5.0 out of 5 stars calling all Lodge lovers
Published on October 11, 2005 by R. J. Buchanan

3.0 out of 5 stars The pan measures14 inches across the bottom.
The pan measures14 inches across the bottom. I was hoping for a larger 17 inch size. I have the Lodge 14 inch pizza pan and it is GREAT!!! I wanted to make a larger size pizza and ordered this 17 inch pan. Unfortunately it is the same size as the 14 inch pizza pan on the bottom with flared sides making it larger at the top.
Published 20 months ago by adverage joe

5.0 out of 5 stars calling all Lodge lovers, October 11, 2005
This review is from: Lodge L17SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet, 17-inch (Kitchen)
It's big, it's black, it's cast iron! I had the 15in skillet in my wish list for a long time when this one showed up in my gold box. I didn't even mind paying the higher price for a pre-seasoned piece which is a bonus for a skillet of this size. The two smaller handles on this one make it even easier to get in and out of the oven, not to mention giving it a better fit. It works just find on the stove top but will over hang the side a bit. A damp towell on the counter will help if your counter is not high heat proof. If you cook big meals for big crowds you're probably already in love with cast iron. Put this one on your list. And thank you Amazon; not many companies will wave shipping on somthing as heavy as cast iron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge pan. Well built., November 10, 2004
With proper care this pan will last more than a lifetime. Most of the Cast Iron pans made in the late 1800's are still floating around. This pan can last that long too. While this pan is hugh and can cook lots and lots of food. It is better suited for outdoor cooking on a Campfire or a Turkey fryer base than useing in a kitchen. It is pretty big for a stove as you can have two burners heating it at once. I am glad I bought this pan. I also bought a smaller skillet for use on my home stove.

But for campfire cooking this is one of the most versitle pieces out there, you can fry in it, use it a a griddle and make monster pancakes. You can even whip up a big batch of Chili. If you like camping or even backyard cooking this is a must have. I like to use mine with a Turkey deepfryer base as the heating element it works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico for pizza!, January 21, 2008
I bought this specifically for making my homemade pizza. I've found that baking pizza in a cast iron skillet that was generously coated with shortening yielded wonderful results, whether one preferred thick (my choice), or thin crust (my wife's choice). It turns out a pastry-like crust that my extended family raves over. (Be sure to use a generous amount of olive oil in the dough..4 tablespoons per two cups of flour..)Baking it at 500+ degrees is also part of the secret. This big boy lets me make a hearty pizza main course for four to five hungry adults. The cast iron also retained heat for quite a while, once out of the oven, so that my pizza stayed warm until the last slice had been eaten. Clean-up was a breeze..just wipe the pan out with a paper towel and give it a spray of cooking oil.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, December 6, 2008
I have all cast iron and I needed a larger pan for deep dish pizza. This big boy is great. Made pizza last night it was so good! One problem, I can't close the door all the way on the oven. I have a viking wall oven. It cooked great anyway, but I was shocked when it wouldn't fit. I told my husband I now need a commercial size oven.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lodge 17 inch skillet, October 3, 2007
Stephen Kerner (Biddeford, ME United States) - See all my reviews
Yes, it's heavy, doesn't fit on a regular stove, & heats unevenly with small burners. I bought it to use on a large high output outdoor burner, it's perfect for my use. I can cook a whole pound of bacon at once and deep fry enough crab rangoon at once to actually enjoy the party. Not a pan that I use very often, but when I do, nothing else comes close to it's utility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, in more ways than one!, February 28, 2013
sooo, i just used this pan for the first time after getting it. "had my eye on it along time, and finally took the hit"
and, wow, this thing is heavy, black and big enough that you could hide underneath it during a nuclear attack.
barely fits in the oven, actually on the top rack it even holds the door open slightly but not enough to defeat its chosen purpose!
the Uncle buck pancake sized PIZZA PAN.
and it does deliver. and how..nothing browns like cast iron and pizza is no different i guess, made a fast no frills pizza with a quick dough to try it out and it did not disappoint me at all.
nice brown crust, crispy out to the tip of the slice. no floppy pizza here!
i was worried that the pan was so massive that the bottom wouldnt get done as fast as the top...not the case.
on the bottom rack at 500 degrees for fifteen minutes was almost too long.
done top bottom and everything in between with a great rise/oven spring on the dough.
and this was just very a rough first test, i think for alot of baking roasting chores this bad boy is going to be my best friend for aloooong time. Also makes a great gong!
if you are thinking about it and like cast iron and know how to treat it and love super crispy pizza crust.
What the heck are you waiting for!
and for that matter all of lodge cast iron is worth the ticket price..buy it once and it will outlast your grandkids.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Easy to Use; the Ultimate Non-Stick, March 19, 2007
I have made this statement many times "they just don't make them like they use to". Well I eat my words!

I might be considered a cast iron snob because I will pay premium prices for antique Griswold and other brands versus Lodge. With this purchase I have been pleasantly surprised with the non-stick pre-seasoned surface of this Lodge pan, not to mention the wonderful ease in cleanup! Please do not hesitate on making the decision to purchase a Lodge pre-seasoned product. Kudo's to Lodge on having the foresight to pre-season their cast iron...it certainly has made my life easier and I am sure that you will agree. Lodge is using good old USA quality manufacturing so let's help keep them producing their product in the USA, you will not regret your purchase. Remember> Lodge makes them "better" than the old days! Can't wait to try this pan for deep dish pizza.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pan, November 17, 2008
I just love this pan. You will need two burns to cook since it is so big. But definitely worth it. I fried 24 perogies at one time! Worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pan for use in my wood-fired oven., December 29, 2011
William B Campbell (Beaverton, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I got this pan after reading "Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way". I regularly use the pan in my wood-fired oven--it is great for making paella for 15-20 or a big pan of roasted veggies. Or three or four roasted chickens. I don't worry about it being able to take the high heat (600-900F) in the oven.

I also like to use it on my indoor gas range to make fajitas. I get the center good and hot and as I finish cooking each ingredient (steak, chicken, peppers, onions) I push them off to the edges to stay warm. The entire pan goes onto the center of the table (with plenty of hot pads underneath).

If you expect to use this on an electric or gas range and get even heat across the entire pan than you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cast Iron Pan, August 22, 2005
This pan is an invaluable accessory on the burner you use for your turkey fryer. It's great cooking outside with this pan and the two loop handles make it easier to carry. And you'll need two hands to carry this pan. Also, the absence of the typical frying pan handle prevents it from being knocked or moved on the burner when working around it. If you're looking to cook large quantities of food quickly, don't hesitate to buy this pan!

Lodge L17SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet, 17-inch