4.0 out of 5 stars Great Skillet, Flimsy Loop Handle
I always heard that if you are serious about beef steak, you cook it on hot cast iron. Well, after getting this pan, I found out this to be true. It's also great for chicken, pork, and lamb but I still prefer a non-stick surface for fish and eggs.

Published on December 8, 2005 by Joshua Cohen

3.0 out of 5 stars It Looks Great, But...
I have to admit, one of the factors that lead me to buy the Lodge Pro-Logic 12" skillet was that it looked sexy. I read a lot of reviews, which were all generally favorable, but now, after having used it for a few weeks, I feel I might have been better off with the more classic design in the 12 inch.

A few things I'm going to keep in mind if I decide to...
Published on December 24, 2007 by Jolly Roger Park

3.0 out of 5 stars It Looks Great, But..., December 24, 2007

A few things I'm going to keep in mind if I decide to replace this skillet include the size - the 12' measurement refers to the outside diameter. When you take into account the sloped sides, the flat cooking surface is more like 8.5 - 8.75 inches. A friend has a "Wagner 1891 original" in a 10.5 inch and the cooking surface is the same, give or take a quarter inch. The sloped sides may also make it easier to tip food out of the skillet or maneuver a spatula, but if you're interested in this feature for tossing and flipping food then you need to be a strong person with strong wrists, or get ready to have both hands on the handle (or handles) - this skillet is pretty heavy.

I was also expecting the handle to be more ergonomic, but It's broad and flat (about 1.5" wide) which turned out to be a little awkward for me. To hold it comfortably (and I have fairly large hands) I have to place the palm of my hand more fully on the underside of the handle for a more "underhanded" grip. Perhaps it's just me, but that's not usually how I hold a skillet.

The pre-seasoning works well - there was a little bit of sticking the first time around, but I was expecting that. All reviews I've read about the best non-stick performance of cast iron say it simply comes from years of use.

If you want sloped side cast iron for tossing and flipping food, I would recommend the Lodge Logic 10" chef's skillet. It's smaller, lighter weight, has a nice curved version of the standard handle, and if you're a stickler for detail, you might enjoy the presence of the pour spouts, which are not on the pro-logic 12".

Experienced Cooks may like or need some of the features of the Pro-Logic, and some might like a collection of different shaped skillets made out of different materials for all sorts of cooking, but I'm just an average guy who liked the idea of buying one skillet which would last the rest of my life. I would recommend a time tested design over the update.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Skillet, Flimsy Loop Handle, December 8, 2005
This review is from: Lodge Pro-Logic P12S3 Pre-Seasoned Skillet, 12-inch (Kitchen)

I also love the more contemporary styling. The only problem is the up-turned loop handle breaks off easily. I bought another one for a friend and it snapped off in shipping. I dropped my own (because I didn't use the loop handle) and again it snapped off.

Also...and this is not a criticism, just an observation...if you like traditional skillet cornbread, get the smaller (10 inch is good for this), more classically shaped style. The rounded sides of the pro logic skillet give the bread an odd flying saucer like quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Substitute for Teflon, February 12, 2006
on the river (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great shape for omlettes and frittatas, and is non-stick if you know how to use it. I just figured this out. You need one flat-bottom pan for searing at high heat and another (this one) for delicate, medium-heat foods like eggs and fish. I used to sear in all my cast iron but it would burn off the seasoning oils and my eggs would stick. Get rid off your cancer-causing non-stick pans and try this one. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice skillet I bought more Lodge Pre-seasoned items after using this one, September 21, 2005
knittingcircuit (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I went to Macy's looking for a cast iron skillet. They just had the small skillets and they weren't pre-seasoned. The clerk recommend that I go to Williams-Sonoma, which was in the mall. Williams-Sonoma had this skillet and it was priced at $24.

This is the first time I've seen pre-seasoned cast iron. You can use it right away! I made mac'n'cheese and broiled without having to change pots. My family said that was the best mac'n'cheese I've ever made. This convince me to purchase more Lodge Pre-seasoned pots,pans, muffin cups, etc. Amazon has them priced right and the free s&h makes it more attractive. Happy Cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast iron re-introduced: a wonderful skillet!, March 6, 2005
I had not used a cast iron skillet in many years, and due to not knowing how to care for it properly back then, it became rusty and I gave up on cast iron.

BUT, I was re-introduced to cast iron again a few months ago when I bought this skillet. I'm so glad, too: it's absolutely one of the best skillets I've ever had! The pre-seasoning makes it so easy to use and care for, and everything I've cooked in it turns out great. With minimal care, it stays in top condition. I just love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still getting used to the sheer weight!, January 24, 2008
Wow this is heavy, but what a great skillet! Excellent construction, and the loop handle is awesome. The Logic coating worked great for me out the door. It's a little rough, but as others have said will quickly smooth out after a few uses. I tried not to cook things that would get tied up in the roughness like eggs and stuck to frying meats and such until the seasoning is fully developed.

Care and maintenance hasn't been a problem so far, just a little extra step to scrub it while it's hot. I've been just using Pam spray and a quick wipe after washing and that's been going well. Looking forward to lots of great cooking with this skillet!

UPDATE: After 8 months this pan is absolutely the workhorse of my kitchen. It's the first pan I reach for for almost any application. The seasoning has developed beautifully and absolutely nothing sticks to it.

Updated Update: 2 years and going strong. Some of the best money I've ever spent for the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pan for searing, March 2, 2008
L. Ooi (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
Overall quite satisfied with this item. This would be my second cast iron pan, and it is great for searing meats, or cooking eggs. No sticking as others have noted, but cast iron does have its limitations. You cannot deglaze after searing something, since wine is usually acidic. You also cannot braise, since tomato sauces, and vinegars are acidic. The sloped edges allow for easy cleaning, and I use a wok brush, as opposed to a nylon brush. Nylon melts when it meets the hot iron surface. It is also too heavy for flipping foods, although the sloped sides suggest you can. No, I'm no measly featherweight cook, but this is still mega heavy, especially with the small handle. Of course, the small handle is good for cabinet storage.
In summary, I would suggest the straight edge model instead of this one, and don't let this be your only pan. Great for diner style foods I would say.

5.0 out of 5 stars My most essential cooking utensil, March 19, 2006
I love the way cast iron cooks. Not to mention it is so nice to spend less on something that lasts longer and is easier to clean up!

I do have problems lifting things sometimes, but this is about the same amount of work as the non-stick pans that I used to have, although slightly heavier, the handles are ergonomic and the loop on the other side of the handle compensates by making a balanced lifting motion easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Skillet, August 5, 2006
Camp Cook (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
Lodge has lived up to it's reputation once again. Having cooked with cast iron for many years both indoors and out I was intrigued by the new design and that it was pre-seasoned. I purchased the 8", 10" and 12" sizes of this iron skillet and after a quick clean-up with soap and hot water and a little time on the stove with some oil in them to dry them out completely I started using them. I did find that the first time or two of use some of the things cooked did stick a little but now the skillets are working very well. We purchased a set of them for our daughter who is getting married as a wedding gift and our other daughter wants a set for her family

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it. But you need to sand the cooking surface., May 11, 2011
I have many Lodge products. I sanded them with electric sander and they work great. This one is good-looking but hard to sand because of the curve shape. But if you use it everyday it'll get smooth. I wish Lodge have the smooth surface version too. I threw away my fancy non-stick pans and converted to cast-iron and stailess steel and glass cookware only.

Rate and Discover Movies