5.0 out of 5 stars Two things to consider if you are thinking of buying...
Published on January 17, 2011 by Technologist

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap decals for lettering and numbers
The BIGGEST problem I have with the keyboard is that the letters and numbers are thin decals on the keys and wear off very fast, less than 6 months. I am on my second keyboard and this one has the letters wearing off as well and I am not a heavy typist.
I called Logitech with my complaint and they replaced my first keyboard and in doing so told me they would not...
Published 9 months ago by Vermonter

5.0 out of 5 stars Two things to consider if you are thinking of buying..., January 17, 2011
Technologist "Neil" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech MK710 Wireless Desktop Mouse and Keyboard Combo (Personal Computers)
I get to use a lot of keyboards at various customer sites and also with my own computers. I certainly like the feel of this keyboard more than any other I've experienced. I'm sure there's a lot that will vary person to person and preferences will differ, but my typing on this seems to be accurate, quiet, fast, comfortable and easy. My old (yet very nice and still very functional and modern looking) keyboard now feels like it is VERY clunky with loud and noisy keys!

However, there are two things I'm still undecided on that MIGHT give me some regrets about this keyboard. First is that because of the large palm-rest cushion, the keyboard's keys are actually positioned an inch or two further back on my desk than my previous keyboard. This leaves me reaching with my arms further forward, and I can feel extra stress in my upper arms. If it does turn out to bother me, I think I'll simply add a couple of rubber feet so I can operate this keyboard with its front two rubber feet hanging off the edge of the desk - which seems to be still quite stable even with my palms pushing on the overhanging palm rest. Now, I have to say, I don't think this would bother someone that sits straight up in their chair in what used to be considered the ergonomically correct position (research now shows that slouching back in your chair is the best for your back, and I've always been a complete sloucher!).

I also have to say that the palm rest feels great. I wasn't expecting that, didn't think I would like or need it.

The second concern might not affect most users, but I frequently develop software and use the function keys for controlling execution of the program while it runs in a debugger (function keys are use for stepping through the lines of the code, setting breakpoints, stepping over functions, etc). This keyboard's function keys are both small, and more recessed than any I've used before. They take considerable force to press compared to the main keys. Normally as I'm debugging my eyes are on the code and the debug windows, and use of the keys is very automatic. Now I think I may have to look more carefully to select the correct function key, time will tell.

It's nice to have the LCD display of CAPS lock etc, and the calculator key is one I will be using frequently. The CD eject button is also useful.

Also, I read reviews that said the range is very short. Well, mine seems to work everyehere I go in the whole house! It may be that users are plugging the unifying USB into the back of a metal PC which is blocking the signal. The desktop set comes with an extension cable for the USB module which allows you to place it a few feet away from the metal box (or from other 2.4GHz devices, such as some phones).

Now to the mouse. I just also purchased the Logitech Performance MX mouse which is in many ways the big brother and current top of the Logitech range of of mice. They share similar buttons and the same scroll wheel, the only differences being size, shape, and the Performance has an additional "zoom" button that frankly I will probably never use. Comparing them side by side, I actually prefer this smaller mouse. The Performance MX makes me elevate my hand and the weight of my hand is supported by my wrist which is less comfortable. With this M705 the bone under the fleshy part of my palm just above the wrist rests very comfortably on the desk and supports the weight of my hand. The MX705 is considerably lighter also, but lacks the USB recharging ability. (The Performance MX allows you to plug in a USB cable and continue to use the mouse while it charges). But, with batteries that last a very long time, it matters little. And unlike the MX705, the Performance MX works very well on glass (I tested both).

The click action of the MX705's buttons is considerably FASTER. The scroll wheel common to both takes a few minutes to get used to, but after that I haven't looked back. The wheel is easy to control, and for fast continual scrolling you lightly flick it and set it spinning. Left to itself, it can spin for almost 20 seconds. A slight touch slows it or stops it. Its far more controllable, responsive and intuitive than anything I've used before and I don't understand some of the complaints many reviewers have had. I haven't needed to use the scroll mode button which adds friction stops to the wheel and makes it more like a traditional scroll wheel.

Bottom line, go for it! I think you will love this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another solid desktop set from Logitech, July 1, 2010
I first encountered this set at a local Staples store display. I tried the keys and the mouse, and after that I knew that I wanted one. The keyboard is very low profile, but not low enough to me too mushy. It has the solid tactile feedback typical of a Logitech set. I also love how quiet the keyboard and mouse were. On my two previous sets, one had a noisy keyboard and a quiet mouse, and the other had a quiet keyboard and a noisy mouse. On the MK710, both the keyboard and the mouse are wonderfully muted. The wrist pad on the keyboard is a very nice touch, although the point at which it is widest is a bit odd, because it leaves one wrist more slightly supported than the other. It still feels comfortable once you get used to it, but having both wrists supported equally would have been nice.

The keyboard has some nice function keys and a LCD display that shows the status of the battery, caps lock, num lock, and mute. The LCD is not backlit, so it can be difficult to see sometimes, however this is understandable to conserve battery life. It is still very small, however. There are not a lot of customizable keys on the keyboard, which is ok, but since the price is so high, I would expect to see more programmable functions to justify the sticker price. The keyboard comes with two sets of adjustable legs, but they are pretty thin and are not the sturdiest I have seen. Still they do provide two different heights for the keyboard.

The mouse is nice, although it is for right-handed people only. It has two side buttons near the top that default to the back and forward functions, and a third button placed oddly towards the bottom edge of the left side of the mouse. That is by default the application switcher button, which is useful, but in a very strange place. It takes a bit of a learning curve to press it reliably. The mouse tracks well and clicks very quietly, and is not too big. It has a metal scroll wheel that offers four way tilt scrolling and a neat feature called hyperscrolling. Basically, there is a button directly beneath the scroll wheel that you push to enable traditional "click" scrolling when you need precision or smooth hyperscrolling when you need speed. The mechanism is solid and works easily.

The only issue that I had with this device was the SetPoint software. The set can be used without installing drivers, however the customizable features of the set will only work with the SetPoint drivers. The drivers that come with the set are hopelessly out of date, especially if you are using Windows 7 64bit. Please do yourself a favor if you own this set and go straight to the Logitech website and download the latest drivers from there. Don't waste time installing the drivers from the CD, only to find they make some of your computer functions go haywire.

Other than that, this is another great desktop set from Logitech. One the correct drivers are installed, it works like a piece of cake. It is a little pricey, but has all the reliability and quality that one would expect from Logitech.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unstoppable Customer Service, Outstanding Product, May 23, 2011
I had owned the predecessor model, the LX 710 Mouse Keyboard Combo for about 4 years, when my 2 year old kid lost the battery cover on the mouse. I contacted Logitech, about getting a replacement cover. They informed me there were no longer any spare parts for that model, but that if my product was purchased within the past 5 years they would replace it under warranty. I emailed them back and told them, "I would love to claim the warranty, but I don't think a kid losing the cover is included." To my amazement, the company emailed me back a prepaid UPS pickup label to send in my keyboard and mouse for a free replacement. I wondered if I should take the company up on this warranty claim, as I still didn't feel like I qualified. Then one day, as I was still trying to decide if sending it back was the right thing to do, I saw on my doorstep a brand new MK 710! I had not even sent mine back and they had sent me a new one. I am truly blown away by the customer service of this company, it is unstoppable! By the way, I love the MK 710. It is super comfortable, stylish, and works flawlessly. A+ Logitech for an excellent product and customer service beyond words!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, June 1, 2010
I've owned several of Logitech's products so when the time came to outfit a laptop with an external keyboard I went looking to see what the latest revision brings. The mouse if comfortable, if a bit light, although I still don't like the separate button to switch between 'free' and 'click' wheel. Layout of the keyboard is as expected and better than the one I use (Desktop Wave Pro) where the delete key is different than every version known to man. I like the LCD although I wonder if it will be of any real use. They keys have a nice feel and travel to them and the padded wrist rest is great.

Also two final notes - First, the size of the dongle is amazing and it makes it a real possibility that you won't take it out. Second, rather than bothering with the shipped CD take a few minutes and stop off at the support site to look for the latest drivers. In my case there was a detection ActiveX module you can load to make selection foolproof (will become more important later when I can't remember the exact name of the product) and installation was no biggie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled in 3 days, September 1, 2010
I love this product so much, that this is my first review written on Amazon.

After three days, I'm spoiled. I absolutely LOVE this keyboard/mouse combo! The "function" keys on the keyboard are extremely useful if you are in and out of Word & Excel all day. Also, the calculator button above the 10-key makes calculations super quick and easy! The mouse, though, is my favorite thing!

The forward/back buttons make browsing the Internet a breeze, and a the "green" "thumb" button makes switching application so simple a 4 year old could do it! Furthermore, there are no interruptions with the laser tracking.

Don't be concerned about the "indented" keys, I don't even notice the difference. The installation wasn't tricky, just not a Plug-N-Play like I hoped. My only complaint is that I wish I had one at home too! Last night I tried clicking the "back" button on my mouse at home... I'm spoiled!

5.0 out of 5 stars M705 Mouse Plus MK700 Keyboard= MK710 aka Sweet Setup, April 22, 2010
My old keyboard mouse combo was flat out old. It was Logitechs Y-RJ20 keyboard and an old opticl mouseman mouse, both aging bad. I loved my old keyboard with the knobby volume and MP3 player controls on the keyboard, and battery life was about 6 months for the keyboard not too bad for being 6 years old. My old mouse on the other hand would last about a week and a half and drove me nuts constantly changing batteries. I finally broke down and bought the MK710, and it was an upgrade I won't soon regret. The mouse is super sweet. Very much like the VX Nano mouse only for bigger hands(which I really enjoy for my laptop). All in all I rate this setup as the best setup for a hundred bucks and I couldn't be more pleased. The battery life will be the only thing left for me to prove, and we'll see. The keyboard has 3 positions, no knobby volume but controls are all there and easy to use. Keys are low profile, but feel good and feel solid. The mouse was my biggest upgrade, and am all too happy to see this device under my hand! Execellent product logitech, would recommend. WIll check back if I find anything peculiar or mortifying about this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars new MK710 is huge upgrade over my old S520........almost, November 15, 2010
I also own a lower-tier logitech combo and this is much better. I love 2/3 of this set. The keyboard is great, i like the traditional feel and look. The unifying receiver is terrific, the range on this tiny thing is awesome. But the mouse....I don't mind the size as most people complain about. For me it's the accuracy. I have used ball, optical, and laser mice and this one has been the hardest to use precision-wise. Other than that this set is great, especially for a multimedia or htpc setup. The batteries practically never die on these with normal pc usage.
Keyboard: 9 out of 10
Receiver: 10 out of 10
Mouse: 6 out of 10
Overall: 8 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set!, May 21, 2011
I purchased this after a family friend also purchased it. This is probably my favorite keyboard I have ever used! The keys feel awesome in your hands and it is really light. Also, the mouse fits into your hand so well, it is almost like it was made to fit your hand! A++ to logitech on this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars MK710 is great. Other reviewers are wrong., April 27, 2010
I just got the MK710 package and the keyboard is an MK700 keyboard with an M705 mouse. I just contacted logitech and they explained that the new MK710 uses an MK700 keyboard with unifying receiver support. The reason they explained that the MK710 box does not say MK700 on it because they already have a product floating around in stores called the MK700 without unifying receiver. They called it MK710 as a way to say it is an upgrade from MK700.

If you were to purchase the MK700 package and look under the keyboard it will say MK700 without the unifying receiver symbol printed on the back. The MK710 package has the MK700 keyboard with the unifying receiver symbol printed on the back of the keyboard.

This is a new keyboard with unifying receiver support. So don't think that the one you purchased is a different product because it is not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased..., May 10, 2011
Setup was too easy. I'm running Windows Vista and when I plugged in the tiny USB receiver and, very suddenly, everything just worked. No hassles?... Weird!

I personally love the soft feel of the keys and how quiet they are. The range on both items is also great. My wife and I use this set >10 feet from our laptop that we have hooked up to our 32" HDTV.

The LCD on the keyboard is a very nice feature. At a glance you can see the battery life indicator, mute and whether the Caps Lock or Num Lock are on.

The mouse is very nice and responsive on just about any surface. I also like having the option of a click or smooth scrolling wheel and the side scrolling function. I'm still getting used to the page back and forth button near the thumb. I keep hitting it inadvertently when I pick up the mouse.

This is exactly what I was looking for in a Mouse/Keyboard combo and I'm glad I decided to spend the extra money to buy the Logitech MK710 set.