1,252
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick (Silver/Black)
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$32.39 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 16, 2003
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick is a good all-around stick. For those wanting to use, say, Flight Simulator for educational purposes, the Extreme 3D is a good choice.

In fact, this type of stick is much more realistic than models with "Force Feedback": the stick movement on a genuine modern helicopter in flight feels smooth and fluid, like power steering on your car. Force Feedback may be fun, but I don't think it's very realistic for many of the scenarios it's currently used in.

Specifically, here's what I rated it by:
* Quality of components and assembly: The action of the stick is smooth. No flimsy play in the controls. The hat switch and trigger pull have a positive feel with close tolerances.
* Comfortable handgrip: like the overall product, the design and machining of the grip is off high-quality, without any annoying seems or sharp ridges.
* Smooth throttle control: this is a small detail, but compared with some of the other models out there, it's notable.
* Stable base that allows you to either rest it firmly on a table or in your lap.
* Subtle movements are reflected in the game.
* Overall appearance - it looks as good as it performs.

Things to NOTE:
* This is definitely a right-handed joystick.
* It plugs into a USB port
* I used it with Microsoft Flight Sim 2002 running on an XP Pro system: Installing the software that came with the joystick was effortless and when I opened Flight Sim, all of the buttons were already mapped to the appropriate functions.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 9, 2005
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I bought this joystick for gaming on my Mac and was a bit disappointed when the box arrived and it said "PC only"... However, I plugged it in to my iBook and it worked just great on Battlefield 1942 even without installing any drivers (I'm using OSX). I also can use it on my Windows PC without any problem. It comes with a drivers CD for Windows.

It improved my game 100% when flying planes in Battlefield, I would definitely recommend this to anybody who plays games in which flying is involved. It's pretty sturdy and quite large, and very comfortable to hold, though it's definitely for right-handed gamers only.

It has a separate throttle control (a lever that you push forward or backward) that's quite sensitive, and the handle twists left and right to control the rudder (as well as moving 360 degrees like any other joystick). There are 13 buttons so there's plenty of choice when mapping your controls.

Personally I much prefer this joystick over one that comes with force feedback - the vibration works against what you're trying to do and makes playing harder. You can't beat this joystick for the price.

After this I could never go back to playing Battlefield using only mouse and keyboard. It takes the gaming experience to the next level.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2004
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
I received this joystick as a Christmas gift for use on my computer. The initial set up and installation was quick and easy, and I immediately used it on "Pacific Fighters". The stick is comfortable to hold, or it can be placed on a table or desk. The rapid fire trigger is especially helpful in combat games, and the swivel feature is an added plus. There are several programmable buttons which can be customized by the user, and the throttle control is very smooth to operate.

I highly recommend this joystick. It performed exceptionally for me on "Pacific Fighters", and I'm looking forward to trying it out on "Axis and Allies" and "MVP Baseball 2004". With this joystick, you'll be able to play your favorite computer games with ease and comfort.
on December 19, 2003
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
This is a sweet flight stick. easy to set up and calibrate. really a no brainer to use. feels really smooth, and the throttle and programmable buttons are all really easy to reach and use. No complaints. I use this to play MS flight sim 2004, and it works great. You just load up the game and go.
on May 29, 2005
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
I've only used this joystick on a Mac, so I can't comment on the quality of the drivers and software for Windows. Here are my impressions from using it:

* Installation was cake. I plugged it in to the USB hub on my keyboard, and that's it. No drivers to install, no need to even bother with the included CD.

* Throttle control is very smooth and precise.

* Pitch, roll, and yaw (rudder) are also very smooth with great feel. This is not a sloppy flight stick in any way.

* All the buttons are well-positioned, assuming you are right-handed. The buttons on the base are extremely handy in a flight sim, for setting things like rudder trim, or for toggling various features on your aircraft.

I got this stick primarily for use with the X-Plane flight simulator, and it works extremely well. The base is very stable when used on a desk or lap, and the joystick as a whole has a solid, smooth feel. If you don't need or want force feedback, this is an outstanding joystick at a good price.
on January 25, 2007
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I got this joystick for my Flight Simulator and it is just what I needed! The special feature of twisting stick is a must to easily control the rudder pedals (and therefor to move the rudder) and also for turning properly during aircraft taxing.

It got 11 buttons + trigger (that counts twelve), hat switch for easily move your view and the throttle control for smoothly manage your engines power.

Overall, it behaves perfect, doesn't tip over, smooth sensation. I recommend this control device if you like flight simulators, I don't use it on anything else but will see if it got good use.

Oh btw, as soon I plugged the device into my front usb port, WinXP did the rest, I didn't have to use the installation CD, and my flight simulator software detected it too when I first run the game after installing the joystick.

What can I say... I am a happy customer, x'D
on October 25, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This review compares the "Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick" and the "Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick" specifically in the context of Star Citizen: Arena Commander

At this point in the development of Star Citizen I don't recommend buying any kind of stick or HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick). Currently keyboard and mouse are more fully optimized. You can pilot and dogfight more precisely with a mouse than with a stick. They are however working to make sticks and full HOTAS setups a better option. So if at some point in the future you're trying to decide between the Thrustmaster and the Logitech here's my thoughts.

Comparing just the sticks, I prefer the Logitech. First thing that stands out is the base is heavier and wider. I never tipped the Logitech off of any of its feet when I was pulling back hard or anything like that. But I did with the Thrustmaster. Also there are more buttons for your thumb on the Logitech and they are in better positions and they are more satisfyingly clickly. The stick itself is a little smaller in diameter. Which I like. The Thrustmaster fit my hand fine, it was just a different feel. The Logitech takes more force to move the stick which feels good to me right now. However I could see in the middle of a long gaming session I might wish for an easier push.

On to the throttle controls. Obviously the Thrustmaster wins hands-down here. However I found that as I was dogfighting I didn't need the level of control that the Thrustmaster throttle provided. There is a command in the game that will match your speed to your target. Basically like radar enhanced cruise control on new cars. I find that when I target someone it's easiest to trigger that and I can stick to them easily. Beyond that I really only need full throttle and full stop, which I can get with voice command or a quick double tap of W or S. There are a lot of buttons on the throttle which is nice, but there's a lot of buttons on my keyboard too.

Basically if you're not going to get something with toggle switches and double thruster control like the "Mad Catz Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S." or the "Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick" (and there may never be a reason to) then save $15 and go with the Logitech you'll be happy.
review image
on June 18, 2006
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
EDIT (4/3/2013) - The review below was written SEVEN years ago and is likely not applicable today! Back then, I was a college student for whom this joystick was an extravagant purchase for his slow Windows XP laptop. I was also admittedly immature at the time, as I now shudder when reading the last line of my review today.

Anyway, my point is that the review below was applicable back in 2006 and likely does not apply today. I can't confirm for myself that the issue has been resolved, since I stopped gaming years ago and I don't have this stick any longer. But as you can see in the comments, it looks like you have nothing to fear in buying this stick today and attempting to calibrate it.

I'm frankly surprised that Logitech still sells this joystick model. I guess it shows you how popular this model has become. Now if only they still continued to sell the MX series of mice.

I've used this joystick for about a year now. Originally, the joystick worked perfectly with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. But after about 9 months of moderate use (4-6 hours/wk), the joystick began to lose its calibration, especially in the twist portion. Having owned 3 joysticks previously, I was expecting this to occur because of typical fatigue on the spring. What I did not expect was that Logitech does not provide any software to calibrate the joystick, which is necessary to compensate for the inaccuracies caused by the fatigued spring. I tried to search online for any calibration utility, but to no luck. I don't know; maybe Logitech does have calibration software associated with the stick and I just missed it. But at this point, the stick has becoming annoyingly unaccurate that I'm almost ready to purchase a new stick...and I'll make sure ahead of time that it can be calibrated.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 6, 2004
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
It doesn't take long before it becomes uncalibrated. Uninstalling and installing it will correct it for a while, then it fails. Mine won't move but 67% to the right. It's a total waste of money!!!!
on December 2, 2006
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
Read the other reviews also. Enough of them say that this product will have problems with calibration that you should probably believe them. It's fine for a while, but I have only used mine lightly and I take care of my equipment -- no drops -- but it still will not fly a plane straight and level. It used to. Save your money for something that works for more than a few months. I'll admit that I have never been a fan of Logitech stuff; this is why.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...