5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning input device for HTPC's
Ever since I saw and used this device at CES I knew I had to have it.

Well, it just showed up today and while it's not for touchtyping or long emails I am writing this review with it from the couch.

Published on March 19, 2008 by R. Tammany

It's a nice keyboard when it works but it regularly loses the Bluetooth connection and you need to remove and replace the battery for it to work again. Very annoying and Logitech has no workaround for fixing it. Search the Logitech forums for "mini keyboard loses connection" to see the posts.

Until this problem is fixed, I would not recommend it. Logitech...
Published on June 24, 2008 by Werner L. Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning input device for HTPC's, March 19, 2008
R. Tammany (Santa Rosa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Ever since I saw and used this device at CES I knew I had to have it.

Most of the mini keyboards on the market are still quite large and have terrible ergonomics with some awful excuse for an integrated pointing device. The DiNovo Mini is different. The keyboard is small enough to keep with your remotes without anyone knowing you have an HTPC setup. I'm so tired of having a full size DiNovo Edge with a Gyration Remote Mouse taking up a ton of room. It's great for typing a lot on but there's no where to put it, and it's awkward using a real mouse on the couch or always holding your hands in the air and flicking around to use the Gyration.

The DiNovo has excellent backlighting that only has one flaw. It makes it too hard to see the blue function keys like the ' and " but you can see all the shifted keys easily. It turns on only the trackpad backlighting when using the mouse, probably to save power but you can light up the keyboard by tapping the large function or shift keys.

The buttons are all pretty small and the media (Play,Next,etc) are a little awkward compared to using them on a Harmony remote but it's nice to have everything on one pad and not have to pick up a remote or a keyboard or a mouse to do everything.

You can alt tab, use windows keys, launch media center and 3 programmable buttons.. There's even a CTRL+ALT+DEL FN key. Now that's planning.

One other minor issue is there is no scroll wheel for internet use. it would be nice if holding FN while using the mouse did a scroll, but it just turns the mouse into a up and down, kind of like scroll but you have to hold FN the whole time or keep moving the function switch (for mouse or Dpad) back and forth all the time.

I won't lie, it's just like using a AT&T Tilt or other landscape slider smartphone keyboard. Cramped, pecking or using thumbs and writing this review has gotten to be a pain.

But for opening up your media center files, even full WMP11 or iTunes interface, browsing the web, sending short IM's and emails, and most of what you do on an HTPC it's great.

I will still keep the larger Edge connected for gaming, but the gyration is going in the closet.

I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to use an HTPC in the living room, or actually uses their PS3 as a browser. It is not for desktop PC's at all, you will probably be better served with a much cheaper remote or something like the DiNovo Edge with it's media pad.

The bluetooth range is decent but not like Gyration's 100ft so it's not really a professional presentation tool, but could be used at short (15-20) feet distances reliably. It really does make a nice powerpoint tool since you can draw on slides and have full mouse and keyboard control in presentations while standing up. Just be careful about the range.

Thanks and hope this helps :)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mini Controller for the Youtube and Home Theatre generation ..., July 15, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:

1. Light sensing keypad is way-cool.

2. A very simple and easy set-up.

3. Keyboard is responsive and easy to use. Fat fingers wont mind it at all and it's better than using your phone when you text.

4. The rechargeable battery seems to be operating fine and has the regular long life guarantee on it which is better than using a constant stream of disposable batteries.

5. Bluetooth Dongle storage is a plus.

6. A nice device that can and will eventually put all your fancy high-end remotes out to pasture.

7. Overall, a very nice product that delivers exactly what a person is looking for in this kind of product and ahead of the curve.

This is one of Logitech's better hardware offerings as of late.

Cons:

1. Loses connection frequently causing a lot of frustration and aggravation.

2. Slow response time that makes you ask yourself: `Did it lose its connection again?"

3. Connectivity is bit dodgy, obviously as it's now creeping up as the most reported problem from all the reviews.

4. The cover should flip back and out of the way, as it does get in the way and is annoying.

5. No scroll wheel -- a feature which would've made this really nice.

6. Connectivity is only at about 15-20 feet, so forget trying to cross your large Home Theatre system like I did.

These con's are all acceptable minuses for something this nice and this easy to use. I can't see going without it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Mini PC Entertainment Dinovo Keyboard Controller With Unifying Receiver, Also For Google TV And Logitech Revue, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Logitech Mini "CHROMECAST" PC Entertainment Dinovo Keyboard, Built-in Touchpad Controller With Unifying Receiver, Also For Google TV And Logitech Revue, Windows Media Center,PC,Mac Mini,PS3 Playstation 3, & Samsung Smart TV (Personal Computers)
I would like to begin by and acknowledge there is a lot of confusion and some conflict over these products.
Logitech provides you with TWO products that seem virtually identical but have essential differences.

1) Logtiech Dinovo mini
2) Logitech Mini Controller

If you're actually searching for photos you'll see almost no distinguishable differences. The significant difference to feel concerned with is the communication technology. The Dinovo mini works with Bluetooth Wireless communication while the Mini Controller features RF wireless.

I have acquired and used both these devices and will say that I 100% recommend the Mini Controller!
The merely disadvantage, if I consider it one, is usually that the Mini Controller need a small USB micro-transmitter mainly because motherboards/computers don't have RF built in unlike many that have BT built-in.

Whereas the Dinovo Mini may possess additional compatible use with more units from the box I found the bluetooth reception was quickly interrupted which led to jumpy mouse on the touchpad and unpredictable typing. I would type a complete sentence and after that only see 3 letters show up, 10-15 seconds later the enter sentence would immediately appear like the computer had caught up to what I was doing.
With the Mini Controller I have never once had inconsistent connection with the computer system. We have used this controller exclusively on my brand new PC build (HTPC) and it is excellent as an input gadget for all sorts of control; OS setup/testing, media playback, data transfer, and so on. The Mini Controller also works well with the Sony PS3 (transmitter plugged into USB port of course) and also while I do not own an Xbox 360 I believe it will work with this as well.

The Mini Controller possesses a detachable Li-Ion battery that when charged lasts over a month with common use! The equipment also simultaneously shuts off when the lid is closed once re-opened is functional within a second!

There are two settings for the title reviewer; Pointer and Directional, controlled by the small switch just to the left of the circular pad in the upper right hand corner. Pointer settings always touchpad control similar to you're used to on a laptop computer with exceptional feedback and quick response. Directional mode functions similar to a gaming D-Pad allowing left/right/up/down motion effective in shifting between lines in documents or additional applications. Both modes have "OK" or "Enter" whenever you push the middle down.

While the Mini Controller can seem a little pricey to some I feel its benefits strongly outweigh the price and con of an external transmitter. I have compared this gadget to many others including Harmony Remotes, Rii Controller, Boxee Box Controller, Mediaboard Pro, and full wireless keyboard/mouse methods. While a full-keyboard enables quicker typing it requires two separate units (keyboard + mouse) to accomplish all functions the Mini Controller delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars diNovo with Mac Mini and Plex media center, March 3, 2009
I ordered this keyboard, Logitech diNovo Mini, to use with my Mac Mini and Plex software to make a media center. While it is small, it does everything I want as a remote control. It works perfectly via Bluetooth with my Mac Mini in both cursor modes, touch pad or up/down/left/right.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice keyboard but loses connection all the time and requires the battery to be removed, June 24, 2008
Werner L. Sharp (Allentown, PA, USA) - See all my reviews

Until this problem is fixed, I would not recommend it. Logitech support has not been helpful with this besides saying it is a "known issue".

5.0 out of 5 stars The difference between " Logitech Mini Controller" and the " Logitech Dinovo Mini", August 20, 2012
Small and light.
Easy to use as a mouse, or a directional pad.
Comfortable, full QWERTY keyboard.
Replaceable, rechargeable battery.

The only difference is that "Controller" works via "Unifying Receiver " and the "Mini" works via "Bluetooth

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product for a steal! And works with Mac!!, September 13, 2012
After over a month of usage, I can honestly say this keyboard is awesome!! Fully functional device, responsive to light, sturdy design, and great battery management. In a month, I only charged the keyboard twice, and it still has life in the battery!!
Initially when I saw this, my chief worry was it working on another device aside the Google TV, let alone my Mac mini. I am pleased to report that with the USB dongle receiver, not only does it work on my Mac Mini, but on my friend's PlayStation 3, and on my brother's PC!!
The media keys still respond to iTunes, even if iTunes is not the forefront app running. The pad works as a trackpad; when the switch is on orange, I can move my cursor around. When the switch is on green, I can scroll on windows, a neat function!! While I cannot seem to get a command/apple key, I have learned to manuever around that...

With the diNovo Mini, for about $123 current, you get a wonderful bluetooth keyboard that does exactly what this unit does.
I spent nearly half of that, and I have a USB wireless unit with all the nooks and crannies, and no bluetooth. And while I never was more than seven (7) feet away from my computer/HTPC, I never ran into any "out-of-range" or "man-I-lost-my-connection" issues. If you do not require a bluetooth connection, and want a straight-up keyboard that you won't do any major key modifications to, do not sleep past this gem!!

One thing I should say though, and I'll quote @primeguy, a reviewer of the diNovo mini whose words were influential in me getting this keyboard:
"as you use it... oil and dirt from your skin will slowly dirty the trackpad and make it SEEM like it is dropping connection by skipping or refusing to move... simply take a cloth with a LITTLE alcohol and wipe GENTLY to clean the surface.. generally keep your hands clean and don't expect to mow down a pound of fries and use this thing flawlessly... my experience is that it NEVER has appeared to drop connection when clean and works as good as the best laptop pads."

5.0 out of 5 stars This it the remote you want., November 24, 2012
I have several Home Theater PCs in my house. All of them have IR remote controls for navigating menus, playing movies, etc. But for the times when I need to open up a window or search for something on the internet, It has always sucked to have to pull out a keyboard and mouse. I have tried several HTPC friendly keyboards. This one (2.4GHz Wireless Mini Keyboard with Touchpad) has a track pad on the top and a blackberry keyboard underneath and the keys are back-lit, but it is nearly useless to enter text with. I also have theLenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901 which is "T" shaped with a keyboard on top and a track ball on the bottom. It works OK, but the keys are not back-lit and the remote is black so unless you like to watch your movies in a well lit room, then it is worthless. I have 2-3 others that have similar problems. I saw this one when it came out and thought it would do the trick but the price was too high. Well I waited long enough. I picked up this one for less than $50, and it has solved all the complaints I have had with all the others. Not too big, not too small, just the right amount of back light. This it the one you want Goldilocks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, It does work on a MAC!, March 20, 2008
As you will see from the description, there is no Mac/Apple compatibility. However, this is not entirely true. The keyboard is bluetooth and will certainly pair with your Apple computer. The mouse function and keyboard functions work beautifully. I haven't had a chance to play with it completely but the only thing I have discovered is that the function (open-apple) key doesn't seem to exist. I am sure there is a way to work around this though. The reason I gave it four stars is because the silly cover will not flip under the keyboard, it just makes things annoying, but it's minor.

See it in action on a mac here: [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy for PC, February 2, 2013
The unit works but lacks many capabilities. Both the touch pad and mouse button are programmed to the left mouse button. To get the right mouse button you have to press FN and Mouse - really inconvenient and bad design. <CTRL><ALT><DEL> does not work so you can't login or access task manager using the windows standard. I checked the small non-detailed pamphlet to see if I could remap keys and the keys in the document did not even match the unit. The pointer device is also difficult to control compared to the trackball unit I had. I really have nothing positive to say about this product.