5.0 out of 5 stars Not for undergrads, advanced textbook
Published on December 28, 2003 by Steve Uhlig

3.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to follow, but ok.
Published 10 months ago by Colin Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for undergrads, advanced textbook, December 28, 2003
This review is from: Logic in Computer Science: Modelling and Reasoning about Systems (Paperback)
The coverage of this book is quite good for what concerns logic in computer science. However, using it as an introduction on logic for computer scientists is probably ambitious because the explanations are rather complicated for undergraduates. A first course on logic and another on AI would not hurt before getting into this one. Too many notions of computer science (syntax and semantics of programming languages, complexity) are needed to fully understand some topics, hence it is better that you already have a broad view of all aspects of computer science before reading this one. As an advanced course textbook to formal techniques in computer sciente on the other hand, this one would do the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a decent book, October 4, 2000
Jose Berlin (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
A lot of good material is covered and in a relatively tight fashion. The presentation of logic is well done, but when getting into the BDDs, the explanations get a little complicated and I personally had to read it over several times before I could make sure I understood what was going on. This book also does not have anything on symmetry, so if that's what you're looking for, there are better books out there. However, this book can hold its own and I recommend it to anyone interested in learning the basics of model checking provided they can take handle some of the heavy duty reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to logic, September 15, 2000
By A Customer
This book is a good introduction to logic. It is highly readable, not dry. It explains logic in the language of humans, not arcane mathematics, yet it somehow is able to remain rigorous. This makes logic make sense, rather than it being an abstract intellectual pursuit detached from life and other topics.
Half the book is on logic, half on model checking. I've only read the logic part so far, so I cannot compare the model checking treatment to that in Clarke et al.'s "Model Checking."
The logic treatment is not specific to computer science (or at least did not seem to be so, for someone not a student of mathematics and logic), so in my opinion the title is a misnomer; perhaps a better title would be "Logic for People, and Model Checking Too."

3.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to follow, but ok., September 6, 2013
If I didn't have to buy this book for one of my subjects, I would never buy it. It is quite hard to follow at times. If I didn't have exposure to logic from before, I'd probably struggle with this book. But if you re-read things over, you do get it in the end. I wish the book explained things in more detail and in simpler ways. It seems the authors did not keep in mind that the readers are not as experienced in logic as they are. I also didn't like the fact that there's quite a bit of errata in the book, which can be quite confusing to a student.

5.0 out of 5 stars a reader, March 16, 2005
In my opinion (I refer to the II edition)the logic treatment is fairly complete for a computer science student (anyway it's missing the treatment of Prolog and the relevant logic).This book is also an excellent introduction to Model Checking of Clarke.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but only along with great instruction, July 20, 2000
By A Customer
Having taken this class at Kansas State University under the author Michael Huth. Reading this book before lecture often left me a bit confused, but after the lectures it seemed to be brought together, but this is my personal experience, your milage may differ. The book has excellent examples and a great introduction to logic and this book, along with great instruction should help you understand better the logical foundations of computer science.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to logic, September 14, 2013
This text offers a great introduction to computational logic. Even if this is not your course's text, I highly recommend considering this book to augment your material. It is extremely approachable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, August 31, 2006
I read this book to learn the basics of model checking, and I found it an excellent introduction. Logic can be a dry and intimidating subject but this text presents the theory in an engaging style. Concepts are always introduced with concrete examples to explain them and to show how they should be used to reason about software. This book is essentially theoretical, there is no presentation of real world uses of the methods.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, February 16, 2009
Chen Ying (Syracuse, USA) - See all my reviews
There's a black mark on the side of my book, and that's the only minor flaw.

Logic in Computer Science: Modelling and Reasoning about Systems
Logic in Computer Science: Modelling and Reasoning about Systems by Michael Huth (Paperback - December 28, 1999)
Used & New from: $3.31