Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

Color: GreyChange

on November 2, 2013
Originally, I wanted the Apple Smart case since that's what I used previously on my iPad and I liked it a lot, but couldn't find it anywhere. Instead, I found this case, bought it just to use in the mean time while I get the Apple case, BUT, I am surprisingly shocked how much I like this case. The feel of it in your hand is really comfortable, it looks extremely nice and doesn't cover up any ports, so it keeps the sexiness of the iPad. At the same time, there is a 0.5-1mm border around the case so that if you do drop it, the sides are going to hit the case, not the iPad (excellent!). Additionally, the extra border actually ENHANCES the sound because the 1 mm border acts as a surface to bounce the sound towards you! Really neat! I love this case, plus it's cheaper than the Apple case I was going to buy!
55 comments63 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2013
The Logitech Folio Protective Case is a beautiful, well built case with a minimalist, modern design matching the iPad Air perfectly.

Build/Protection:
Materials used in this case are of excellent quality and the case feels sturdy. The outside is made of a hard woven textured material. Not exactly sure what it is, but it looks and feels classy. The front and back of the iPad feel well protected. The sides, although not covered by the case (its a folio style case as the name suggests), also feel well protected due to the case sticking out further than the actual iPad (refer to image gallery). It was nice to see the power button covered up since I've had an iDevice in the past where that button gave out and was expensive to fix. The other buttons and ports, although not covered, are accessible. Overall, as far as the build quality and design are concerned, this case is top notch.

(Note: This review is for the black case. All cases have the same material on the outside except for the purple one (soft touch material outside).

Functionality:

Viewing Modes/Angles:
Landscape:
This case is meant for using your iPad primarily in landscape orientation. When in this mode, you can adjust the viewing angle from anywhere between 90 to 45/50 degrees. Thankfully, you are not stuck with grooves on the case which give you a predefined angle to view your iPad in. In fact, I don't think there is a better case out there, for viewing your iPad in landscape orientation, than this Logitech Protective Folio.
Portrait:
The only way to view your iPad in portrait orientation is to fold the case back completely and hold it in your hand since laying it flat would result in the iPad raised a little on the side the case folds. Not exactly ideal! Laying the case flat, as mentioned above, in landscape mode will result in that raised edge being on top, a little better but more on that later. Also, when you hold the case in your hand in portrait mode while laying down or at a similar angle, one end of the iPad will tend to move towards you, so you will have to hold it down. Simply put, the case is NOT comfortable for viewing your iPad in portrait mode.
Typing:
Unfortunately, for those who type a lot, the case offers absolutely NO typing angle whatsoever. Logitech does claim that the case holds the iPad at the right angle for typing (among other things). I have used this case for over a week now and have yet to find that typing angle. When used in portrait or landscape mode the angle is either too extreme or just not raised enough to type comfortably. Bottom line, if you type a lot on your iPad, this case in NOT for you.

Auto Wake/Sleep:
It seems like 6 small magnets in the flap hold the case shut and automatically wake/sleep the iPad. This is one my favorite features and one that sadly a lot of other manufacturers are omitting. Although a clasp in addition to the magnets might have held the case shut more securely, it would take away from the modern, minimalist design.

The only problem with the auto wake/sleep is that, when closed, if the flap containing the magnets is moved a certain way, you will hear the clicking sound the iPad makes when it sleeps. It seems to me that if those magnets move a certain way with the case closed, they end up waking the iPad and then putting it back to sleep once they return to their original position, hence the clicking sound. Not a deal breaker but a little annoying.

In conclusion, this Logitech case leans just a bit more towards design than functionality. But in an industry filled with fake leather and cheap plastics this "Logitech FOLIO PROTECTIVE CASE" is like a breath of fresh Air!
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2014
I tried several cases as I am extremely picky and I finally chose this one! It was perfect until about a week ago when a rubber piece came off of the plastic part that allows it to stick in a landscape position without those predefined ridges (one of my favorite features about it!). Now I don't know what to do with it! I bought it just after Christmas so I probably cannot exchange it at this point. I'm a full time graduate student and I work full time and I use my iPad all the time. So bummed. :(
33 comments8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2013
This is a well-constructed case, but for $50 I was looking for something more than just a stand. It does a great job of holding the iPad for viewing at angles from about 45 to 90 degrees, and you can fold the cover back to almost flat. What it lacks is a comfortable angle for typing, or a way to keep the cover securely closed while in a backpack. The Belkin Formfit case looks like it has both of those features for $10 less, so I'm going to give it a look when it is released.

Pros: Nice materials and construction, secure fit, lightweight
Cons: No clasp to secure closure (it uses magnets), can't fold to a comfortable angle for typing.
66 comments23 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2013
I purchased this case in red at the Apple store (though mine has a grey interior unlike the blue shown in the pictures). I went to the Apple store intending to buy their smart case. I did not like that when holding it in your hand (such as on the couch relaxing), the Apple smart case's back hung and flapped around. The tech actually suggested Velcro!

The only other case for the iPad Air they had in the Apple store was this one (it is the same model as the one with keyboard, just without the keyboard). I've been very happy with it. I would like if it lay flatter when folded back (a slight annoyance) which is why I deducted one star. I agree with another commenter that this case really shines in landscape mode, but is a bit lacking for portrait mode when holding in hand.

The material is fantastic. It feels like a very tight nylon woven fabric. The clips hold the air firmly inside and I have no fear it will slip. I love the on/off auto function (a bonus I found when I got home). The stand works very nicely when sitting in my lap lounging on my couch (another unexpected feature). The other cases with folding covers that make the stand won't sit nicely in your lap (they're made for a flat surface). Since this case still has the entire cover to sit on, it can sit nicely on a chair, my lap, or even my cat in my lap.

I'm surprisingly happy with this case. I vastly prefer it to the "leather" Apple smart case (which was my original intention to buy). It looks better too!
on November 4, 2013
I love this case! The sleep/wake function works perfect as well as the multiple viewing angles. The case is very slim and my iPad feels very secure. I do wish they made this in leather, however the material seems very high quality and looks professional. I've tried a couple of cases for the new iPad Air, and this by far is my favorite.
on June 22, 2014
Really nice case for the price. I like it it's very speak and when it's set as a stand it works great. So much better then the trifold ones. One thing about the gray case is that it's a lighter case so it ca easily get dirty. Have considered purchasing a different color but I love the contrast with blue
on November 1, 2014
Thought this case was great at first but the rubber strip that holds the stand up fell off and the case cracked and broke by the on/off strip. It has a 2 year warranty so I submitted a claim on logitechs webpage which is very difficult to do. They never responded to my claim.
on February 9, 2014
Expensive but worth every penny! Thoughtfully designed. Had already purchased a Logitech keyboard with my iPad air and was having a hard time finding a protective case that would work in conjunction with both. This case works perfect.
on December 9, 2013
The point of the iPad Air is its lightness vs. the competition. This folio cover gives good protection, front and back, while only adding a few ounces to the overall weight.

Pros:
Super light
Excellent fit and finish
Flexible config options
Auto-sleep on close of cover

Cons:
Cut out for auto-rotate button needs to be enlarged (can't access button easily).

Cut out "door" for power button is too stiff, causes hit and miss on press (needs to be thinner to make more flexible).

No cut out for charge port (protruding folio edge makes it difficult to insert charge cable).

Bottom clamp corners are sharp right angles, they dig into your thumb when holding one handed in landscape mode (need to radius corners).

Outer fabric surface has texture but is still slippery (need to apply some kind of treatment to make tacky).

Very pricey (should sell at around $30-$40 max).

For Logitech if you are listening: These "Cons" are easy fixes. If done, this product would be a 5 star.

Do it yourself (all with folio in vice, use light cardboard to protect finish from clamp):
1) Used Dremel tool to relieve cutout near the rotate-lock button.
2) Used Dremel again to radius the corners of the bottom clamp.
3) Used wire cutters to notch the side at the charge port and cleaned it up with Dremel.
4) Used pipe lighter fire jet to tidy up frayed edges in affected areas.
Crude but effective. Looking forward to Folio Version 2 from Logitech.