5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD webcam, but be wary of Skype compatibility
My wife's family lives in Europe so we spend lots of time on Skype - especially since we have a 4 month old baby. Our Acer laptop has an OK webcam built in, but I wanted my mother-in-law to feel "almost there" when she was seeing her granddaughter. So I researched HD webcams looking for the sweet spot between price, portability and quality. The C510 hits the mark. It is...
Published on July 8, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good HD camera, but effects do not work at all!
I am using the second C510 camera that I received from Logitech. As I said the effects, and mask maker do not work at all. From what I read of others with the same problem, (and I have determinated also) certain .dll's do not load. I found that the .dll's in question are the same on all persons complaining of this problem. My computer meets all the prerequisites laid out...
Published on September 11, 2010

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 429 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice webcam!, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
Even though I'm a tech-savvy guy, the Logitech C510 webcam is my first webcam. Installation went smoothly, with the only exception being that the product's mounting system couldn't accomodate the thickness of my Dell flatscreen display (that is to say, it couldn't clamp itself onto my display because the clamp didn't open wide enough). Not a big deal; I simply used Velcro to secure the webcam onto my display.

After installing the webcam's drivers/software, I proceeded to install Skype (I'm not planning to use Logitech's provided video calling software, since my friends/family are already using Skype). I then initiated my first video call to my sister-in-law. She's using a very low-budget (free) webcam, so her image quality was pretty poor. But she was **very** impressed with the image quality coming from my Logitech C510. Since Skype shows both the incoming and your outgoing video, I could see the remarkable difference too. Much better lighting and clarity, and some fun features too.

Excellent product! I only downgraded my "Ease of installation" rating to 4 stars because of having to use Velcro during installation.

1.0 out of 5 stars C510 software is a problem, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
The Logitech Webcam C510 itself is a big improvement over the webcam built into the lid of my notebook PC, but the software is another matter. I had the VOIP telephone provider VONAGE and the Logitech software really messed up my computer. I contacted VONAGE, who told me the webcam isn't compatible with their service.

I didn't want video chat, just video capture, but that didn't work either.

I'd give the camera alone 4 Stars for its price/performance ratio, but Logitech needs to be more specific about software requirements and identify possible conflicts. Probably any service using a VOIP protocol like VONAGE is going to have problems with the Logitech software.

The C510 improves on the C310 because the camera is adjustable, and when not in use it folds up--and its price is little more than the C310. Logitech also includes a soft case. But without stable software, the camera is unusable. I won't bother returning the C510. And to make my dissatisfaction complete, the Marketplace Vendor I purchased the C510 from wasn't a participating retailer in the Logitech rebate program, so I overpaid for this product--a product that didn't work.

I wound up removing VONAGE. Before you buy the Webcam C510, be certain that you don't have a potential conflict with another VOIP service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to Install | Simple To Use | Great Addition, June 30, 2010
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was skeptic about the size of the camera when I saw the package and the quality.

Once installed and getting the initial picture, I knew I would eat my skepticism. The pictures are clear and the swivel feature is just one of the extra benefits.

The easy upload to youtube and facebook function makes this even more appealing.

Logitech has created a great product for a very reasonable cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Tech From A Great Company, July 20, 2010
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
We are pleased with the ease and HD features of this Web Cam. It has the potential to enter web site passwords, and the facial recognition feature adds another Security step when there is unguarded access to your computer when you step away from your desk.

The sharpness and clarity of the HD picture is much more than we expected. We have been Logitech fans for years and while this camera has plastic lens, it does a more than average job for our home computer needs. Should you wish a step up, then glass lens are available--for a modest upcharge.

Good to see the evolving of the Web Cam and Logitech makes a very good quality unit at a modest price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Webcam for the Price!, November 15, 2010
Jen B "JB" (Tampa Bay, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
I bought this webcam for my Mother-in-Law. I walked her thru the install from 150 miles away and in a matter of about 12 short minutes, we were chatting via our online provider. I recommend that if this product is for a novice computer user, that you install your Video Chat Provider service first (skype, oovoo, aim, etc.) This way, once you have installed this webcam, one can use it immediately. It's all easy when you read the instructions (just a clue for the men)! LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars Great model. Better image than new crop of cams, September 10, 2012
D. Fichtner (American in Seoul, SK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
I own this c510 and also the new c920. I was surprised to find that the c510 actually has a clearer image (on Skype) than the c920 on Skype, even though the c920 claims 1080p in Skype HD (gimmick). Sure, the newer cams record better video for Youtube uploads, but when it comes to Skype -- and I'm not sure I understand why -- the c510 image is sharper than the c920. I think the internal compression of the newer models actually degrades the image sent to Skype, but that's just a guess. The newer cams such as c525 and c920 will work better to put you in Skype HD mode if you have a slower computer because they have internal processing, though. That is a downfall of the c510. It uses your CPU more and really needs a faster dual or a quad core cpu to go HD mode. If you have an older, slower computer, don't get the c510. But when it does have a faster computer, it seems to provide a sharper image.

The c920, which is the flagship model, is a nice cam, but the whole "1080p" claim on Skype is a gimmick. It only gives you a wider picture, but not a sharper one. I actually found myself zooming-in because the wide picture sets your face back too far with the c920. That just degrades the image anyway, because the zoom is a software zoom. Save yourself some money and don't get that camera. I have mine up for sale on craigslist.

I will also note that after owning over 12 webcams, I am a fan of "fixed-focus" cameras like the c510. They do a better job of giving you a clear image all the way across the screen. Also, the better fixed-focus cams do better in low light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reach Across the Country from Across the Room, July 6, 2012
I love this thing. I'm using it with Windows 7. After installing the software that comes with it, I made sure to check for software updates just in case there were any issues/bugs in the software that may have been fixed by the manufacturer (this is just good practice with any product one might purchase that requires software installation). It works great. I've been using a cheap ($20) Microsoft webcam (video only) with a cheap ($9) microphone and/or the built-in mic on my laptop computers. I really wanted something that could pick up my voice from across the room so that I could sit on my couch while chatting with friends/family who live on the other side of the US. I have a PC built just for viewing TV shows/movies on our flat screen TV - so the camera and mic needed to be able to pick up my voice from the couch across the room. I also wanted to be able to use Google search/google chrome to speak my searches rather than having to type them out using a mini wireless keyboard. The final requirement was that the camera/mic be affordable. I was willing to spend more than $20, but didn't want to go over $70 for the camera. I ended up finding a GREAT price on the c510 and gave it a shot. It accomplished everything I needed AND MORE.

The 720p HD is clear, the auto-adjustment works great for lighting, focus and color. The mic clearly picks up my voice from across the room. Google search can actually understand what I'm saying (from across the room or up close) using the mic on the c510 better than it works using google search on my phone.

The software allows almost complete control over lighting, focus, color, brightness, contrast, gamma, etc....it also has a "follow-my-face" feature and the ability to control zoom & pan without having to physically move the camera at all.

Added bonuses include page after page of video effects, funny masks, facial recognition "puppet" cartoon type masks...and also allows the user to visit the website to download more masks/effects. My family (i.e. nieces and nephews) can't get enough of these. You can even make your own funny masks using the software.

I ended up going back to the store and buying 2 more of them (it was a really good sale at the time).

I use one of the cameras mounted in my upstairs front window as a 24-hour surveillance camera. Not only am I able to clearly see what's happening day and night, but there is a motion detection feature built-in to the software. It also works with other motion detection software. My only wish is that I could save setting adjustments and maybe even schedule them to automatically switch (I have to manually adjust the lighting/exposure settings at night, but it does a great job of picking up a clear night-shot). I'm able to see a clear picture of what's happening in my entire front yard - I could probably even read license plates of cars passing if I angled the camera down the street instead of across it. The picture is so clear that I have no issue viewing while connecting to my PC remotely using a scaled-down view on my tablet. The controls are sensitive enough to allow me to make adjustments to the picture (brightness, contrast, etc) over remote access connection as well.

I can't say enough good things about this camera. Very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech C510 Web Cam, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
This cam was more then I expected for the price. Purchased two of them, one for ourself, and one for a gift. Very easy to install, and very easy to use. Perfect cam for Skype use. Clear images and no jerky motions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech HD Webcam C510, November 10, 2010
H. Jones (Westervill, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
Webcam is extremely easy to install and works extremely well with skype. The small compact size sits very well on PC monitor. Would highly recommend this product for novus webcam users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - unfortunately I will never see the picture quality!, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Logitech 720p Webcam C510 (Personal Computers)
Web Cams are weird purchases! You never get to enjoy the increased quality of picture during Skype conversations!! It is the person on the other end that gets to appreciate your high resolution blemishes and bags under your eyes while you squint at your monitor to see their low resolution image taken from their laptop!! I use this this talk with clients and family all over the world and so far everyone is happy with the picture sound quality. The image tracking feature has been called a bit anoying by a few. It helps to have a well lit office when using this web cam. I have yet to find the software application that allows me to take still shots, so having buttons on the camera would be pretty handy. Switching to the talking alien head during boring conferences certainly gets the conversation flowing again.

My web research seemed to highlight difficulties between Logitech and Skype. It seems to work fine for me, so not so sure I would get my undies in a bundle over that one. That being said I am pretty easy to please and it appears the web cam is a good value.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 429 | Next ›