Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
(THREE AND A HALF STARS) First of all let me say I love cast iron! I have two skillets that were handed down from my husband's Mother and they have been seasoned for probably 30 years so maybe that has spoiled me. Slick as a whistle!!
Of course I did not expect a new preseasoned pot to match those lovely heirloom pans that have cooked thousands of country meals. That being said, in my opinion, the "preseasoning" on this new Dutch oven is a little too rough (as in bumpy sprayed on) for my liking, and the lid was BADLY mottled on the underneath side. The lid was also not quite black and did not match the pot. For the price I expected a little better. I am now reseasoning it in my oven and I'm sure it will be great after some of the "roughness" goes away. I have used it three times so far and I have had no problem with sticking but I will definately work towards smoothing it out. Can't complain one bit about how great it cooks, BUT it seems to me that a smoother surface will result in better nonstick abilities. Therefore I am reseasoning the pot. Something to note as well is that after purchasing this 4 quart I noticed that the 5 quart here on Amazon is A LOT less expensive. I would have gone with that one had I done my homework properly. I can see how this 4 quart will be good for a lot of things, but is it worth the extra $$ and couldn't a gal (or guy) do the same thing in a 5 quart if you don't mind the extra weight?
Bottom line: I would buy the regular old unseasoned pot and season it myself if I could. Cook's Illustrated said that Lodge no longer makes the non preseasoned pans because more people like the pre-seasoned. NOT ME! Call me "old fashioned". I did read a review on another Lodge pan here on Amazon where the lady said to run it through the oven on the self cleaning cycle to remove the "factory" finish and start over.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on May 1, 2015
Don't buy this as a bread oven!
If you are thinking of buying this Dutch Oven for use as a bread baking oven like Ken Forkish recommends don't. This is a great Dutch Oven and I love Lodge products BUT for bread the Lodge 3 Quart # LCC3 combo cooker is much easier to use and costs less. Simply flip it over so the skillet part is on the bottom preheat everything to 450 or 475 Once it is preheated you can invert the proofing basket directly into the shallow skillet and cover with the deeper pot portion to bake for 15 min. or so covered and then finish uncovered for another 20 min. or so. This is much safer than trying to lower the dough into a deep and very hot Dutch Oven.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again