5.0 out of 5 stars Straight Lines
Published on November 12, 2011 by A. M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Artist Elite 450
Published on January 12, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Artist Elite 450, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Logan Graphic Products 450-I Artist Elite Mat Cutter 40 in. (Kitchen)
The Artist Elite 450 is a well made matt cutter. It is easy to use. The cost of the product is high for what you get. And be aware, the company will NOT sell you replacement parts. You MUST ship the entire unit back to them for repair. This absurd, given the skill level required to perform any part replacement, not to mention the two way shipping cost. The unit is shipped with a instructional DVD which I strongly recommend that one watch before using. A good matt cutter, shame the company is unreasonable to deal with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight Lines, November 12, 2011
This product more than delivers. I watched a couple of the videos on the Logan website and was able to cut perfectly straight lines with perfect corners the first time I tried. It cost just a little more than what I paid for one profession 22 X 28 inch framing. The mats I've cut look just as good. If you plan on doing a lot of matting, I highly recommend the Logan Artist Elite 450.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you look like a matting wizard, January 19, 2013
J. Garner (Columbia, SC United States) - See all my reviews
After I got my DSLR, I suddenly had a lot of pictures I wanted to frame and mat and it was getting really expensive to pay someone to do all that for me. Now, even if I buy a pre-made frame, I can still do my own matting and make a storebought frame look like an expensive custom job.

A lot of my prints come out as large as 24x36, so I wanted to get the biggest mat cutter I could afford. I've never wished I had a larger one than this, though finding a place to use and store it was a little challenging at first. It's fairly heavy, so I've just got it sitting on the edge of a large table. When it's not in use I pop off one of the rulers and it drops down to about 10" in width.

Using it couldn't be easier. One cutter trims your mat to size, and another cutter cuts on an angle for a finished look around the inside. There are rulers galore, and at least on mine, they are very accurate with the 0 mark right where it needs to be. You'll still need a ruler of your own for the odd measurement, but the ones built in will cover you 90% of the time. Between them and the stops built onto the rail, you'll look like a genius after your first mat or two.

If you've got the room, get this cutter. If you don't, get the biggest one you can fit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, February 5, 2012
Polar "Polar" (, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Basically it isn't a bad product, but the company is very deceitful in their advertising. I thought that my choice would be a wise one because of the Logan name. The name Logan means nothing; it is the country that the product is made in like China. As usual beware of the claim by a company that says it is "New and Improved" because it really means that 'We have found a way to cheapen the product without making it total crap.' The bevel cutter works okay, but the straight cutter is not the same one pictured in the advertising or on the box. The "new and improved" version is made of plastic, except for the blade and the handle is nothing more than a short round piece of plastic and not the one on the package that looks substantial and has a finger grip configuration to the design. I would suggest to the prospective buyer to purchase the next higher Mat Cutter, but I am not sure if the quality will be there either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, January 16, 2013
Expected quite a bit after research and it hasn't disappointed yet. Wife started painting and I said I'd do her mat cutting and framing (wondering what I was getting into). The video made the learning experience easy (even for double matting), but the Elite Mat Cutter is the real star - bevel and straight cuts quick and really look professional (straight cuts take a bit of pressure).

Since mat paper is cheaper when you buy it in larger pieces, the 40" size is real useful.

Would recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got what I needed, December 19, 2012
This cutter works fine for hobby work. I think it's a good deal and a good product. Cut 8-ply material nicely. Would recommend to anyone who wants to cut a few mats and simple windows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frame like a pro!, May 9, 2013
Rick (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
Had never done this before but always wanted to try. This cutter makes it easy for anyone to do a top-notch job. The first week I got it, I double-matted a 36" x 24" frame, a 40" x 28" frame, and a couple of 8" x 10" frames. All came out perfect. The only downside is all the requests you'll get from friends and neighbors to frame their pictures. Mat cutter and accessories are durable and well-made, and the accompanying instructions and DVD make learning a snap. You'll never go to a professional frame shop again. Guaranteed.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, May 30, 2013
everything I thought it was going to be; easy to use and perfect mats the first time I used it. DVD instruction is great; a BIG help

Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Cuts on Foam Board, September 3, 2012
Michael E. Raub (Champaign, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I have started mounting photographic prints on self-adhesive foam board, because I like that look much better than prints in frames. My prints are smaller than a standard sized piece of foam board and before I bought this mat cutter I was finding it almost impossible to trim all 4 sides of the foam board and have the cuts be straight and square. It is very easy to do with this mat cutter. The long straight edge has a groove in it and the cutter slides along that groove, insuring the cut follows the straight edge precisely. I'm only using only a small portion of this device's functionality, but it's doing just what I needed done and I could not find anything else cheaper that looked like it would do the job. Amazon's price was much cheaper than in local stores. I don't know about mat board, but if you're planning on cutting foam board order lots of extra cutting blades as they dull fairly quickly cutting through the foam board. A dull blade stands a good chance of ruining the print you're trimming.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very inaccurate - using a steel ruler instead., November 14, 2012
I find my self cutting mats by hand using a steel ruler and an X-Acto knife instead of using this cutter. I also do straight cut mats by hand. All this does fairly well is bevel cuts.

The squaring arm on this cutter is a metal piece that gets pressed down into a slot in the composite wood base. It wobbles. A large piece of mat board can be off by over a half an inch just from the wobbling, and it's really difficult to be pressing it against the squaring arm and the stop piece and holding down the cutter all at the same time. I would glue it down in the correct position, but then I'd never be able to put the cutter away. The first large piece I went to square according to their directions just kept getting smaller and smaller and never did square up. I ended up running out and buying a T-Square and long metal ruler to square the board(s). Then I discovered that the individual mats I was cutting also were not square, so I also do that manually. Then I found out that the straight cutter is terribly inaccurate with start and stop points, so once again I now do that manually.

About the only thing this does well is cut beveled edges, and with that you have to be super careful to get the start and stop points right.

I think that if you're doing a lot of mats you should get a better one, and if you're only doing a few you should stick to the manual way of doing things. If you're going to do a lot once in a while like I am, this might work out, but be prepared for a long learning curve and a lot of wasted material.

Rate and Discover Movies