on June 13, 2015
Nice little device that works well with all my devices, EXCEPT.... Sony PS4. They are working on the issue and it's more due to Sony not willing to allow access to it's device than Logitech's unwillingness to incorporate it. Over the past couple of weeks(06/13/2015), Logitech has issued updates that has given some access to the PS4 system for use as an entertainment device but still isn't the All-in-One controller device it strives to be.

I, and my wife, use the Harmony App on out smartphones and use it well to control all the other devices on our entrainment system. It works great on the TV(9years old), DVR(regularly updated by Cable Company),DVD player(5 years Old), and Sound System(2 years old). Their database of devices is pretty large and seems current. Setup was easy. I will seriously consider buying more hubs and controllers for other areas of the house.

The biggest advantage now is not having to keep multiple controllers around to have absolute access to every function of your device. Even with multi-controllers, there's usually some features or functions that just don't work as well with your typical AiO remotes. This unit, along with the App, gives you all the functions of the parent remote in one device.
on August 25, 2014
This set up works great. I have set up multiple harmony remotes for friends and family in the past but this was the first time I set up one from the new line w/ the hub. The whole set up is easy. The hub is able to turn my TV on and off from a cabinet w/ a glass door without using the mini blaster attachment. I was on the fence about the simple remote but it is actually pretty great. Most people don't use more than 6 activities that the simple remote can handle and if you want more activities you can just pick up your smartphone or tablet for those. Unless you have more than 8 devices or just want the touchscreen of the Harmony Remote this set up will meet the needs of most people. Would like to have a backlight but I rarely look down when using the remote and I am not sure how much that would end up hurting battery life. While the simple remote does not have the help function other Harmony remotes do but the apps have it. Also, if something didn't turn on correctly instead of help on the simple remote just hitting the activity button again fixes 99% of any issues that arise. It is VERY rare that I even need to do that because the hub itself sends all the IR signals and is stationary.
on July 17, 2014
This is probably the best universal remote I've used, but Logitech still has a few areas for improvement:

-Logitech needs to provide an open API for this. The device itself has all the brains and components needed to control any device with wifi, bluetooth, or IR. It's extremely disappointing to me that Logitech has not opened up an API for this to developers. This really could become the best universal remote for all the devices in your home.
-Support more than just HUE lights. Again, an open API would allow this device to support any lighting system.
-Backlight for the remote. In my pitch-black theater, I can't see it. Doesn't need to be overdone, just a dim backlight that turns on when I pick it up.
-Market the simple remote as the main product. The app is clunky and cumbersome. What people want is a gorgeous, simple, totally programmable remote with no touchscreen on it.

In my opinion, Logitech should dump all the other Harmony remotes and just iterate on this device. With a few minor improvements, it could revolutionize home theater/entertainment control the way Apple revolutionized mobile devices with the iPhone.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2015
Just what I needed. A simple (a.k.a. spouse and kid friendly) remote that allowed me to put all my equipment in another room. Three buttons were perfect for me:
(a) Watch TV (cablebox),
(b) Watch Smart TV (navigate apps on the Samsung TV, including Pandora, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix)
(c) Watch Apple TV (navigate the Apple TV Apps)

Some misc notes:
- The sequences were easy to set-up and required no additional delays. I tried both programming with PC and iPhone App and found the iPhone app easier to set-up and use for programming.
- As others have stated, the remote is RF only so you will need to run the included IR transmitter from the RF receiver unit (near your equipment) back to your TV (assuming the TV is separate from the rest of the equipment). This was simple to do, as I ran the IR transmitter along with the HDMI cable from my receiver to the TV
- The DRV controls are responsive. No issues sending pause/play commands to my Cablevision DVR, Netfix, Apple TV
- No issues controlling Apple TV or Samsung Smart TV apps
- Replacement remotes are relatively cheap at around $30 if ever needed
on June 9, 2015
First, I returned this for a refund.

It is a refurbish so I do expect a little risk, but the remote would not synch up with the hub. I am not sure if it was the battery or what and since it was a coin cell battery which are not readily available for me, I did not want to go out of my way to spend the time and money on troubleshooting it. If that was the case, if they can't find a dead battery during the refurbish process, then what else was missed. While I was researching the remote and how to synch it to the hub I discovered that the remote does not have an IR transmitter in it. This looked like a solution that would finally fix a long fought battle for my entertainment setup where most of my equipment is located in a closet far away from the TV. I needed the IR on the remote. This is something that I should have researched a little more, I admit. For the price of this remote system, how hard would it have been to add a simple IR transmitter to the controller. Disappointed.

Amazon service was great as always. Thanks.
on February 22, 2015
Relatively small and very comfortable to hold. Short and long presses on the 3 activity buttons permits 6 activities which works well in all three systems I have purchased these for. I do not miss the display screens that took up real estate on my other Harmony remotes at all. Hub creates IR signal so no more worries about pointing the remote in the right direction. Setup can definitely be a bit complex - even for an experienced Harmony user - but tweaks can be made easily with the iOS app until things work the way you want them to. No issues with hubs interfering with one another. A huge improvement on the other three Harmony remotes I have used - I was close to giving up on the system altogether until I stumbled across this model. I anticipate being very happy with these for a very long time. I purchased three of these for the cost of a single unit from other Logitech and other competitors that I would have not been nearly as happy with. No brainer unless you have a huge number of devices in your system.
on April 20, 2015
I really like Logitech products for their sleek designs and simplicity. The Harmony Smart Control is no exception. It was a breeze to set up on my iPhone. I had it up and running in under ten minutes with a TV, Apple TV, and Soundbar. The activities work great. It knows what inputs to select and what device to control. It's made something complicated like turning on multiple devices to different inputs to something you can do with just one push of a button.

The remote app works well enough, but it is slow to load and not always the most convenient way to turn up the volume or change the channel. The included remote, however, feels and works great! I use this more than I thought I would. I thought I would just use the app.

This is a great way to control a handful of devices. It will be easy enough for visitors to use and will save you a lot of space on your coffee table.

P.S. I bought the refurbished remote and it came with all the accessories and has worked great.
on August 24, 2014
The system works very well when the app on your phone or tablet is working. However the app quits fairly often and you have to restart it. I would say on average 4 times within three or four hours of television watch time. I record almost all of what I watch so you can be in the middle of a fast forward and the app will just quit so I have to grab the remote and stop the show from fast forwarding and what ever else it is in the middle of doing. The remote works fine. I am not sure how long the small 2032 battery will last if you just keep using the remote. My last Harmony remote worked on a rechargeable battery and had to be recharged fairly often like every other day. The set up was fairly easy by using my cell phone app. I initially tried to use the computer but I kept getting an error message and I could not get it set up using that means. The Harmony recognized all of my devices and that part works flawlessly. If they get the app problem fixed I would say this would be a five star rating.
on June 3, 2015
Works as advertised. I was annoyed that it only came with 1 IR extender, but the base itself has a strong IR emitter, and in my 2 part divided cabinet and TV above, all recieve IR blasts. Once i add doors to the cabinet i will have to get the 2nd emitter. This is a huge upgrade to my Harmony 720, and the less technical family members love it the most. For the first time my family can be in the room without me having to supervise device switching! Worth its weight in gold for just that accomplishment. The included remote is nicer in person. Solid construction, attractive materials and a perfect curve and palm swell for natural pointing. The remote has a IR emitter as well, but my hub handles the job fine, so ironically pointing is no longer required. The arbitrary limit of 8 devices is annoying, and seems like a cash grab bug intentionally placed by LG, so -1 star for corporate greed. I will never buy another remote without at least all the features that is included with this one.
on June 14, 2015
Bought this thing because I was up to 4 remotes with cable, TV, HDMI switch, and fire tv.

Setup isn't as bad as some reviews make it out to be.
1) Power up
2) Download app
3) Perform setup (connects device to WiFi)
4) Configure software

Took me about an hour from start to finish. Configuration includes adding devices and then choosing what devices are included in your programmed actions.

I added the following devices: DVR, TV, HDMI switch, PC, and Amazon Fire TV. Then you have to create your "actions," which for me included one for Amazon Fire, one for my cable, and then another for my PC.

With a single button press the TV tunes to correct input, HDMI switch selects correct input, and device powers on. There's also 6 buttons that can be programmed for any function that isn't included natively. Ex: the home button and back button for my Amazon remote.

Using it with Amazon Fire I am able to pause/play/rewind/etc using those buttons at the top of the remote, while also controlling the televisions volume and still having access to exactly the same buttons I would on my Amazon remote. Absolutely wonderful having all of the commands available right on the same remote instead of having to switch.

Exactly why I ordered the device.

I've read it works with the WiiU, which I plan on adding and setting up when I have the time.

Overall device does exactly what I wanted it to do. My tech level is pretty high, but I thought the software was pretty straight forward.