5.0 out of 5 stars Another multi-tasker
First of all - it's Lodge. It's cast iron. It's American. These are all good things.

But I had to chuckle at a couple of the applications the other reviewers had for this handy little item. This isn't one of the first kitchen implements that you might put on your wish list, but it's surprisingly versatile.

Yes, you can put it in the bottom of your...
Published on January 7, 2008 by Joe Bob "Barefoot Okie in ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea
Got this with a cast iron dutch oven. This is a really nice idea and does appear to help but my oh my, what a pain to clean with all the little holes.
Published on November 10, 2010 by Antacus

5.0 out of 5 stars Another multi-tasker, January 7, 2008
This review is from: Lodge L8DOT3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Meat Rack/Trivet, 8-inch (Kitchen)

Yes, you can put it in the bottom of your dutch oven, put your meat on top and let the fat drain. Yes, it's obviously a trivet. But I've also used it as a meat press - yeah, Lodge makes a couple of presses, and one of these days... but in the meantime, flip at upside down on your bacon and it works fine.

I've also used it as a grilled sandwich press. Put it on a medium burner, toss your sandwich in your skillet, or griddle, then (with tongs or welding gloves) plop this little trivet on top of your sandwich. A couple of experiments is all it takes to get the right amount of heat to brown the top of your sandwich. If you need more weight, put some water in a saucepan and set it on the trivet - the "legs" on the trivet keep the saucepan from cooling the trivet and your sandwich is nicely smushed.

But the weirdest use of all time? Olive pitter. No, I'm not kidding. I was making a salad the other night, and I wanted to chop some black olives into it. I grabbed a can of olives and opened it, only to discover that my wife had bought un-pitted olives. I hate pitting olives, but I started in, when my eye was caught by this little trivet and all those interesting holes. I grabbed the trivet, put an olive on end over one of the small holes and pushed with my thumb - the pit jumped through the hole and left the meat on the other side. I grabbed a bowl, put the trivet on top and went through that can of olives in no time. Hint - the holes are beveled, and the olives sit very nicely in the bevel, but they don't pit as well - turn the trivet over and use the "flat" side of the hole.

So there you have it. A kitchen gadget with half-a-dozen uses for ten bucks. How can you go wrong?

5.0 out of 5 stars great for tortillas too, November 7, 2007
I use this trivet over my gas stove burners or barbeque to heat tortillas like my grandmother used too. Also works great to fire roast chiles and peppers for salsa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trivet Mania, February 4, 2010
Just received my Lodge Meat Rack/Trivet. It arrived in perfect condition and shipping was fast and free. For those who complain about the legs being too short to keep the food out of it's juices please understand that's not it's purpose. It's designed to elevate the food just enough to keep it from scorching. If the legs were longer the same people would complain that it takes up too much room. If you must keep the meat out of the juices make 4 large balls from foil and place those under the meat rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multiple uses, January 7, 2009
If you cook some things in your dutch oven in a cake pan, put this in the bottom of the dutch oven first and it will help keep the bottoms of your cakes and biscuits from scorching--or put it under your roasts or chickens to keep them out of the fat that accumulates at the bottom of the pot. Because of the size, you can use it in all your dutch ovens over 8". It won't work as a trivet for a camp-style oven (with legs) because it's too small, but it's a compact, useful trivet for other hot pans and pots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome trivet, April 13, 2007
A. Summers (Sevierville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Love this trivet! It is perfect for use in my Lodge Logic 5 Qt Double Dutch Oven and Casserole with Skillet cover set, 10.25 inch in diameterdutch oven. They are a very esential pair in my kitchen. My food is so much better now and healthy with the trivet to have the drippings - drip away - from the food!!! Love it!!! Can't beat the price either. remember wash with hot water and scrub brush only (no soap) and rub some spray pam on it before putting up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it., September 18, 2009
Susan Cable (Pacific Northwest, United States) - See all my reviews
After reading reviews from those who felt cheated by the short legs on this product, I almost didn't buy it; after trying it, I'm happy to have it. It is thick and heavy, and worked quite well to elevate a pork shoulder to completely eliminate burning worries while slow-cooking for pulled pork sandwiches. It works fantastically as a bacon press, though the holes take a little extra effort to clean. As a rack, trivet, press, etc. its heftiness and size make it a pleasure to use with the compatibly-sized Lodge Logic 5 Qt Double Dutch Oven and Casserole with Skillet cover set, 10-1/4-Inch in diameter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to a Dutch Oven; a must have, November 16, 2008
Just what I expected and works perfectly. The legs on it are just high enough to do the job of keeping direct heat from causing meat to stick to the bottom of the oven. If you're looking for something to keep meat out of the juices, than buy more than one and stack them or use some sort of spacer under it but I like it the way it is; meat brazing in it's juices isn't a bad thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Grill Grate, July 28, 2008
I own 3 of these trivets, and have as yet to use it for the intended purpose. My favorite application has been to use it as a warming tray attached to my Lodge Sportsman Grill. With $2.50 worth of parts from my local hardware store I was able to make an add on warming tray that I can adjust the distance to the grill surface and rotate it to any position over the cooking grate.

I also use one of these over a flowerpot with coals inside or a #10 tin can with coals inside when I need a quick temporary "throwaway" grill. That way I still have a good quality cast iron cooking surface.

Love the Lodge quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bacon and sandwich press!, April 20, 2008
Thanks must be given to reviewer Barefoot Okie in FL for the great ideas for using this trivet. I found it also makes a good bacon press...in fact you can use this puppy for just about anything that needs some weight attached to it! Not to mention, it makes a great rack for cooking meat loaf on...only the fat falls thru...I've used other meat racks and on loose meat loaf mixes, found a lot of the mix had fallen through the wires. That doesn't happen with this trivet...works great in the dutch oven!

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should have one, January 9, 2007
This product really keeps the meat from sticking to the bottom and it keeps if from sticking but at the same time lets the jucies keep the meat tasty.