4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good, still have to be a little careful
I got this and the Lodge 2 Piece Hot Handle Holder Set at the same time, and this product is a lot better. It's more substantial, thicker, and because it's thicker (although the same size) it fits the handle more snugly, therefore less slipping around.

Published on December 19, 2005 by Outglare@Amazon

3.0 out of 5 stars Scorched after very few uses
Published on May 26, 2005 by N

3.0 out of 5 stars Scorched after very few uses, May 26, 2005
N "normis" (Brownsville, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
This mitt is good at insulating handles from heat... one can hold the skillet comfortably without feeling the heat. I don't think this thing can resist as high temperatures as stated on the product description because mine has already scorched at the edge where it comes in contact with the pan and as a result the fabric is fraying badly. I have never left the mitt in place while cooking, I have only used it to move the pan from the stove to the sink or to lift the pan to serve meals from it so I guess that the black fabric covering the outside of the mitt is not very heat-resistant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good, still have to be a little careful, December 19, 2005
Outglare@Amazon (Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)

It does tend to get warm if you leave the holder on the handle while cooking. I don't think that it will ever get hot enough to burn you, though. You should, at worst, feel a little discomfort, and you can just let go before it gets anywhere close to the burning point. I like to leave it on the iron skillets because it's so easy to just grip the iron handle without thinking about it. I didn't notice any searing of the material of this Mitt.

The problem is that if the holder gets wet, it becomes useless as a heat-resister. It doesn't happen often, but all it takes is a drop of water to burn you.

I would recommend the silicone based holders, like HotHandle™ Silicone Cookware Handle Holder that I also got at the same time that I got the Lodge mitt. And no, I'm not a sales rep for them. Even if they get wet, the water doesn't penetrate through the mitt, so you're safe. Actually, I wouldn't recommend this one - It's sold by Target, not Amazon, and it's a little bit too long for most Lodge handles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea!!!, February 17, 2006
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
I really didn't know what to expect when I bought this product, but when I got it I liked it a lot. I can see where it might burn if left pushed all the way on the handle, but I just simply slide it back towards the end of the handle, leave it there, and when I need to move or lift the pan, just slide it back down all the way on. It works like a good quality pot holder, and is a bit non-skid so it tends to grip pretty good. It fits in the hand well, and works as designed. Convenient to use with cast iron since the heat travels up the handles well, and you always need a pot holder or rag to keep from burning your hands. This is a well made product that works as intended. I'm glad I bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor durability, August 22, 2010
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
I purchased this product to use along with my new Lodge cast-iron skillet. During the last three weeks, I've used the mitt on exactly six occasions. Because the mitt heats up if left on the handle of the skillet, I've been careful to remove it after each use. Yet the mitt is already falling apart--there are numerous cracks in the fabric and the stuffing has become exposed, despite extremely light usage.

I do not recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the cost, March 25, 2009
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
I received this as a Christmas gift (along with a cast iron skillet and lid). The mitt lasted less than a month- it scorched, cracked, and then frayed, even though it was never used at a higher temperature than listed. I have since replaced it with a silicon version I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond and it works much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars meh., May 26, 2011
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
the fine people of lodge make the best cast iron products on the market, hands down. unfortunately, i cannot say the same with their mitts. i was careful to keep it away from the heat and flames, but it still couldn't take the heat. it has fallen apart in no time at all. bummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mitt, February 26, 2007
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
Fits perfectly over my cast iron skillet handles, and I can keep it on even while cooking. One word of caution, however, this thing is worthless when wet. If it gets wet it will conduct heat and burn you. (But, really, this is just a matter of physics and any cloth-based mitt will behave the same way).

4.0 out of 5 stars great insulation, oversize for lodge handles, February 16, 2005
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
Item is great at a great price, cannot feel the heat even at 450F. It is thick and sligtly loose so one has to grip it with extra force to prevent heavy skillets from slipping.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caught fire on the first use, June 8, 2009
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
The first time I used this, it caught fire. It was no where near the flames, but the fire resistant mitt caught fire. If it burns on the first use, it's not worth the $5 I spent on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lodge Handle Mitt chars and turns to ash on first use, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black (Kitchen)
I used this with the Lodge 10 1/2 Griddle Pan. On the first use, I had my stove turned up high to heat the griddle. I smelled burning and I noticed that the side of the mitt closest to the pan had started to burn. The black mitt cover burned off and the white insulating fabric shows charring. I've had better luck (and no burning) using a regular oven mitt.

Lodge HHMT Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black