on November 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let me start off by saying I am a HUGE fan of Logitech keyboards and mice. I've used many input devices over the years but I keep coming back to Logitech for a reason: They make good products. That said, I'm not as impressed as I should be with the Logitech G105 Call of Duty MW3 Edition.

Before I get into my complaints, let's start with what I like. I like the keyboard LED backlighting which helps make the keyboard visible in a dark room (the typical environment when gaming "seriously" with MW3). I also like the narrow depth of the keyboard from front to back ... this not only takes up less space on my desk than a typical gaming keyboard but it also means the keys are slightly closer together making rapid key strokes easy during a game. I also like having the "WASD" keys a different color because it's easy to glance down at the keyboard and quickly bring my fingers back to the "home" keys for character movement in the middle of a game. I'm also happy that this backlit gaming keyboard only uses one USB cord; some gaming keyboards use two USB ports and I don't like taking up ports unless I have to.

Now for the problems.

Although the keyboard backlight is cool and in keeping with the theme of MW3, Logitech should have made it possible to change the color of the LEDs using the Logitech software. The matching Logitech M9X MW3 mouse has customizable LEDs that you can change to other colors, so why not let people change the LED color on the keyboard? Likewise, I don't think the maximum brightness setting is bright enough for the backlight. There needs to be one higher setting. My final complaint about the backlight is that the media shortcut keys (volume control) aren't backlit despite the fact that they look backlit on the box. This makes it impossible to see which FN key is responsible for mute, volume up or volume down when the room lights are off.

The keyboard keys themselves feel perfect with just the right about of throw (depth of movement) when pressed, but several of the keys make a loud SQUEAKING sound when pressed ... generally a sign of cheap plastics used in the scissor mechanism under the key. My space bar, M key and F key all make a sharp squeak when pressed. If the squeaking noise doesn't go away after a few days of "break in" use then I'll have to stop using this keyboard because the squeaks are driving me crazy.

My only remaining complaint about the G105 is the lack of a wrist rest. If you look on the back side of the keyboard you'll notice two connection tabs at the front edge of the keyboard where a wrist rest is supposed to be connected. I own two other Logitech keyboards with detachable wrist rests so I immediately recognized what these tabs were designed for, but Logitech doesn't include a wrist rest with this keyboard and Logitech doesn't offer a wrist rest as an optional accessory. I guess Logitech got rid of the wrist rest to bring down the price of the keyboard.

I probably would have overlooked most of the problems I mentioned if this keyboard was priced below $50. Overall, the Logitech G105 MW3 Edition is a good gaming keyboard with a number of minor quirks. As long as the squeaky key problem goes away I'd probably recommend this keyboard as long as you can find it on sale.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This keyboard has a high "cool factor" and my middle son, who plays a lot of games love it. He is not too much into Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 but he plays a lot of other games and the special features of the keyboard comes in handy for other things as well. For example, I've used one macro keys to program ctrl-alt-del to launch the task manager, and I've used the macro keys to quickly insert often used words and word combinations when writing documents.

The keyboard has a numerical keypad, which I use to quickly type certain extended ascii characters (writing in a foreign language), and it has many useful specialty keys. The keyboard also has a game/desktop mode switch, which disables the windows/context menu keys, and you can use the F-keys keys for volume, mute, start, stop, pause, play, pause, rewind, etc. However, I've seen keyboards with specialty keys for these things as well as a dial for the volume, so I would say that this keyboard is OK in this regard but not great.

The keyboard has six programmable G-keys (G1 to G6), which functionality can be toggled using M-keys (M1 to M3) giving you in total 18 unique functions. You press the macro record key MR to then the macro key, your sequence, and then MR again. To be able to use the macro keys you need to download the software. One complaint I have is that the web site given does not take you straight to where you download and the web site given inside the quick guide is not even correct. So you will need to do a little bit of browsing on the Logitech website. It is not a big deal; it took 20 seconds, but still.

What gives this keyboard a high cool factor is the fact that keys are backlit (green LED backlighting). The LED backlighting has three discrete levels and you cannot change the color, which is not as cool as some other keyboards. However, most keyboards I own do not have any backlighting.

I think the keyboard is fairly comfortable. The keys are not flat, easy to locate and has a comfortable feel when you press them. It is much better than the flat and dull feeling the keys have on some keyboards. The keyboard is mostly quiet but perhaps not as quiet as one might want.

This keyboard is not wireless, which I don't see as a disadvantage. Wireless keyboards needs batteries and I've noticed delays with wireless keyboards that I don't see with this USB wired keyboard. A wireless mouse is more useful since you move the mouse around a lot but keyboards are mostly static.

Overall I am pretty happy with this keyboard and my son who uses it the most likes it as well. It is not a perfect gaming keyboard but I think it is decent.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Rarely have I found a device marketed towards gamers that actually performs in a manner that is effective for gaming, but Logitech's G105 Call of Duty MW3 keyboard works well both during games and outside of the gaming sphere.

Often a manufacturer uses a trendy logo, a fancy color scheme or flashy lighting without actually considering the function of their device with respect to gaming. In a keyboard, things like key response and feedback, ease of editing for programmable buttons, and the design of the keyboard itself all play into its suitability as a gaming keyboard.

The G105's response and feedback are excellent. I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port on an Alienware laptop and I found that the keyboard was able to transfer my wishes in a game into reality without any delay. The keys are very springy without any sign of the "mushiness" I see in some modern keyboards. While this keyboard is not a metal-springed IBM monstrosity, it still feels good under my fingers.

The programmable buttons are a big change for me. I have never been a big fan of MMOs and similar games that promote the use of macros, so until now I have never found a use for keys such as these. After playing around with this keyboard, though, I have discovered there is much more to programmable keys than just macros. I was able to map these keys in Windows to open various programs or folders with a single keystroke. I was also able to program various multiple-key combinations to activate with a single key. In gaming, being able to program weapon changes and armor load outs on the fly helps streamline the gaming experience and leads to an improved, smoother session.

As for the design of the keyboard itself, I have a couple of specific points that really impressed me. First, the location of the programmable keys is optimal for anyone accustomed to playing a first-person shooter or MMO using the WASD key configuration. The keys are just to the left of the left edge of the normal keys, within reasonably easy reach for someone with hands as small as mine are (and I have somewhat small hands). The keyboard "prop-up" tabs on the bottom are ideally placed as well, as anyone who has a keyboard with the tabs aligned vertically can attest when pulling the keyboard towards them. In a vertical alignment, a pull towards the user can make the keyboard collapse, but in a horizontal configuration such as the G105, that problem is a thing of the past. Finally, a quick mention about the lights: they are perfect. The lighting is not only even across the entire keyboard, but the 3 different lighting levels (dim, bright, and off) allows for perfect viewing in any sort of room without ever being a distraction.

For the casual or hard core gamer, I think Logitech got the gaming keyboard concept right and this keyboard would be a welcome addition to any gaming rig. For the non-gamer, this keyboard offers some handy features, but I could just as easily suggest a cheaper model with fewer extraneous bells and whistles.

Enjoy!
on July 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
I guess I didn't realize that the standard keyboards that accompany pc's are not the best. This became apparent after my Gateway keyboard stopped working. While looking for a replacement, I decided to go with a backlit gaming keyboard.

During my research of keyboards, I read that many felt that the Microsoft and Logitech keyboards were well made. How convenient!

I found both the Microsoft Reclusa, and a Logitech CoD G105 keyboard on sale, so I purchased both. [I'm using this review for both products].

I use the Microsoft Reclusa at work, and the Logitech at home. I like both keyboards.

I first ordered the Microsoft, and liked it so much, I purchased the Logitech cause I wanted a different backlit color, and I wanted to try something different. I used the Microsoft keyboard at home initially, but once I received the Logitech, I took the Microsoft keyboard to work and replaced my HP keyboard.

Both keyboards work and feel great. Both the Microsoft, and Logitech keyboards appear to be better quality than the Gateway and HP standard keyboards. It appears that my typing accuracy is improved.

The Reclusa feels better than the G105, but I believe I like the design of the G105 better.

The reason I'm giving the Reclusa 4 stars is because the palm rest attachment broke. The attachments used to connect the palm rest to the keyboard broke.

As a result, If I had to choose one based on quality, I would say the G105 is better quality. However, the Logitech did not come with a palm rest.

Moreover, I'm giving the G105 a 4 star rating as well because the keys don't feel as fluid as the Reclusa.

Nevertheless, both are good keyboards, and I suspect each will function as designed for a long time.
on January 11, 2013
For those who dont care that it has an old games emblem on it, this keyboard is the one. I dont think you can get a gaming quality keyboard from logitech for this price. Take advantage of the outdated logo price drop!
on June 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
Great keyboard, but the font throws me off and slows me down sometimes. Just think about the font before you buy. It is MW3 font, but the letters are much smaller than a usual keyboard. The lights are amazing though!
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son loves this keyboard. His favorite feature is the night vision feature. All the keyboard keys light up at night when he plays the most. For me, I love how quiet the keyboard sounds when he is typing on the keys. The keys are soft and responsive, the board is easy to plug in, it has a gaming mode so you can toggle the windows function key on and off. Easy to set up macro system, does not require special drivers.
on March 23, 2012
G105 is a gaming keyboard with LED backlight . Im using it for a few days now , and thought I'd share my experience .

Its a well built , quality keyboard , heavy enough to keep where you want it and not slide back , key depth is ideal . I like the fact that this not the usual huge gaming keyboard , dimentions are normal . LED backlight can be usefull at times , but not a big factor for me .

The only problem for me is the placement of the G keys (the macro keys) . I kept pushing G1 instead of ESC , and G6 instead of control (something that cost me a lot of time since G6 default function is back when browsing , since instead of CTRL-C when trying to copy - paste stuff , I pressed G6 and lost everything I wrote at forums etc...) , and that becomes annoying fast . I use the keyboard now with these keys removed , and I dont miss them ....

Also , very small problem , backspace was a bit stiff and sticky when I first started using the keyboard , but after a week of use its ok . I almost RMAed it for that , but thought it might come around with a little use and I was right about that .

Taking all this into account , I think this keyboard should be at a lower price point . I am not sorry for trusting Logitech and consider this a good buy .
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I use this keyboard on my playstation 3 with something called the eagle eye converter. It is very sturdy endurable, it has light up keys, and of course the call of duty logo. I highly recommend this product
on March 16, 2013
Verified Purchase
I love keyboards, I have many. At $28 this keyboard is an insane deal. The back lit keys are great for gaming, what really gets me to rate it at a 5-star though, is what happens when I start writing an email on this thing. The click of the keys is just great. I am sure there are better keyboards on planet earth, I have to believe that (keep the hope alive).

Now, for the thirty dollar range though. Wow to the wow. I've been slumming for no reason. MW3 edition wise, I can say that I believe this is well worth the juvenile logos on your keyboard. I was a little offended by the look of it from the pictures but actually looks just fine and just fun. I got the the COD MW3 logitech mouse and that is just as great and again a great way of getting a great deal on better hardware than their prices would suggest. Also, the fact that they match... it helps cosmetically. Like, they look like a set and it really helps the look quite a bit. The green lights from the mouse match the green of the keys. I wasn't too excited about getting green back lighting but now that I have it, I wouldn't change it. Goes great with games, doesn't look hostile like red does. So I'm pretty much a big fan.

My only hesitation is that in writing this positive review for this product I'm sure is unfairly priced low due to clearance, I'm going to help it sell out and then I won't be able to buy more of them. I'm tempted to buy spares, of both the keyboard and the mouse. If the price were any lower it would actually cost me a whole lot because I'd buy so many of them. The reflection from the monitor reflects on the keys enough that the gray WASD keys actually stand out just great.

Overall, just great. Has obvious shortcomings, like a detachable palm rest would be sweet possibly (although I love the small footprint). USB hub functionality would be nice. And last but not least: there should absolutely be dedicated (small) media keys. There's just no doubt in my mind that there's plenty of real estate above the F-keys to where a few general use keys would have been sweet (volume up, volume down, mute).

There's a soft-touch feel to the keys, feels just great. Hope it lasts. Also the mouse, get the mouse. Whole computer just feels fancier. Good luck.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations