Lodge ASHH11 Silicone Hot Handle Holder, Black
Package Quantity: 1Color: BlackChange
Price:$6.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 3, 2011
EDIT: Now that I have about a month using these holders under my belt, I've learned more how to use them better. Still, my original review below pretty much stands. So, I found that trying to firmly grasp the silicone handles the way you would using a cloth isn't the best way to go about using these handles. Using a looser grip allowing the front bottom of the holder to sit on your index finger and the rear top of the holder to press up against your palm provides a much better grip and control of the pan. It's a looser bottom-front and top-rear balance that works best. This method even mostly negates the lubrication effect from modestly oily pan handles. You still don't want oily handles or you're asking for it. So try that looser balancing grip instead of the firm clench grip. :)

Also, a note on the cloth Hot Handles that are supposedly-silicone lined. Um, they're not silicone-lined. At least not with any kind of silicone I've ever seen. And don't ask me why, but the multi-colored hot pepper design holder is a bit bigger and its interior just looks like the metalized cloth we've been using on the contact surface of cloth oven mitts for decades. The red hot pepper design has a cream colored teri cloth inside and is just a bit smaller than the multi-colored pepper holders. I like the multi-colored pepper holders the best both for the interior, feel and pattern.

If I'm cooking on low heat I leave the silicone handles on. If I'm sauteeing, and therefore flipping, or if I'm using higher heat I use the cloth handles and put 'em on as needed and remove 'em when done.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Okay, I will take for granted that if you're reading this you already have a Lodge cast iron pan(s). They are fantastic pans that have reignited my love of cooking. My Analon Pro pans sit in the cupboard doing nothing now other than loan their great glass lids to the Lodge pans.

But this isn't about the pans. Despite their very humble price, all of us who own Lodge know that they are superior pans already. This is about this handle holder. If you've used silicone in the past as a pot holder or oven mitt, you know that it is an excellent heat barrier and very very easy to clean and dries almost instantly. This holder is no different. It can be left on the pans even when they are on medium high heat and though they get hot, not hot enough so the pan can't be lifted.

The problem with this holder is that it only comes in one size and is internally deeply ribbed (presumably to create an air channel and less contact for cooling efficiency). I have 6.5" through 15" Lodge pans. Each handle is a different size and shape. The 6.5" is so small that this holder allows the handle to just slosh around inside. The only way to get a confident grip on the pan with the holder on is to really squeeze down on the holder. As the holder is quite thick, it won't fold over and the internal ribs prevent real compression of the holder. Sort of a spring action. In short, the little handle is so short and narrow that this holder just swallows it up and confident grasp is really not possible. Factor this in with the fact that oil/grease finds its way up cast iron handles and you have a real issue because of the internal ribs. There is very little actual contact between the holder and the handle because of these ribs. Good for low heat transfer. REALLY bad for grabbing the handle.

But who uses such tiny pans other than myself? Let's talk about the 10" that everybody uses. The fit here is much much better. Still, not snug enough. Unlike with the 6.5" pan, heft and weight of the pan is an issue. Though the fit is more snug, the greater effort maneuvering the 10" gives a less-than-confident feeling. I like to sautee so I flip my pans a lot. Yes, even heavy cast iron pans. Not with this holder on the handle. The ribs simply limit contact with the pan far too much. It's back to the trusty old cloth for sauteeing... ANY grease on the handle and the holder becomes a lubricated sleeve that can actually spin around the handle.

The 15" pan's handle fits about the same in the holder as the 10" though it reaches closer to the holder's tip.

In summary, this holder is fine for simply grabbing the pan and rotating it on the burner or for holding the pan as you stir its contents or for two-handed lifts using the helper handle (and hey, where's the helper handle holders???). For sauteeing or one-handed lifts (or even two-handed lifts by the main handle only), the poor grip (even lubricated SLIDING) of this holder really limits its usefulness as a handle holder.

I've ordered the Lodge cloth-exteriored (but still internally silicone-lined) holders hoping for better grip. I understand that those handles can't be left on the pans. I'll use them as a replacement for a cloth. Hopefully there aren't any internal ribs on those holders or they'll get sent back prior to use.

Lodge really dropped the ball here, only offering one size. Frankly, I think they should include custom-fitted handles with every pan. They are cheap to make and wouldn't increase the cost of the pans much. They should also be made of much thicker silicone without ribs. This way, they can just stay on the pans and will fit and grip MUCH MUCH better and restrict heat at least as well.

I hope you're listening, Lodge... Send me a free set for review. ;)
review image review image review image
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2012
While not absolutely perfect, this is the best solution for hot cast iron handles I have come across.

Pros:
1) Avoids the problem of forgetting the cast iron pan handle it hot and burning yourself. You can leave it on while using it on the stovetop.
2) This silicone holder has several advantages over a cloth handle holder or potholder:
. a) You can leave this on a gas burner when using the pan. NOT something you can do with a cloth because of fire concerns.
. b) The silicone material can get wet without losing its insulating qualities.
. c) If it gets oily it can easily be washed and reused much quicker than cloth. It can be put in a dishwasher.

Cons:
1) It fits kind of loose on a pan handle. This requires you to "be aware" of how to grip it right so the pan doesn't slip out of your grip. This is not difficult, just that the grip is not as solid as no holder at all.
2) While I haven't had any issues yet, the silicone could break down under extreme heat (more than 450 °F according to Lodge). This might only be an issue while using on a gas burner, as the heat can "lick up" and be more intense in the handle area than electric. I use gas, so I back the holder off a smidge from the edge while using on gas. This in turn makes the grip issue a little worse, but still usable. However, it is still better than no holder at all or cloth, as those have greater risks.
3) You can't leave it on when using a pan in the oven. The silicone gets too hot to touch. While you CAN slip it on the hot pan to take it out, you can also just use a regular glove or potholder. Not really a huge advantage for oven use.
4) A TIP I'VE LEARNED THE HARD WAY with a burned finger: the holder has a small hole in one side, place it "up" on a handle so you can see it. If it's on the bottom, you can inadvertently grab it and get burned by the pan through the hole. Ouch!

Summary:
Considering the extreme requirements for a handle holder, this is a good product and I can think of no better solution for a gas burner. Definitely saves you from a burned hand!
on September 20, 2012
I own both the lodge seasoned cast iron and the Lodge ceramic enameled cast iron. I was hesitant to buy this product because of all the reviews that said the handle holder was too big and sloppy. Put your mind at rest! If you are buying for the Seasoned Cast Iron the reviews are right. This product was not designed for those at least not from what i could tell. If you are looking for those use these "Lodge Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black". These Silicone hot handle holders work perfectly for the enamel covered cast iron pans from Lodge. I can attest to that. They are tight and hold snug and go all the to the base of the product. For its purpose i give these 5 stars (as you can see). Just remember these are for the LODGE ENAMELED PRODUCTS not the seasoned cast iron.

I also own 2 pieces of Le Creuset cookware that these fit perfectly on too!
on July 20, 2012
The holder is much too large for the skillets. The skillet handles are all the same size on my three skillets (12", 10" and 8") and this holder does not fit. One would think they could make a holder that fits their own skillet handles. It is so loose that it is dangerous. I have another holder by another company I bought at a local kitchen store that fits better than the Lodge holder. I do not recommend this product.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2013
The handle is relatively long for standard cast iron skillets. When gripped, the holder compresses in such a way that allows heat to be distributed to the sides, thusly burning the user mildly even when the skillet is over medium heat. Experiences may vary.
on June 13, 2014
I have included a photo of the underside of the holder after the second use. The silicone did burn/slough off while browning ground beef. The handle also gets hot. I've had to learn not to jam the holder all the way down the handle and kinda keep the handle as far away from the flame as possible. That having been said, I do like it and use it, even though there's room for improvement.
review image
on November 29, 2012
I got the blue silicone handle cover, but it doesn't fit tight on the Lodge Logic L9063 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet, and the Lodge Logic L8SGP3 Square 10 in Grill skillet and the cover is too big. Not a tight fit at all, and loose. Feels like pan will fall out of your grip. It does make the handle fell cool though. I went to return it to Amazon, but they said keep it and just refunded me. Hey thanks Amazon.
on September 16, 2013
Put it on the handle of my cast iron skillet, but still could not touch the handle. Had to use a pot holder while the handle holder was still on. Was nearly impossible to get it on. DO NOT TRY IF SKILLET IS HOT. Wasted my money.
on April 3, 2013
As others have commented, this simply doesn't work to protect your hand from heat. After no more than 10 minutes on the handle of my Lodge 10" skillet over a medium gas flame, this became so hot that I needed to use a potholder in order to remove the pan from the burner. Which, of course, begs the question if you have to use a pot holder, why do you need this in the first place. The answer is you don't. Save your money.
on February 14, 2013
I bought this when i bought my 15 inch skillet, and it's pretty much useless. When you try to pick up the pan with this on it, it slips off or twists and makes it very difficult to carry.