Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

on April 23, 2011
First off, I really like this camera. Mainly I wanted to share some helpful tips with others that may be considering this for purchase.

1. This is a night vision camera. If you use this outside in the daylight colors will appear different than they do to the human eye. This is normal. (It looks like my trees are Cherry Blossom's in full bloom. Kind of cool.)

2. They hard code an IP address in the camera and expect to see your home network in the 192.168.0.X range. If it's not, (like mine, it's a 192.168.2.x net) then you may have difficulty getting to the camera from your PC to set it up. I simply backed up my router configs, changed it to a 192.168.0.x network, reset my PC's networking, and I was able to browse to the camera and set it up to where I wanted it.

3. This is an indoor camera. If you plan on pointing it out a window it will work pretty good during the day, but after dark the infrared lights will reflect back off the glass and blind the image. This is normal for this type of camera. You can still point it out the window, but you'll need to do something like cover the existing LED's on the camera and purchase an "infrared illuminator" (there are several on Amazon) and install it outside the window, covering the area you want to see.

4. I have 64 bit Windows7 and could not get the little CD to work for me, but was able to configure the camera just fine via my web browser after I got through the initial networking stuff mentioned above.

On the CON side, I'd have to say that it would have been smarter to simply make the networking DHCP and not have hard coded the IP address. I'm sure a this has confused folks into thinking that their camera was dead on arrival. I'd also like to have an easy way to turn the built in infrared LEDs off if I want to use an external source. That's all the negatives I have though. Great bang for your buck.
99 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Loftek Nexus 543 wireless security camera was surprising in the resolution, sharpness and accurate color of its image during daylight. I was also impressed with its performance at night. The Infrared LEDs did an excellent job of illumination and actually were almost too bright for the center of the image... but the majority of the rest of the image area was illuminated very well thanks to the 36 infrared LEDs surrounding the lens of this camera.

The camera is housed in an aluminum enclosure that is rated IP66. This rating is about as good as it gets and means that the enclosure is dust-proof and will be able to withstand a strong, direct stream of water. In other words, this camera should be able to withstand outdoor conditions without any issues. The body is roughly the size of a 12oz can of soda. There is a hood/shield over the camera body that extends out and over the front of the camera and allows for about an inch or so of fore and aft adjustment.

Out of the rear of the camera is a 2 foot long cord bundle that contains an ethernet port. Two additional wires at the end of the cord provide a power port and a reset button for the camera. The ethernet is used for initial setup of the camera and can also be used to circumvent the wireless capabilities of the camera if you want to use the camera as a wired ethernet camera instead. Power to the camera is provided by an AC adapter rated 100-240v and 50/60Hz.

Because of the relatively short cord of the AC adapter wire, you would need to tap into AC power from a wall switch or fixture in close proximity to where the camera needs to be installed otherwise you would need to use extension cords which is not desirable.

The mounting hardware included with the camera is lightweight duty and you might want to upgrade the mounting hardware depending on your installation needs.

There is no audio capability in this particular model of camera. My video clearly demonstrates the quality of the image from the camera in day and night conditions.

So for the price, this camera provides a lot of value.

Setup is another matter. I have a pet peeve against poor documentation. How difficult can it be for a company to spend a few thousand dollars to have a qualified technical copywriter produce adequate documentation? The quickstart guide included with this camera is so poorly translated and written that it makes setup of this camera way more difficult than it needs to be. In fact, once I worked my way through the setup through trial and error, I realized that it's not really difficult at all, It's just that the poor documentation makes it confusing and seemingly difficult. Maybe a user with more experience with security cameras and router setup would not have experienced the problems I did, but my point is that the "average" user will more than likely run into the same difficulties that I did.

Basically, if you want to use the camera strictly on your LAN... that is if you have the camera mounted outside your house and just want to be able to view the image from a computer in your house, it's relatively easy to setup. If you also want to be able to view the image from the WAN... that is from any computer on the Internet, that requires altering settings in your router which will be confusing to many people because of the poor documentation. The reality is that is also is not that difficult to do.

Regarding the software that is provided with the camera... it provides basic functionality but some people may choose to use other third-party software. That's entirely up to the user.

I used both a PC running Windows 8 and a Mac running Mountain Lion to setup the camera. Some of the software provided is only compatible on a PC but a PC is not required to setup the camera. The software for PC is optimized for Internet Explorer. Using any other browser will not provide complete control of the camera and no browser on the Mac will allow complete control of the camera.

I am not that familiar with wireless security cameras nor the setup of same. I am also not an expert at network setup but am not a complete idiot either. I'm somewhat technically inclined, just not well-versed in the intricacies of port-forwarding and more advanced router setup procedures. Having said that, I found the procedure for getting this camera working over the WAN to be daunting. It took no less than 2 hours of putzing around before I finally "got it" largely due to the poorly written quickstart guide and marginally better documentation available on the Lofetk website.

The Loftek Nexus 543 security camera is great, particularly when taking price into consideration. It's the hardware that deserves the bulk of the rating since the software can be replaced by third party software and the poor documentation can be worked around as well. So for the price the camera performs well and seems pretty well built.

Since I have not had the camera very long at the time I am writing this review, I can't speak as to the long-term performance. I will update my review if necessary.

I look forward to the possibility of reviewing other models of security cameras by Loftek.

UPDATE: 4/12/2013: Regarding the mysterious powder that I mention in my review... I alerted the company that supplied me with the camera to that and offered to send them back the camera for further investigation. They had nothing to say except they didn't know what it was either. But apparently they didn't want to see the camera either so.......

I was provided a sample for review.
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2011
I bought a non-PTZ camera to watch my puppy while I was away at work. It's a nice camera but I found that I needed to be able to pan or tilt to see anything beyond the set view. I was skeptical in PTZ cameras being so cheap in price as usually for a good quality one they would be hundreds more. I took a chance on the loftek one and I was very impressed.

I opened the box and everything was there including a little CD for drivers. Well I have a slot loaded CD that can't accept these so I surfed the net to try and find the drivers. no luck. So I wrote support and with a few hours they wrote back saying please send us your regular email and we will send you the drivers. I was skeptical that they actually would but I sent my email anyway and waited. The next day I checked my inbox and low and behold there was a compressed file with all the goodies in it to get me going. Setup was easy and the PTZ option is great. I even setup audio to be the "voice of god" for when my pup is being bad or on the couch. The audio feature works but only with IE.

Now that the dog is pretty well behaved I'm going to move this to an external camera for security. I then told myself, bummer I wish they had white because black really sticks out, at least on my home. I wrote to them and asked if they had any white ones. Within a few hours they replied they would in a couple days. Sure enough I get another email in 2 days stating they now have em on Amazon. Amazing. I ordered 2 more just because the support experience was so good. The price can't be beat and the CS is great. This is my first review ever and I felt I really needed to do it because this experience was by and far the best experience I've had dealing with a company and their product support.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2011
Note: Updates to this review have been moved to the end.

Overall this is a good camera for the price point with one glaring flaw:

The camera ALWAYS attempts to make an outbound connection to a server in China (IP: 58.61.155.158). There is no way to disable this "feature". When I contacted Loftek support, here was the reply:

-------
Thanks for your message and suport on our product. Please don't worry , 58.61.155.158 is our server ip address . All of our camera ,if you ping its DDNS ,it will resolve to 58.61.155.158 . It is set up for your remote view. It is safe and have no influence to your network. If you still wanna disable it . please close the port forwarding for your camera and disable UPNP in your router. Thanks.
Any question , feel free to let me know.
Thanks for your time.
Best Regards.
-------

So what they suggest is that I modify my firewall to fix a problem in their product. I have suggested that they change the firmware to make this an option that is turned off by default.

Note: Given the way the firmware is designed you can't turn off this feature. It would be easy to make this an "option" so the customer could disable it. The camera will ALWAYS attempt to make an outbound connection to the server mentioned above every time it is turned on. Don't know about you but I am not comfortable with a server in China knowing the externally visible IP address of my camera.

Update (28 November 2011): I have received numerous emails from Loftek asking me to "Fix" my review. I have asked them to stop emailing me with these requests, yet they persist. My review is not broken or inaccurate in any way. The emails claim that they have a way to remove the "hard coded" DDNS server address and to prevent the camera from making an unauthorized outbound connection to their DDNS server. Yet they have not provided me with the information as to "how" to accomplish this. I will continue to update this review. Should they actually provide a way to disable this outbound connection from within their product, I will update this review with that information.

Update (30 November 2011): Last night I received another email from Loftek support. Rather than ranting I will post the email and my response below. At this point I feel I have given Loftek every opportunity to fix the security flaw - to no avail. I have purchased another (non-Loftek) camera. I will post my review once it arrives and I have a chance to test it. Here is the email and response:

>Dear Terrence R. Bayne,
>Thanks for your message. As for your problem , we can delete the DDNS compeletly from your camera. Would you mind tell me if your camera >available for remote view now ? if it is ok , please sent me a Administrator account and password, so that our tech can access your camera >to destroy the DDNS. Please advise.

-- My response --

Let me be sure I understand what you are asking....

1. You want me to provide admin access to a device inside my firewall.
2. You want me to do this so your technician can modify my camera to
remove the DDNS information.

Is this correct?

If so my answer is "No". You will not get access to ANYTHING inside
my firewall. Not even temporarily.

This request clearly shows that you folks really don't have any idea
about network security, or security in general.

Why is it you won't provide the information so I can disable this
functionality myself? Obviously there is a way to do it, so provide
the information to the public so everyone can benefit (and can vet the
process as well).

Note that I will be adding portions of this email conversation to the
review on Amazon.

If you are NOT willing to provide the information on how to disable
the DDNS within the camera DO NOT CONTACT me further.
-------

Update (01 December 2011): Another round of emails with Loftek support. This shows how truly clueless they are. They seem to think it's ok to access a device inside my firewall (they assumed that I thought they wanted to access my PC and that I shouldn't be upset that they want to access the camera). And they feel that the "fix" is some sort of a trade secret. Here is their email and my reply:

Dear Terrence R. Bayne'
Thanks for your message. Acctually we just wanna access your camera not your PC. So sorry we can't offer the information to you to delete the DDNS because it involve our product brand. Hope you can understand. Anyway , if it is not available for us access your camera , we can sent you a replcement camera without given ddns.
Thanks for your time.
Best Regards

My Reply:

Good Morning,

Really? The automatic DDNS entry is some sort of "trade secret"? And
the method for removing it is also secret? Really? Wow, I think you
folks need a few lessons in computer security.

Finally, I am fully aware that you wanted to access the camera, not my
PC. You are aware that ANY device behind a firewall that has a CPU
and network access (and yes the camera has a CPU and network access)
is a potential security hole? Giving you access to ANY device inside
my firewall is an unreasonable request. Just so we are clear, the
camera is a device inside my firewall.

A few points:

1. Security through obscurity doesn't work - this means that hiding
your flaws/weaknesses doesn't make them disappear.
2. Providing customers with a way to fix a security hole in YOUR
product is just good business.
3. No customer who is concerned about network security is going to
give you access to a device inside their firewall. This is NOT a
reasonable request.
4. Your companies resistance to doing the right thing (in this case
the right thing is to admit to the fault, and provide existing
customers with a way to fix it) is becoming harder and harder to
understand. You have read the comments to my review from other
customers on Amazon right?

It is obvious that you have no intention of really fixing the issue,
or providing existing customers with a way of securing their own
cameras. This is a shame really, because other than this one serious
flaw, yours is a nice product. I am guessing that the reason you
don't provide a fix is that you don't have anyone in the company
qualified to update the camera's firmware to remove the issue. It is
unfortunate you have taken this stance on what is a simple firmware
issue. Your sales on Amazon for this product will likely fall, not
just because of the security issue with your camera, but because of
the way you have tried to handle the issue:

1. Denying it is an issue
2. Telling me not to worry, that I can trust you and your server.
3. Wanting access inside my firewall to provide me with a fix.

None of these inspire confidence with your company or your brand. And
I am guessing other potential buyers will feel the same.

Because sending me a "fixed" product doesn't fix the security issue
for potential customers, the review on Amazon will stay the way it is.

If you want to send me a camera, with the automatic DDNS connection
disabled, I am ok with that since it solves my issue. Once the new
camera arrives I will gladly send the other one back to any US address
you specify (note that I am unwilling to pay for shipping outside the
US).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update (December 14 2011):

On the 1st of December Loftek offered to send me a camera with the outbound hardcoded DDNS
connection disabled. Two weeks later I have not received the replacement camera, nor have I
heard back from Loftek.

I guess they didn't like the fact that I wouldn't change my review until they make the "fix"
available for all customers.
Update (Feburary 1, 2014)

This is the final update that I will be posting to this review.
As of this date the product still contains the security flaw. And it is enabled by default. The company has posted a "patch" that you can use to disable this "feature".

Several commenters on this review and the company (Loftek) have tried to "encourage" me to change this review.
That is not going to happen. They were given ample time to rectify the problem. Just to be clear here the problem is two-fold:

1. The default DDNS mode of the camera makes use of a Dynamic DNS server. This is enabled by DEFAULT. Unless you know enough to understand this and change it, installing this product leaves a hole in the security of your network.

2. Loftek's reaction upon being notified that this was an issue:

A. Denied it was a problem.

B. Wanted me to let them inside my firewall to "fix" the issue.

C. Offered (on December 1st , 2011) to send me a camera with the security issue fixed. That camera never arrived (not a big surprise).

D. Has offered a patch (via their website) that knowledgeable consumers can use to update the firmware on the product to remove the security issue. Note: I have not installed said patch, and have not in any way vetted the patch to be sure it does what they say it does. For me the solution was to simply block the camera from ever reaching the outside world via my firewall.

It's obvious to me that the company doesn't have much interest in changing the installed firmware and its inherent security flaw.
Does this flaw affect other Loftek camera products? I don't know. Nor am I willing to purchase more of them to find out.
6060 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2011
I am giving this camera five stars because its performance is by far the best of the three relatively low-price surveillance cameras I've tried recently. It has a few peripheral flaws that I cannot bring myself to deduct stars for because they are fairly easily resolved.

PROS:

The image is probably as good as it gets for a cheapish VGA-resolution camera (640 x 480 pixels). The infrared optics and electronics required for nighttime imaging do not seem to detract at all from the color fidelity of the daylight image, which is excellent. Unlike an even cheaper IR camera I tried, greens are not gray, grays are not green, and blacks are not red. All colors are as they should be.

The monochrome nighttime image quality is also the best I've found so far, much clearer and MUCH better detail than on the cheaper IR camera, even though its resolution was supposedly the same.

The 36 IR LEDs give bright, even illumination over the entire viewing area and up to at least 30 feet (which is as far as I care about), with no noticeable concentration of light in the center as the 11 LEDS on the cheaper camera did.

After initial setup with an Ethernet cable to the router (which is mandatory), I have used wireless connection exclusively with flawless results, in several different locations up to 80 feet from the router, inside and outside, with several interior and exterior walls and now even a massive triple-flue brick chimney in between.

The case of the camera is very impressively hefty and rugged. I don't doubt that it is as weatherproof as the manufacturer claims. The IP66 rating is indeed impressive. It means that NO solid particles can enter the camera body. Period. There is no dust fine enough to get through the seals. It also means that no jet of water at any pressure from any direction can enter the camera enclosure. It might be susceptible to liquids only if completely submerged.

Which leads me to the flaws:

CONS

Although the camera enclosure is impressively weatherproof, the electrical interface is not weatherproof at all, and it is permanently fixed to the camera through a singly hefty cable about a foot long. That cable ends in a receptacle for the Ethernet cable, which has two thinner cables about five inches long branching out the back, one to a connector for the power supply and the other to a small push-button reset switch. So any installation that takes advantage of the camera's ruggedness is going to have to provide separate and equal protection for those very vulnerable electronic connections, UNLESS you can bring the cable directly indoors within a foot of the camera. I can't do that, so I'm having to rig up another enclosure for them that will be mounted next to the camera. A little better attention to the design of the electronic interface would have made the camera's IP66 rating more easily exploited.

The mounting bracket is one of the worst I have ever had the misfortune to wrestle with. I'm too angry at it right now to say much more, except that getting it adjusted and stable is a nightmare.

The included software - as other reviewers have noted - is lame, as is most of the documentation (which completely ignores the mounting issues I just described). Clearly the manufacturer invested all its development budget in the camera itself, which at least was a wise choice. The camera really is so good that I still refuse to deduct even one star for these deficiencies.

COMMENTS

After a couple of hours' research, I followed another reviewer's lead and got Blue Iris software to control the camera. It is fantastic, and it's well worth the cost of $30 (support for one camera only) or $50 (up to 64 cameras). It makes setting up flawless motion detection, viewing video clips, zooming, panning (only in SW with this camera, but also in hardware with appropriate cameras), etc., a breeze. It has built-in support for this camera, and the only thing I haven't been able to do yet with it is adjust brightness and contrast, for which I had to use the included IPCamera Soft software. I did not have Blue Iris yet when I set up the camera's network interface through the Ethernet cable, so you may have to use the included software bundle to do that too. But that part is well enough documented and easy enough that it's okay.

Finally: the color. Maybe color names have different meanings in China, but I never in a million years would have described this camera as "silver gray." It is a lovely lilac color, a definite, unmistakeable LILAC, without any hint of gray, although it IS a sort of silvery lilac. It is a beautiful color, but macho types will not be showing it off to their beer buddies.
on September 9, 2011
I have to say I'm impressed by the quality of this camera for what it costs. Keep in mind, this isn't going to give you HD quality video or even close. But for the sub eighty dollars it costs, you can't beat this. As background, I have extensive experience with IP cameras, from Arecont to Axis to Mobotix to Panasonic, and just about every brand in between. I thought I would take a look at the cheapest cameras out there so I could recommend them to clients looking for a cheap home solution as a nanny/pet cam or just wanting to check on a vacation home. Keep in mind, this camera (and the 100s of other Chinese made cheap IP cameras) should not be used for real surveillance or security purposes - great for casual home users, but I wouldn't rely on them to protect a business.

Image Quality
The video image is pretty decent at 640 x 480 resolution. Daylight use colors are vibrant but a tad off, which is common in low end cameras, but better than those that lack an IR cut filter (this model does not have the ir-cut filter, but the updated Loftek 3200 model does). The IR LEDs are quite powerful and you'll find that you'll want the camera at least 10 feet away from any object as they will be washed out by the somewhat powerful IR lights (i.e., if using as a baby monitor, don't put it too close to the baby, or the baby will be completely washed out in light). Also, you can manually focus this by twisting the outer ring cap of the lens. You can also replace the lens entirely if you want (different zoom or FOV etc.) by unscrewing the lens off.

Networking
I found the set up to be very easy. My machine I used to set this up on is a Windows 7 64 bit desktop. My internal network runs on 192.168.1.xxx, the camera by default runs on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet; this was no problem for the camera search utility that came on the included CD. In fact, the search utility found the camera in about 1 second. Using the utility I set a static IP address for the camera (I could have allowed my router's DHCP to assign the IP, but I manually assign all of my camera IP addresses as it makes port forwarding on the router easier). The camera rebooted and I accessed the camera directly through the Chrome browser. No problems. Video came up right away. Was able to switch between various video resolutions (160x120, 320x240, 640x480) without any problems. I then set up my wireless network; again, no issues. Like any network camera, if you aren't familiar with basic networking concepts and more advanced ones like port forwarding, you may have trouble getting this set up to be accessible from outside your home.

Camera Functions
The pan/tilt on this is quite good. For such a cheap camera I couldn't believe how quiet the motor mechanism is on this. The only other cameras that I've found to be this quiet during pan/tilt (PT) are Sony cameras, but you'll pay upwards of 10 times more. So, if you're looking for a quiet PT this is actually quite good. Pan/Tilt speed range is quite good too (in the settings, you can specify 0 - 10; I made the mistake thinking that the higher the number, the faster it would pan, which was wrong; a setting of 1 is very fast, so I set mine at 3 which is fast, but still controllable). I was however, disappointed that there wasn't any zoom available. I knew there was no optical zoom (and really, how could there be on a sub 80 dollar camera?), but I thought there would at least be digital zoom via the client software. But no, no digital zoom in either the Java client (for non Internet Explorer (IE) browsers) or the ActiveX version for IE browsers. Which brings me to the issue of the ActiveX (IE Browswer) versus other browser functionality. Like most IP cameras (even from the professional lines) you're going to be able to access more camera features through an ActiveX interface than a Java client. So on the LOFTEK CXS 2200 you can only record, take camera snap shots, access audio, and view multiple cameras through the ActiveX client. Also, I had no problems accessing the camera from my Android phone using a product called IP Cam Viewer (available in Amazon's App Store or the Android Market).

Windows/Mac/Linux Compatibility
I have not tested this on a Mac computer so I cannot comment on using this camera (or even setting it up) with a Mac. In the Windows world, this worked fine on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), and Windows XP. I was able to view full motion video and audio on an HTC EVO 4G cell phone, running Android 2.3.2 on the Sprint Network (3G speeds only; haven't had a chance to test 4G yet). My Linux (Ubuntu 11.4) clients had no issues accessing the camera view Chrome (I did not test setting up the camera using a Linux box, though)

Conclusion
For what this camera costs, you can't beat it. The video quality is fine for this camera price range and set up was a breeze using a Windows 7 machine. Playback was fine on a number of Windows 7 and XP machines, as well as an Android 2.3 phone. There is no zoom available, but the lens can be replaced easily. I can't speak to the durability/reliability of this as I've only had it running a couple of days now. But like I said at the beginning of this review, this camera shouldn't be used for real surveillance or security purposes. If you keep these points in mind, this camera should give you more than enough value for its cost.
88 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2011
Let me preface my review by stating if you have never set up a wireless IP camera, get ready for a couple of long nights of Google searches and YouTube how-to videos. However, once everything is up and running the results are amazing. Who would have thought that you could watch what was going on inside your home from any where in the world via a phone?

I have tried 3 different wireless IP security cameras; Foscam FI8918W, LTS LTCIP830MV-W, and now the Loftek CXS 3200. For the money you cannot beat Foscam or Loftek for image quality and ability to find and hold on to a wireless signal. Either one is an outstanding buy.

The Loftek CXS 3200 may in fact be the same camera as the Foscam FI8918W, but in a different body. The software links up and the Loftek camera is visable in the Foscam software. The image quality of the Loftek is great (day and night). With a little help from a Diamond Multimedia Repeater and Range Extender (also sold on Amazon) I get a very usable camera signal through 2 walls.

Remote view via my Android phone is outstanding using either tinyCam Monitor or IP Cam Viewer (buy the "Pro" version to support the devs!). My favorite feature is the email motion alert. Alerts come to my phone within seconds giving me ample time to look at what may have triggered the alarm (via tiny Cam or IP Cam Viewer) and letting me decide whether or not to call the police.

While no security solution is perfect, I feel more secure knowing my little Loftek is on patrol.
on May 25, 2011
It's the most cost effective solution per feature I could find.
Great picture quality in light or pitch dark.
Pan and Tilt controls have a wide range of motion.
The flip/mirror feature allows upside down mounting for high on a wall.
Motion detection notification works like a charm.
Audio monitoring is surprisingly sensitive. I haven't tried to *send* audio yet.
Works with WPA2 WIFI.
The setup software on the CD is the key to successful use of this camera. Allow the software utility to *find* the camera on your LAN, then manually configure the IP address that you want your camera to have. THEN: setup an external (visible to the internet) port (pass-thru) on your home router so the camera is accessible from the internet (via username and password you establish) and then you can view your camera at home from work... or vice-versa.
Setup multiple cameras in multiple locations and the very slick viewing software allows you to see all cameras on one screen... or choose to monitor just one camera in full screen mode.
I'm going to buy several of these to keep an eye on my senior parents while I'm at work.
You probably won't use it for cinematography any time soon, but it's a wonderful WIFI/IP camera for the money.
There may be more "high-end" cameras with more intuitive software interfaces... but for the money, I think this one deserves 5 stars.
on May 24, 2011
Pretty easy to install if you know about port forwarding, then it's a breeze.

In no time I was at work and able to open a browser to my router's public IP along with the :port I chose and I got my video feed. Also works well on mobile phones, but slower if you're on 3G only.

But no motion detection recordings. Although set to alarm with only action being record, it never posts recordings unless I actively make it (using the software).

And in a browser, it starts as 320x viewing...upon making it 640x it crashes the browser...every time.
on June 23, 2011
When first trying to access this camera, I was presented with a 320x240 image and no buttons in the interface. "strange," I thought, "shouldn't I have some kind of control over the camera features that other people talk about?"

So instead of safari, I launched chrome. Same thing. Then firefox. Same thing. I cracked out User Agent Switcher in firefox and set it to be IE in windows 7. Presto! I had an interface, although most of the buttons were broken. Turns out they were doing some silly javascript OS sniffing, and dropping everyone in to the mobile device browser if they couldn't figure out what browser you were using.

Thinking something was amiss, I contacted the seller. They suggested I download internet explorer for the mac. IE for mac? that hasn't been published since 2003 and won't run on an intel machine. Laughable. When I pointed this out to them, they asked me to contact them off amazon, as it stripped attachments, and they would send me a new firmware.

So after a bit of email juggling, I get a new firmware file. Unfortunately, there is no way to upload it from a mac, so I booted up in my very old winXP that I keep handy and tried to install the "firmware" file they gave me. No good. Same problem when I rebooted into macOS. back to windows, and this time, I uploaded it in the " Upgrade Device Embeded Web UI " box. This actually worked when I rebooted back to snow leopard. I now have full control over almost all of the camera features, but I cannot display a timestamp on the image, that appears to be a windows only setting.

So, make sure you can get web UI version 0.0.4.18 from the vendor if you want to see this from a mac OS based browser. Also, be prepared to use a dual-boot system to load the proper web ui firmware.

Decent camera, decent images, I'll let people know if the weatherproofing doesn't hold up.

but good luck if you only have a mac and can't dual-boot into windows.
1212 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse