Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on December 8, 2012
I have been a gamer since the days of Pong so I prefer tactile controls. Having recently picked up a tablet and having read reviews for the Modern Combat series, my search was on for a simple, inexpensive, and on the go controller.

I picked this D pad up along with Second Shells version. Both pads arrived today and I immediately bought Modern Combat 3 and tried out both pads.

Each pad has its merits and downfalls and both pads worked fine and did what they said they would.

The Logitech pad is larger and has larger suction cups (although both pads stuck very well), it has more resistance when moving the D pad button around, and the D pad button re-centers more quickly and accurately than the Second Shells version. The Logitech pad comes with a pouch.

The Second Shells pad is smaller, has less resistance when moving the D pad button, and centers slightly slower than Logitech's version. The Second Shell's version comes with two awesome buttons as well.

Besides the extra pack ins with each pad, the major difference between the pads is the "springs". On the Logitech pad, they are rigid plastic, on the Second Shell's pad they are rubber. It appears that the rigid plastic springs of the Logitech's pad would break more easily but because they are more rigid, they feel more like you are moving an analog stick and they re-center more quickly and accurately than the Second Shells pad.

I think it is best to pick up both brands at the same time, as I did, to get the best of both worlds - 2 D pads for games with dual on screen D pads, two degrees of resistance and re-centering, 2 buttons, and a pouch.

Those that did not give this device a positive review may be trying to use it for games that do not have a circular, analog, type D pad on screen. for example, I have seen some games that have more of a + sign D pad in them and this may not work as well with those types of games.

Now that I am using the both pads, I really can not imagine playing without them and both pads are much better than I ever expected. Each has its own merits.
VINE VOICEon December 5, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After looking at the pictures and reading the description, it did not seem to me that this accessory could be very effective. However, I found it actually worked pretty well most of the time. The design puts the joystick in a clever double-spiral spring that will always return to center if you pick up your thumb. Attached to the joystick/spring are a couple of suction cups which hold it to the surface of your iPad. The entire mechanism is made of plastic, but it does come with a one-year warranty. I do see what may be the beginning of a stress fracture where one of the springs join the frame.

This joystick is only useful with games that have a virtual D-pad as a control. In the iPad universe of games, that is a fairly small percentage. Most of them are shooters, sports or role-playing. Many are ports from other platforms where a D-pad is the norm. Logitech has posted a partial list of compatible games. I've included that list at the end of this review.

I already had a couple of games on the list and was able to try it out as soon as I found the time. I found I liked using the Logitech Joystick for iPad and iPad2 more than just playing on the surface of the iPad. I did not have the problem of my thumb wandering off the control surface and I liked having the tactile feedback of actually moving something to control a character.

It's critical to center the joystick in the virtual D-pad. This may be a problem if the D-pad is too close to the edge of the screen. In at least one game, I had the suction cups at the very edge of the glass; another sixteenth of an inch and they would not have stuck. You can always turn it around and put the suction cups down out on the screen, but I think having them there could be annoying in some games, particularly if the virtual D-pad is close to the action.

To try it with a different kind of game, I downloaded PAC-MAN Lite. I understand now why so many reviews have been critical of the control in that game. I did marginally better using the Logitech Joystick for iPad and iPad2 than just using my thumb, but it was still frustrating to suddenly lose the controller in a game that requires constant quick movement.

I have to admit that I'm not much of a gamer, so it's hard for me to put a value on this device. There are similar, though not as well-designed, iPad joysticks out there for a lot less money. On the other hand, I've generally had good experiences with Logitech products at home and at work. If I played iPad games that use a virtual D-Pad on a regular basis, I'd probably want one of these (I may be playing more; I discovered that Gameloft was running a 99-cent sale the day I was researching compatible games and bought a couple more).

This is the list of know-to-be-compatible games posted by Logitech:

Armored Tank Assault
FIFA 11 by EA SPORTS(tm)
Geometry Wars(tm): Touch
Gun Bros
Iron Man(tm) 2 for iPad
Madden NFL 11 by EA SPORTS(tm)
Marathon
Meteor Blitz
Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus HD
Ms. PAC-MAN(tm)
N.O.V.A.(tm) 2 Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance(tm)
NBA Jam by EA SPORTS(tm)
Super Mega Worm
Ultimate Mortal Kombat(tm) 3
Ultimate Spider-man(tm): Total Mayhem
on December 4, 2013
This item is too big to be used properly with an iPad mini. It DOES work, however it is difficult to mount without obscuring too much of the screen.

Functionality-wise I found it to be OK, but not great. It functioned properly but sometimes stopped begin recognized for a few seconds which leads to negative consequences while gaming sadly.
on December 6, 2015
Another good idea executed poorly. The control was hard to center just above the directional control on the screen. Once centered, the control is not very precise. I used it for PAC-Man, but it was had to control PAC-Man. What you think you want to do did not translate very well to the game.

Skip this one, not worth the price.

PS If you really must try it, just get a cheap used one or borrow one from your gaming friend.
on May 15, 2014
However, I bought this strictly on price and reputation, as I don't normally play action games on my various tablets. It works exactly as described and could probably go for long sessions but because I purchased it at a bargain price it's been easy to just leave it in my gadget bag and not feel guilty at all. It does have the usual "extra" step of engineering design and quality that all Logitech accessories tend to have. (with rare exceptions).
on February 26, 2015
I have a samsung galaxt tab 2. I thought this would work on my large screen. I can't use it because the esge of my tavlet is curved. It would work on a perfectally flat screen. I tried using it with the suctuon cup facing inward. It kept slipping. It just dosn't stick. Not worth buying. After buying three different kinds of stick on buttons and controllers I decided I hate them all. I ended up buying a bluetooth controller at game stop for 25$. It works much better. It's the red and black one, RedSamurai. I think they sell it online here too.
on April 16, 2013
I had high hopes for this product but it fell well short of them. The build is just plastic that feels like it could snap at any second. Also, it is very hit or miss if the game will register your movement or not. I have found it is actually easier to use the virtual game directions than this thing. It was pretty cheap so I thought it would be worth a shot but save yourself the money. It's not worth the hassle.
on August 22, 2013
This fits nicely on any tablet 7 inches or bigger. I am an old school gamer and use to controllers and physical buttons. But when I began hard core tablet gaming the Virtual controls was very difficult to get use to. So I decided to try this for directional controls and it improved my gaming. If you are a hard core tablet gamer this is a must.
on April 24, 2013
my nephew is 8 and he play soccer on the iPad. he uses a digital joystick to control the game and I thought this would be better. It's not, he prefers the digital one. I think mainly because its a hassle to apply it (even though its just two suction cups, its more than just turning the game on) and it doesn't elevate the experience very much.
on September 1, 2015
I ordered a pair to use on my tablet to play games with. One broke in a week and the other broke a few days after that. Not heavy duty enough to take the punishment of being used for an action game. More landfill fodder. I had such high hopes for this product and it worked great until the plastic cracked.