1,097 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Sound & Built "Kid" Tough
I can not really add much to my review which has not already been said. These are great sounding speakers for the price.
If you want speakers with accurate music reproduction, thumping bass and higher volumes, best to spend more money and upgrade to Logitech's Z-4 model. But for casual listening and computer gaming, the X-140 speakers are more than adequate...
Published on January 11, 2008 by "The Woj"

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks can be deceiving!
Please be aware...these speakers have an integrated power supply that is very susceptible to outside interference. I heard a constant buzz/hum from the left speaker (where the power supply is located) whenever the speakers were turned on.

Published on November 23, 2009 by Max Swineberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Sound & Built "Kid" Tough, January 11, 2008
"The Woj" (Downers Grove, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
My biggest positive is the durability & construction; very hard plastic backs with heavy duty metal front grills (which are virtually impenetrable to pencils, pens, and other kid wielded objects). So far, after 4 months of use, I have deemed them "kid proof". Those of you who have small children know what I mean. I highly recommend the X-140's for those on a budget or those who just can't see the logic in dropping big dollars when kids are around. ****March 2013 update. Still in great condition and rockin' strong!****

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, May 10, 2007
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
For the price, the sound is quite good. I also like that they use a standard AC plug instead of an AC adapter and you can actually turn them completely off when away from the computer without having to uplug the adapter. Overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Most - Especially For The Price, November 8, 2007
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
For the price: These are tough, sturdy attractive looking speakers. In fact, better than most. The treble is excellent and the mid-range is near perfect. The bass is a high-bass, so don't expect your desk to rumble, but the overall quality of sound is very good. There is distortion after a ¾ turn of the dial. The orange "on" light is a bit bright (I'd prefer blue or green, but that is a minor concern). The volume control does make a pronounced difference in loudness (most speakers systems don't), but the tone control varies only in the absence of bass. It is easy to set up and there is a convenient headphone jack and a single male plug for external music sources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Sound, February 14, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
These speakers rock! The sound is very crisp and clean. I heard background singers on my cd's I have never heard before with either my Bose speakers or Sennheiser headset. All of the plugs and connecting cords are permanently attached to the back of the speakers and are much thicker than most. In addition, the power plug is a normal 3 prong instead of a fat dc converter. If you are looking for booming bass that fills a room these are not for you, but if you are looking for a quality pair of desktop speakers with clear detailed sound that also work great with a walkman or mp3 I highly recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected when compared to Bose, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
I bought these speakers to compare against a pair of Bose Companion 2 (Series I) speakers that I was unsure about their sound. I really wanted to like the Bose - and for the most part I did when listening to a pair in a local Sams Club. But in the end, the X-140s won out for me. Here's why:

What I liked about the Bose: I was very impressed with both the amount of Bass produced, and the clarity of the sound coming from the Companion 2 speakers. Individual instruments were clear and crisp, and not distorted or muffled. And there was plenty of bass for most casual music listening - probably the best I've heard from a 2.0 system.

What I didn't like about the Bose: Unfortunately, from a sound quality perspective, there was a dramatic channel separation between left and right that never let a vocal track converge in the center of the listening stage. In other words, a main vocal track that normally (in my other higher end 2.1 systems) appears to come from directly front and center in the audio stage was instead very evident coming from both right and left speakers. It gave an odd surround sound feel that didn't seem natural to me. Also, the main speaker (with the volume control) apparently had less than adequate shielding as it was picking up a static/crackling when placed in close proximity to our Mac Mini that it was connected to. Move it further away and it was okay, move it closer and it started to crackle.

I have several other Logitech speakers (Z3 and X230) that I'm very happy with - I like the sound that Logitech's produce, so I tried a set of the X-140's with this same Mac Mini setup as I used the Bose Companion 2 on.

What I liked about the Logitech X-140: While I believe the sound was a bit more crisp in the Bose (and the Bass was more full), the voice is much better placed in the X-140s, and the Bass is probably the next best in a 2.0 system I've heard next to the Bose. The X-140s also have very clear sound - and, unlike the Bose, there is no static or crackling from the X-140 even when placed directly on top of the Mac Mini. So chalk that up to proper shielding.

What I don't like about the X-140: Basically... nothing. Sure, I'd like a little more bass, a little more clarity on the high end, but... what can I expect at this price point. The sound is fairly amazing for $27 speakers. One thing that I actually don't like is that the 'Tone" knob is backwards from what you would normally expect. generally clockwise gives more Treble and CCW gives more Bass. Just the opposite here. OK, that's really pushing for something to find fault with.

All in all, while the Bose Companion 2 speakers have some very strong features, in the end I was overall disappointed and I'm keeping the X-140s as a very capable 2.0 setup - and for less than 1/2 the price of the Bose, they are a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech scores again, January 12, 2008
Blu-ray Bill (Seattle, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
A fervent music fan (opera, orchestral, Broadway, big band, jazz), I never thought I'd see the day when I'd listen to most of my music on the computer, but that day recently arrived.

So, I decided it was time to think beyond the lackluster speakers embedded in my monitor, and I shopped around. Having previously bought the Logitech iPod charger/player, which I found surprisingly good, I was predisposed to the brand. Still, I was unsure about getting these speakers after reading some of the less-positive reviews on this page.

I'm glad to say my fears proved unfounded. You just can't beat the sound of these for the price. They are perhaps just a tiny bit short on both the high and low ends of the sound spectrum, but other than that nit, they provide very satisfying sound. I haven't regretted my purchase for one minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars logitech x-140 speakers, January 10, 2007
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
Got these for my new flat panel tv I use in the kitchen....excellent quality and sound....excellent deal...

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks can be deceiving!, November 23, 2009
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)

However, by looking at some of these other reviews, it does seem that others had a positive experience with the X-140s. So who knows...maybe I just got a lemon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good desktop speaker at its price range, December 11, 2007
Y. Ho "Yifong" (Budd Lake, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
I have been looking around for some desktop speakers and not thinking about spending too much money on it. I looked at many models on-line and also in the stores and finally I decided to buy this set. I like the design that it comes without a bulky power converter. At the price of $29 when I purchased it, it produces sound loud enough for my PC and it looks solid without the usual cheap plastic feel. I didn't give it a five star because its sound tends to be blur at extremely higher volume and at very deep base setting. Since I use real stereo equipment for listening to music, I wouldn't turn on the volume very high on this speakers anyway. But...let me tell you, I use this set of speakers to play a old Warcraft III game and it really sounds very well, loud, deep and stereo. For a set of desptop speakers, this will be my best choice for under $30.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speakers, February 22, 2007
This review is from: Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers (Personal Computers)
These are great speakers. Great sound, a lot of good bass. And best of all, there's virtually no interference from cellphones with these speakers (unlike my last pair of cyber accoustics). You can't go wrong with these. I even love the useful audio in and headphone jacks.

Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers