5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyboard for the PS3
Published on October 27, 2007 by Anime Junkie

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete
Keyboard works ok, but it is REALLY, REALLY lame that Logitech didn't include the L1,L2,R1,R2,etc keys...which are critical for proper zooming of the Internet Browser. This means that you have to have the controller or remote control nearby as well for basic navigation. How much harder could it have been to include these keys? Oh well...
Published on January 14, 2008 by Thalion

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyboard for the PS3, October 27, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro (Video Game)
I tried a standard wireless Logitech KB with the PS3 and while it worked, the range was only about 10 feet. As my couch is about 20 feet from the PS3, I had to string the KB receiver into the middle of the room. No such problem with the Mediaboard. I walked into a back bedroom over 50 ft away and it was able to transmit that distance through a number of walls. It is glossy black with a chrome strip on the top to complement the PS3. The X and O buttons are mapped to the Enter and Esc keys respectively; which works well since the X is usually "OK" and O is typically "Back". The touchpad beats using the D-pad to move around the PlayStation Store. I have not used the media buttons on the top since I have the Sony remote. Once you pair up the Mediaboard to the PS3 (which is an easy process) you don't have to do it again. I was concerned that I would have to pair it up each time I turned on the Mediaboard or PS3.

I only have three small issues with the Mediaboard. One, the power switch is a slider built into the chrome strip. There is a little nub in the center that I assume was to provide some grip. It doesn't help since the surface of the button is slick. I just use my fingernail to move the switch back and forth. Second: no Start button. You need to press Start to begin downloads from the Playstation Store. Not a big issue as you can use the arrow keys to move to the Start image on the screen and hit the Enter (X) key. Third: no PS button. A strange omission. It might have to do with the fact that the Mediaboard does not show up as a controller on the PS3.

I highly recommend the Mediaboard for anyone looking for a keyboard for their PS3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluetooth Keyboard !!, January 10, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Just received this keyboard last night. Was worried from the reviews that construction might be flimsy. Not the case. I had the Logitech DiNovo desktop (keyboard, number pad, and mouse) previously. The number pad went missing pretty quickly and the keyboard was not the toughest of keyboards. The left CTRL key stopped working after about a year. I was using it for my living room computer (music, net surfing, etc), so use was not tremendous. Another year later, the keyboard croaked and mouse went missing, so it was time for a new bluetooth combo. Not much out there at the time of this writing - Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard (expensive) and the Microsoft combo set, but it requires WinXP SP2, which I wasn't keen on. I considered the Bestbuy Razorfish, but that looked pretty cheap. I found this one for PS3, but was worried about compatability with a regular computer (I don't have PS3). I got the box, opened it up, used another keyboard and mouse to set up, and DONE! Up and running in under 3 minutes. The keyboard weight is perfect. Not too light and not terribly heavy. Doesn't feel cheap. Looks great with piano black and chrome finish when its sitting unused. If you've used a laptop touchpad, you can use this thing. A couple tweaks on the mouse movement settings and all set! There is no WIN key, but use Ctrl-Esc instead. The key stroke depth is great. Longer stroke than the Dinovo Desktop - also quieter. The touchpad also has scrolling - BIG PLUS. The keyboard even has two keys on the bottom left which emulate the left and right mouse buttons, making dragging a bit easier than using just the right hand. Finally, there's a power switch, which helps with battery life. Two AA's and this thing goes! For the money, this is the best bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo around. Keep in mind, this is used on an entertainment computer, not a gamer. Gamers obviously need a better mouse, but the keyboard is still great. Overall, for a living room / entertaining computer, this keyboard rates an A+.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, January 14, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Mac mini, sort of, May 29, 2009
James W. (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this keyboard with the intention of using it for both a Mac mini and future PS3 so I can only comment on it's use as a general BT keyboard. I am using the mini as a media center PC so having a BT keyboard with mousepad was essential. The keyboard itself is of normal size and is slight wider than a standard A/V component (e.g. stereo receiver). Like others have said, the quality is good but not great. My keyboard has a slight bow to it where it does not sit flush on a flat surface. Maybe that was by design, who knows. Other than the keyboard, the package includes a manual and batteries, no setup CD but no big deal. I was able to pair it up with the mini for the first time in less than a half minute. The response is great, never any lag. The only thing that makes this keyboard NOT ideal for a mac is the lack of extra function keys other than CTRL and ALT. There are no FN or COMMAND keys. Instead there is a left- and right-click "keys". I guess it makes more sense for a PS3. I was able to reassign the CTRL key to COMMAND and that's good enough for me. I could've assigned the caps lock key if I really needed CTRL. When restarting the mini, there are no pairing issues. It will pair within a couple of seconds of turning the keyboard on. All in all, I am happy with this keyboard and hope to have a similar impression once I get a PS3.

UPDATE:
There was a point where the keyboard could not be found by my Mac mini. I thought it was the Mac at first. Then I changed the batteries and now it works fine. So if you're having trouble pairing this keyboard, check the batteries.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could've been great but........, February 4, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
First off the keyboard I received had a problem with some sticking keys, and the left mouse button when click randomly. I returned and decided not to get another simply because Logitech neglected to put L1 L2 L3 R1 R2 R3 buttons on the keyboard making the keyboard a real pain in the neck to use. Since the PS3 browser requires the L and R keys to navigate properly through the Internet, this requires you to stop your typing or using the mouse pad to pick up a separate controller that you have to have by you to surf properly, big pain!!!! I was really disappointed I was really looking forward to the ease of typing but it's just not worth it. Maybe a future keyboard will have more thought put into it.

4.0 out of 5 stars L/R buttons not needed, December 28, 2009
Chris (Charlotte, NC, US) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Everyone has already commented about the pros on this keyboard so I will not go into any more detail on that. There are several reviews that talk about this keyboard not having the L/R buttons. I would like to address those concerns.

I assume most people want these buttons so they can go "back" and "forward" within the web browser. The PS3 has native support for this function when using a keyboard. Simply press "alt-left arrow" for back and "alt-right arrow" for forward. Also, you can press "backspace" to go back when you're not in a text box. "shift-backspace" will go forward.

Here is a link to the PS3 shortcut keys for the Internet Browser:

[...]

I have given this keyboard a 4/5 because I would prefer it to be an ergonomic style keyboard. That is just a personal preference. If that option were available this would be 5/5 for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good effort, needs a little more to be great, December 23, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have used Logitech keyboards and mice for nearly 10 years at work and at home. I currently have a cordless MX3200 keyboard and MX600 cordless mouse for the PC. I ordered this keyboard for my PS3 since using the game controller took way to long to enter passwords or navigate the web. Given my past experience with Logitech, I figured it would be a safe bet and it was given a few rough spots.
The good: It took about a minute to go through the steps to get the PS3 to recogize the unit (I love the wireless bluetooth). Fullsize keyboard, and touch pad(I use a blackberry 8830 everyday for work, I have fat thumbs that get tired)!
The needs improvement: it is a little "clunky" in so much the cursor trys to auto position when when using the touch pad, I have to use the game controller to zoom in and out on web pages, the power indicator stops flashing green after you start using it, so if you set it aside or get distracted paying for the pizza delivery, you can easily forget it is on and run down the batteries, lastly it is physically light, almost cheap feeling for a Logitech.
Overall, it works for me despite my complaints. I find it much easier to navigate the web using a full size keyboard which is all I really wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Workes great with Linux Ubuntu 9.10; $140 cheaper than logitech's diNovo Edge, November 9, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Update 1/7/12: After 3+ years I have dropped it so much. Maybe once a week it falls of the couch such as falling on the back rest, seat level; even my 20lb dog has walked on it a couple times when excited and playing. It is still ticking no problems, I have another one in my wish list to buy soon, just encase this one ever dies. Prices for the dinovo keyboard are still high at $157 so I'll stick with this one. It does not look like anything else better has come out which also has solid good reviews.

UPDATE 8/30/11: A friend wanted one so thought I would update the review since I sent him the link. Working on ubuntu 10.10 right now. Has worked fine on 11.04 before I downgraded back to LTS version. Has worked for years now. Would buy again in a heart beat.

12/13/2010 Has worked on two upgrades of ubuntu. I'm now on 10.10 Maverick and still love this thing. Since my purchase I'd say I go through batteries once a month or two and I just leave it on; the Auto power-off kicks in so you have to touch the mouse pad and wait 5 seconds to do something after watching a movie, etc but hey you don't have to remember to charge it like the edge or turn it off to avoid battery drain. It's great! Still the best so far and I have tossed this from couch to couch or as I'm walking out of the room onto the couch. I has probably fallen 2 dozen times. It's like a rock actually :)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
using it on a Fujitsu Laptop for my theater. etc from the couch :) No PS3 here just a computer with tons of cables coming off of it.

I sold my diNovo Edge which I loved with my theater when I sold my house. I like this keyboard better though; good thing I wanted to save a couple bucks!

Pros:
-Works just as well as the Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard but $100 cheaper.
-Works in about 1 1/2minutes with Linux Ubuntu 9.10 (the bluetooth is flawlessly easy)
-No charging needed (2 AA batteries have lasted a week so far and I'm typing with it now; also I have left it on over night half the days so it's been on for well over 100 hrs so far.
-No charger to place near the couch so I can reach the keyboard easily. I set the keyboard anywhere, which I think is my favorite thing about it so far.
-Mouse pad is exactly like a laptop or the diNovo edge keyboard PERFECT
-Way lighter than the diNovo
-batteries won't cost a fortune when the diNovo's lithium goes bad.

Cons:
-You have to use the shift key for Capital letters or keep track bc no light on the keyboard shows you when caps is on. Operating system can be setup to notify when CAPS is "on"
-No volume buttons so I set up hotkeys e.g. (ctrl & up arrow) under keyboard settings
-No built in hotkeys except PS3 stuff but problem solved above
-No back-lighting obviously to save battery life.

All in all I give it a 9.75 out of 10. Minus .25 because of no back lighting which I can live without, but an LED would run the batteries down so I understand why there is no lighting. I just have to trust when I come back to the keyboard it's not on caps. My best purchase rating of 2009 so far goes to this couch-man's dream machine.

UPDATE: 3 weeks (2 of which I left the power on to test) and it's still on the first set of batteries. No issues, I love this thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Use as Directed? Nah! Great for PCs, Not Just Playstation!, October 17, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I needed a wireless keyboard to use with my jury-rigged home theater PC (HTPC) setup, which is a Samsung NC10-14GB Netbook connected to a Sony Bravia L-Series KDL-32L5000 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV. It's not a cutting-edge setup, but I pretty much just use it for streaming video, so it works fine. I didn't think that it would be so hard to find something that met my requirements, but my search did take longer than I thought it would.

I definitely wanted something with an integrated trackball or touchpad, to eliminate the need for a separate mouse. The keyboard could not require line-of-sight, so IR/laser options were out. The netbook already had built-in Bluetooth connectivity, so I wanted to take advantage of that, and really did not want deal with interference issues common with standard 2.4GHz wireless. Something made by a company I know and trust would be a bonus. Clearly, I had already limited my options.

I'm already a big fan of Logitech's products, happily using their Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard and MX 518 Gaming Mouse with my desktop PC setup, so I figured looking at their offerings would be a good place to start. I found their Bluetooth keyboard selection, however, to be lacking. Their diNovo Edge Keyboard was too expensive, and required the use of docking station for recharging, and their diNovo Mini was too small. I also eliminated a bunch of no-name brands from here and other web sites, since none had really stellar reviews from other customers.

When I stumbled on Logitech's Mediaboard Pro here on Amazon, I was sold! Sure, it was designed for the Playstation 3, which I don't have, but Bluetooth is Bluetooth, right? It had an integrated touchpad, was from a reputable company, and wound up being same price as the no-name brands I found elsewhere. At this point, purchasing it was pretty much a no-brainer.

I've been using it for about a week now, and the performance has been great. It has worked perfectly from a range of about eight feet (not in line-of-sight) with no dropped keystrokes when typing. The touchpad is smooth and responsive. I was also happy to notice that it uses regular AA batteries (I'll be using SANYO eneloop Rechargeable Batteries when the included ones die out), and without a docking station like the diNovo Edge, it's easy just to stash away anywhere. I couldn't be any happier with this keyboard's performance!

But, if I had to find a fault with this keyboard, it would be that the glossy surface picks up fingerprints and smudges pretty easily, but they are easily removed with a soft cloth. Also, there is no numeric keypad, but I don't plan on entering data into spreadsheets with the thing, so no big loss there. Neither of these issues warranted the loss of star.

Since I don't have a Playstation 3, I have no way of testing this product for its intended use. But I can say that Logitech's Mediaboard Pro keyboard is a great choice for your HTPC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite nice keyboard for HT-PC, April 2, 2008
Harold R. Schatz "Rudi" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I got this keyboard to replace the Microsoft IR Media Center keyboard that I have. This former keyboard worked OK and had pretty good range, but you had to have line of site between the KB and the receiver and the mouse 'plunger' didn't work well. This new Logitech keyboard was very easy to install, has great range and the mouse pad is very usable. It's light-weight but doesn't feel cheap. It has an on/off switch, so I haven't encountered the annoying 'wake up delay' that other BT devices with power management have (just remember to turn it off when not in use to save battery power). No Start button, but just use Ctrl-Esc instead. Quite a good bargain for a BT keyboard. Don't forget to order a BT USB receiver for your PC since that doesn't come with the KB.

Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro