5.0 out of 5 stars The evolution of Rumblepad 2
This controller looks and feels EXACTLY like the Rumblepad 2, with two key differences:

- The middle finger buttons have now been replaced with analog triggers.

Published on November 2, 2010 by Erich Maria Remarque

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Controller, Bad Software
I was pleasantly surprised with how well this controller worked on my Windows 7 system. The only problem I've had so far is that it is not compatible with my Ghost Recon Online game, and the Logitech Profiler software that is included on the CD fails to recognize the controller in DirectInput mode (you're forced to use that mode in the software). The gaming experience...
Published on September 24, 2012 by Thomas Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars The evolution of Rumblepad 2, November 2, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

- The middle finger buttons have now been replaced with analog triggers.

- You now have have the option to use this as an X-Input device (in addition to DirectInput). In fact when the device is in X-Input mode, it is listed as an Xbox 360 controller. When in DirectInput mode, the device is listed as Rumblepad 2. Yep "Rumblepad 2", even though this controlled is called F510 (though the name F510 does pop up in X-input mode).

These Logitech controllers are IMO some of the best PC gamepads out there. Better than the Xbox 360 controller. The bundled software (get the latest version from the Logitech website, and don't bother with the CD) is chock full of features. You can even assign mouse functionality to the analog sticks. This makes controlling certain older games that work best with KB+Mouse combo (i.e. Gothic 1) much easier.

The software profiler alone places this device at the top. For example, if you get the Xbox 360 controller you will not get a official profiler software, making it useless for older games. The F510 is also shaped like a standard PS controller (which I personally like more than the Xbox 360 pad shape).

I personally consider this is the best wired gamepad on PCs right now. Honestly, if you have Rumblepad 2, there is no need to buy this one, unless you absolutely need analog trigers. I have been using the Rumblepad 2 for over three years, and the F510 is simply a refreshed Rumblepad 2. The F710, which is wireless, might be better for some people, but I prefer wired versions, as changing the batteries every two weeks can become a hassle. So, for me F510 is the better option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's get ready to rumble!, November 3, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The 510 is a wired controller and connects to your PC's USB port. Each grip has a textured rubber face so it's comfortable to handle and doesn't slip. It is essentially a Playstation layout, and close enough to the Xbox controller to make Xbox fans comfortable.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a controller for PCs. It will not, to my knowledge, function on Xbox, Playstation or any other console.

What's in the box?
* The Logitech 510 controller
* Device software on mini-CD
* User guide

Like with most products, I recommend visiting the company's website to ensure you install the latest version of software. You can certainly install the software from the included CD, but it is best to use the latest revision from the website.

I think the key selling point of this product is flexibility: it can be switched from DirectInput mode (older games)to XInput mode (newer games) and back again. Plus it includes the Profiler software. This Windows software lets you customize the controls for use with games that do not have native gamepad support. Basically, you can program the 510 to emulate keyboard and mouse tasks.

I cannot think of a single downside to this controller. It is simple to connect, comfortable, easy to use, and its programmable, if you simply have to have this or that key set up some particular way you like.
The vibrations produced by the controller are typical of a "rumble pad". They work fine and they aren't weak.

Price-wise, you can find less expensive product, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
By the way, Logitech warranties the 510 for 2 years. Although gaming controllers tend to hold up, it's still nice to have a company that gives you more than 90 days.

If you need a new controller to play games on a PC - this one can't be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in Linux, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 (Personal Computers)
Works perfectly in Linux. Just a couple of things to be aware of:

"X" mode (xinput) works best. Check the switch on the bottom of the F510 and make sure it is set to "X". "D" mode didn't work at all for me.

The "Mode" button selects between Flight Mode (LED off) and Sports Mode (LED on). In Flight Mode, the left joystick is the main directional controller. In Sports Mode, the D-Pad is the main directional controller. You need to match the mode to the game you are playing. For instance, Super Tux Kart only works in Sports Mode.

The "jstest" utility can be used to help test the joystick. Use it like this:

jstest /dev/input/js0

Now press the buttons and move the joysticks and you'll see the various axes and buttons change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further - solid piece of kit, February 16, 2011
Sibelius (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Logitech's F510 Rumble Gamepad is a solid choice of a gaming accessory that is sure to provide the needs of most PC gamers in need of a gamepad. As far as gamepads go, my chief requisite is the quality of the 'feel' when pressing buttons, wiggling the sticks and navigating with the dpads - the F510 performs remarkably well with a solid feel and precision that satisfies regardless of whether i'm engaged in fast and furious twitch action or leisurely scrolling through game menu windows. The F510 also receives high marks for extremely flexible customization options and a really beefy rumble motor that provides a great range of jolting feedback and subtle force. The rubber grips also sit very comfortably in the hand and the 6-8 foot cord is long enough for most desktop positioning. At this price you'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ensure you Read This.., December 22, 2010
This review is from: Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 (Personal Computers)
After just receiving my F510 in the mail I attempted to install the software and found that because I have Windows XP, you need to turn the pad over and switch the X to the D. XP users, always place it on Direct as the X is meant for Win 7 OS. If you have XP and don't do this the pad will not be recognized by the OS and you will sit there for a long time like I had figuring nothing out and eventually calling the Customer Service Department.

The Customer Service Department was very nice and very helpful. The game pad works like a charm and I am very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock-solid middleground all-rounder, February 23, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 (Personal Computers)
I am no gamer. So, imagine my surprise when a friend brought over his PS3, got me a little tipsy, and made me play Portal! I was captivated. I've always had a party-limited soft-spot in my heart for two-player fighting games, but quickly loose interest. They're not something I'd ever play alone against the AI, either! Portal, though, reminded me a little of 'The 7th Guest', and with a long-awaited sequal coming out soon, I ordered a copy of the venerable 'Orange Box' from Valve.

The problem was, after getting used to the PS3 controller, I found myself unwilling to use the bloody keyboard and mouse for everything, especially at speed. I began researching USB controllers, but had a hard time finding a recommendation for one that could be used both in Windows 7 and XP. Further, I wanted a controler that would at least be recognized by Ubuntu, as my home ecosystem is very 'Multi-Coded'. On the recommendation of a friend who is a staunch supporter of Logitech, I checked out the current line-up of X-input or Direct-X switchable controllers.

Now, they're not cheap. However, as my friend pointed out, they're reliable, good quality, and built to last. As my Windows 7 machine is to be my primary box for gaming, I tried it first there. I was hoping that drivers wouldn't be necessary, and the controller did work the first time... Then the thing didn't register as connected to USB at all for three startups running. I installed the most recent software direct from logitech's website, and all was well. Nothing needed to be mapped. Windows XP was even easier, switched the output using the switch on the back of the controller to Direct-X, and all was well. Even got it to work through the USB server on my virtual machine in Ubuntu! The controller is comfortable, responsive, and has a very quality feel for a hunk of plastic! Further, one could use those darned rumble packs for "personal massage" purposes... What a kick!

I don't like the mapping function provided in the logitech software, but it's an admitted hack in the first place. You're just doing keyboard mapping through software! Overall, it's a small price to pay to force an emulator to do one's will for truly ancient games, and a welcome piece of forceware at end of day. The attraction of using this as an X-Box 360 controller doesn't even register for me. As far as I'm concerned, those things should all be burned, anyway (though I understand most folks would disagree with me).

Overall, great job! Quality controller, and people in other reviews are right. The analog thumbsticks loosen up with intense playing. Depending on the game, you can even turn sensitivity up and down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good program, eh software, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 (Personal Computers)
I like the feel of this controller and the lay of the buttons. It is pretty interesting that Logitech could get away with ripping off Microsoft's candy buttons and Sony's controller layout. My problem is that the profiler is being a pain in the butt to setup. I have gotten error messages whenever the profiler comes up to set up the programming for a game. I haven't found this to be too much of a hindrance as the controller has worked well in all the games that I've setup in separate game settings. My OS is Win 7 x64 and my updates are saying this is a Microsoft controller product.

Pros:
+Feel
+Look
+Weight
+Wire length

Cons:
-Nothing revolutionary
-Profiler flaws
-Why dont the pretty candy buttons light up... backlit controller please! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars best of both worlds, January 15, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 (Personal Computers)
My search for a XInput(360) compatible device with a decent d-pad is finally over.

My other options were:
1) The offical 360 pad: The d-pad is worthless.
2) The Hori 360 pad: Similar price but reviews indicate quality issues. It also provides no extra PC features beyond XInput.
3) Cheap phillips pad. Only directInput and terrible dpad.

My thoughts after a couple weeks with the F510...

Pros:
- Responsive d-pad. Spelunky, Super crate box, ZSnes all work with minimal config. Detects diagonals correctly. The 'floating' d-pad feels a bit strange at first but I am used to it now.
- Didn't need to install anything. XInput games don't even need to be configured. If I ever try something that uses DirectInput the software may be required.
- Sticks, face buttons and bumpers have a good feel.
- Price. Especially with 1/2 off sale a few weeks back.
- Solid build. Feels like Logitech.

Cons:
- Vibration button should be swapped with the start button or moved to the back. I kept hitting it instead of start the first few times. Not a big deal.
- Trigger buttons are awkward and should be moved inward a bit. My index fingers should rest naturally on the triggers rather than the bumpers. Not a deal breaker as I was able to adapt to it for Dirt 2 (throttle). I imagine playing an FPS would be somewhat annoying, but who plays FPS games with a gamepad on PC?
- Cord is a bit short. Easily solved via cheap usb extender.

Other thoughts:
- Does not actually work on a 360. Not a con but I was curious.
- What is the "logitech"(dashboard) button for?

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and pricey joypad, January 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had this Joypad for the last several months and my girlfriend uses it more often than me. She uses this for a role-playing game on the PC. I don't like the game itself but I've tried it to test out this Joypad.

Ergonomically, I would say the pad fits pretty well in my hands. The pad is curved in such a way that my middle fingers can rest comfortably on the back portion while my ring and pinky rests on a bulbous portion below.

The front bottom-sides of the pad feature some coarse rubber which allows parts of your palm(below your thumb) to feel firmly planted during intense gameplay. The action buttons feel responsive and thankfully there are no painted icons on top of the buttons(which can fade over time).

The analog sticks feel very similar to the Playstation 2 pad. The d-pad has a bit of a loose and flimsy feel to it. It's also a bit small. It's still responsive and works well though, just not as comfortable.

The vibration function is pretty strong and there's a button you can press to trigger the funtion. The top four shoulder buttons are layed-out similar to a Playstation pad. Additionally there's a 'back' and 'mode' button. All these buttons are fully programmable.

The Joypad also comes with a mini-disc software which can be used to program the Joypad. It does take a bit of time though to fully program everything. On the back of the pad, you can switch between Xinput or Directinput(the former supporting newer game features).

Overall this is a high quality analog pad(feels heavy and substantial) that has many customizable features and is comfortable to use. The only drawback is that it is a bit pricey. Is it worth it? Only if you crave the fancy features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Gamepad, January 13, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 (Personal Computers)
This is a high quality game pad that just works. It feels good in the hand (just enough weight) and the buttons are all very responsive. I personally dislike wireless gamepads and I was glad to see that Logitech was still making ones with cords. The length of the cord is very long enough, though it could stand to be a bit longer. I highly recommend this gamepad and will buy another when this one wears out.

Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510