5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in extremely small packages
First impressions based on about 30 minutes of use:

Packaging-Very small box made me wonder just how big this speaker would be. It is pretty well protected inside the package, and speaker was covered in protective film. Take off the top sticker off slowly, otherwise a sticky residue will be left behind.

Size-This is a micro boombox. I have uploaded...
Published on November 30, 2011 by NB

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok speaker, too expensive and distorted.
Published on February 13, 2012 by Carl McIntosh

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in extremely small packages, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Mini Boombox for Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops - Black (Personal Computers)
First impressions based on about 30 minutes of use:

Size-This is a micro boombox. I have uploaded some pictures, but the speaker is about as wide as an iPhone, about 1-1.5 inches tall, and about 2 inches deep at its deepest part.

Design-The top of the boombox is very high gloss, the sides a soft rubbery material, and a back panel with an on/off switch, AUX in, and Mini-USB charging port. The bottom of the speaker sits on two rubber pieces that keep the speaker from moving around.

Sound-Surprisingly loud and clear (I'd say about 2x louder than my MacBook Pro). I thought it was pretty bass heavy at first, but haven't really noticed much. The Bluetooth fidelity is really great, a lot better than my Yamaha home theatre system (the BT adapter for that cost the same as this boombox). It easily fills up a living room size area, but probably would get drowned out by the noise of several people talking.

UI-The interface is slick. I pressed the BT button on the top, and instantly the boombox showed up on my phone. I paired without having to enter a code, and was able to control my phone's music library directly from the soft touch controls on top of the boombox. There is a separate volume control on the boombox, so you can adjust the volume on the phone and/or boombox independently of each other. There is a small Logitech logo box on the front of the boombox which is backlit by various LED lights. The different colors/combinations/pulses alert you to different things.

Battery life-I can't speak to this yet I haven't tried to run down the battery left. I'm not really sure how to check the battery life, but the indicators for low life include a solid red LED on the front meaning low, and a blinking red LED meaning "Extremely low battery", so this shouldn't be too hard to get a read on. The instruction manual suggests that one will only have to charge the device once a month. Also, the charging cable is a mini-USB cable that you can disconnect from the AC adapter and charge with your computer (assuming your computer's USB port provides enough juice--MBP works fine).

Overall I'm pretty excited with this purchase. I bought it mostly for taking out to the park, around the apartment, etc so it will fit the bill pretty nicely. I think if I wanted a portable solution that could provide a dual purpose of being used as an entertainment device, I would probably go with the new Bose Soundlink, but it is about 3x as much money, so maybe I'd just get 2 Mini Boomboxes :)?

UPDATE:
Surprised by how loud this speaker is, and how clear it is even at higher volumes. I have been in the audio dead zone in my apartment (can't hear anyone talking to me in that spot no matter where they are) yet I can hear the music from across the apartment.

Also, the speaker connects over BT to my MacBook Pro and offers a Mono and Stereo mode. The stereo sounds much better than the mono, but the reason I think it provides the mono, is because it appears to have a microphone built in which will allow you to use this as a speakerphone attachment for a cell phone. That also explains why one of the buttons is a phone button (shared button with the BT button). I have not tried to use it as a speakerphone, nor do I really like using speakerphone, but I'm not quite sure if the mic would be good enough to pick up more than one or two people who are speaking directly at the mini boombox since the mic appears just to be a small pinhole in the top of the device.

4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Mini Boombox vs Creative D100 vs Logitech Wireless Boombox vs Jawbone JAMBOX, March 14, 2012
F. Qin (Los angeles,CA) - See all my reviews
I ENDED KEEPING THE - Jawbone JAMBOX $170 - You get what you pay for!

Jawbone JAMBOX $170 - PROs: Sharpest & Krisp high and mid sound, good base, Amazing design, ultra portable, long battery, easy to sync to Iphone4
Logitech Wireless Boombox $150 - PROs: Loudest, Good sound & base - CONs: Big, Not too portable
Creative D100 $90 - PROs: Good Design, especially the white colored ones - CONs: Sound is Ok, not great, uses AAA batteries doesn't charge
Logitech Mini Boombox $80 - PROs: Good sound, Small, Good Design - CONs: You will get a lot of micro-scratches to the top glossy finish

Money doesn't matter! = Jawbone JAMBOX
I Need the biggest sound! = Logitech Wireless Boombox
I need something affordable and good! = Logitech Mini Boombox

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, December 14, 2011
The Logitech Mini Boombox is one of the best tiniest speakers I have ever heard.

I am a road warrior and for the past ten years I have searched for a decent portable speaker that didn't have 10,000 cables, an AC adapter, was complicated to use, and sounded decent. I have a drawer full of maybe a dozen different speakers that never really panned out. Lately, I've been relegated to just listening to that rotten teeny speaker on my iPad.

Enter the Mini Boombox. This thing worked perfectly right out of the box. No cables. No AC adapter. One small rugged plastic box that I can toss in my carryon bag. It stays connected within about 20-30 feet. And, it sounds good.

The size is nearly perfect. It is roughly the length and width of an iPhone. It is about three inches tall, with nicely rounded sides. The bottom has two really nice rubber strips that keep the speaker from moving around (when this thing is cranked, it vibrates like crazy). This fits in my hand nicely.

There are two two inch speakers, even though the speaker is mono (or it is stereo, but the speakers are so close to each other there is absolutely no separation or stereo effect). This is a sealed bass reflex design - there is a very large rubber diaphragm underneath the fixed top panel. The venting for the diaphragm is a neatly designed slit around the back of the speaker.

All the no wires, no AC adapter, no batteries, cool design, small size would be worthless if this thing sounded really bad. Now, this is no audiophile device, but dang this thing sounds nice. I'm really surprised. Bass response is not bad at all, when this is played really loud, the whole thing vibrates but never rattles or sounds horribly stressed. The weirdest thing, the sound is surprisingly well balanced. There is no way in the world this should sound this good. Two two inch drivers have no business outputting sound this decent.

Maximum volume is surprisingly loud. At high volume, the speaker is very directional - directly on axis it is loud. Too far off axis and the sound drops off a lot. For spread and volume, physics just gets in the way, only two speakers that small could not cover a room. Bottom line, this plays way louder than will ever be needed in a hotel room. Even at maximum volume the speakers never clip. At low volumes the sound is much clearer.

Pairing is easiest thing I've ever seen. I paired this with an iPad, iPhone 4, and an Android HTC Inspire phone. The first pairing couldn't be easier. Turn on the speaker with the on / off switch in the back. Wait a few seconds for the front light to flash red and blue. Turn on Bluetooth on your device. In a very short time, the speaker shows up as Miniboombox, and it automatically connects. Done, that's it, nothing more to do.

Volume is controlled either from the device or the speaker. There are touch sensitive areas on the top of the speaker that are labeled + and -, those adjust the volume. There's another area for playing, pausing, and skipping forward / backward the music. And in the center a little raised bump there is an area to restart pairing or answer the phone. It's was harder to write than it is to use. The darn thing is intuitive.

And wait, there's more! This thing is a speaker phone too. Incredibly that works extremely well. The sound is very nice and the microphone sensitive.

The box includes a very short USB cable and an AC adapter. Neither of those will travel with me. I'll charge this with a longer USB cable and my laptop. No need to haul around another AC adapter. This charges just fine with an Apple charger for the iPhone or iPad.

Around back, in addition to the on / off switch, there is a 3.5mm port to directly connect a device (headphone jack on the device to this input on the speaker), and a mini-USB port for charging. That's it. Nothing more. Couldn't be simpler.

There are only a few minor downsides to this. There's no battery level indicator. When the battery gets low the music starts to fade up and down every so subtly. Eventually a light comes on the front of the speaker. I wish there was a way to check charge level. While charging the front light flashes blue, when fully charged the light stops flashing.

What an amazing little speaker package. Don't expect audiophile sound from this. Even so the sound is darn good. And I can't beat being able to carry around my phone or iPad and have these really good sounding speakers pumping out the music. I can now play Angry Birds and listen to my music with decent fidelity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound from a compact, stylish package, March 14, 2012
Length:: 1:43 Mins

What I like:

- Sounds great
- Produces lots of volume
- Paired easily with my iPhone and Netbook
- Feels sturdy
- I can use it as a speaker phone
- I can charge it from any USB power source
- It has nifty glowing-red controls
- It has "sticky" rubber feet to keep it from sliding around

What I didn't like:

- ... (I really can't think of anything and will update the review if I do.)

This is the speaker I'm taking with on my next trip.

Please feel free to let Amazon and me know whether this was helpful to you or not, since it helps me improve my reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect for what it is, July 2, 2012
T. Gaydos "Tom G." (King of Prussia, PA) - See all my reviews
For what the Logitech Mini Boombox is, it is about as close to perfect as you can get. The key to your happiness with this device is your intended use for it. If you're looking for an extremely portable Bluetooth speaker that gets loud enough to use at the beach, or to use on a deck while 10-15 people have conversations, then this is the speaker for you. If you're a business traveler who wants a companion speaker for your laptop/phone/tablet that is small, light, and makes for a solid speakerphone, then this is the speaker for you. If you in any way use the word "audiophile" to describe yourself (and actually mean it) or are looking for something to provide sound for a full-on party, this is not your speaker (actually, Bluetooth speakers in general are probably not your cup of tea).

DESIGN
Let's face it...the thing is straight-up "cute". It's about the size of two stacked decks of cards or 5 iPhones stacked on one another. The most surprising part is the weight. It only weighs 8 ounces. As in half a pound. The speaker grill is metal, the sides are a rubbery material, but otherwise it's plastic. The capacitive touch buttons on the top function well, although I'd personally prefer physical buttons. They pretty much disappear in the sun, although there aren't that many of them, so you can usually do whatever you're trying to do anyway. The back is open at the top to expose the passive bass radiator. I was worried about sand or dirt getting in there, but so far haven't had any issues. The bottom has two rubber strips that act as feet when placed on a surface. Overall the design is nice. Very consistent with Logitech's design language. Not a stunner, but nice looking.

FEATURES
2 stereo speakers and a passive bass radiator handle the sound reproduction. The logo in the front glows or flashes blue or red for various reasons (power, charging, pairing mode, etc.) The aforementioned capacitive touch buttons on the top are responsive and allow you to control volume up/down, pause/play, forward or back, answer a call/initiate a redial, enter pairing mode. There is a USB port, 1/8" input line jack, and on/off switch in the back. The Bluetooth and 1/8" connections are nice. The fact that it ably functions as a speakerphone is a nice bonus. That you can control the volume from your connected device is convenient, as is the fact that you can pause/play and skip tracks from the speaker unit itself. The 10-hour battery life is another bonus.

SOUND
The sound that comes out of this thing is astonishing. Something this small and light simply has no business being this loud with this much bass. I honestly don't know what anyone complaining about the sound was expecting. Yeah, on bass heavy music it'll start to break up a bit at like 80-90% volume, but it never really goes to pieces. At 60% volume the Mini Boombox is already noticeably louder than a Jambox. The bass I speak of isn't going to shake any rooms, but it'll vibrate the table pretty good. At 80% volume it is uncomfortably loud for most situations anyway. One thing to be aware of is that at max volumes with bass heavy music, the Mini Boombox will "walk" a bit on you. Basically, it rattles itself around the table, especially on plastic or wood. While it is technically stereo sound, there isn't much sound separation just because the speakers are so physically close to one another.

REAL LIFE IMPRESSIONS
I've had this thing for a little over a week and brought it down to the beach house with me this past weekend. Between my house and the beach, I sold at least 4 or 5 of these things for Logitech just from people walking up and asking "what is that?". At the beach I had it sitting on a cooler about 6 feet away at maybe 50% volume and it as more than fine for our circle of 15 or so people to hear. I had it on a large deck with about 18 people on it, volume at about 80% playing very bass heavy music (Drop it Like it's Hot, How to Love, Dirty Bass type of bass heavy). I actually had to turn it down. Think about that for a minute. I was asked to turn DOWN the micro speaker that was wirelessly playing from 15 feet away so that people could hear one another. Otherwise I've brought it out back with me to grill, use it in the bathroom while getting ready for work in the morning (more than loud enough to get over water running, exhaust fan running, etc.), and have had several business calls on it in the past few days. Speaking of which, it's an amazing speakerphone. Anyone within 10 feet can be heard very easily.

One thing to note is that it will "walk" a bit at high volumes with bass-heavy music. By that I mean it will literally rattle itself around the table. It's kinda funny when it happens. I put a napkin under it on the deck at the shore house and it stopped moving around. It's not really a problem, but something to look for to make sure it doesn't knock itself off a table.

I used the Mini Boombox for at least 7-8 hours over the past 3 days and it hasn't needed a recharge. Average volume was probably about 60% during that time, so I'd believe their 10 hour estimate.

COMPETITION
I was cross-shopping this with a Jawbone Jambox, a Monster ClarityHD, a Logitech Boombox, and the Bose Soundlink. For my purposes, the Soundlink and Boombox were simply too big and heavy. I needed compact and light. The Soundlink is amazing. It gets loud and stays remarkably clear. It's also $299, weighs 3 lbs, and is the size of a hardcover book. The Boombox is even a little bigger and, when plugged in, is fantastic (maybe even better than the Soundlink), but unfortunately steps the power down and sounds like crap when running on batteries. The Jambox was my early front runner...until I heard one in person. It's a great speakerphone and sounds incredible at low volumes. It goes to pieces when you turn it up even a little bit, though. I just can't see a Jambox being all that audible on a beach with crashing waves and wind. At low volumes, I'd say a Jambox sounds better, but even a mid-level volumes the Mini boombox is stronger with more bass and overall presence to the sound. The ClarityHD was pretty close in price, form, and function. It gets about as loud, same amount of bass, etc. I didn't like the button configuration as much on the ClarityHD and the battery only lasts half as long.

CONCLUSION
If the Jambox got 40% louder I'd probably have one instead of the Mini Boombox. But it doesn't. It breaks up at any decent volume level. If the Soundlink lasted more than 4 hours on battery power and wasn't almost the size of the SoundDock, I'd probably have one of those. Yet I don't. The Mini Boombox fits the right amount of volume, clarity, portability, and functionality for what I was looking for. I highly recommend it and look forward to using it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's tiny but works great!, December 4, 2011
I have been using this little speaker during the last 3 days for music, movies, and phone calls. The setup was easy and smooth. Pairs up with my iPad2 with no problem at all.

The sound coming out from this little thing is amazing, consider the size of it. Granted, at this size, it is definitely lacking real bass. If that's what you are looking for, you'd need to buy one that's much larger. The sound is otherwise so much richer than the iPad's built-in speaker that I can start to truly enjoy the "music". I absolutely refuse to call anything come out from iPad's built-in speaker "music", it's just noisy buzz to me.

The speakerphone works well too with the iPad, as long as you keep the Mini Boombox within arms reach length from you. Further away than that, the voice picked up by it started to fade gradually. I ran into problems (intermittent sound and jittery video) when I used it for Facetime calls. I strongly suspect the problem is on iPad's processing power or something when adding the bluetooth processing to video calls, because I have no problem using it for voice-only calls. I don't think it's the Mini Boombox that having problem, although I don't have another bluetooth speakerphone to compare/verify this.

Anyway, this is a very useful addition to my iPad and iPhone. The battery should last pretty close to what Logitec claimed although I didn't try to count the hours accurately. I have used it for at least 5 - 6 hours in accumulation since the last full charge and it is still going strong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok speaker, too expensive and distorted., February 13, 2012
I liked this speaker at first, but the more I listened to it the more I realized that the speaker is distorted even at low levels. I bought it from Amazon and I am returning it today. A friend of mine has the Monster ClarityHD Precision Micro Portable Bluetooth Speaker and let me try it and it was much clearer plus it's like 15 bucks cheaper! So that's what I'll be getting once my money is refunded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing very little Speaker!!!, March 10, 2012
Wow I got this today and I love it. I have tried the Logitech USB Laptop Speaker Z305 and had to return it. This speaker is well worth the extra money. It is smaller than you even think when you get it out of the packet. Most importantly the sound is great and the volume is load enough. I use it for listening to music at home in my flat and it really does the job. Its easy to use and has a strong Bluetooth connection, I can put the speaker at the other side of the room and its still works great. I have taken of one star for two little reasons that are mentioned a lot in the reviews, it would be great to have a battery level signal on it and the top does scratch really easily which is a same but it does not change its performance so not to much of a big deal. I use this with my laptop and Ipod touch, I have had it on all day, so far so good. I am so pleased with it, finally just what I was looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising...No where close to 10 hours of charge time, October 16, 2012
My boombox would die after about 4 hours of outside time and because I use this on a patio or a boat on trips I contacted Logitech so say that I thought I had a defective speaker as it was half the time of the stated average time of 10 hours. They responded with this tech website showing that the device is 3-5 hours and they are sorry that "Amazon" gave me the wrong information. Clearly the information and graphics say "From the Manufacturer" on Amazon so it is not an "Amazon" problem. I used the time as the most important decision making in this process and would have bought a different model from a different company because how can I trust the times that Logitech wrote? They refuse to take back my item or apologize for this false advertising. Did anyone else feel like you sould get close to 9-10 hours based on the description here and not 3-5? If you are looking for a longer charge for weekend getaways etc. steer clear of this product. As a tech savy consumer there is no excuse as to why the graphics are still up on Amazon for this product claiming up to 10 hour of charge time.

[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't like it... decent, but not for the price..., February 4, 2012
My two star review is more about price/value/performance combination. I bought this and feel that it didn't live up to the description. I ended up spending even more money and going for the Creative Zii Sound D3X bluetooth speaker system, which is probably the best speaker system I've ever bought.

This little speaker puts out some decent sound, but lacks richness and depth... you may as well buy one of the little "hockey puck" or "popup" speakers instead for 1/4 of the price... or spend a little more and get the Creative Zii Sound D3X speaker. Or, if you truly have to have something battery powered, spend a little more money and get the logitech wireless boombox, which sounds quite nice - better than the bose bluetooth speaker and others that I test at the local Best Buy.

Conclusion - money better spent on something else - either smaller with same sound or bigger like logitech boombox with very good sound.

Rate and Discover Movies