4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised
Published on September 22, 2004 by David A. Lessnau

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for wireless - drivers are biggest weakness
I've never been a fan of wireless mice as I've generally found them not nearly as responsive as their wired counterparts. This Logitech mouse has changed my opinion of that. The cursor responds without any noticeable delay. The only thing that I had to get used to was how smoothly the mouse moves across the surface-there's very little resistance. Logitech has really...
Published on January 31, 2006 by D. Burns

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, September 22, 2004
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
Up until now, I've always used Microsoft mice (and wired ones, at that). I've been trying to replace my old Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer because it was generating spurious mouse-clicks. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a local, wired, version of that mouse. So, in desperation, I bought this Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse. I was very surprised that I liked it. It's about the same size and heft as my old Intellimouse, and I don't have to mess with a cord. Its tracking seems to be dead on. I've tested it on my old, black, somewhat fuzzy mouse pad, various parts of my desk, different types of paper, and my tummy. It's worked perfectly in all cases. The only things I can characterize as being negative are that 1) I had to remap the Back and Forward buttons to ALT+Left Arrow and ALT+Right Arrow so that those buttons would work properly in Mozilla Firefox (my browser), and 2) I wish the charging base got its power via the USB connection instead of from yet another power transformer.

After another reviewer mentioned it here, I did notice that the "scrolling focus" behaves differently in different applications. In my case, Internet browsing is probably where I'd see that the most. But, Mozilla Firefox behaves "properly." So, I'm ok. Since this behavior depends on the application, I'm guessing that it's a difference in how the applications are coded and not something to do with the mouse. Purely conjecture, though.

Again, surprisingly, I highly recommend this mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mouse Ever, November 15, 2004
R. Williams "code slubber" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I love this thing. I tried the MX700 and it was a pig, too big and slow. I'm using the MX1000 w/a Mac G5 and it works great. The tracking is frankly amazing, super sensitive but you don't feel like you are on edge trying to control w/micromovements. I have a small platform for my mouse to sit on so I was wary of this thing being too big, but it works great. In the last 6 months I've been through 5 different mice. This is miles beyond any of the others (including Apple's, Kensington's wireless, MX700, the Bluetake).

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for some, others have problems - I have none, October 24, 2004
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I normally don't write reviews but I see a lot of conflicting reviews here so far and wanted to add my own thoughts. I previously owned an MS Optical desktop elite setup but when in a PC shop here I saw the MX1000 and wanted it as I've had problems with my MS mouse.

I got the mouse home, installed it, installed the software and went to test it on some games. I noticed I couldn't assign a lot of the buttons as I could with the MS mouse until I remembered how I solved the problem with that one. I closed / disabled the software for the mouse and could immediately assign the buttons as usual. Not the best solution in the world but it works and the mouse is still fully usable. The responsiveness was a lot better than the MS mouse and worked on a few surfaces I could never use the optical mouse on. Polished surfaces, a 3D effect mousepad and even the arm of my chair. Battery life is very good so far and I like the indicator lights on the side as well as the ability to turn the mouse off to save the battery. It fits well in my hand and tracks well for me despite what I've read in other reviews.

I've not experienced the 'wobble' that others have found, I assume that it's a production issue that Logitech will resolve as time goes on but is something to think about if you're considering buying this mouse. Tracking issues, again I have none but some other reviews here are from people who claim to have them. Again I'm going to say this is probably due to early production batches having problems with Logitech to blame for wanting to get the product out there fast.

The main reason I'm doing this review though is a review by a "Robert Y. Loh" who lists problems such as lifting it from a surface, trying to use it again and experience delays. Well... I've just lifted the mouse off my mousepad, moved it around the room, shaken it and put it back on and it tracked instantly.

Buttons do not work in most applications and aren't recognised in most games? Disable / close the software, all you need are the drivers installed anyway. The *only* application I've used where the buttons (forward and back) aren't recognised is Mozilla Firefox. They work fine in Netscape and IE which will cover almost everyone. I agree the software installed is bloated but again, all you need is the drivers installed and then you can disable it from loading at startup or close it after booting up.

The other thing he says that really annoyed me though....

"I would advise: stay away for the next month or three, while they work the problems out of this one. Anyone posting to the contrary is probably not trying to make full use of their mouse, or otherwise is posting as an agent of Logitech... "

Yes.... it's a huge conspiracy! I'm an agent of Logitech or computer retarded if I post to the contrary huh? Don't you think it's more plausible that while some have problems, others don't? There may well be more people complaining on forums than saying how great the mouse is but that's the same with a lot of things. People complain because they have issues, a lot of people with no problems will never think to post "I have no problems, this mouse works fine for me" so I wouldn't count that.

In my opinion, there are obviously production issues that are causing problems for some but then there are others with no problems. It seems to be pot luck if you get a good mouse or bad one, Logitech need to get onto that fast or risk losing customers and earning a bad reputation. The only thing I'd agree with is that if you're considering buying this mouse, make sure you understand the current issues *some* people are having.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Mouse - for most people!, September 25, 2004
G Darke "zontar" (West Grove, Pa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I have been using a Logitech MX700 mouse for a few years now (since the day they were first sold) and I love it. I now love my MX1000 even more!!

Up front: If you are an EXTREME gamer or relying on this for many hours of professional photo editing - other specialized mice may better suit your needs. Wired opticals usually work best for intense games and very small, light mice are best for hours of fine photo editing. (The MX1000 is the same weight as the MX700 but 6oz is a lot of mass to push around all day pixel-by-pixel editing photos even thought the MX1000 has bigger slide pads on the base and moves more easily than the MX700.) And by the way, mice are easy to change. I have on occasion put on a $10 1oz mouse just for a day to do 10 hours of photo restoration.

As for the MX1000 in general:

Great feel, super responsive, good placement of features (for a right-hander). IF you are coming from a mouse like the MX700 then this feels "turbocharged". You will LOVE IT! 21 day battery, no annoying red light, SMOOTH buttons, multiple scroll buttons, etc.

I waited 3 weeks after they came out to buy mine afer hearing a lot of mixed press on this mouse but finally just took the plunge. Very glad that I did. I spend a lot of time on the computer and this is making my life a lot easier. I feel like a child that just got a new toy for Christmas. Few pieces of computer hardware make me feel that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate but heavy, September 16, 2004
Sardan (Round Rock) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I got this mouse to replace a Microsoft Wheel Mouse optical that didn't track well on my wooden desk surface. On the plus side, the Logitech mouse is every bit as sensitive and accurate as they claim it is. On the same surface that gave traditional optical mice fits, it tracks smoothly and hyper-accurately. For accuracy I'd give it a perfect 5 star score.

But there are a couple of drawbacks. First, it's incredibly heavy for a mouse. My old wired optical mouse weighed only 3 ounces. This bruiser weighs 6.5 ounces. That doesn't sound like much, but repetitive motion injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis can be affected by tiny differences in the force needed to press keys, or move mice. That's not to say it doesn't move easily; the glide pads on the bottom let it move easily and fluidly with very little "stiction." But it's going to take me a long time to adjust to pushing it around.

Second, it's heavily contoured for right-handed people. I'm left-handed; I can use the mouse with my right hand, so this isn't a deal-breaker for me, but dedicated southpaws beware: this isn't the mouse for you.

Back to the positives: the power saving feature works seamlessly. If the mouse is inactive for a couple of seconds, it goes into a sleep mode. But when you move it, it wakes up instantly with no perceptable lag. The wireless connection is also lag-free.

This is a MAJOR step forward in terms of accuracy and tracking. If you've ever been annoyed by a mouse that was jumpy or didn't track well, you should consider this mouse. If you're in the market for a cordless mouse, and you're right-handed, and you don't mind a mouse that is a bit heavy, you won't go wrong with this mouse.

If you're a lefty, or have any sort of repetitive motion wrist problem, I'd say skip this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great natural fitting mouse, September 30, 2004
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I'm a owner of the older MX700 model and recently got the MX1000. I can't say the MX1000 is a quantum leap over the 700, in fact the forward button near the thumb took a little use to, but once my hand unlearned the 700 and learned the new form, it felt like a glove. It's great that the new mouse now has the tilt wheel like the MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. In terms of look, I actually think the MX700 looks cooler than the MX1000, perhaps they will come up with newer color scheme later on in the release.

The biggest improvement in the mouse besides the form factor is the position/rearrangements of the buttons on hand, especially the task switcher button near the thumb. It's so much more logically placed now that I 'actually' use it where as in MX700, I often forgot about the tiny button and uses good old <alt-tab> key.

The battery life, I also noticed has greatly improved, I believe because it's got a more intelligent power management system. I often see the power indicator goes dark after a few moments of inactivities, but as soon as I start moving the mouse again, the indicator goes back on instantly.

I also agree with some of the reviewer that the charge base is now much more forgiving in terms of catching the mouse in place. In the old MX700, I often find the mouse's IR light blinking after situating the mouse on the charge base because it was slightly off position. I have yet been able to position the MX1000 wrong in the base.

All this shows me that Logitech take their mouse really seriously and obviously has taken heart to many of the user's feedbacks and made a better mouse...ah...trap. :-)

Lastly, I have never encountered any wobbling or skipping problems with my mouse no matter how hard I try, so perhaps someone got a lemon or something.

It's 5 stars for me. Go out and get one if you love Logitech mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful investment, if you can spare the cash., September 10, 2004
Mary C. Lunzer (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I've been using Logitech and Microsoft optical mice for over three years now and I haven't had alot of bad to say about most of the products I've used. The only problems I've ever had was with my Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical; the cursor was very jumpy and the mouse was picky about its mousing surface.

I switched over from a wired Microsoft Intellimouse about 8 months ago to a Logitech MX700. It wasn't because I wasn't pleased with its performance, I was simply tired of the cord always getting caught and having to pull it. I actually replaced an Intellimouse because the wire was damaged from all the pulling. After I made the switch, I have to say that I was very pleased with the wireless performance of the MX700.

I was however not elated. The MX700 was pretty heavy and once and a while the cursor would still jump, once every other day or so. I also was annoyed at having to recharge my mouse every 3 days; I actually got into the habit of charging it for 20 minutes every day which worked fine. When I saw that the MX1000 had come out and claimed to fix all these problems I got pretty excited.

To say the least, I'd say the MX1000 has lived up to the expectations. I've been using it for just under a week now and I think all of the problems I've mentioned with the MX700 have been fixed in Logitechs newest product. The MX1000 is lighter, if only moderately so, but it has larger glide pads so it glides as good as my super light Intellimouse did. Thanks to the lithium Ion battery, after six days of use my battery meter is still full. There also hasn't been any problems with the pointer jumping around and the movement is much more crisp than the MX700. A great feature they added to the MX1000 is an on/off switch on the bottom. I won't try to appeal to people who say that wireless has lag where wires don't because Logitech has proved that this isn't the case, especially with the MX1000.

If you can afford it, the MX1000 is a great investment for anyone who uses a computer for many hours of the day, cubical lords and hardcore gamers alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive, responsive, comfortable, but still has issues, September 7, 2004
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
This was my first time buying a cordless mouse, and I have to say that I am satisfied with it.

Form factor: The mouse is quite large, which might be a problem for those with small hands or who like small mice, but I like the feel. It is understanably heavier than my corded mouse, but not as heavy as I thought it would be, given it has a rechargable battery in it that is supposed to last over 12 hours. One of the few things I didn't like is that the chargable base is also the wireless receiver. I think a smaller adapter that some wireless mice use would be better, leaving the charger to be placed in any position needed (you are not supposed to put it near any electronic devices, or it will interfere with the reception).

Performance: The mouse is very sensitive, very small movements are captured perfectly on many surfaces my LED optical mouse would not work well on. I can whip the pointer all around the screen with no loss or error, which is what the LED mice did poorest with, I think. I have no complaints at all, and I believe their claim that it is 20x better than an LED mouse. The mouse kicks off after a few seconds of inactivity, but comes back instantly upon movement, without having to move the mouse around for a second before it turns back on.

Other: The driver/application suite that they bundle with the mouse (SetPoint) is completely useless in my opinion. The only thing they really are needed for is to map the application button on the left side. The HID drivers in windows XP worked just fine, and I happen to think that the windows mouse sensitivity settings are better. I also wish they wouldn't have bothered with the little metal sticker on the front, it comes off way too easily... they should have just kept the bottom-front smooth.

Lastly, I had to return my first mouse because of some bug that made it jump up about 1 inch on the screen when I would move the mouse inside menus, in a list of links, or anything else that would make the mouse select different things quickly while moving upward. I tried it on many machines in different locations, and it did the same thing. The second mouse has worked fine for the 2 hours I have been using it thus far. I wonder if this will be a reoccuring bug, or if it was just a fluke...

Because I had to return it once, and the other small issues I had, this mouse was very close to getting 3 stars for me, but because it works well for what I need (I do very little gaming anymore) and seems to outperform my other mouse which I loved, I think it deserves 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars The next revolution in mice?, April 8, 2005
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
Well I've been using this mouse for about 4 months now and I figured it was time to write a review. My "mouse history" over the last few years goes from a 'normal' mouse, to an optical Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, then to a wireless MS Intellimouse Explorer, then to this Logitech MX1000. This is BY FAR the best mouse I have owned or used.

First, the change from a traditional mouse with a tracking ball on the bottom to an optical mouse was a revolution. Mice became so much more smooth and precise. Then came wireless mice and the convenience of not having to deal with a cord and the freedom that provided in where and how you use your mouse made it difficult to ever go back to a corded mouse. Now comes the laser mouse, and unbelievably, it makes a substantial enhancement on the optical technology. It's similar, but better. It's surprising how much more accurate and smooth-tracking it is when compared to optical mice. It's one of those things that you'll just have to experience to really understand.

One thing that I wanted in a mouse was a charging station. The wireless Microsoft mouse just went through AAs like candy and so I decided that a charging station setup was a must-have for my next mouse. What I didn't expect was how long the batteries on this baby would last between charges. I would say it easily goes a couple of weeks without needing to be charged. I probably only charge it once or twice a month (but I only use it for maybe 15 hours a week because most of my time is spent on my laptop). BUT, I don't see why this really matters for most people since it's pretty easy to set it on the charging station when you're not using it. I don't do that because I have the base setup in a rather unconventional place (off the desktop and out of the way, but only a slight hassle for me to get to).

Another thing I really like about this mouse is the button configuration. Do you remember what it was like to not have a scroll-wheel on a mouse? That seems like the Dark Ages now. That's also how I feel about having only two (or one ;) button on a mouse. The addition of the forward and back buttons near the thumb on the MS mice I owned became indispensable for me. The Logitech adds the application-switching (alt-tab) button between them, the tilt scroll wheel for easier horizontal scrolling, and the 'cruise control' buttons above and below the scroll wheel.

If you can't tell, I love this mouse and would buy it again in an instant. I do, however, have some complaints. This has probably been mentioned in previous reviews, but my mouse would skip around quite a bit for no reason at all. I found a lot of information about this problem on the Logitech forums but ultimately just decided to use the PS/2 adapter to connect to my computer instead of a USB port. Problem solved. If you have the software installed, I haven't witnessed any loss in functionality in comparison to having it connected via USB, plus, this obviously saves you from having to occupy yet another USB port on your computer. My other complaint is that the wireless signal seems pretty sensitive to interference (more so than the Microsoft wireless) so you may have to experiment with your base placement before you find the ideal setup for your space.

This is an excellent mouse with very few drawbacks. If I had made a description of what my perfect mouse would be, this has it all (except that I still have to use my hand to move it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This mouse works perfectly for me, September 24, 2004
This review is from: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I have had the MX1000 for over a week now and I find it to be the best mouse I have ever used. My old MS optical and Logitech optical would sometimes lag, especially if I let the mouse set unused for a minute while I read a news article or something. This one reacts instantly and accurately. To answer some critical comments let me say this. I have used my mouse on wood, glass, ceramic tile and cloth. It worked. If you have a problem with a glass topped desk put a piece of paper under the portion of the glass where the mouse will be used. If you are worried about the battery dying, the mouse and the battery are guarenteed for 3 years. Battery life is 3 weeks if you never put it in the charger/base. Even then a dead mouse will charge enough in 10 minutes to last all day. The reason it has a charger plug in addition to a USB connection is that a USB port only provides 1/2 Amp of power. This is not enough to charge the battery as quickly as you would want. The mouse has battery level indicators so you will always know if it ever gets low. Mine hasen't read less than full in a week of 12 hour a day operation. I am not a big Gamer so I don't know if the mouse will work in all games but it works on the few that I play. I have been able to reprogram the mouse buttons to do everything the keyboard does including the F keys.

Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse