on June 30, 2012
First off, if you are used to using a large mouse with your palm lying flat against the top (palm grip), look elsewhere. However, if you instead hold the mouse with your fingertips and just the base of your palm touching the mouse (claw/finger grip) - or you just plain have small hands - this mouse is definitely worth considering.

Others have mentioned that the extra buttons are hard to hit while using the left and right clicks. I do not find this to be the case; I simply roll my finger toward the extra buttons while holding down the left or right click, and they depress with very little pressure or overall aggregate movement.

The biggest issue I've had with this mouse is that it does NOT work out of the box with Linux. In fact, Logitech refuses to support the device at all. However, if you search the internet for 'g300 linux', there's a post on tria.net with a simple bash script that will allow you to use the mouse with the extra buttons enabled, though you still have to configure the profiles in windows.

I've configured mine with 3 profiles
RED: Windows - uses the windows software to detect which program/game is running and selects a different profile for each
BLUE: Linux - a general usage profile for my linux partition
WHITE: Precision - a profile with much lower speed/acceleration settings for image editing and other precise tasks

Pros:
Nice size for claw grippers
Comfortable
Reasonably priced
3 profiles
Ambidextrous

Cons:
Linux use requires bash scripting (easy, but annoying)
VERY light (though this could be a pro for you)
DPI on sensor could be a bit higher
Build quality is questionable (though acceptable for the price)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Logitech has some other higher grade gaming mouses like with the Logitech G9X Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with Precision Grips and the Logitech MX 518 High Performance Optical Gaming Mouse (Metal). But those are in the $50 - $70 range. At the $30- $40 range, I think this Logitech G300 gaming mouse is perfect for entry-level gamers, persons looking for more control and customization, and casual gamers.

FEATURES

* 2500 DPI - more than enough for casual gamers and person looking to get into gaming. If you're looking for fast twitch, very reflexive movement, you may want to consider the Logitech G9X Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with Precision Grips
* 9 Customizable controls - two buttons on the left and right edge of the mouse, scroll button, two buttons below the scroll, and of course the left and right mouse click.
* Up to 3 stored modes - this is invaluable, especially for organization. Say you want a normal computing mode, gaming mode, etc.
* Logitech software detects games and let's you customize accordingly. You can customize the controls according to a specific game. You're not just customizing keystrokes, but also combinations and commands. Customization has a lot of depth.
* Symmetrical design - let's both left and right handers use this mouse.

DESIGN - I love the G300's design! It feels comfortable, the buttons (left, right, and buttons) feel easy, and provides good support for your wrist and fingers. There's some cushion on the side of the mouse, which is another plus. The side of the mouse also has customizable colors in which indicates a specific mode. Very cool.

INSTALLATION

Easy, flawless, and simple. Without the logitech software, you're still able to use it and change the DPI on the fly. With the logitech software, you can customize the controls and store up to 3 profiles in the mouse. I like that you can make the light whatever color you want it to be. The software can be easily found on Logitech's website.

GAMING EXPERIENCE

Thus far, I've felt more confident with this mouse. It's no savior, but definitely improves the feel of gaming. Aiming and moving feels smooth, left to right, up down, etc. Fluid and consistent is how I would describe it. Games I've played so far have been smoother like with Counter-Strike: Source,Left 4 Dead 2, and Mass Effect 2. At 2500 max DPI, you should be able to move across and around the screen fairly quickly.

COMPUTING EXPERIENCE

Doing tasks like Microsoft office, video editing, surfing the net, buying Amazon products (bad joke), and other computer tasks feel smoother. The customizable buttons gives me more options, like making one of the buttons a common keystroke combo like "undo." Instead of holding down ctrl + z, I can click one button on the mouse.

MINOR NUANCES
- The wire is a little bit long. It's not such a big deal, as I just tie the wire.
- It is a little small for a gaming mouse, but it's not really that bad. I've posted a picture for comparisons (which you can view in this mouse's image gallery). It's not such a big concern, but potentially can be for persons with bigger hands. Consider going to your local electronics store to try out this mouse.

BOTTOM LINE: If you're looking for a solid inexpensive mouse to get into gaming, I recommend this mouse. It's great for better control for computer tasks, surfing, small games, and casual gaming.
review image review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My main mouse is the Logitech G9 Laser Mouse (which I'm rather pleased with), and I've used many of the Razor products by way of my brother, but I'm generally always on the market for an upgrade or a replacement mouse for my other computers. Generally I don't ask for too much from a mouse, just something that feels good and has a logical button layout, and to that end the G300 has been a strong contender for my favor.

The sides are rubberized and you can get a good idea of the shape and hand feel from the picture but it's hard to go out on a limb and tell everybody reading it this is going to be the mouse they need for comfort. I personally found the grip to be nearly ideal for my hand and the rubber is placed in such a way to provide great grip even after extended use. The surface contours also do well to keep you fingers in a sort of groove down either click. It's a little too light for my tastes and unfortunately doesn't have weight tuning like you'll find in higher end gaming mice which probably goes without saying. The mouse is symmetrical, and therefore I assume ambidextrous, which can at times make for somewhat uncomfortable positioning of my pinky and ring finger but it's not too bad. All things considered on the topic of comfort it's a pretty good mouse with small points for improvement here and there.

Given the ambidextrous design, I think there is going to be a love/hate relationship with the button layout as far as gaming is concerned. I tend to mouse with a flat hand versus I high arched 'claw' style so the surface buttons I find to be a little to close together on my thumb side and entirely awkward on the far side of the mouse. Additionally the two buttons behind the scroll wheel also feel too far back on the mouse to reach without having to remove your finger from a position which utilized another button. They certainly read like minor gripes, and they are, but the bread and butter of gaming peripherals is all about streamlining your play-style and making what you do easier and while this mouse is definitely better than a 'standard' mouse, it's a little lacking compared to its higher end alternatives.

So at this juncture I decided the G300 wasn't the gaming mouse for me, it simply wasn't going to best the G9. Fortunately I had grown quite annoyed by my standard work mouse and decided to bring the G300 in and use it for productivity (which is one of the included default profiles). To that end it works great. The layout feels less alien when I don't need to do 4 different things immediately.

All things considered I think the G300 is a pretty impressive mouse at ~$35. There are some things it could do better and it may ultimately be a hard sell since it's neither a truly great gaming mouse nor a truly cheap mouse but it's still worth considering at the end of the day.

Pros:
Reasonably comfortable
Affordable
Easy to use
Seems well-constructed
Moderately customizable

Cons:
Somewhat awkward layout
Good for righties and lefties, great for neither
on October 23, 2011
I've been using Logitech G3 for the longest time and so I had to try this mouse out to see if it can be a replacement/upgrade. I was excited to see this mouse come out! Until...

After using it for over 3 weeks, I returned it primarily because Logitech G3 is still more comfortable with it's egg shape because it fills out a user's grip better than the "curve-in" design on the two sides of Logitech G300. I have small hands which is why I've always prefer G3, using a mix of claw-palm grip, over the "ergonomically-shaped" mouse. With G300, I feel that a user can only claw grip it. I cannot use it for long without being too conscious about it.

Some other minor cons:
- the buttons are not too easily reached
- even lighter than the G3, making it a bit too light
- wire feels flimsy
- another software to install to configure the mouse (instead of having an update to existing Logitech "mouse and keyboard" program)

I suppose cannot say the cons without some pros
- of course, good sensor
- plenty of buttons to configure macros/shortcuts
- smooth scroll whell, yet still with distinct click (if only I can take this and put into G3...)
- nice materials on the "curved-in" surface area
- cool LED light... if you like LED light

My quest for a good ambidextrous mouse continues... hopefully my G3 won't break any time soon. I always wish Logitech would just remake Logitech G3 with its original shape.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2014
Buttons are apparently rated for 10 million clicks according to Logitech.I'd be surprised if any lasted 1/10th of that.My left mouse button started double clicking on single clicks after around 7 months after purchase - this was a hardware issue not a software issue.I'm torn on the mouse as apart from the switch durability issue it is the perfect mouse for me.Comfort, button placement and price were all great.As it stands i can only give it 3/5.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2013
I will start off by saying, I am a Logitech fanboy when it comes to peripheral products. Have owned a slew of their mice with my current one being the VX Nano (amazing mouse). So when I started shopping for a new mouse of course I scoured the market, from the simple to the ultra-button clad MMO mice.

I play a range of games, MMOs, RTSs, and FPSs. So finding a mouse to cater to all of these was my intention. I have had my share of cordless mice, and was interested in going back to a corded mouse, no more battery scrambling mid-game. Obviously I needed a mouse that had some additional programmable buttons, but the ones with 6-15 thumb buttons seemed too much. I recently purchased Logitech's G13 gameboard, so I didn't need all of my game hotkeys on my mouse. I also wanted to find one that was a little easier on the wallet.

Here is what attracted me to this mouse:
1)Symmetric design, I'm not a palm grip player
2)Rubber grips on the side, one of my favorite features on the VX Nano
3)Extra buttons placed on top of the mouse rather than the side, fits my claw grip style. Also after receiving the mouse I noticed the tactile response on the top four side buttons is quite nice. There is a click to let you know it has been pressed, but the pressure required is not very high, so they can be pressed in rapid succession effortlessly.
4)LEDs were a cool touch, plus the colors of which you can assign alert you to the current selected profile.
5)Price was unbeatable. Logitech put an optical sensor in this mouse rather than a laser. I can not tell the difference. My last gaming mouse was the G7. I have the razer kabuto mouse pad and it tracks flawlessly. 2500 dpi is more than enough for my style, in fact I'm usually using less than 1500.

Here are some other comments on the mouse:
1)The mouse is rather light. If you like a heavy mouse or one that can be weight adjusted, this may not be the mouse for you.
2)Others have commented that this mouse caters to the "claw-grippers". As one myself this was something I took in mind with my selection. If you like large mice to palm, this may not be the mouse for you. It is slightly bigger than the VX Nano, but not by much.
3)When using the scroll wheel, you may experience some finger rub. This is not a huge deal for me as I have made adjustments to my finger positioning to avoid the occurrence. The wheel is a little recessed, but has a very smooth tactile movement. Great for games that use the wheel for selecting between weapons or as in DayZ where the wheel selects your actions on objects.
4)The software for the mouse is extremely intuitive and straight forward and works exactly as it is purposed; have had zero issues with it.

Final thoughts:
I would recommend this mouse to those that like a compact, light mouse to claw grip and have a few extra programmable buttons. For these purposes it is absolutely perfect. Very comfortable to hold, very sleek and attractive with 9 different LED colors to switch between. Well worth the money. Competes with mice more than twice the price.
on March 24, 2013
this mouse is not only great for videogames! this mouse has made it very easy for even schoolwork! there is a profile for copy and paste, and other things needed for microsoft word. this mouse has made me more productive and has improved my time in school work and videogames
on October 22, 2011
I am so loving this mouse..I am not a gamer in the literal sense, just jewelquest but I do do a lot of moving files around, cut, paste, copy, etc. The features that you can configure on this mouse are the bomb! It has made it so much easier
It is small yet so versatile. It is usb but that just means no batteries and no charging to worry with.
For those of you who are gamers, it has the ability to change profiles so that that is really good for you guys..
I have used a numerous amount of logitech mice, they do have great quality, but thus far this would have to be the absolute best.
I would highly recommend it..
on January 3, 2014
So here is my thing about the logitech G300. I bought it for about a quarter of the price of this value in Hong Kong and for that price I thought it was a steal. But now I am comparing it to a hefty $100 price tag and so my views start to drop to the negative side.

Pro:
1)The clicks are in the range of soft and hard meaning that every time you click it is not silent like some of the higher quality mouses from Razer but offer a satisfying sound that is not so hard that it sounds like a 10 year old mouse
2)The Logitech Gaming profile is extremely helpful especially when changing the profiles or settings of the mouse
3)Its somewhat got a nice curve to it and would be very comfortable if it was a bit bigger.

Cons:
1) Its too small length and width wise and only my 2 fingers actually touch the mouse
2) Its extremely expensive for a mouse and I find that the logitech wireless mx mouse actually beats the G300 in everything by a long shot even though this mouse is $30 more expensive
3) Its not really that comfortable even if my hands were a bit smaller since my pinky would really not be touching the mouse at all
4) It collects sweat if played too long so it really annoys me to clean it up

Honestly I do not recommend buying this mouse at all, with the availability of mice's and the improvement of technology the price of Gaming mouse's have dropped and you could buy one these days at a cheaper and better value.
on March 25, 2014
replaced my stock alien ware mouse with the logitech. this is awesome the dpi selector is amazing the selectable profiles is awesome. it feels so smooth. I don't even use/need a mouse pad for this. its a good size I have largish hands.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations