Published on August 24, 2011 by Sheila Chilcote-Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly like it should... but why?
Published 14 months ago by Pak-Kei Mak

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech's Unifying Touch Lapdesk - Great For Travel & Everyday Use!, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Touch Lapdesk N600 with Retractable Multi-Touch Touchpad-939-000356 (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received Logitech's Touch Lapdesk N600 and this product performs as advertised. It actually OVER PERFORMS! The lapdesk has many options such as a unifying receiver, plug and play install, and a great anti-slip surface. Better than those options though is the fact that this product, as well as many other Logitech products is Linux friendly. I have used this lapdesk on a large 17 inch HP and a smaller 15 inch HP and they both fit great even though the description page suggests to keep your laptop under 16 inches for this particular product.

I especially loved the plug and play ease of the touchpad option and the touchpad is super easy to use. You can point, scroll and swipe with ease by using one,two or three fingers on the large, 5 inch touchpad. This lapdesk comes with 4 AAA Duracell batteries and Logitech's website states that you'll only have to change the batteries twice a year. Just remember to pull out the protective battery tab, turn it on and make sure that the tray is COMPLETELY pulled out and opened fully. The green battery light to the left of the touchpad is not meant to stay lit. This is the normal behavior of the N600 Touch Lapdesk.When you fully extend the touchpad, or turn it on, or replace the batteries, the light will come on for a few seconds. This indicates that the battery has enough charge for the device to work. The light will go off again after a few seconds to conserve battery power. You can also customize the N600 touchpad by using Logitech SetPoint software. All of the information is at [...]

I have a soft bottomed lapdesk that I use on the couch or in bed and I have a rolling, wooden adjustable laptop desk in the computer room. I have used this product by itself and on top of both of my other products and it works great. There is a place inside the battery compartment to store the USB and that is a great feature also since I will be using this product for travel.

Happy Computing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful and Comfortable Linux Friendly Pad that Doubles as a Graphics Tablet, July 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am happily reviewing the Logitech Lapdesk N600 and am using it while I am making this review. It is under my Compaq Notebook computer that has a 15 inch screen and it fits very well. The company notes say that it can handle a 16 inch display size notebook computer. It probably could even fit a 17 inch display (depending on the area around the screen). It looks like for my notebook computer that it has two inches to spare. A bigger computer might need hang over the left a little which may affect how the keyboard is centered, but it probably would be okay.

The lap desk does feel very comfortable on my lap. It does seem to have heat shielding and a no skip surface. The computer is not sliding at all and the lapdesk seems to be gently gripping my pants to hold its place. All in all it feels very firm and stable for use.

There is a tiny wireless USB interface that plus into the notebook computer and allows you to use the built in touch pad which slides out the right side (this might be a restriction if you want to use the touch pad with your left hand, the design is right hand use biased). The touch pad that pops out has space to rest your wrist, which is great and is about 3 times the size of the built in touch pad on my notebook (which is a little less than twice as large as the touch pads on the netbooks). One warning, the USB interface was so tiny that I accidentally threw it away in what looked like packaging material. It was a long thin white box that had this tiny USB device embedded in it. I have to retrieve it from the trash, but it was unharmed. The front of the unit is smaller than my thumb nail and about as thick as three quarters stacked on each other. It makes sense to use a wireless interface in order to prevent wire tangle. There is a place inside the battery compartment to store this USB interface while traveling so that you do not lose it.

The unit is plug and play. It does not need any drivers and does not come with any drivers. It seems to have an intelligent chip inside it that translates its functions into conventional mouse signals. This touch pad is great and has two bonuses: One is that it is very Linux friendly. It plugs and plays on Linux. I am using Linux Mint OS 9 right now and it recognized it with no trouble and did not use even one single function. It has a beautiful system for the extra functions. One finger touch it moves around the screen with the ease of a trackball. Two fingers side by side moving up and down and it scrolls up and down. Three fingers side by side moving sideways and it scrolls right and left. I can confirm that all these functions worked on Linux without any loss. The action of the touch pad is very smooth.

The second bonus is the big touch pad size makes behave like a very simple graphics tablet. Although it cannot take input from a stylus. I found I could draw much better than a regular touch pad, mouse, or trackball on the GIMP image editing software (the Linux open source free version of photoshop). I had wanted some kind of graphics pad or graphics superior touch pad, but the WACOM graphics tablet did not work on Linux easily. It seems to require some manual configuration that requires careful reading of the forums (and did not work for me). It seems the newer ones have software that only works on Windows or Mac. But this Logitech Linux friendly extra large touch pad worked great for drawing on GIMP and I am happy with it. The extra size gives me the extra control I need to draw better and the input is received through the conventional mouse driver and so it is very Linux friendly to use! This is a big hidden feature that was not in the company write up about their own product (the little booklet that came with the product). I think the reason why they do not share this function is because it is not quite a graphics tablet, since it cannot use a stylus. But it serves a need that I have had for something like a graphics tablet and gives me a little more control for artistic purposes over the usual touch pad, mouse, or trackball (though I am getting better with a trackball, too, this touch pad is even better).

The other buttons also seem to work on Linux, like the volume control ones and the "home" button to return back to the browser start page. At of them convenient to have.

The sliding in and out of the touch pad is useful, though I find I am just keeping it out and will only slide it back in after I am done. It mainly means to me that it is protected when I travel and it takes up less space.

It runs on 4 AAA batteries. I am not sure how long they last. I tried to find how long in the manual but was not successful. I think that they would last a long time, because I do not see anything that would drain too much power. I might update later on if I find out. But I have three logitech wireless mice and two have yet to run out of power even once (in years), except the oldest one which needed replacement over six months of heavy daily use. I would expect a long life span on these 4 AAA batteries.

The lap desk seems to allow for good venting of this computer and also feels like a minor EM shield for my lap. I do not have measurements to back this up though, but I like having something between my computer and my lap to be an EM radiation filter. We probably do not need much here and this feels like enough for me.

All in all, the lapdesk does fulfill its function perfectly. The wide touch pad functions like a finger friendly simple graphics tablet which is a big bonus, especially on Linux where a lot of graphics tablets do not work easily. The unit is very Linux friendly and deserves a 5 star rating for this.

Logitech BTW has scored very high on being Linux friendly and every Logitech product I have gotten so far, whether through the review program or by me just being a customer has worked on Linux so far for me. I think this is about the 10th product of theirs that has been Linux friendly. Other mouse pointer control devices have sometimes lost a function, like scrolling or the ability to assign a function to some buttons. This has not lost a single function. Even the extras like volume control, mute, and home page work fine...

3.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly like it should... but why?, October 8, 2013
The Logitech Touch Lapdesk is made of durable material and it does not flex easily which makes for a solid temporary table top for a laptop. It allows the separation of a hot laptop from the user's lap, and helps cool it down over time on its rubber surface. The touchpad works pretty well, despite occasional inability to restore connection, with the Unifying receiver.

In terms of features, it's perfect, however, the buck stops here.

When equipped with a heavy laptop from a few years ago, which weighs 5 lbs, the additional weight of the Lapdesk gives a total of more than 7 lbs on your lap. The comfort of the soft surface very quickly turned into blood-vessel-cinching discomfort, and the Lapdesk as a result stayed dormant and abandoned next to the couch for the next month or so until we rediscovered it.

It also does not make sense for light devices such as ultraportables and tablets. These new devices are light and cool in terms of temperature, and the problems the Lapdesk sought to mitigate do not apply to them, but instead added additional weight and bulk to them.

The Lapdesk also does not work well ergonomically. Since the touchpad slides out on the right, it leaves the users two choice, neither of which optimal:

A) In order to keep the center of weight spread evenly across the lap, the touchpad will jut out cantilevered on the right. When the right hand rests upon the touchpad, the weight becomes unevenly spread, which is uncomfortable, and as a result, the use of the touchpad is being avoided.

B) In order to keep the weight balanced with the touchpad, the laptop is placed off-centered to the left, which is not optimal for viewing the screen. Also, the center of weight is permanently shifted to the left lap, which makes it more exhausted more quickly.

Therefore, I would not recommend the Logitech Touch Lapdesk. If you have a newer laptop that does not require much cooling, a cushion will suffice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, even with Mac., June 21, 2012
Adam Roberts (San Carlos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Downside is no customizability with Mac (which I knew ahead of time) - wish I could speed up tracking (default is too slow for me) - perfectly possible on a Windows machine but I've been unable to do so on Mac...

Otherwise, exactly as expected and very much worth it - my 15 Inch Mac Book Pro fits perfectly an only gets moderately hot when running a slew of intensive things such as Diablo 3...

5.0 out of 5 stars Really just needed a Lapdesk, all the rest was a great bonus!, November 9, 2013
E. Mar (Redwood Shores, CA) - See all my reviews
I normally use a trackball, so i was actually just looking for a lapdesk with a pull out tray. I first opted for the Logitech N315. It came damaged and I couldn't exchange it, so I just returned it. Just as well. Didn't like it very much. Just didn't seem sturdy enough. But, enough of that. this is a review for the N600. When I saw the N600, I thought for just a little more, having a nice touchpad with a few other features like volume + and - with mute and home page for the browser would be worth a try. Even if the other features didn't work well.

I was pleasantly surprise with this. I'm using this with my Lenovo W510 (which has a touchpad and little eraser tip mouse). The Logitech Touchpad works much better. I also have a MacBook Pro and I've been looking for a similar touchpad. I actually tried the external apple touch pad with my W510 (which was supposed to work on Win7 but I couldn't get it to work).

I like the 2 finger scroll, and 3 finger swipe, and 1 finger move the mouse (and mouse click). Wish it had the 1 finger double tap to lock and scroll/select. And a 2 finger tap for the right mouse click. The right and left mouse works well. I find all the ergonomics are good and weighting of everything works well. Set up was very easy. Just like it says...just plug in the USB plug, pull out the tray, switch it on...and away you go. There's software to download to customize.

*Home button to open web page, launch program, application switcher, document flip, keystroke assignment, or other (lots of options, so I won't list them).
*Scrolling
*Pointer speed
*Game detection
*Touchpad setting to turn off the 1, 2, 3 finger options.
*Battery Notification

After you open the software, it sits in the task tray. Haven't had it long, so I don't know how long the battery in the pad lasts.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this. I could see getting alot of use out of this as just a lapdesk, or with the touchpad, or with my trackball if I like (turning off the touchpad), or just as a lapdesk for writing on or just using it for a flat surface. It fits my laptop 15.4" perfectly and fits into my backpack well.

Really nothing bad to say. Just would like to be able to double tap to lock and then select/scroll....and 2 finger right mouse click.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, August 28, 2013
Flightpilot (Germantown, MD) - See all my reviews
Got this online for about $18.00. It's not nearly as big as some people make it out to be. It's a decent thickness, nothing that would irritate. The slide out touch mouse is popular with my wife. Other family members saw it and ordered a couple just like it. Good job Logitech.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Start, July 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this with my 14" Samsung laptop that runs Ubuntu.

Worked as expected:
* Plug and play. Connecting through the USB port worked perfectly. I was a little worried since my machine is not Windows, but it worked on the first try without issues.

* The pad is not too heavy and felt pretty nice to hold. Insulates the laptop heat very well.

* Even though I thought the extended pad was extra (if you have a laptop, you probably have a touch pad right on it and all the function keys there), everything on it worked perfectly except...

Difficulties: Scrolling on the pad. I had a lot of difficulties scrolling on this pad, to the point where I stopped using it. You really have to use two fingers right next to each other, and even then it doesn't work well.

Overall I think it was a good product. Some suggestions for the future is to maybe make it a little smaller and find a better use for the pad. Maybe make it a place where you can hand-write and transfer to pc. That would be a more useful function than just another copy of the pad that already exists on the laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Negative to say., February 20, 2014
Where do I start... Using a laptop on the sofa, or on the road, we've used boards (ugly and bulky), pillows (plugged my fan), and borrowed my sons, but he wanted it back. I looked all around, and many were too small for the 17" laptop. I also use a cordless trackball, and I wanted a place for the mouse on occasions.

This thing is lightweight, compact, there is a spot on the right to pull out for expanding the width. The white part holds the whole 17" laptop perfectly, and the part that slides out easily holds my mouse, but I don't really need it, because this has a track pad on it as well! There are multimedia buttons, and I can turn that part on or off depending on if I'm using the track ball or pad. It has nonskid strips on the bottom to keep it from sliding around if I put it on a table.

One very nice feature is Logitech's Unifying adapter. I have one USB plug (small and non-intrusive) that works for both my trackball and this lapdesk pad. It was bought for Christmas, and 2 months later, still haven't had to change the batteries yet.

I simply can't say ANYTHING negative about this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but far from perfect, December 20, 2013
Much better than using a mouse for my work.

Pros:

Great trackpad
USB dongle connection works flawlessly
Battery life isn't bad
Nice grippy surface

Cons:
Bigger than it needs to be, unless you have a 17" laptop
Half of the screws holding the unit together have slowly worked loose and fallen out -- but -- still works fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, December 30, 2012
Teresa (Olney, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
This is very sturdy and functional. It keeps the heat of my laptop off my legs, couch, wherever. It's a great size for my 15in laptop and anything smaller, but I feel it wouldn't be very functional for a 17in. I like the re-tractability of the touch-pad section which could also be used with a mouse, if desired. I have a Logitech wireless mouse, so the same multiple item USB plug can be used for both the touch-pad and the mouse. It's lightweight to easily tote from place to place. I am very happy with this purchase.