between the different foods.
Now that I am finding it functional, I am considering other uses for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little improvement can go a long way, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Lock & Lock Storage, 21.1-Cup Storage Bin (Kitchen)
I have enjoyed Lock & Lock for many years now and only had a few problems with them. This storage container is one that I'd love to love, but sadly, it's design flaws make that difficult. First, the overall design prevents usage of all 21 cup storage for things like two bags of flour and sugar (the reason I bought them). Second, stacking them is difficult because they slide. (Don't know if they were meant to stack on top of one another, but I had to add dots of glue to prevent them from sliding.) If they weren't, here is another design flaw. I don't have miles of counter space to put each of them side by side. Lastly, if you do stack them, the "stay up lid" of the bottom one doesn't because of the slope of the top on doesn't allow for it. This can be a pain.

All in all, these are good storage, but I'd like to see a redesign.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›