5.0 out of 5 stars Using with my PS3 and X-540
Published on February 1, 2010 by Thomas Hoang

3.0 out of 5 stars Now what it seems
Published on June 3, 2008 by Andrew E. Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Now what it seems, June 3, 2008
This review is from: Logitech 5.1 Game Console Adapter Convert Rca Plugs To A Single 1/8 (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Be aware that if you are using a stereo source (two channels, red/white), you can butter it up all you want, but you are not getting surround sound. The closest you can physically get to true non-stereo sound with a stereo source is using Dolby Pro-Logic and Pro-Logic II. But to achieve that, you need a Dolby Pro-Logic/II receiver which would cost a pretty penny. This clearly does not do this.

What this adapter does, is the same thing you would achieve by splicing the rear left, front left, and center speaker wire together and connecting it to a single-channel plug (a white RCA plug). Then the same thing being repeated for the right channel with front right, rear right, and center.

Using this adapter, the sound will be all around you, but it won't be surround sound. You won't hear space ships and laser blasts flying around you, you won't hear dialog coming directly from the TV, music from the left and right, and special effects from behind you, nor will you hear any of the other advantages of a real surround sound system. It recreates two really big stereo speakers. That is all. You will hear one set of sounds on the left speakers, and another set of sounds on the right speakers. The same sound that is in your FRONT left speaker will be coming out of your REAR left speaker. Your center speaker just outputs the sound from both front left and front right speaker. The exact same thing can be accomplished by just running a speaker wire from your left speaker to another speaker behind you. What you will hear is two distinctive channels (left and right), but duplicated and sent to the back speakers. Actual 5.1 surround consists of 6 individual channels, one per speaker, plus the subwoofer.

This device does not allow 5.1 surround sound. If you buy an expensive 5.1 speaker set, you are selling yourself short.

Now if you don't care about this and you are just trying to utilize your 5.1 setup on a stereo source, by all means, the product works great. But if you are trying to avoid buying an AV receiver, you will be strongly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using with my PS3 and X-540, February 1, 2010
I'm using this to get surround sound with my Logitech X-540 and my PS3. Although it's not true Dolby surround sound, it's super cheap as well as the X-540 is. Before I got this, I was using the matrix mode on the X-540, and it's nowhere near as good as having this adapter because the sound isn't forced into all 5 speakers. I highly recommend this to those who don't have the expensive 5.1 systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, January 20, 2013
I got this adapter to see if I could use my old computer's Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers with my Samsung 55 inch flat screen TV. After all, it's a good set of speakers, but it had 3 wires to attach to the computer's sound card, and of course the TV has two wires for audio out. It works great, all six speakers sound good--even the woofer rumbles and gives a whole new dimension to watching a movie! Other reviewers note that this may not be true surround sound--but at this price and for the result you get, it is terrific! BTW, I have very little technical ability, I just read a lot, so if you--like me--just want to use your computer speakers (with 3 in wires) with your TV--this works great!

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it does...., May 1, 2007
D. Cloud (Grand Haven, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I got this game adapter to hook up my big screen TV to my Logitech X-530 surround speakers. I work third shift and live in a house that is divided into three apartments and I wanted to listen to the TV with headphones (the main speaker has a headphone jack). With the TV hooked up to the speakers (via the adapter) I can watch a movie or TV show and tune out the world at the same time while I sleep. This works great. The adapter is a hefty little black square with two RCA plugs on one side (for your TV) and three plugs on the other (green, black, and orange for your speakers). Just hook it up and you're good to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The simple explanation: What this is for and what to expect, December 2, 2009
What is this product used for?

Simply put, this device enables you to connect surround sound cables used for PCs to the red and white RCA cables used for Televisions.

How does it perform?

Perfectly! The sound is nice and loud. (This also depends on the quality of your speakers)

The 1 downfall:

1. Using this device emits sound from all of your surround speakers, but it won't be a true surround sound experience. It's technically Stereo sound split between the speakers on the left and right sides of the room. If you don't mind losing surround sound, this will definitely make a huge improvement on the cheap speakers that are built into most digital televisions.

Please rate this comment if you've found it useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good if you dont have true 5.1 surround sound, June 1, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
i use this for watching tv and playing ps3(mostly battlefield 3) and i have to say from just using the 3.5 mm jack and using the matrix button on my logitech x-540 to using this adapter it makes a world of difference it sounds crisper and cleaner out of all the speakers and even though its not true 5.1 surround sound, a 9 dollar adapter sure makes it seem like it is :) very happy with this adapter

UPDATE: i did notice that when using the RCA to 3.5 mm jack from the back of the tv connected to the sub woofer along with the matrix button(that imitates 5.1 out of a stereo source) on my X-540 the sound was louder compared to using it with the adapter but compared to using the adapter, the adapter is just better because it truly takes advantage of all speakers and it sounds cleaner and crisper

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, March 9, 2007
c_rider (Apple Valley, MN USA) - See all my reviews
No problems at all with this. I used this with my Harmon Kardon computer speakers (1 sub with amp and 2 satellites) to connect to the Wii. Worked flawlessly. Definitely solid construction as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect adapter for converting computer speakers into speakers for a TV, December 29, 2012
I had these very nice, practically brand new surround sound Altec Lansing speakers from a desktop computer I had from about 10 years ago sitting in a closet. When I got a new HDTV , I was going to get one of those new sound bars, but with this adapter I could use my existing speakers and get great sound and save money. I only saw these listed on eBay for more. when I called all the local stores like Best Buy, Radio Shack, Fry's, I got their typical clueless, unhelpful customer service. Ironically when I called Altec Lansing they were completely unhelpful too.

This really is the only adapter that works for this specific multi-computer speaker application since you need something that accepts all those multiple male end computer speaker size tips and converts them to audio (yellow/red) male plug that can go into the back of your TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got 5.1 Speakers Already? Only Stereo Output? Use ALL your speakers without breaking the bank!, August 28, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had a desktop computer that I used to play games on. The computer had 5.1 audio card so I purchased a Logitech 5.1 surround sound system. I now use a laptop, and don't really play very many games, nor do I watch movies on my computer. So, I don't really have a very big need to have 5.1 surround sound coming from my computer.

So I was looking for a way to make the best use of the five speakers and subwoofer that I have and are still really very good. The problem is that the connectors that go to the Logitech 5.1 speakers are three mini headset plugs. So, I could only plug-in one of them (and obviously it was the right left channel plug). This made three of my speakers and my subwoofer basically useless. The right and left channel amplified speakers still sounded very good (and a hell of a lot better than the laptop speakers), but I wanted to use ALL of the speakers that I have.

I could spend $50+ on an external sound card that would allow me to have true 5.1 sound (and I still might), but I don't really see why I would need that based on how I use my computer. I decided to give this little device and try, and so far it's been working great. It is true that I am not actually getting 5.1 audio. I am however getting stereo audio through all five of the speakers and subwoofer. And that's really all I wanted to begin with.

The connector is of solid construction the cables fit tight and I'm not having any sort of audio issues. If you don't really care about having 5.1 audio, and you'd like to get something that is inexpensive and will allow you to use all of your speakers if you have a 5.1 audio system, this is the device for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the right product!, February 22, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have had a fantistic Logitec system from 3 years now. 6 months ago, the computer I had it hooked up to gave up on me. The speaker system just sat in my closet because there way to hook it up to my TV to make it a home theater system. When I found this product, it took me about 5 seconds to make the purchase. It's not true surround sound but it's sure better than having the stereo collect dust in a closet. Great product for the price!