Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 5, 2012
Good cheaper solution to buying bulk desiccant for my gun safes. No magic to making this stuff so I don't care where its made as long as it sucks up moisture from the air. True you have a little bit of air space in the can but you are getting the advertised weight. Last I check a bag of chips or a box of cereal only comes half full as well.
I actually prefer that it has an air gap because I hoard all the little packs of descant that I get in various shipments and now I have a place to put it. Between two cans of this stuff I used up all the spare desiccant I had around.

Also this package comes with a paper moisture indicator telling you when to bake it. While it does have a lid with a window that window "does not" have the color changing type of desiccant in it. Its just a window that lets you see down to the primary desiccant.
I have a few of the US made units that cost twice as much as this one and it doesn't suck up moisture any better than this one does. Save your money and buy twice as many of these as you would the other ones.

5 Stars all around on this one.
on November 29, 2012
Nice sturdy perforated metal can full of silica gel that can be regened and refilled. No more rinky dink aluminum packs with almost no ability to withstand the slightest pressure and can't be refilled.
Works as well as silica can with no air circulation.
I put it in a safe and run a battery operated fan for an hour every time I open the safe.
Lasted a week plus so far.
Put another one in a cabinet that's indoors but not climate controlled - like in a garage or shed. We shall see.
Just bought hunidity meters to check the drop in the cabinet.
Good idea to lay crystals out on a cookie sheet to regen, much shorter than cooking the can.
Now if they would just lower the price a little...
on February 26, 2013
This canister is big enough to keep a large safe at low humidity, and you can recharge it when necessary. It is a great investment for protecting valuable contents. For me, that's my guns. For my wife, that's her jewelry!
on November 30, 2014
I purchased 2 of these. One for my girlfriend and my cars when we store them this winter. A few of my friends use these instead basement dry as its easier and cleaner. I will report back in the spring when I open the cars back up.
on September 27, 2011
I was disappointed in the quality of the product. Others that I own are thicker metal. This one seems to be very flimsy. Others have directions labeled on the bottom of how to recharge silica, this does not. In others I have the silica is filled to the top this is probably 4/5th of the way full. It may be 750grams as claimed and the container just has more volume than my other containers. It does still work just doesn't seem to be as good as others I have.
on July 7, 2016
Reliable way to go for larger areas like safes, etc. as you can visually check silica absorbent. (Can only guess with dry packs.) I prefer to lay silica out on a cookie sheet to shorten oven bake-out time. Of course, you can just pop the canister in the oven directly - Don't forget to remove the sight window first...
on December 27, 2012
This is about the best deal I could find. The container is very nice with the mesh sides. It comes with a color card to give rough estimates of humidity. I have recharged this gel once already in a toaster oven and it did well. The only down side is that it loads up on moisture fast in my safe which is a water resistant fire proof safe with a volumn of only about 20 cubic feet. I am going to see if I can find any gaps in the weather stripping or any other breaches which are allowing humidity to enter. I am located in an area with relatively high humidity so I will probably have to get several of these in order to not have to recharge them so often.
on February 2, 2015
These are the best out there, I use them and give them as gifts. Your favorite sportsman would be happy to get a couple. These are reasonable priced as these things go. The container is very durable and you can recharge these in the oven.
on January 30, 2016
This is an update to my original review submitted shortly after receiving these unit. The unchanged 4-STAR first review follows. I'm down grading my original rating to 2-STARS because one unit failed during its second recharge. The view port on the top of the can melted away even though it was held to the recommended 325 degrees Farenheit. I also recharged two other brands at the same time with no adverse effects to them. The port is supposed to be made of mica to stand the temp, though it recharged just fine the first time, the mica completely disappeared the second time. A small residue of the adhesive holding the mica lens melted and dripped onto the silica. I no longer recommend these units. I do believe the cap can be repaired. The company should send me a replacement cap.

Thanks

Tim

Original: 4-STARS. These are Chinese made units that are less expensive compared to the Cannon and the Midwest Ind. models. Where those gels change from a deep blue to pink when exhausted, the Chinese units change from a intense yellow to a darkish moss green hue. They seem to work just as well, though the ones I received had a slight rust coating. It probable is just that the plating is a lower quality. I'll just have to see if this worsens over time. A paper towel seems to have been all that was needed out of the box. Both types are advertised as nontoxic. They have no cobalt which is toxic in granular form.

If you buy these things, you probably know of the price fluctuations. I have paid as much as $36 and as little as $12 for 750gm canisters. These seem to be the least expensive whatever the mean price is. I use them to preserve coins and exotic tools in a safety deposit box that is about 40 cubic feet. It is almost walk-in size. I use them in my home safe of about the same size. That safe is only used for temporary storage of items to be transferred to the deposit box. And when I perform an annual inventories of my collections at home.

I use four 750gm cans in each secure space because they hold the humidity reliably at about 30% or lower for about a month. Three only work for about two weeks. If it is helpful, I started with 25gm and 50gm single use packets. I graduated to the large canisters because they are easier to use and can be fully recharged in an oven set to 325 degrees F for three hours. They last essentially forever.
on November 28, 2011
This is a great option for medium to large safes when you do not want to use a golden rod (due to power requirements). The only reason that I did not rate this as 4 stars is because I only got about 3/4ths of the silica gel that you are suppose to get. But for my applications I guess I should be ok.