5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Money

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, could be worse
Published on October 7, 2008 by Peter Norby

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Money, October 13, 2007
norbo (Westport, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech V470 Bluetooth Cordless Laser Mouse for Notebooks - White (Personal Computers)
I wanted a mouse for my Macbook that did not require me to plug in a dongle. Therefore, a bluetooth mouse was my obvious choice. I heard about this mouse some months before it was available for purchase. It has bluetooth and laser. I am glad I waited for this mouse - it is great. It does what a mouse should without having to fuss with it or deal with all kinds of uneeded "features". Logitech once again came up with a winner.

It was recognized easily by my Macbook and worked perfectly without having to tweak anything. Contrary to what some reviewers say about laser mice, this mouse is not too sensitive. Scrolling is smooth and accurate. There is a slight delay when the computer starts for bluetooth to recognize the mouse, but this is negligible.

There is an on-off switch to conserve the battery -- very nice! Also, it is white to match my Macbook. I have had this mouse about a week and have not discovered any negatives. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Works, November 9, 2007
(Update after 3 months of use: The mouse has performed amazingly. It is a joy to use and travels well with my MacBook. I bought this in November and have used it every day. Now (February), I finally get the low battery indicator. The batteries lasted a very long time (and I do not shut the mouse down often. If you have a MacBook, this mouse is a great addition to it. You won't be sorry.)

* * *
I just got my white MacBook today and connected the Logitech V470 to it. After a few minutes of mousing around, the computer for some reason lost the connection. I suspect it was my fault as I was messing with the preferences trying to learn Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard's features. I re-attached it and since then it has not given me any problems. The computer sleeps and wakes up and the mouse just works almost instantly. It is smooth and works well. The mouse design fits the white MacBook perfectly. I have large hands and even though this mouse is smaller than a standard mouse, the fit is comfortable. It is amazing not to have cords or dongles cluttering your desktop. I highly recommend it. Given the horrible reviews of the Logitech software, I never installed the CD that came with it. It works very well without it. Option-scroll wheel zooms on the whole screen, the tilt wheel scrolls horizontally -- It simply works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, awesome mouse, February 27, 2008
lcm (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 2:25 Mins

I highly recommend this mouse. Give me 2 minutes to tell you why.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, could be worse, October 7, 2008
This is the second bluetooth mouse that I've tried (the other being the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 Mac/Win) as a full-time mouse companion for my Apple BT keyboard. To its credit, the mouse maintains a connection better than the MSFT mouse (i.e. it reconnects at all), though as mentioned by other reviewers, it's definitely more sluggish to respond from sleep (and quicker to go to sleep) than the Apple counterparts. That said, the ergonomics are only slightly better than Apple's mice and my hands get cramped if I use it for more than a couple of hours in a row (i.e. heavy photo editing or similar).

Pros: bluetooth, portable, works, even comes with a bag.

Cons: Logitech software kills Growl - a known issue on their end which they have no intention of fixing. So you have to choose between growl working, or being able to customize the buttons/wheel (though OSX seems to do a decent enough of a job of this on its own - there are no fancy side buttons). As another reviewer mentioned, the black stuff on the side is coming off, which just feels unsettling, even if it is just cosmetic.

So overall? I'm still using it, though I can't say that I'm necessarily "happy" with it. It beats the competition, though that's an extremely low bar with few contenders. Maybe in a few years...

-/\/

5.0 out of 5 stars Cordless mouse that works, February 26, 2008
Eric T "ejt" (Marion, IA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Pros:
Function
Compact
Bluetooth
Battery Life

Cons:
My son runs off with it sometimes since there is no cord attaching it to the computer
Sometimes takes a second to wake up when it has gone to sleep

Who should buy this mouse? Anyone looking for an accurate wireless mouse for a Desktop or Laptop that wants to keep a USB port free.

My largest complaint with wireless mice is they use proprietary wireless formats that requires you to tie up a USB port with the receiver. This one does not. It uses Bluetooth that comes built into most newer computers, and it works great. To get it working on my iMac, all I had to do was put in the batteries and turn it on. The computer discovered it right away.

I have been using it for a month straight and I am still on the first set of batteries. This is far better than the Bluetooth Apple mouse I had. The movement of the cursor is precise, and everything works great. The feel of the buttons and scroll wheels is great (better than the mighty mouse in my opinion).

This mouse is the best investment in a mouse that I have made in years, and it frees up a USB port, and those with iMacs know we don't have enough powered ports. It was worth every penny.

I use this mouse without installing any of the software that came with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars My First Logitech Disappointment, October 6, 2008
Joseph L. Howes (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
I have a long history with Logitech products, and the mouse I reverted to after returning the V470 is a Logitech mouse (and I have a whole new appreciation for it).

Here's my experience with the V470:

- The installer took a LONG time (it's a mouse....what's taking so long? A new bluetooth stack?). Logitech product install is usually much faster.

- The installer failed to find the mouse twice, then succeeded on the third attempt. When it finally did acquire the mouse the connection stayed solid.

- The response is terrible and annoying. The mouse sleeps after about two seconds. If you move your hand off the mouse to do something quick (like press ENTER), that's long enough for it to sleep. When you move it after two seconds the cursor jumps around for a second or so before it completely wakes up (this is a common complaint with the V470 if you Google around a bit). For the few hours I used it I would regularly click the wrong link on a web page or start the wrong application in the start menu because of this jumpiness.

- Even when the mouse is awake it feels VERY rough and inaccurate. Selecting text is annoying enough that you notice it every single time. I don't think I could get used to it.

- The decision to return it was locked when I plugged in my old mouse and it was *SO* liquid smooth and totally responsive. If you gently push the V470 across your mouse pad, the cursor's movement is very rough and stuttery. My old mouse (just a Cordless Optical) behaves totally smoothly under very fast or very slow movement.

I had purchased the V470 because I didn't want to deal with the Cordless Optical's dongle, but after this experience I'll be sticking with the old mouse. I don't know if this is a V470 issue or a Bluetooth mouse issue in general, but this was a HUGE disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mouse!, October 6, 2007
I bought this mouse for my macbook and it works great.The mouse comes with a CD which had software for both MAC OS and Windows OS. Installation of software was easy and mac's built-in bluetooth immediately recognized the mouse. I have windows installed on Mac thru Bootcamp and this mouse works great on windows side as well.

The bluetooth connectivity is good and the software on the system allows us to control pointer/clicking speed and some other advanced options.The size of mouse is medium,not as big as regular mice. I like the On/Off switch provided at the bottom for saving battery power.The carrying case which comes with this mouse is also decent.

Overall I am very satisfied with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse--software not necessary on vista, October 9, 2007
Mouse works perfectly for most purposes. The power switch on the bottom is a nice feature (I've had other that the only way to turn them off was remove the batteries). The carrying case comes in handy. The only latency issues are when I first start to use the mouse, it takes half a second before the cursor moves and when windows is running slow. I am using it with Vista Ultimate, which makes the software it comes with not only not necesarry, but a detriment. I would recomend not using the logitech mouse software. Windows will recognize the mouse as soon as it starts up and even install the drivers for it without using the disk. But, when the logitech software is installed the mouse works fine until the logitech software loads. The mouse then quits working and the logitech software asks if I would like to reconnect the mouse. Again, without the software installed, the mouse connects automatically and stays connected. Also, the tilt wheel scrolling and zoom features only seem to work if the sofware is installed. But, the horizontal tilt wheel scrolling is so horribly slow even when it is set to maximum speed that it is unbearable. The opening to press the reconnect button on the bottom of the mouse is so small I have to use my finger nail to press it. But, on vista, it seems that you only need to press it the first time you connect the mouse to your computer, so it's not that big of a deal.
Other than those issues, the mouse works great and I'm pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a bluetooth mouse and has built in blue tooth on their computer, since this mouse does not come with a bluetooth adaptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and Chic!, October 31, 2007
Valerie (West Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This mouse is great, the best Bluetooth mouse ever!

Well to be fair, I never had another Bluetooth mouse. However, I did a lot of research before purchasing this product because I was debating between a USB wireless mouse and a Bluetooth mouse. Since I have a laptop with Bluetooth capability (Sony VGN-CR290), why not go for the one that has less to worry about and also not having to take up a USB link.

I was worried since the reviews I read of other name brand Bluetooth mice had connection problems. Well this one doesn't! I installed the software, turned on the mouse and viola; it instantly worked, with great precision too. It hasn't dropped once, even through objects (under blanket). I should also mention I like the feature of the scrolling wheel. You can select different task instead of side scrolling (I like the option of forward/back instead).

Overall, I definitely recommend this mouse, it's small but not uncomfortably small, well designed, has great precision, and connectivity too! A definite great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, November 26, 2007
This mouse works great. Easy setup. No Lag. Bluetooth, so no more cords/dongles.
But that was all expected.

It also has a wheel that can rocked from side to side. I assigned these "buttons" to back and forward in my browser. I use them all the time. Way more intuative to use than the back/forward buttons I've had on the side of mice in the past. I love it.