1,095 of 1,123 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding features, attic installation and UPS power backup - here is how!
First of all the SETUP is very easy. The on screen prompts will take you though the steps.
1. Install the software.
2. Plug the master network adapter into the power outlet and plug the Ethernet cable into your router
3. Plug the camera into power outlet and click yes to update firmware (adapters and camera).
NOTE: Do not unplug the camera or the...
Published on October 22, 2010 by Internet shopper

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the most part - New update added for 2014!
I've been waiting for an inexpensive HD security system to come out. This system is pretty good and, for the most part, does what I want it to do.

SETUP: Setup isn't too bad. Just remember to read the directions but there are a few gotchas such as, you can't plug the camera side or the network side plugs into a power strip because of the circuitry screws up...
Published on January 23, 2011 by David Hilliard

‹ Previous | 19 10 1150 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Impressed, October 14, 2010
Brian M. Edwards (Edinburg, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This system is quite a surprise! It does a lot, is solid, well built and meant to last. I had to read the installation sheet twice but after that it really was very easy to set up. The system has a box that plugs into your router and into your power supply, the cameras are then plugged into your power supply and the signals travel through your house wiring to the receiving box plugged into the router. I can now watch live video of my front yard and also my living room (I also have an interior camera) which I could also use to monitor if I so wanted to. The daytime video is close to HD quality, night vision is monochrome and acceptable.
Some of the great features this system has is that the cameras each some with a 2 gig mini SD card pre-installed that record video whenever the camera detects motion. This video can be played back anytime (though the card will erase data as it becomes full and needs more space)

But wait...there's more, if you create an account on the Logitech web-site, you can monitor your cameras from anywhere with internet service. It comes with "apps" for some cellphones though it does not work on mine but it is possible to also monitor video right on your phone whenever you want, it can even send you alters whenever motion is detected!
You can also pan the cameras a little to view areas just out of the cameras reach which is pretty neat.
This system is not cheap, but is meant to last, a rarity in today's world full of cheaply made consumer products!
I will be adding another exterior camera to cover my back yard though it can accommodate up to an impressive 6 cameras total!

If you need a quality set of video cameras that you wish to install yourself, with all the described features, this would be a good bet! I really cannot think of any negatives... what nice deal!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed and frustrated, June 18, 2011
Disappointed and frustrated in this Logitech item - even though we've had success with many of their other products. I set this camera/software up in 15 minutes in a temporary test location before installing permanently. It worked fairly well, except for the night vision, but I was willing to live with this short-coming. After installing "by the book" permanently, this system could not locate the camera. Even though all components in this very simple configuration were installed correctly, and LED's indicated that all was well, tech support was not able to provide a solution outside of trying a longer Ethernet cable (???!!!) and resetting, plugging, unplugging and re-plugging all connections. After investing my Saturday morning drilling, installing, and fruitless troubleshooting - I'm packing it up to return to good old reliable Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy Logitech, July 4, 2014
This review is from: Logitech Alert 700e Outdoor Add-On HD Quality Security Camera with Night Vision (961-000338) (Electronics)
Logitech appears to be getting out of the security camera business. Their customer support will not stand behind this product if and when it fails. I recently had an experience where I purchased a spare camera, and it did not work when I tried to use it. When I called Logitech they said they would not replace the unit because it was out of warranty, even though I had never used it. Logitech also does not offer the ability to get it repaired, so I am out the cost of the camera.

I guess it is an expensive lesson for me to open a product and verify it works after purchasing it, but I will never again purchase from Logitech. I have had similar experiences with other vendor products, and they've stood behind their product and at least offered to repair it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crapped Out After 1 Year Stay Away Buy Dropcan Pro Instead, June 4, 2014
Bought the master system and an add-on camera. Both died after 1 year plus 14 days. The 14 days put them out of warranty. Logitech would not replace. Should have lasted much longer. Waste of $$s. Many other options. Switched to Dropcam. Refuse to spend another $$ on Logitech. I suggest you do the same. Dropcam much better product. Easier to install. Works flawlessly. Logitech lots of issues to install/ work and to keep working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad deal. They charge you yearly payments - for servilliance on your own computer system!, April 28, 2014
I had FIVE of those hgh defenition camersa, Picture was OK, not as good as Dropcam system which I have now. Piriodicaly my camerasone after the other will disappear from my computer,finaly I called Tech Support with Logitech and they could not help me.
Finaly I called them back in 2013 to cnacell my service.
Surprice! Time for this years payment, it showed up on my credit card statement, I have a new card, which I had not given to them.
That is worrysome, I had to get in touch with my card companey to cancell the payment.
Besides providing poor service, these guys have ILLEGAL BUSINESS PRACTICES, watch out, before you divelge your persenal details!

2.0 out of 5 stars Died right right after warranty expired, April 20, 2014
This would have been 4-5 star product if it hadn't died a few days after 1-year warranty expired. Nice picture quality, responsive program. I really enjoyed it and have planned to buy a few more. Oh well, now I have to look somewhere else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poooor Reliability!!!!!!, April 19, 2014
Longtime Logitech customer that thought their security cameras and software would be reliable. Have a six camera system and in 12 months of operation have had numerous problems. Five cameras have failed and needed to be replaced under warranty. Four power supplies have failed and were replaced under warranty. Software interface works intermittently where cameras are not detected requiring numerous reset of system and cameras which are in hard to reach locations. Product support for their security systems is disappointing as well, as every time you call them for support and warranty replacement you have to re-inform them of all of your purchase information with stupid questions on how you know their product failed!! Very disappointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 months, April 5, 2014
6 months is kind of short for a 300$ device. Now waiting for customer service since a week to confirm my purchase. By the way, the setup is really difficult. Not that it is hard to connect everything but any firewll etc might prevent that you can detect your cam. Took me 6 hours to figure it out. Otherwise a nice cam with a nice picture quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, March 2, 2014
Arnar Sigurdsson (Reykjavik, Iceland) - See all my reviews
The software is bad and unreliable not to mention the hardware but the device stopped working after 6 months. Stay away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder Camera for Motion Detection but need serious improvements, January 20, 2014
I own the bench mark Axis camera and also a cheap Trendnet. I bought 9 Logitech Alert camera's (6 outdoor and 2 indoor) from Logitech directly, in the past 27 months. One outdoor had a manufacturing defect with Auto Iris and was promptly replaced by Logitech. Another one died few months later and was promptly replaced by Logitech. The hardware mount has serious design issues. The base plate is very delicate and the screw could break easily. Logitech replaced the broken mounting hardware promptly for the first time. The replacement is a new design and has a another design flaw. If you over-tighten, you are going to break the hardware otherwise it is going to rotate. There is no perfect equilibrium. Besides, The coupling has to hold the support very tight on a tiny screw with no traction.

Pro's:
Ease of use and plug and play. Designed for a layman. POE works very well.
Very good picture quality for 720P.
Decent free software though you have to pay $80 per year for the mobile version to get the playback feature (without playback feature, the free version is useless). The alerts are fast on gmail and depending on the cell phone signal strength you can view live/playback. I have tried blue iris (which is a good software for starters) but choose the premium Logitech mobile because it can read the data stored on the SD card in Camera (you could eliminate this dependency by recording on the PC). So, Blue Iris ($50 one time fee) Vs. Logitech is a personal choice but, in long term Blue Iris will beat Logitech. I don't see much progress in Logitech Commander but Blue Iris is making good progress for the past 2 years.
Wide Angle: This is excellent (130) and the best available in the market. Very good for covering a wide area for motion detection. Note: As the wide angle increases, the pixel resolution goes down.
Reliability: The camera's and the software are very reliable.
Built in SD card: Good feature, if the connection is lost or broken.

Cons:
Mounting Hardware issues (if the camera is not fixed, it could loose network contacts, besides inaccurate motion detection settings).
Very expensive for 720P. There are better options available for advanced users who knows how to install IP based devices.
Software: Pretty basic and probably a decade old technology. Strongly recommended to go with a 3rd part professional versions. No intelligence to differentiate a human being vs a rabbit/light reflection of a car on the street.
Poor customer support: I have contacted Logitech Customer Support for the mounting hardware issue (this is a new version of the hardware they introduced recently) and the rep replied bluntly "there is nothing we can do about it and we can't replace". The guy is putting the blame on me saying "I have over tighten and damaged the hardware" where as I am trying to explain the design flaw. I have another mounting hardware which was never installed but had the same issue.
Software security: Logitech servers knows your cameras and I believe Logitech can access your camera. There might be a security issue (from Logitech it-self) which requires a thorough analysis.
Software support: There are rumors that Logitech may be selling this division (orders are not fulfilled for a long time) and for any reason if the servers are down, their software is useless (the big value of their product is the integrated software for plug and play users).
Auto Iris: Is OK but not very good/accurate.
Night vision: Is good but could be better for this price.
Improvements: The technology is getting outdated and looks like Logitech is not investing on the new technology.

Summary: I would give a 4 Star for a beginner (because of the best plug and play feature) but for an advanced user it is a 3 star (as of Jan 2014) as there are much better options in the market. The market is flooded with high quality / high resolution professional camera's from reputed vendors and it is a big question why pay premium.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1150 | Next ›