Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Logistic Regression: A Primer (Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

64%
36%

on April 15, 2004
This is an excellent book on the subject. It covers the subject in detail. I work in a quantitative group of a large financial institution. My boss asked me recently to make a presentation on logistic regression, a subject I knew nothing about at the time.
Thanks to this book, I was able to develop the knowledge and expertise in this esoteric statistical method to make a descent presentation to my group. I was also able to develop basic logistic regression models in Excel.
Personally, unlike many of my colleagues (Russians with formidable backgrounds in math) I don't have an advanced knowledge in math or statistic. The book reviewed and taught me what I needed to know to grasp logistic regression. This included an excellent review of logarithms and partial derivatives.
If you are interested to learn this subject, and you need the equivalent of a most user friendly "Logistic Regression for Dummies" this is the book for you.
By the way, logistic regression is not so well known today outside of academic and quantitatively oriented circle. But, after studying it, I feel like it will take over linear regression big time. It is such a superior method to analyze situations associated with human behavior and human choices. Whether you are a psychologist, social scientist, or developer of financial products you will sooner or later have to grasp logistic regression because your counterparts and competitors will. And, in the statistical evaluation of decision-making, linear regression just can't compete with logistic regression. This book will help you catch the logistic regression wave.
This slim book provides a meaningful introduction to the concepts of logistic regression: what it is, where it outshines linear regression, significance of results, and more. But since this is aimed at users of statistical packages (STATA, SPSS, etc.), it doesn't go into the computational details of parameter estimation or much else beyond hand-calculator levels.

The appendix on logarithms should tell you that this doesn't aim at readers comfortable with (or in need of) a peek under the covers at how things actually work. So decide what your goals are. If you want to gain confidence in meaningful use and interpretation of canned packages, this could be very helpful. But, if you're more a tool-maker than tool-user, this could be disappointing.

-- wiredweird
on December 29, 2013
I bought this publication mainly so I could understand how logistic regression coefficients are derived. It does a good job of explaining this topic. It is short and not really a book - just a bunch of papers bound together, so the price is a little steep.
on January 24, 2014
I cam from a social science background, but have delved into statistics and modeling enough to know my way around. This book does a great job of straddling the divide between technical description and narrative explanation. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a deeper look into logistic regression after they have read up on the basics.
on October 15, 2010
Well written and easy to understand. In an hour or 2, you can get a quick grasp on this subject. Considering the cost of textbooks nowadays this is sort of a good place to start if you are in a logistic regression class.
on September 21, 2012
As the author of Advanced Regression in Excel and Practical and Clear Graduate Statistics in Excel, this booklet is well worth the money if you want a complete description of logistic regression. This booklet covers every type and actually is understandable (if you spend the time). Definitely a good book on the topic.
on April 22, 2011
I knew logisitic regression was the method to analyze my data but had no idea how to go about it. I am happy I found this booklet. In a few hours I was able to acquire the essence of logisitc regression and feel reasonable confident that I was running my analysis correctly. Really impressive how clear the explanations are. The examples are very useful.
on July 6, 2009
This book is a good, quick introduction that will allow you to jump right into logistic regression. I found Pampel's writing to be comprehensible and quite suitable for anyone with a good working knowledge of regular linear regression.

All in all, you could do far worse if you need a basic overview into LR. Think of this as a good book to let you know what you need to know. It'd also make a good reference if you need a primer on logs.
on July 30, 2015
This book is very helpful. It is much better than any internet explanation of logistic regressions. It explains matters in a nontechnical way.
on July 22, 2015
This primer is exactly as advertised. Pampel provides cleaer, explicit explanations for the key concepts that underlie logistic regression.