Bottom Line: Leave it to a company that makes great keyboards to make a great keyboard.

Published on August 6, 2011 by Bob Tobias

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work well with the Kindle Fire HD
After I received my new Kindle Fire HD, I decided that having a Bluetooth keyboard for it would be a nice addition. I can manage my email accounts on it and it has a word processor on which I can do some writing if I choose. Having a physical keyboard makes writing more than just a couple of sentences much easier.

I did some research and found that this...
Published on October 7, 2012 by W. Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (plus a dirty secret), August 6, 2011
This review is from: Logitech 920-003390 Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0 Plus (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This is a great keyboard even if you *don't* consider that it connects effortlessly over bluetooth and has functions optimized for Android-based systems. It has a feel that is better than my IBM laptop and perhaps even better than the Logitech G11 I'm using to type this review. That it does and has all those other things is a bonus.

This is a sturdy device that weighs more than my tablet and takes up more space as well. However, I've used several of those folding, rolling, collapsing, mini, ultra-portable keyboards and while they are certainly convenient to carry around they're not all that great to use. When it's for a Palm Pilot (for example) just about any keyboard is better than no keyboard. However, for an external keyboard make sense it has to be better, ideally lots better than typing on the screen. This keyboard *is* that.

There are special keys for "jumping to" common functions such as email and a browser. Also, quite a few applications anticipate users might have a keyboard and provide convenient short cuts to make them more efficient.

That the case opens up to form an easel is a nice touch. However, most tablet owners already have a folding cover that does that. I use and really like the Acase Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 P7500 High Quality Premium Slim Leather Case Folio with built-in Stand for Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi Only (Black).

Oh, and the dirty little secret? It turns out the keyboard, but not all the special function keys, work just fine with my iPhone 4. In that case, the case to easel conversion turns out to be very useful.

One thing that completely slipped by when I wrote this review is this keyboard does NOT have a dedicated row of function keys. Someone sent me a comment to point out the oversight. Thinking about it, and from using this for a while, I prefer having it the way it is rather than either having a larger keyboard or smaller keys to accommodate the additional row of keys. That said, if having them is important to you then perhaps you want to select a different keyboard.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Keyboard, August 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Likemany people, I've used Logitech products for many years. Some have been good, others not so good. Their keyboards are usually well made in my opinion. This keyboard is no exception. I'm typing this reiew on it right now, and it's much faster than any touchscreen keyboard. I'm personally not a fan of touchscreen keyboards, so this accessory is a must have for people like me, if you intend to do any significant amount of typing.

The keyboard paired up immediately with my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet. The keys are low profile but have good response. It also has directional keys and special function keys built into the number row at the top. The board is thin and very light, but feels well made and not fragile. Typing on it is a breeze.

The top is rounded and thicker, to provide a slight angle when the board is resting on a table, or your lap. This is also one of the shortcomings. There are no adjustments available for a steeper angle. Logitech should have built in some flip-down legs that fold into the chassis to provide that option. I suppose they didn't in order to maintain a very slim profile. The other thing that you should be aware of is the repeating speed of the delete key. The longer it's held down, the faster it deletes. Hold it down too long and you'll be erasing full lines very quickly. After doing that a few times, you'll quickly get in the habit of tapping the key rather than holding it down to correct typos. I don't know of any way to change the speed setting.

It's very portable and has a nice faux leather covered hard case/sleeve to carry it. It does not lock in, so be aware of this. The case opens up and turns into a stand (again, there is only one angle available.)

Despite any nitpicking about the shortomings, I highly recommend that tablet owners who want a physical keyboard, consider this one. It runs via bluetooth, so you're not limited to using it just with the tablet. It would make a fine addition to an HTPC given it's size an weight. However, it does lack a touchpad. So you're stuck with the cursor keys if you use it with a non-touchscreen deice. For the purpose it was created, this keyboard is a good piece of hardware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my Toshiba Thrive, August 31, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It was very easy to pair the keyboard with my Toshiba Thrive without reading any instructions. I just went to Settings on the tablet, enabled Blutooth, searched for devices, and entered the password on the keyboard that the tablet prompted me to enter.

The quality and the range of the keyboard are very good. The cover doubles as a stand, which is a good option unless you already have a tablet case that can be used as a stand. To conserve the battery life this keyboard has a mechanical power switch on top. There is also 'connect' button on the bottom. Two Duracell AAA batteries come preinstalled. The battery compartment is a little tight, so LSD rechargables (e.g. Eneloop) may or may not fit as they are normally slightly fatter...

If you use your tablet mostly for internet browsing, games, and multimedia, then this keyboard is unnecessary. However, if you type a lot on your tablet, an external keyboard such as this is the way to go. It makes typing faster and helps to reduce fingerprints on the screen dramatically.

Overall, this is a great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Android companion, January 19, 2012
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's no secret that extended typing on a tablet or smartphone is challenging task. That's why innovative tablets like the ASUS Transformer are so popular--people want a real keyboard for long typing sessions. But for tablet owners who don't have an ASUS Transformer, a portable Bluetooth keyboard is a nice alternative. Logitech, with their years of keyboard-building know-how, released the Bluetooth Keyboard for Android Tablets, which does a little transformation of its own.

PROS

- Great build quality
- Easy to use stand
- Quick pairing
- Physical home, back and menu keys
- Media keys for movies and music (via Fn key)
- Stand works in both portrait and landscape

CONS

- Super small arrow keys
- Slight wireless delay
- Backspace key can get overzealous

SETUP
Setting up the keyboard was simple. After inserting the 4 AAA batteries, I turned it on and pressed the connect button to put it in pairing mode. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I used to test with, found the keyboard right away. I was then prompted to type in a 4-digit code on the keyboard.

COMFORT
To make a travel-sized keyboard, there has to be compromises, which means that ergonomics are hardly a consideration. Though the Logitech Tablet keyboard is very compact, I actually found it to be reasonably comfortable to type on. It's more comfortable than typing on a 10-inch netbook keyboard, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I could type on it for a full work day. Still, for short periods, it's far easier and comfortable than using an on-screen keyboard.

LAYOUT
The layout of the keys work pretty well. The most significant changes are the keys next to the spacebar and the arrow keys. To the left of the space bar are the search, Alt, Fn, and Ctrl keys. The Ctrl key is about half the size of the Shift key above it. On standard keyboard, the Ctrl key is approximately 80% of the size of the Shift key. This makes using editing shortcuts, a little bit harder until you get used to it. You almost have to look down to find it rather than feeling for it.

The blue-colored Fn key is used to activate the shortcut keys in the number row. You get shorcuts like email, web browser, calendar, music, media back, media play/pause, media forward, volume up and volume down. They're very convenient to have, especially the media control keys, but the email and calendar keys didn't work for me. It's possible they aren't meant to work with the Gmail app or Google Calendar.

To the right of the spacebar is the physical home, back and menu keys. These are great time-savers so that you don't have to reach for your tablet's screen for those functions. Squeezed into the lower right-hand corner of the keyboard are the miniature arrow keys, which are the smallest keys on the keyboard and also the hardest to use.

STAND/CASE
The case that the keyboard comes with doubles as a stand. It can be used to prop up your tablet in portrait or landscape modes. The interior fabric of the case is a turquoise, felt-like material, that won't scratch your tablet's screen. It's easy to convert from case to stand and is very sturdy and won't disengage during use. It even has a little extension so you can angle your tablet in a more slouched position.

ANNOYANCES
The keyboard, while mostly responsive, did seem to exhibit a slight delay now and then. At times, I would type a few words very quickly and the text wouldn't show up immediately. Then, within a second, all the words would quickly appear.

The biggest problem I had with the keyboard was actually the Backspace key. A few times when I tried to backspace several words at a time by keeping it pressed down, it didn't stop when I let go and it deleted several more words than I intended. I'm not sure if the wireless delay contributed to this poblem, but if you're doing a lot of writing, be careful not to hold down the Backspace key for too long--it can get a bit overzealous.

CONCLUSION
The Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0+ is a fine compact, wireless keyboard for Android tablets. It's a great companion to any Android tablet. The build quality surpasses those of other compact tablet keyboards I've tried and Logitech backs it with a 3-year warranty. The compromises Logitech had to make in order to make the keyboard a portable solution didn't hinder its usefulness by much either. I purposely wrote this entire review with it in Evernote on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and was happy with the experience. If you can't stand typing on a touch screen or want a laptop-style solution for traveling with your Android tablet, the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0+ is a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Nexus 7, July 21, 2012
Got this a day after my Asus Nexus 7 arrived. Coupled with Swiftkey3, web browsing and type is so much easier. Most of the quick keys work too. Logitech also included the two Duracell AAA batteries. The case has a nice leather-like finish as well. Looking forward to see how long the batteries will last. The connection speed is very fast (barely a second) to my Nexus 7. I recommended this to other Nexus 7 users searching for a BT keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Little Keyboard, February 2, 2012
I received this as a gift for my Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch 16 GB Android Tablet AT105-T1016. It has worked really well and connected seamlessly with my device. I won't say that is has turned my tablet into a laptop computer, but it makes writing reviews on Amazon.com much easier. Any Android application that requires a bit of typing will benefit from this interface device. I just pull it out of the magnetically-closed case, turn it on (AA batteries) and start using it. It has a good key response with and Apple computer feel. The keyboard case doubles as a tablet stand but my tablet already has a MoKo(TM) Folding Cover Case With Stand for Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch Android Tablet (Black), so I don't use that feature. I have used the stand when teaching, though, so it is still useful for me. I use this keyboard in conjunction with a Belkin USB Mobile Retractable Mouse (Grey). I was tempted to get the Logitech Tablet Mouse for Android 3.1+ (910-002626) but couldn't get past the $47 cost. This keyboard is great and probably sets the bar for a Thrive compatable keyboard. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little keyboard with a mediocre stand, August 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This keyboard is really nice for for my acer A500, which is an Android 3.1 tablet. This keyboard is made for android tablets, and connects through bluetooth. The connection was really easy, basically I turned on bluetooth on the table, and then hit the keyboard. Right away the keyboard showed up in the list to connect to, I selected it, and basically followed the on screen instructions, and I was up and running very quickly.

The keyboard works on two batteries which are included; so far they have lasted a few hours of use. I am actually currently using the keyboard to write this review on my tablet. The keyboard is a little small, if you happenn to have big hands, but I have had no problems with it so far. The only bad thing that I have noticed is that when just entering a field to type in, it will sometimes just do all Caps like capslock is on, but it isn't, and I have to basically delete something in order to get it to work correctly. I am not sure if this is something wrong with the OS, or if it is something with the keyboard.

As for the case, it is pretty nice, it is held together by magnets, so it is pretty easy to connect together, and comes apart pretty nicely. The keyboard is fairly snug, but there is really nothing that keeps the keyboard locked into the case when toting it around. So as long as it is in a tight case it won't fall out. I haven't had to take this on any trips yet but I am a little worried that if you put the keyboard in a backpack or something it will fall out of the case with some jostling.

The stand on the other hand is just ok, it basically just has two different positions that it can do, and that is fine. I have a different stand (Arkon Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, Xoom, HP, Toshiba, Acer, Nook and Other Tablets (IPM-TAB1)) that I like better; it is much more adjustable and very small, so it is what I normally use when I travel.

Overall this is a nice keyboard. It is small, easy to set up, and comes with a decent case. The case could have been improved by the addition of a strap of something to make sure the keyboard stays in the case while traveling. The stand is mediocre; it only has two settings. The stand is part of the case though, so it is nice that you don't have to carry around a separate extra stand if you don't want to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why are there 2 versions?, November 2, 2011
C. Weaver (Franklin, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have this keyboard, but now I have an iPad. Why did Logitech make two versions?

The keyboard in general is great, good size, light weight and sturdy. The battery lasts a long time, but I wish it had an auto power off instead of tiny slider switch.
Not only should it time out after no use, since they include a case they should throw in a magnetic microswitch to power down when the device is placed in the case.

Speaking of case, it makes a reasonable stand, works portrait or landscape and is fairly sturdy. Apparently some people had trouble figuring out the stand so they added special instructions on a big yellow plastic sheet with some sticky glue that is hard to remove. I guess I was supposed to leave that on there? If it is that hard to figure out, perhaps a redesign was needed? Well it isn't that hard...

Most all the keys function fine on a iOS device such as iPhone or iPad. Pairing is quick and easy, just search for bluetooth devices on the iOS device and then type the keys it gives you on the keyboard. Sure Android devices have multiple buttons and iOS only has one, so search works and home and menu all map to the single iOS button.
Volume, play, FF, etc. all work too.

However the app function keys do not, they map to a Home-Letter combination so you push email and you jump to the search with a letter g or something like that.
Too bad iOS doesn't support this kind of jump.

So if you have both kinds of devices get the Android version of the keyboard. You don't really lose anything from the simpler iOS keyboard and you can use the extra functions on your Android device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, January 3, 2012
I bought this on a whim hoping it would pair with my android phone running gingerbread version 2.3.4 even though the guy at Best Buy said it wouldn't. And guess what, it did. The android specific keys even work. If you have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone I highly recommend the keyboard, especially because it comes with the stand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Also works with iPad 2!, September 7, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was excited to be offered this keyboard because I wanted a keyboard for my iPad 2 for times when I am traveling and want to take it as my only computer. Unfortunately, I inadvertantly selected the Android version. I was anticipating sending it back to Amazon Vine since I don't have an Android tablet, but since it is bluetooth, I decided to try it with my iPad anyway.

Woo hoo! It synced up instantly with my iPad 2 and works excellently!

This keyboard arrives inside it's own carrying case, which converts to a stand for your tablet. It is surprisingly light and compact, measuring 5 1/4" x 11 3/4" x 5/8" when in its case. The case is sturdy plastic with a black, rubberized coating and is lined in an aqua-colored, suede-like material. It easily coverts to an easel-style tablet stand which is adjustable for different viewing angles.

The keyboard is a sleek, matte-black plastic with white accents around the side. It's elegant looking. The keys are island style, which I love. No way for crumbs and other stuff to get caught under the keys. Despite its compact size, the keyboard is comfortable even for my large hands.

The function keys are set up for an Android tablet so I discovered they work a little differently that they were intended to on my iPad - but they do work. I'm thinking that for households where there is an Android tablet AND and iPad - this would be a fabulous accessory. (Its also very nice for people like me who should wear their glasses before ordering things.)

To sync it with your iPad, simply turn on the keyboard via the tiny on/off switch in the upper right corner, push the connect button located on the underside of the upper right, go to Settings in your iPad 2, turn bluetooth on and it will automatically find the keyboard and sync it. That's it!

This keyboard has made sending emails or keying in a lot of text so much more efficient. The virtual keyboard on tablets work well and are fine for surfing and most other stuff you use your tablet for, but they are tedious and cumbersome for emailing, blogging, journaling, etc. Having a keyboard lets me skip carrying a bulky laptop when I travel or go places where I have time to kill.

I heartily recommend this Logitech keyboard as a perfect complement to your tablet