5.0 out of 5 stars A great mouse that happens to work on couches.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:56 Mins
I have always enjoyed Logitech mice, but hated how dog fur would get into the sensor area and create all sorts of tracking issues. This one maintains the areas Logitech is always strong, and really improves itself in some areas that no cordless mice are usually good at (like Pug fur resistance).

First the battery life is incredible...
Published on February 17, 2011 by S. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars m515 is best of not great field
i have logitech V550, m505, m515. I owned a V550 before and it died after 10 days. But I bought a new one because it has a decent middle button and tracks well anywhere, i thought i maybe had bad luck before.

Published on February 8, 2011 by rk

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mouse that happens to work on couches., February 17, 2011
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Logitech Couch Mouse M515 for PC or Mac (Silver) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:56 Mins

First the battery life is incredible. I've only been using this mouse for about three weeks now, but in that time, my other cordless mice usually need to be recharged. This one is still full. I have no reason to doubt, with its motion activated control that the batteries will last a very long time.

The ultra compact wireless receiver is not a brand new feature, but it continues to be innovative. Compared to the wireless receivers on most of my cordless mice, this one works great and is extremely compact and unobtrusive.

The comfort, tracking, and accuracy of this mouse is as good, if not better than my other laser mice. I don't know what type of tracking technology is behind the sealed sensor on this, but it works great on most surfaces, and performs better than any mouse I've ever tried on fabrics, couches, and bedding. It tracks as well as my Logitech MX1100 on the surfaces that one will work on, which is not nearly as many as the M515.

Even if your mouse never leaves your desk, you should consider the M515 if you have pets. The fur from our two Pugs constantly manages to get into the sensor on my other mice. With the sealed sensor on the M515, that problem goes away immediately.

The size and features of this mouse are perfect for me. No better or worse than the MX1100 or my other mice.

I recommend that you try this mouse if you use your computer on couches, beds, or other non-ideal locations.

---- Update June 2011 ----

After six months of use, I am still very happy with this mouse. It works great, stays clean, and isn't affected by dirt, dog fur, or any of the other things that plague my other mice.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful with a drawback, May 28, 2011
ChessOak (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
Got this mouse for my wife. She wanted a replacement for her corded mouse in the office. For her laptop at home she had the Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse and she was very happy with it, so she wanted something similar.

When I saw the "couch mouse" (Logitech M515) I thought this might be a better fit at home, because she often uses her laptop at home sitting on the couch and she had difficulty using the M305 mouse on the arm of the couch. My thinking was that she could move the M305 mouse to the office and replace it with the M515 mouse at home.

She did this and she says the M515 is noticeably better at tracking and scrolling when she uses the arm or seat of the couch as a surface. There is, unfortunately a drawback, otherwise I would have rated it at 5 stars. She has a wooden laptop stand. If she tries to use the mouse on that, then the flat surface of the M515 makes a harsh grating sound and the tactile feedback is unpleasant as it does not move smoothly over the wooden surface as the M305 did.

I would think that one has to make a determination on use and either use a "normal" or stay completely on fabric (or maybe even a mouse pad) using the M515 or otherwise stick with regular mice that does not have the totally smooth bottom surface.

Another thing to know is that the M515 mouse is slightly larger than the M305 mouse. This is not an issue per se, it simply means it is slightly larger if this matters to you.

UPDATE (1-31-2013): After some time, we have found that the battery cover falls off frequently. It is as if the clip is not strong enough or secure enough to hold it in place. I suspect that the wear and tear of the mouse cover over harder surfaces might have something to do with it, but I'm really not sure why. I've tried using heat to reform the clip, but no success. Reviewers on another electronics site also mentioned this, so I thought I should update my review to include this fact. I'm on Amazon tonight specifically to buy a replacement mouse. It won't be another one. If I could I would revise my star rating, but that, unfortunately is not possible.

3.0 out of 5 stars m515 is best of not great field, February 8, 2011
rk (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews

Then I bought m515, because reading the marketing it seemed it should be better. Using it, I like the sealed bottom, the smooth tracking, which is great on *almost* any fabric or surface, see below, and it has a mappable middle button for use in Cygwin. Just one glaring issue that makes v550 better: the m515 won't track at all on my white desk. I have a fairly plain white Ikea desk for occasional stuff and the m515 has a dead zone there. Put down a mouse pad and it's fine again. It's not jerky, or slow, or partially good. It's like the white turns OFF tracking completely. I also have a white-ish formica counter, and the m515 is fine there. But formica is slightly textured, not perfectly flat, and it's not a plain white.

oh and the m505 keeps working fine, but using the scroll wheel as middle button is bad for this one because it takes more pressure to push it then is comfortable for all day use. I just want a real button.

4.0 out of 5 stars My solution to lag, September 18, 2011
Immediately after buying this mouse, I experienced intermittent lag problems. On both my mac and PC, the mouse would freeze for about 3 seconds every 15 -- incredibly annoying! Updating drivers, changing batteries, moving the receiver to different USB ports, changing mousepad surfaces ... none of these solutions worked.

Just now I went into the SetPoint settings module and turned off the SetPoint hardware acceleration. It's under "game settings", "speed and acceleration", then I switched to "OS implementation".

I hope this works for everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect., April 5, 2011
I researched all the reviews before buying this mouse, so there were no surprises. I have been using Logitech mice for at least fifteen years.

This is one of the best mice I've ever used. It feels good in the hand. Works perfectly with a standard mouse pad. I really appreciate the closed base (for the last five or six years I have put clear celophane tape over optical mouse sensor openings to keep cat hair and other debris out).

Trouble free installation on Linux. Unplugged the receiver of a 5-year old Logitech optical, plugged in the new receiver and started using the new mouse in mid-session. Didn't miss a point or a click.

I have one minor complaint: The scroll wheel no longer has middle-button functionality. The separate button works and I'm gradually adapting to it, but it's more difficult than simply mashing on the wheel with the middle finger. I've been using 3-button optical mice since the late 1980s so it takes a while to retrain me. Any old UNIX guys who read this know what I'm talking about. ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Potentially something awesome, November 30, 2011
Pros:
Movement is smooth and easy, the mouse has a nice weight and a good feel to it.
The coolest feature on this mouse is the ability to toggle your scroll wheel into a flywheel, I didn't think I'd need this until I started using it. Now I can scroll through thousands of lines of code in a single flick. This feature is also a must have for music people, you can adjust dials in audio software with very smooth movement.
The tiny receiver is awesome, and there's a place for it under the battery cover.

Cons:
The biggest problem this mouse has, is they moved the middle click button to a tiny button that's out of reach of your fingers. In it's place, is the mechanism that toggles the scroll wheel click. On my other logitec mouse (M705) this action completely reversed and it works perfectly, I don't understand why can't they just use the same design on this mouse? Middle click is a requirement for day to day computing, I'll middle click more than I'll toggle this. This is why my review is only 2 stars. Otherwise the mouse would get 5.
My only other complaint is that the mouse is a bit small for a full size mouse, this is very subjective and depends from person to person. I don't have large hands, but with this mouse my pinky and ring fingers will drag, I don't normally have this issue with neutral hand mice.

Overall:
This seems like it's generally a great mouse, short of the misplacement of the middle button.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison to M705 Marathon Mouse, June 1, 2011
I purchased the M705 Marathon Mouse and M515 Couch Mouse at the same time. I chose these because of their long battery life (3 and 2 years respectively), which will be impressive even if they only last half that long. After using both for a week I'm still not sure which one I prefer.

Pros:

The couch mouse's scrollwheel is a little easier to use, although both are are clumsy and inaccurate; sometimes they scroll on their own, sometimes not at all. The freescrolling mode is even worse; a useless feature for me.

The couch mouse is solidly built and the marathon feels flimsy in comparason, with stickier buttons and a thin plastic case that rattles when you scroll.

The couch mouse is slightly smaller in all dimensions.

Cons:

The couch mouse is lacking extra buttons; only the side-to-side rocking of the scrollwheel which is hard to use without scrolling, and the square button on top which is awkward to reach and hard to push down. The marathon mouse has 3 extra programmable buttons on the thumb.

The marathon's ergonomic shape feels great for right-handers. The couch mouse is a little small for some hands and harder to grip.

The couch mouse didn't perform better on fabric. If anything the marathon mouse is better on cloth and uneven surfaces because you can press down on the off-side sensor. I've been using mice on couches for years without gunking up the insides so I doubt the couch mouse's covered sensor really matters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but has some problems, May 21, 2012
First the good: the laser part on the bottom is sealed in so dust doesnt collect in there. That was my problem with my logitech M510. I'd clean the dust out and it would work fine and then in a few days it had dust again. So the couch mouse eliminates that problem.

now the cons: The mouse is only on when your hand is fully over the mouse. This is a poor design because if yo have big hands like mine, your hands lift off the mouse, scrunch over, and then the finger tips come back down onto the mouse buttons, but the palm is not firmly resting on the mouse, and that will cause the mouse to not detect your hand and turn off!!! So while I'm moving the mouse around, it will sometimes stop moving because it just turns off. same with the mousewheel - i need to lift my palm off the mouse to get my fingertips onto the mouse wheel. the solution is I have to have an unnatural placement of my hand on the mouse to keep in contact with it so it doesnt turn off.

Would I buy this mouse again if I could do it over? Yes. because eliminating the dust problem is huge for me, and this is the only mouse I know of that does it. So absolutely I am happy I have this mouse, and I have learned to tolerate that my hand needs to rest slightly uncomfortably on the mouse to keep it from turning off.
One more thing. One reviewer said that the mouse didnt work well on his white desk, and I have had the same problem with my white desk. But using a mousepad will fix this. And yes it does work great on fabrics.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating to use., June 29, 2011
A co-worker and I both got this mouse because of the sleek look and because Logitech typically makes fantastic products. This mouse, however, would cut out in spurts. For a period of about an hour it would work for 5 seconds then stop for 10, then work for 5 and stop for 10, and so on. It has done this almost everyday since I got it. Same for my co-worker. I love Logitech's products, except this mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Designed and Linux Compatible, February 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used the Logitech Couch Mouse M515 while doing this review. Its performance is very smooth. It even worked while moving it across a square piece of cardboard (though it was less smooth over a more reflective surface or over a dull plastic one, but still worked, this is pretty standard that optical mice doing better on some surfaces and not others, and are meant to be used with a mousepad, but it is nice to know in a pinch cardboard or paper can be used works as good). It feels weighted in such a way that it has a smooth glide. All the controls work well and as expected. It has a scroll dial which is a little more responsive than some of the scrolls I have used before. Some of them, while entering a new scroll field, would need to be clicked once in the field before the scroll works in the field, but this scroll function seems to work as soon as you move the cursor into the new field. It is a useful feature for zipping around some of the busier browser pages.

What I like most about the mouse is some of the elements of the design. One is the very small USB receiver. Even though they call this a "couch" mouse, this feature is very good for a laptop that you want to carry around. The USB receiver is small enough to leave in the laptop without worrying about it sticking out and breaking off, which is a hazard. It also has an "on and off" button on the bottom, so that you do not accidentally drain power when not in use. Some wireless mouse designs do not have this feature and can get accidentally drained by some bumping around in a backpack turning it on. The small USB receiver, too, has a small compartment in the battery case where it is unlikely to ever get lost when it is not in use. The couch mouse is probably a little bit bigger than you would want with some portables, but these features are great for a laptop mouse.

There are a few features that are hard to notice about this mouse, but are worth noting. One is the sealed base that prevents any dust from accumulating and interfering with the function, no need to stop, take a Q-tip, and clean out some crevice. The device, besides having on on/off switch, has hand activation and automatic turn off when not held, so it conserves energy. It seems these design elements dovetail with inner features that promise more battery life per a battery set. Logitech claims that two batteries could last up to two years. The design features do seem to promise this kind of battery life, though I have not used it long enough to verify whether or not this is true.

The other not so obvious feature is a "unifying receiver". It seems that the same receiver can receive signals from a compatible wireless keyboard and other devices, though you might need to double check the product to make sure it works with this particular receiver. This suggests that we can avoid some USB port clutter by using the same receiver for more than one product. This feature is interesting, but is not one I have personally tested. I thought it was worth noting for comprehensiveness.

All the features of this mouse, too, are available on Linux. I am typing this review on Linix Mint 9 and it was plug and play. No drivers were needed and all the features worked fine. While I think nearly every Linux system has integrated USB mice, sometimes some features are lost without the right drivers. This one has no loss of features on the Linux system I tested it on. All in all, a great wireless mouse with some superior features that other mice do not have.

Update 9/3/2012: It is over a year and a half since I wrote the review above. I am still using this mouse and I have not yet changed the batteries. I am finding that the scroll is both very sensitive and excellent in moving up and down the pages, and that the mouse is high pixel resolution, so that I have no trouble clicking on small boxes on the screen and getting a response. It is one of the best mice that I have used on a computer.

I did want to make a note here, too, about Linux compatibility. When I had posted the original review, it was more important to mention whether or not a device was Linux compatible. But since that time, the number of generic drivers and adapted manufacturer drivers that are available on Linux has increased significantly, especially on Linux Mint 11, which recognized and installed a wireless driver from its OS disk that Linux Mint OS 9 did not have. While the number of devices that are covered by Linux is not 100 percent, the odds are very high now that most devices are plug and play. I am mainly aware of Linux Mint, Linux Mint Debian, and Ubuntu why I am saying this. The only area that I have found some issues is on the graphics tablets. This may or may not have been resolved by now, but when I last checked you had to do a manual install of the drivers and it was a complex process. Only a few of the older Wacoms were plug and play.

I have been finding that a high dpi (dots per square inch) mouse seems, to me, more practical for doing graphics and art work on GIMP (the open source equivalent of Photoshop). After having tried a number of different input devices, from actual graphics tablets (the Wacom), to a device that attaches to your index finger, and to a trackball, the high dpi mice feel the best for me. They use standard drivers found on all Linux OS's and are always plug and play. There is a small learning curve, but I can draw well with them. I recommend a wireless or a wired (again tried both), because the wired one sometimes gets a little stuck and has blocked the drawing flow. They are less bulky than a graphics tablet, have less that goes wrong with them, and are cheaper to replace if something happens to them. This particular one is a good example of the kind of mouse that works well for doing art through GIMP.

Update 8/21/2013: I just wanted to add that, much to my surprise, that I still have not changed the batteries! I use this mouse everyday on a computer dedicated to media playing (on Linux Mint OS 9). It has never glitched even once since I got it.

Update 8/27/2013: Finally had to change the battery. If you compare the date of this entry to the date of the first posting of this review (2/25/2011), you can get a sense of the battery life of this mouse. I posted the review after using the mouse for about one month. The mouse was used many times everyday to navigate websites from streaming videos on a computer dedicated to being a media player.