Lodge Camp Dutch Oven, 6 Qt
Size Name: 6 qtChange
Price:$55.52 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 26, 2006
Size Name: 4-Qt
People seem to either love, hate, or have total disinterest in cast iron cookware. I love it. It seems to have a lot more soul than "modern" utensils.

I've been reading "Little House on the Prarie" to my daughter and she enjoyed hearing how the Ingalls used a pot just like daddy has.

This dutch oven is quite versitile. I can use it with campfire coals, with charcoal, over my Coleman campstove, or in the oven at home. The legs are too long to use on my rangetop at home (without risking damage to the range surface).

Dutch oven cooking is an acquired skill (on top of the general cast iron learning curve), but I've had no problems so far. I have mostly used it to make chicken or beef stew when camping.

Once you get hooked on dutch ovens, then you start wanting accessories. I use a charcoal chimney to start the coals, a pair of metal tongs to move the coals around, and a metal oil drain pan to contain the coals. I've just ordered a Lodge lid lifter, lid rack, and leather gloves to make the whole process a bit easier and safer.

I'm also already thinking of my next dutch oven. It will be the "deep" 8 quart. The 4 quart being reviewed here is 10" diameter at the lid and 3-1/2" deep. The "deep" 8 quart is 12" at the lid and 5" deep. (The standard depth 12" oven is 6 quarts, the standard depth 8 quart is 14" diameter). For soup or stew I like to leave some space below the rim so I probably only get 3 quarts in the 4 quart model, while the deeper 8 quart model would allow a greater percentage of the volume to be used. I imagine for bisquits or other baked goods the standard depth is probably fine.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 16, 2011
Size Name: 4-Qt
This is the classic Dutch Oven that is used by boy scouts, girl scouts, chuck wagon cooks, and outdoor enthusiasts of all kinds. My review is mostly limited to the outdoor uses of this wonderful classic dutch oven, but I use one at home as well. Measures 10 across by 10 tall with legs and lid by 3-1/2 inches deep inside and hold 4 quarts/1 gallon. This model is about half the size of the "standard" popular #12 or 8 quart dutch oven most commonly used, but there many sizes bigger and smaller. It has the tripod legs and a recessed lid best suited for cooking in coals. But those legs make it harder to use in a conventional oven, you need to maneuver the legs if possible onto your grill rack. They make a legless version with the domed lid for a home oven, and I have used it in a fire as well. On this model, you can even flip this lid over and use it as a skillet in a pinch if you need to in camp. You can do it all with Dutch Ovens - cobblers, stews, beans, roasts, dumplings, you name it. It is the ultimate "one pot" pan.

QUALITY: There is a reason you can find old cast iron pans in antique stores, it lasts forever. I have quite a few pans and stuff inherited from family members and even some garage sale finds. I have found pans rusted and abused to where they would head for the trash bin if they were made of anything else, but you can bring cast iron back with some elbow grease and a re-seasoning or two. While my modern expensive non-stick cookware seems to last no more than a few years before replacement in my kitchen, but this stuff can easily last many decades of daily use. Lodge has a life time warranty! I love to cook with cast iron even at home, it is so durable, but I can take it camping too. Easy to clean up, the only drawback being it is heavy and hard on your wrists as you get older. Cast iron takes a bit longer to heat up, but the heat transfers very evenly without hot spots and it retains its heat for a long time. It can go from stovetop to oven with ease. Do not use it at temperatures higher than 500 degrees, as it can crack. People swear certain foods just taste better in cast iron, and I believe that cast iron only improves with use and proper care instead of wearing out like other pans. My oldest pans attest to that. As for Lodge, there really is a big difference in quality, their current pans are noticeably better than the other brands.

SEASONING FINISH: Seasoning of cast iron cookery does not refer to flavor, but the finish, a kind of glaze on the pan. I love old pans because they have the best seasoning, the older the better. I have inherited many old pans. The modern version sold here is "pre-seasoned" and is supposed to be ready to cook in, but the pre-seasoning could probably use a touch up and I will tell you how to do that. It needs to stay black and shiny inside to stay seasoned. If you do lose your seasoning due to rust or an overaggressive cleaning, simply wipe it with oil inside and out and place it in a 350 degree oven for an hour, upside down. Let it cool in the oven slowly and naturally to room temperature again. You can place foil in the bottom of your oven to catch any drips. It also helps to wipe it with a paper towel of oil after every cleaning, or spray it with cooking oil and wipe. If it gets rusty, re-season it, you can get it like new again. DO NOT cook on it without re-seasoning though, as the food will stick. A note on what type of oil to use for seasoning, if you can do so use bacon grease, lard or butter, because vegetable oil can sometimes get a little sticky in the pan and does not seem to get enough glaze as the animal based fats in my experience.

CLEANING: There is a debate on the cleaning of cast-iron that is as old as the pans, as to whether to use soap or not and how that affects sanitation. The Lodge company recommends cleaning without soap, but some people do so under certain circumstances. To clean without soap wash it with hot water and scrub it with a long handle brush or plastic scrubber, but never a metal scrubber as you can scratch the seasoning glaze. If you made a big mess with a cobbler and it is baked on and you just can't get it off, try this. Fill the pan half way with water, and put it to boil. Turn of the heat, then using an oven mitt to protect yourself pour the water out to about 1/4 full, then use the long handle scrubber to get the gunk out, It works for me. If you do use soap, just dip your scrubber in the dishwater but don't immerse your pan in it or pour soap into the pan. Immediately drying the pan is critical to its care either way, as soon as you clean the pan hand dry it with a paper towel and re-oil the pan immediately. For the most part, cast iron is non-stick as long as it is seasoned. If you use the pan on a fire, you can get soot on the exterior. An old Boy Scout trick to keep the exterior clean of soot if used on a campfire, is to treat the pan prior to cooking in the following manner. First wipe the pan (exterior only!) with some wet soap or a wet SOS pad, then let it dry before using it on the fire. Then when you are ready for washing, the soap has laid a protective layer over the exterior surface and the soot just wipes right off when you clean up with water.

ACCESSORIES: There are plenty of terrific Dutch oven and cast iron cook books here at Amazon.com. You can also get videos/DVD on Dutch Oven cooking like the one with Cee Dub. You can get affordable accessories too such as a Dutch oven tote bag, tongs, lid lifter, lid stand, and gloves. To be safe if cooking on coals or fire, use the lid lifter accessory, it will keep you from getting burned. I highly recommend this pan, and have decades of experience behind that statement, enjoy your cobbler!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 6 qtVerified Purchase
Before my wife and I were recently married, we both enjoyed camping with groups. Now we are establishing our own collection of camping equipment, and enjoying camping on our own. In studying camping, I became intrigued by the Dutch oven, and the fact that you can do about anything with it you can with a stove and oven at home - bake, broil, boil, fry, roast, etc. Mainly, I dreamed of making a pizza in camp!
Reasearching many publications by Dutch oven fanatics, one thing was consistent: Lodge is the best. They also recommend starting with a 12" oven, as most recipes are for this size. (Probably because a 12" oven has nearly the same bottom area as a standard 9x13 baking dish or cake pan.)
I can't compare against any other makes, as I don't have any, but this oven does not disappoint. It seems well-made, and the lid fits precisely as it should.
I didn't want to pay extra for the seasoning, but with Super Saver shipping, Amazon was selling this for almost half what I could get the non-pre-seasoned model for shipped from anywhere else. (Most mail-order retailers add an additional fee for the heavy Dutch oven on top of their regular shipping charge.) I am amazed at how easy it is to clean, even with my amateur experiments. I haven't had to use any more than very little scrubbing with a Scotch-Brite pad to get a few stubborn spots off, and the pre-seasoning allowed me to bake with it the evening it arrived!
In the first week, I've tried brownies, pizza, sourdough rolls, cinnamon rolls, baked macaroni and cheese, and fried up bacon on the lid. I'm looking forward to getting a lifetime of use out of this, and will shortly add some other sizes. (I suspect the 8" will be better for casserole-type meals for just me and my wife.)
on May 8, 2008
Size Name: 6 qt
Anyone who grew up in a family with an active outdoor lifestyle that included camping, hunting, fishing and horses will most likely be very familiar with the Lodge brand name and with these Dutch ovens. This review is for those who haven't had as much exposure to these wonderful products.

I own 5 lodge cast iron Dutch ovens (1 x 10in 4qt indoor, 1 x 10in 4qt camp, 1 x 14in 10qt camp and 2 x 12in 6qt camp) and I couldn't be happier with them. Since the link for this product is for the 12in 6 qt camp oven I will concentrate on that one but this review can easily be applied to any of the Dutch ovens produced by lodge.

I purchased one of my 12in ovens last year the other was my fathers and has been used for well over 15 years. The first question you may ask is, "Why Lodge?" Well, I respond by saying, "Made in the USA!" The other popular brand on the market is based here in Utah but the label clearly states that it is made in China. Second, you should choose Lodge for the quality of the product. Lodge produces a thick and heavy feeling oven that other brands don't seem to have. Lodge just feels much denser. Yes, these are heavy as most cast iron products are. But, it's this heavy cast iron that makes them work so well. It isn't hard to achieve and maintain desired temperature with cast iron. Cast iron requires seasoning to prevent food from sticking to the surface and this seasoning, once established, should not be cleaned with dish detergent. If you use detergent you should use very little; otherwise, you will need to re-season the oven. The blacker these things get the better they cook. When not being used, cast iron should be coated with a thin layer of cooking oil or shortening. My father coated his with shortening and it has been stored in a shed, exposed to water and weather, for several years since his passing and it doesn't have a single spot of rust.

Camp Dutch oven cooking is becoming increasingly popular and there are numerous resources available to help you get the most out of your oven. I firmly believe the best oven to start with is the 6qt 12in oven. It is really the standard oven that most recipes are created for. If you want to purchase another one right away I would recommend the 10in 4qt for deserts and breads. As far as the indoor cast iron Dutch ovens are concerned, I really only use mine in the winter when I can't get outside to play with my other ovens. But, the indoor 10in does make an excellent chicken fryer and gumbo pot!
on June 9, 2009
Size Name: 2 qtVerified Purchase
I like to cook with Dutch Ovens. I also like to experiment with new recipes that are not necessarily designed for a Dutch Oven. I have four other Dutch Ovens: Two 12 inch, one 10 inch and a 14 inch. Over the years I have done my experimental recipes in one of the larger ovens. This is fine if everything works correctly and I have 6 to 8 people to feed, but for much smaller groups and/or bad results, I like the smaller oven.

Within a day of receiving the oven I tried a dessert recipe, but cut the amount by three quarters. Although it came out good, it still made six servings, but this was better than the 24 servings the full recipe made. My wife and I had dessert for three nights. I have now used it at least a dozen times in the past month for cooking everything from desserts, game hens, roasts and homemade spaghetti sauce. I am thinking of buying a second, and a friend (a Dutch Oven cook) is looking at acquiring one for himself.

For small groups, couples, etc, this 8 inch Dutch Oven is an excellent addition to anyone's Dutch Oven and cast iron cookware collection.

One final note: All of the cooking was done in an outside BBQ area designed for Dutch Oven cooking using charcoal.
Size Name: 4-Qt
I purchased this dutch oven to use with my Cub Scout pack. It is fantastic! I have used it twice to make biscuits and they were wonderful. I also purchased the 8 quart dutch oven and made deer stew for the entire pack . The pots were very easy to clean up . I highly recommend this item and I am considering purchasing an additional one to use for making dessert.
on July 13, 2009
Verified Purchase
I have wanted a camp dutch oven for a long time and finally treated myself. I did a lot of research and choose the Lodge camp model for several reasons. The company has a great name and has been in business for generations. The customer reviews on this product were all positive. I have used my dutch oven several times INDOORS in my kitchen oven and it works great for baking No Knead Bread (the New York Times recipe). It fits right onto the oven rack. We took it camping and because of the three sturdy legs, you can do all sorts of camp, outdoor cooking. Also, my research indicated that the vast majority of dutchoven recipes are written for the 6-quart oven, so I recomend getting that one. That way, you won't have to spend lots of time converting recipe measurements in to your different-sized oven. (By the way, the Lodge oven comes with a terrific instruction manual which includes dozens of great recipes and exact instructions on how many coals to put on top and underneath.)

I absolutely recommend that you also buy the lid lifter and the lid holder. The lifter is designed to lift the heavy, very hot lid off in a balanced way, so no ash falls in to your meal. The lid holder/rester gives you a place to place the heavy lid when you are cooking outdoors and need to check or stir what you are cooking. Another great aspect is that you can turn the lid holder upside down, place coals around it, place the dutch oven lid on inverted, and use the lid as a griddle! Great for versatile camp cooking without bringing a camp stove or fry pan along.

The oven is very heavy, and when you add the lifter and holder, it is a lot to store and carry. I put ours in an old but sturdy canvas bag and that works great for easy transport. Enjoy!
on October 8, 2007
Size Name: 4-QtVerified Purchase
I ignored the previous review that recommended scrubbing this and seasoning it yourself, and that decision quickly proved unwise. The day I bought it I made easy cobbler from the great book that is included. The book said to spray some cooking spray on it and heat it up before use, which I did. Unfortunately, the cobbler, which was indeed very easy and good, absolutely fused to the dutch oven. It was the by far the hardest cleaning job I have ever had to do. I scrubbed for hours, and will reseason it. This is a very nice heavy weight dutch oven, the included book is very nice, the price was great. Still it will take me a long time to get over the tremendous cleaning job I had to go through. Buy this, but scrub it and reseason first.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 15, 2009
Size Name: 2 qt
Bought this specifically for camping. Took it out for the first time and cooked cornbread. Excellent results, nicely browned all over and no sticking whatsoever. My wife commented how surprised she was with the even browning.

A note-I did season it again once I got it as I have found the factory seasoning to be less than ideal on other preseasoned lodge fry pans and ovens.
on January 24, 2010
Size Name: 1 qt
To understand the handle on the lid you need to know the history of this pot. Lodge used to make a 5" size. They discontinued that size and the prices on auction sites went insane. The president of Lodge claimed they could not be made on their new production equipment. Then my 5" lid went missing. I was on a mission to replace it. I read a post about some unique Lodge products that were only made for Japan. That sent me on a surfing trip to Japanese Dutch Oven sites. I could not read a single character but I found the picture of what I sought a 5" Lodge Dutch Oven. A long and language challenged correspondence followed resulting in me securing my goal. It was a challenge but Lodge had managed to produce 2000 for the Japanese market. This while telling fans and customers in the USA it was impossible. When the fans in the US found out that they had not exactly been told the truth they were not happy. A short time later Lodge announce the 6" model which is easier to cast on their machinery.

It is still too small for a proper handle on the lid so it just has a tab. Many people drill a hole in the tab and add a split ring so that the lid will work with a lid lifter. Fire gloves and fencing pliers also work to handle a hot lid.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations