1,035 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job, things to be aware of ...
Published on August 12, 2006 by Kevin K. Fosler

3.0 out of 5 stars good
I really liked that fact that this comes pre-seasoned. It's a nice size for 2-4 people and allows for a much larger cooking surface than my George Forman grill. Which I love, but is way too small for more than one person.

Published on July 18, 2005 by MzFitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job, things to be aware of ..., August 12, 2006
This review is from: Lodge L8SGP3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Square Grill Pan, 10.5-inch (Kitchen)
I just cooked a thick ribeye steak using this grill. It's the first thing that I have cooked on it. Similar to a cast iron frying pan that I have, this generates a lot of "smoke". I had to take the battery out of my smoke detector, and open windows. I think I cooked it at a slightly higher temperature than I needed to. If smoke is a problem, think twice about buying this.

The result is the best steak I have ever cooked indoors. It beats any electric grill I have ever used, and it beats the George Foreman grill hands down. I would say that the results are almost restaurant quality. I look forward to cooking hamburgers within the next day or so.

I think this would work better with slightly less thick cuts of meat. Even at high heat it took longer than it would have taken on a grill. During the cooking I put a metal lid over the pan to control splattering.

I think it will be a breeze to clean. Oiling it after cleaning, with the ridges, will be a little more work than for smoother surfaces.

Because the ridges are so high, the grill does a great job of cooking away from the fat, and probably (my guess) does even a better job than the George Foreman grill in that regard.

Pans like this pay for themselves. This pan is about the cost of a dinner for two, and it will result in less eating out.

Update: I cleaned the pan after making the steak. It was more difficult to clean than other cast iron pans due to the ridges, however, I think I need to find a different tool to clean it with. Someone recommended a grill pad or brush. Also, I usually put the pan over enough heat to evaporate any water from cleaning, and then apply a thin amount of oil. This was also harder. I think it will get better with practice. In any case, the results were worth it.

I will be trying burgers and pork chops soon, so stay tuned!

Update: I cooked pork chops tonight on this grill, and they are the best pork chops I have ever had in my life. I let the pan heat up, and usually also have the electric burner on high heat when adding the meat. I then turn it down a bit. The cast iron doesn't cool off, and it sears the juices in. I have found that a metal cover over the grill works well to keep in splatters and heat. Another thing that is helpful is a temperature fork, which told me tonight that the chops were at 180 degrees, otherwise I would have overcooked them.

This is by far the best money that I have spent on cooking equipment, and it will definitely save a lot of $$$ because I will treat myself to excellent home-cooked meals more often.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets better with every use!, May 8, 2009
Crimson (Kalamazoo, MI) - See all my reviews
This was my first time using cast iron cookware, and it was almost the last. After my first attempt, I was very disappointed. The second the food contacted the pre-heated pan it stuck to the it, and I mean really stuck to it. I had to tear the chicken breast from the pan, literally! The clean up was a nightmare. Everything was burnt on. It probably took me close to 20 minutes to clean the pan. I thought about trashing the grill. I thought cast iron cookware was a joke.

Well, a couple of days later I decided to give it another shot. I looked up cast iron cookware on the web and clicked on a random link (unfortunately, I do not remember the link, but it was an old article). The website article explained (if memory serves correctly) that there is a difference between pre-seasoned and seasoned cast iron; it takes many uses to develop a good seasoning of the cast iron utensil; pre-seasoned just means that the first step was already started. It also stated that one should never use any soap or scrub with anything harsh; a plant-fiber brush is recommended because the goal is to get the particles off the pan, not clean off all the used oil left behind. I'm thinking I should have read the directions that came with the pan before I used it instead of assuming it was good to go.

I decided to give it a few more tries. I purchased a cast iron scrub brush to use for cleaning, and spent more time cleaning it before my second use because there was still a lot of burnt on food still stuck to the pan. After a few more uses, I started noticing that food wasn't getting stuck as often, grill marks are looking better and what was burnt on the pan was very easy to clean off with the brush and hot water. About a dozen uses later the pan has developed a smoother, more glossy surface on the cooking surface. Now the food (even fish) just glides off the pan. A quick rinse with hot water and most of the burnt on stuff just flakes off. A quick pass with the brush and the pan is clean and perfectly smooth, in fact, this is the easiest pan to clean in my kitchen. After use (while the pan is till warm but not hot), I just rinse with hot water and a quick pass with the brush, dry it, lightly coat it with oil, and store it for next use.

And the brighter side to this.....it is starting to impart some flavors on the food that makes it taste fantastic! The grill marks are clean and consistent, and it cooks everything evenly.

To the folks who had bad luck with using this for the first time, give it a few more tries before you write this off. It did not work for me at first because I did not read the directions and assumed that using cast iron was no different than using any other type of cookware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great with a little practice, August 24, 2011
I hope you will find this review helpful and will read it before you actually start using this pan. This is a great product, but it takes a little getting used to to get the full benefits from it.

First of all, this is made of cast iron. It weighs almost 10 pounds and would be a great first pick if you happen to be in the kitchen when an intruder barges in. Cast iron has its upsides and its downsides.

Good
* It will last your entire lifetime if you don't let it rust
* Heat will evenly distribute throughout the pan
* Can withstand any temperature you will find in a kitchen

Bad
* Stays hot for a while after being taken off heat
* Improper care will lead to rust
* Not dishwasher safe

Knowing the cons before you get started goes a long way to prevent being disappointed. To counteract the negatives I recommend always using an oven mitt when handling this pan. Lodge logic makes the following product Lodge Max Temp Handle Mitt, Black to deal with the hot handle, but I do not use it and personally find an oven mitt to be perfectly acceptable. Proper care entails always cleaning the pan immediately after use and drying it with a paper towel so that rust does not form.

To properly clean your pan after every use I strongly recommend purchasing a handheld scrubber. It works so much better than a grill brush or sponge. Using the following product SonicScrubbers HT Scrubbing Bubbles Power Household Cleaning Tool and Brushes I spend no more than 20-30 seconds cleaning this pan after every use and it is very easy. When I first started I used a combo of a grill brush and a sponge and it worked absolutely nowhere near as well as the scrubber. Using a scrubber head that fits nicely between the grooves in the pan and pulling the pan straight off the stovetop and moving to running water and applying the scrubber is easy and fast. Regardless of what method you use to clean up, make sure you do it ASAP, before you even eat what you've just made. Trust me, it will take you 30 seconds now, but upwards of 10 minutes if you let the grease and other cooking leftovers thicken in the pan. Also, you will read many places to never ever use soap in your pan as it will destroy the seasoning. Maybe if you were using an extremely caustic lye solution this would be true. The truth is, if you run into a hard to clean grease spot a little bit of normal dish soap can help get it off and your pan is going to be just fine. Just make sure to scrub gently, rinse it all off and dry immediately afterward.

Let's move on to actually cooking with the pan. When I first started I found that I was using much too high heat. The pan, being made of thick iron, takes a few minutes to get up to temperature. Don't rush it. I have never found a good reason to even go above medium heat with this pan. For fish and chicken I recommend setting the burner to a bit below medium. High heat will cause you to scorch the outside of your meat before the center even cooks all the way through, and will also cause tons of smoke to form, setting off your detectors. If you prefer to get a very high heat sear on a burger or a steak before moving to the grill pan I would personally recommend that you use a separate flat pan to sear it (so that it will be even instead of the grill mark sear) and because the cast iron will retain the high temperature for a full minute or two before cooling down to a more reasonable temperature for cooking the rest of the meat.

Secondly, use cooking spray or oil on the pan. Which oil to use depends on what temperature you want to cook. Butter and olive oil smoke at around 350 degrees while canola oil or peanut oil will afford you an extra 100 degrees before they start to smoke. Personally I find that cooking an extra minute or two at lower temperatures allows me to put out very tender and tasty meat. For steaks and chicken I typically use a generic cooking spray on my pan, then melt a small pat of butter in the pan. The meat won't sit in the butter due to the ridges of the pan, so you will be at your leisure to use a cooking brush to lightly coat the outside of the meat as you cook to keep it moist. As it cooks I brush the meat with its own juices and butter. To cook burgers I spray down the pan, season the burgers then place them in the pan. I let the burgers sit without moving them at all until juices start to come through the top of the burger. I then flip the burger just once and place a piece of cheese on it. After about another 2 minutes the burger is cooked perfectly and I move it straight to a bun. One other thing I would like to mention is the pan is not great for cooking sausages. They tend to cause an extremely smoky kitchen and take a while to cook all the way through. If you have to cook sausage indoors I would definitely use a flat pan rather than the grill pan.

To sum everything up, use an oven mitt, clean the pan immediately after usage (preferably with a scrubber), and use medium heat and you will find that you can cook a great piece of meat indoors with hardly any effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best burger you'll ever make indoors!, January 8, 2004
fast_matt (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
It's cast iron, so you can run this pan as hot as you dare to sear the flavor in. Makes excellent burgers and brats, with nice grill marks but no burned spots, even when well-done. Try that with a George Foreman and your burger will be black outside and dryer than the Mojave Desert inside.
The square pan provides plenty of room to fry up a few burgers and the hot juices in the bottom are made-to-order for sauteeing a few mushrooms, onions, or peppers to go on top. The handle is fatter than older Lodge designs and quite ergonomic as long as you're wearing an oven mitt. Cleans nicely by boiling a little water in the pan and giving it a quick scrub with a stiff round natural-bristle vegetable brush and the hottest water that'll come out of the tap.
I would recommend this pan over the 11.5" one Lodge also offers because the thicker bottom, smaller sides, and deeper walls of the 10.5" pan provide fairly even heat over the entire grill surface. It appears that the 11.5" pan is based on the griddle of the same size, and my 11.5" griddle is hot near the center and cooler near the edges when used on a burner - OK for hash browns, but bad for burgers, grilled cheese, and such.
Excellent product; if you can't grill outside, this pan is the next best thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for indoor grilling!, January 14, 2004
This is a great size for 4 burgers or two large steaks. Great for grilling any meat. I had a Calphalon grill pan and the cleanup was horrible, this one is a breeze & it will last forever. I highly recommend it and all Lodge cookware.

5.0 out of 5 stars GET GRILLING!, January 14, 2011
This Lodge Logic grill pan is a great addition to any
cooks kitchen, no matter what your level of experience is.
It cooks evenly and food will not stick if you
use it properly. The helper handle is great.
Clean up is EASY. I mean that!
The quality of the pan is excellent. Made in USA.

Just follow a few tips for best results:
Heat your pan slowly and thoroughly--patience!
Increase the heat slowly as it warms up. All stoves vary, but I am able to
sear/grill on less than medium heat.
If grilling marinaded meats, pat them dry first so they don't "steam".
If grilling dry rub meats, pat with a bit of canola oil.
Use your exhaust fan, and a spatter screen if grilling less than lean meats.
Once you place the food in the grill do NOT turn it too soon!
Allow it to sear properly so it won't stick.
Bobby Flay videos on indoor grilling are excellent.

Invest in a decent nylon bristle brush for cleaning.
Allow the pan to cool enough to handle, but clean while its still warm.
(drain any remaining oils and fats on newspaper in the garbage)
Run pan under hot water and scrub with brush--quickly!
Do NOT strip the oils out. Just brush out any food particles.
Pat the grill dry with paper towel and return to the stove burner on the lowest setting
and allow the pan to finish drying. Do not over-heat it!
It will only take a minute or 2.

Never soak your grill or use detergents.
Cast iron is incredibly durable, efficient, healthy and
fun to cook with.
Lodge products are the best.

See photos!

3.0 out of 5 stars good, July 18, 2005

I've used this quite often. However, I thought I'd be more impressed. Food seems to stick and burn, although it's gotten a bit better after more use.

Like outdoor grilling, you have to make sure the pan is hot enough, put the meat in the pan and not move it around or keep flipping. Just wait until the one side is done, then flip. I'm going to try to (re)season it myself and see if that helps.

Adds a nice flavor to the food and leaves grill marks. Whatever you do, don't touch the handle after heating without a hot pad. The entire pan gets extremely hot.

Despite the sticking, it cleans up rather nicely. When there's food stuck to the bottom, I put it back on the stove with a little water, bring it to a boil, throw in a bit of baking soda and let it boil for about 5 minutes. After it cools a bit, scrub it with a sponge and it comes right off and looks new again.

You do have to make sure to dry your cast iron well if it gets wet - or it will rust. If this happens, don't throw it out! Scrub the rust off with a brillo pad or a ball of crumpled aluminum foil, rinse, dry well and reseason it.

If you're trying to decide between the grill or flat pan, I'd choose the flat pan first. I also have the pre-seasoned flat pan and like it more. It's easier to work with and doesn't smoke quite as much. Also a little easier to clean because it doesn't have the grilling surface.

Cast iron is very heavy, but sturdy, conducts great heat & will last a lifetime. Keep a hot pad close by so you won't forget to use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent flavour, grill marks and easy cleanup, January 8, 2007
C (Guilford, CT USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Pros: The square shape of this pan can accomodate 4 medium sized chicken breasts or 2 decent sized steaks. The high sides help prevent the cooking from splattering all over the stovetop. The tall grill ridges provide good sear marks and let the grease accumulate on the bottom. That grease continues to cook under AND away from the meat giving it a hint of smoke that is as close as you can get to a charcoal grill. Clean up is easy: when cool, use a stiff brush and plain hotwater, then reheat on the grill and wipe down w/ papertowel soaked in oil.

Cons: You will still need to season it a little. It will smoke when you try to grill on it the first 10 X or so. It is ugly and heavy.

Tips on seasoning: the oven method works fine, but the best (and quickest) way to season this grill pan is to fill it partway w/ cooking oil and deep fry something like you would in a skillet. The sides are high enough and after a few times, your grill pan will be seasoned.

If you want a grill pan that gives great flavour get this one. If you don't want the flavour get the other ones on the market. If you care about splattering, get this one, if you don't get the flat grills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pan for a couple of people, September 2, 2005
I love this pan. As for cooking: This pan does a great job on steaks, burgers, chicken, whatever. Leaves really nice grill marks. The only thing you will need to do is have a cover or splatter shield for it. I use a 16" round cover from a much bigger pan just to avoid some of the little drops of grease spattering out on my range. This seems to work just find for me.

As for Cleaning: I let it cool a little after cooking and pour some water (no soap!) into the bottom of the pan while it is just hot enough for the water to boil a little, and using a wooden spatula (only use wood in this pan), I scrape all the fond away (burnt tasty bits stuck to the pan) and pour into the sink. I repeat this once or twice and put the pan back on the heat and wipe it down with a paper towel. I then use some supermarket brand canola oil spray and lightly coat the inside while the pan is still warm. Takes about 2 minutes to do this. I store this pan in my oven since it tends to have a light coat of oil on it all the time. This pan is so well worth the hand cleaning to have especially since I live in an apartment and don't have access to a grill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Cooking Steaks, February 25, 2008
I got this pan in order to cook steaks indoors during the winter, when I can't use my outdoor grill. It has worked beautifully. Basically just put a little Canola oil in the pan, sear each side over medium high heat for 2 minutes, then transfer the entire skillet to a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 8-9 minutes (not a minute more). Let the steaks rest in the pan under a tent of aluminum foil for 5 minutes prior to serving. The result is a steak that will rival those cooked on your charcoal grill in the heat of summer.

Also, make sure to let your steaks sit out 1-2 hours prior to cooking, to bring them to room temperature. And only use a tongs to turn the steak once.

Others have stated that there is excess smoke when cooking w/ this pan. I have not found that to be the case at all in my experience.

I was worried about cleanability since the instructions said NOT to use soap in the cleanup process. I have found that using a vegetbable/fruit cleaning brush works perfectly for cleaning the pan each time. It gets right down into the ridges nicely. Even caked-on macaroni and cheese came off without too much work.

I absolutely love cooking with this pan - it just feels like this is truly how meals ought to be cooked, the way the were ages ago.