1,685 Reviews
 (1,104)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Buy
I bought this docking station for use while deployed to Iraq and I hijacked my wife's Amazon account to do it (smart, right?). It is surprisingly light and slim, especially considering the fullness, crispness, and volume of the sound that it produces. I have not been disappointed, particularly at this price point.

Features that I really like:
1. Dual...
Published on September 14, 2010 by Genevieve Sass

First let me say that, overall, I'm happy with this unit. Once I forget how much I paid for it, I think that I will enjoy it for some time to come. The sound quality is acceptable to good, and sometimes very good, which I will address further below.

Batteries

Published on September 8, 2011 by Mr Greenjeans

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Buy, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Logitech S715i Portable 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock (Electronics)

Features that I really like:
1. Dual voltage, which is great for overseas travel.
2. Comes with power adapter.
3. AUX-IN capability has been very useful for plugging in to my laptop for movies.
4. They did away with the iPod inserts, and the design ingeniously allows whatever iPod you insert to rest against a back stop, so that you aren't stressing the connector when you push on the iPod to control it.
5. Remote is simple on features but works very well even when not pointed directly at the unit.

Features that could still be improved:
1. The carry case is more like a dust cover. It is made from the same material those re-usable grocery bags are made from. I am not complaining that it doesn't come with something more substantial at this price, but I do hope that Logitech or some other manufacturer makes something with padding for those of us who travel a lot. I'd be happy to purchase it as an accessory.
2. The AC adapter would be even better if the prongs folded in, as many travel adapters do.
3. You can't use an iPod touch that has a case on it. The docking area narrows toward the bottom making the width a problem--even with slim fitting cases. This just means you have to have a case that comes off easily or one that has a detachable bottom.

Overall I give this a 5 star rating. I waited about a month and a half for this to be released based on initial industry industry reviews (CNET, etc.) and features; I am not disappointed. The sound is great. It is portable. It looks good. It is not extremely expensive. Those all add up to a real winner. I own a Bose Sound Dock (original) and feel that the sound is better on that speaker system--fuller bass and it fills the room a bit better, however the price was double and it is not portable. I challenge anyone to find something higher quality and more versatile for the $150 or under range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound, two gripes, September 19, 2010
Right out of the box and plugged in the unit produced very good sound. At first I thought the kickstand was flimsy and was not supporting the unit well. Another review here helped resolve this by pointing out that it needs to be pushed in harder than one may think, and then it really does lock in.

Appearance/design

I find that Logitech iPod speaker systems generally lack some elegance, but S715i looks a lot better than the previous attempts. Those searching for a more elegant system may wish to look at Altec Lansing products, but in my opinion Logitech beats Altec in sound quality. The trayless doc is a good new feature for Logitech.

Price-to-performance

The unit could have been priced higher and would still attract attention of many - it is really inexpensive for what it does.

Sound quality

The box produces full and clean sound with impressive for the size bass. Logitech "has got it going on" in the base area. On certain tracks the bass may feel a little too pounding. Also, at times I found the mids slightly lacking. Some listeners have compared the sound of this unit to that of Bose. It is a fair comparison. After listening to this Logitech unit for a few days I went to a store to listen to Bose SoundDock Portable, and I could not say that Bose sounded better. Listening in a store, where there is a level of noise, is not the same as at home, so it wasn't a good test.

The two gripes

Another reviewer said this already - why, oh why did Logitech decide that long run time on battery was more important than the sound quality? When unplugged, the sound deteriorates. The base and the fullness go away. It is not just the volume - it feels like the sub-system responsible for the lowest notes shuts down. I can imagine it takes quite a bit of power to drive those notes out of the box, but at least there could be an option to keep the same sound at expense of run time. Make no mistake - it is still better than OK sound, and there is quite a bit of bass left, but it's not quite the same. I like to carry these things from room to room, and I think this is a notable flaw. My second gripe is about remote control lacking full functionality - it is not able to control iPod menus. Logitech already had this in Pure-Fi Anywhere 2, why give it up now?

Bottom line

Very good unit which earned its place on my home office desk. It is bound to surprise some guests with the sound quality for the size and keep me and hopefully other family members good company from time to time. Big compliments to Logitech, this system does represent progress in small-size inexpensive sound systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose Sounddock portable vs. Logitech comparison, November 5, 2011
**UPDATE** This music system completely died on me. I'm not sure if it was a faulty product, but I was expecting it to last a long time. I used it sparingly and took good care of it. No water damage, no dropping it. It simply died. I'm thoroughly disappointed and don't trust the logitech brand much anymore. For 100 dollars, I was expecting a high quality, long lasting product.

Let me begin by saying that I am an owner of a Bose Sounddock portable. I've had it for almost one year now, and decided I wanted another ipod music system for my library. I read many reviews about the Logitech s715i and decided to make a purchase. I have had it for almost two days now, and have compared it closely to the Bose. Overall, I have concluded that this system is very competitive to the Bose. The sound quality is very comparable, however, the Bose still sounds better overall. I tested both systems in the same room, the same location, with the same songs, the same volume levels, and stood at the same distance to compare the two. The result's are below. Let me also add that I am not an audiophile at all, but I know good sound when I hear it.

I compared the two systems using the following criteria : highs, mids, lows, maximum volume, portability, and value

Highs : Logitech Wins (The highs are very clear and crisp, and more pronounced compared to the Bose. The Bose is very clear also, just slightly muted. Some songs sound better on the Logitech for this reason, but the Bose still sounds great with any type of music.)

Mids : Logitech Wins (The Mids are also very clear. The Logitech has a slight edge in mids. I was able to hear many subtleties in the music, in the vocals, and they were more pronounced and slightly louder than the Bose. Once again, this is a slight difference. It was hard to choose between the two.)

Lows : Bose Wins (Here is where I think the Bose stands out, especially at low volumes. The bass on the Bose beats the Logitech, but it is still a very close match. It seems that some songs I tested sound better on the Bose. The wave guide technology comes through. The bass is much more resonant, rich, and punchy without drowning out the music. I tested both systems in exactly the same area, and the Bose won most of the time. However, I was very impressed with the Logitech also. The bass is excellent for many types of music, and I was very surprised in the sound quality from a system that is almost $300 dollars cheaper.)

Maximum Volume : Bose Wins (You can really crank up the Bose very high and blast it without it being distorted. However, I did find some distortion with certain styles of music that have louder bass. Overall, the sound is very stable, and sounds great at high volumes. I was disappointed in the maximum volume the Logitech could put out. Although I could hear the music, I just couldn't crank it up, and really test it out. It is overall weaker than the Bose. However, It still sounds amazing, and can easily fill up a small to mid-size room with no problems.)

Portability : Bose Easily Wins (The battery on the Bose is by far superior to the Logitech. As suspected, running the Logitech on battery alone significantly reduces the sound quality. It's a nice feature, but it's not very impressive. Both systems are very easy to carry around, and the Logitech is much lighter, but needs to be plugged in to enjoy the full sound.)

Value : Logitech (The Logitech is an excellent value. I'm impressed. For the price, I don't think you will find a better system. The Bose is obviously much more expensive, partly because of the name. However, it is a very solid ipod music system and lives up to it's hefty price tag overall.

Other Pros : Both systems are a very small and pack a ton of sound for the size. I'm equally impressed with how both perform, and how easy they are to move around. Both are very sturdy, but I still have to see how the Logitech holds up over time.

Other Cons : As others have stated, the docking station on the Logitech is very constricted, and you must remove your iphone case in order to access it. Also, the remote on the Logitech is very basic, and too small.

Overall : Both systems are very nice. They are very similar in sound. The Logitech is an outstanding value for the price. I have to admit that I am very impressed with the Logitech system overall. I bought it for a little over $100. Compared to Bose's $400 price tag, the Logitech is an excellent value. However, it's not quite at the same level of sound quality as the Bose. That is my personal opinion. If you are able to afford the Bose, you should buy it. I think it's a better system. I love it. I also love the Logitech though, and time will really give me a good idea of how it performs and lasts. If you are on a budget, the Logitech is an excellent buy.

I am very satisfied with both systems, and would highly recommend both to anyone. I am planning to use both for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent full range sound, September 12, 2010
W. H. Watford (Birmingham, Al USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this model a few days, having waited months after reading rave reviews from preview electronic shows. It was worth the wait. I love a wide range of music, and am picky about sound quality. This speaker system is absolutely remarkable. I've listened to James Taylor, Luciano Pavarotti, Mozart's Requiem, Earth Wind and Fire, REM, among others and all of these sound wonderful, with crisp highs, resonant base notes, and a warmth in the mid-range that I've not ever heard from any portable player, including CD players, much less from compressed digital formats. It sounds better than my Bose Wave Radio/CD player, which I keep in my office. My son, a musician, walked downstairs and just looked at the small player in astonishment, thinking I had been playing our main sound system (built in speakers throughout the house). I love this little speaker system so much, that I've already ordered a second one. It is smaller than I expected, which is a plus. You could easily slip it into a suitcase. The design is handsome, but I agree that the little stand doesn't snap into place tightly. This hasn't been a problem, however, and I've not had the stand collapse. I strongly recommend this player to anyone who has been longing for excellent sound reproduction from a portable model.

UPDATE: After I wrote this I realized that the cover door, which flips back to make the stand, does snap securely if you just push it hard enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Word on Batteries - What to do if Your Unit Stops Holding Charge - And a Couple of Other Things, September 8, 2011
Mr Greenjeans (PA ,United States) - See all my reviews

Batteries

This unit comes with one replaceable pre-installed NiMH (Nickel Hydride) battery pack. To access it, reference the included instructions, on a secondary piece of paper in the box, for how to remove the backplate. Once you remove the screws, play with the plate from the top. Its sticky due to two plastic tabs at the bottom, but it will detach once the two screws are removed. If your unit stops working due to perceived battery issues, then it is essential to know that you can replace the battery pack. The pack is comprised of 3 NIMH AA batteries sealed in plastic with a connector. You can currently buy a replacement pack from the Logitech "Parts Shop" for $5. Or you can hunt around. But currently the best option seems to be to buy from the logitech store, especially due to the low price.

***The one thing that you have to know, to ensure the longest life and maximum continued capacity for your batteries in this unit, is that the type of battery used in it requires full discharge and full charge cycles. That is, if you don't fully discharge the battery and fully charge it every time that you decide to charge it, you will shorten the life of the battery and perhaps even its capacity. This is specific to NIMH batteries.***

Now, a critique on the common sense of using NiMH batteries in this speaker unit, which is designed for small apple devices. Apple devices all use Li-Ion batteries. Across the board, Li-Ion rechargeable batteries offer superior practicality and performance to NiMH rechargeable batteries.

The primary advantages of Li-Ion batteries:

1.For one, they can be recharged and discharged many more times than can NiMH batteries. NiMH batteries are said to average just 150 charges, under the best of care and conditions, before death. Most will not reach that number of cycles. Li-Ion batteries can be charged/discharged up to twice as much. Why this is relevant: Most people who buy this unit will not read this review and will not realize that the battery can be replaced. They will simply discard the unit when the battery dies. The average teenager or grandma reading this won't even realize that there is a backplate, as it is blends in well on the back of the unit, and removal instructions aren't listed on the primary instructions but rather on a smaller piece of irrelevant looking paper in the box. The fact that battery death equals unit death, for most people, is evident here with some of the reviews where people have said as much. Therefore, failure of low max charge/discharge NiMH batteries equals unit death for most people.

2. Li-Ion batteries have a lower self-discharge rate. The batteries will hold their charge when you aren't using them. Aren't you happy when you haven't used your Ipod in a month, and you come back and the battery is still full? NiMH batteries discharge up to 50% per month. Li-Ions average discharge at a rate of 1-3% per month in a worst case scenario. This is especially important to people who may be traveling away from the modern convenience of a wall outlet for extended periods. Li-Ion batteries are just more practical for true portable use.

3. The necessity to fully discharge and charge these NIMH batteries to preserve their longevity and function, versus the ability to charge and discharge Li-Ion batteries to the degree desired without effecting their function. These batteries simply require more thought and strategy into maintaining them. I would much preserve Li-Ion batteries that do not require me to strategize for their use and recharging cycles. For example: a situation when I know that I am going camping but I also know that the battery pack on this unit is half full. What do I do? Play the device to wear down the battery before I charge it? Leave with the battery half charged? Or, perhaps, I charge it with the battery already half full, knowing that I am likely reducing the function of the battery in doing so. All three are sub-optimal solutions and require some type of thought or sacrifice. It may sound like I'm nitpicking but, seriously, Logitech using better batteries would allow for more carefree use of their product as well as a longer lifespan of the product for most users.

4. Being that this is a portable unit, which many people will use on extended trips like hotel stays, camping, etc..., and its designed for use with the ipod and iphone, would it not make sense to use the same batteries as the devices that it was designed for? The reason for this logic is that you don't have to also haul around multiple types of portable recharging units. Small portable recharging units can be expensive and relatively bulky. It helps to just have to just one that is able to recharge all of the devices that have to do with your small communications and entertainment media use, and on similar time tables. If this device is meant to be truly compatible with the iphone/ipod, then it should use the same battery. Even if the battery could be recharged from the same portable recharging unit, the difference in capacity and charging times makes the use of NiMH inconvenient when used alongside the rechargeable Li-Ion batteries in the other small devices that this unit was designed to be used with.

Notes: Li-Ion batteries are in use in the Bose version of the same type of portable ipod speaker system. Therefore, Li-Ions are perfectly capable of powering systems like this.

When not in use, NiMH batteries have better shelf life than Li-Ion batteries. 5 years vs 3 years. But most people will use their units and therefore will burn the NiMH batteries out more quickly.

The battery issue isn't a deal breaker, especially once you realize that they can be replaced, but this being a relatively expensive portable speaker unit, I would have hoped that they wouldn't have gone so cheap on the battery pack. It is inconvenient in a lot of practical ways.

Some other small things:

1. Who doesn't keep their Ipod in a case? This unit leaves no room for even a very thin and sleek leather case to be left around the Ipod when plugged into the unit. When I'm using this unit outdoors, the last thing that I want to do is take my ipod out of its protective case. But that is what is required to plug it into this unit, unless you forgo the option of using the remote control and plug the Iphone/ipod directly into the 3.5 jack in the back. At least there is that option, and I will unfortunately likely use it more than directly plugging the Ipod into the pin jack. At a party, outdoors, with kids and pets around, most people would be ill-advised to leave their Ipod unprotected. Even 1/3 of an inch would have helped on either side of the slot where the Ipod goes. Hopefully, with the next version, Logitech will be more practical.

2. I realize that this is a portable unit. However, the size does limit the sound quality. No matter how good the technology, there is a limit to how much sound that you can get out of smaller sized speakers and a small sound chamber. Sometimes, I think that this unit sounds amazingly clear in the mid and upper ranges. Impressively so. The base is great, for the size. No complaints there. However, depending on the track, it can sound tinny. But overall, for the size, the sound is very good. BUT, for the size, I think that it is overpriced. A small unit like this, with the sound quality and battery pack considerations, feels like it should cost $65 at the most. At $65, I would feel like I got my money's worth. At $113, I feel like I got a very satisfactory to very good unit that was overpriced.

3. The remote: Small and cheap for $113. There isn't even an option to scroll through the menu. It's just volume, play, pause, repeat and shuffle. I expect the remote to get lost in due time due to its too-small size.

That's about it. Once I forget what I paid, which will likely be soon, as it always is, I will be happy. Also, having figured out options to deal with the battery issue, I will be fine there as well. I just hope that others do, and the ones that have already discarded their units due to failed batteries either read this review or contact Logitech.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great size, great sound!, September 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 9:03 Mins

Here's my video review, at the end I play a few types of music, though keeping my video under 10 minutes only let me do a few snippets! I didn't cover the one downside in my video because I think it's just too difficult to tell the difference when you're not listening to it in person.

Otherwise, I really love this ipod dock. It's replace a larger speaker/ipod dock system I had that weighed a TON, but sounded awesome. That dock(a different brand) had stopped working properly, so I put it in the attic and this will be it's replacement. I love music and I listen to it at least a few hours a day. I'm a big fan of it's portability, so I can take it around the house or outside if I want, though I personally will use it mostly at home and plugged in. I'm not really the type who brings music camping or to the beach.

I tried an app on my iphone called top 100s by year by bing to play music, and it worked nicely. When doing my video review I forgot I do use that app in a pinch since it plays full songs.

The only downside I've found so far:
When you're running on rechargeable batteries, you lose some of the bass & that rich fullness, because the speakers are going in to conservation mode so it will last for 8 hours of play time. I won't really use it much in the unplugged situations, and if I am, I don't want to blast people's ears out anyway. So you really have to decide for yourself if that really full sound is needed in an unplugged setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips DS7550 vs. Logitcch S715i, November 30, 2010
MW "MW" (Del Rio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased both the Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black) and the Logitech S715i Rechargeable Speaker for iPod and iPhoneto choose one as a travel speaker when I want something more substantial than my ALTEC LANSING iM207 Orbit-MP3. Here is a quick comparison.

-Build quality. Both are very solid and seem like they will hold up well. The Logitech seemed slightly more substantial, but I see no problem with tossing either in a suitcase for traveling. One thing to note, the Philips will accommodate an iPhone 4 in a bumper case while you have to take the phone out of the case for the Logitech.

-Size. While the dimensions don't look that much different between the two, the Logitech is substantially bigger and somewhat heavier. I can't picture carrying the Logitech in a daypack, but it would be doable with the Philips.

-Sound quality. At low volume levels, the Logitech had a slightly fuller sound. At high volume levels operating on battery power the Logitech again had a slight edge. At high volume levels while plugged in, there was no comparison. The Logitech rocked louder and with a much deeper bass. It seemed as though when you unplugged the Logitech that the bass boost was shut off.

In the end I chose the Philips. Since both will be plenty loud for a hotel room where most of my listening would be done, I chose the Philips for it's much smaller size and portability. For poolside where they'll be running off battery, the sound difference wasn't substantial enough to choose the larger Logitech. However, if you're going to be using mainly AC and want the best sound, choose the Logitech. While it's larger than the Philips, it's certainly not too large to bring to a party at a friend's house or similar usage and offers a fuller sound. For air travel and packing in your luggage though, the Philips is a much less bulky package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Ipod Speaker for the PRICE!!!! Couldn't be happier., October 27, 2010
I looked into a couple of speakers like the Altec Lansing IMT620, Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere, Klipsch Groove SXT and the Logitech S715i which I own. First of all let me start by saying that I expected to see the Klipsch blow away all of these speakers since Klipsch makes good high-end products. This is not the case. The Klipsch does not have enough bass in my opinion. Then I was inclined to buy the Altec IMT620 since it was only 88 dollars. I have used this product before and it is a quality product with lots of features like FM and a battery. I took a risk and bought the S715i seeing it had won an editor's choice award in CNET. When I got this speaker I couldn't believe my ears. It has a umph sound that non of these other speakers have. I was told the Logitech Pure-fi would go as loud as this one but that is not true. It doesn't get even close to the volume this baby puts out. The battery on this speaker is perfect although it will sound lower if used with the battery instead of plugged in. I you are looking for a quality sounding speaker that is not BOSE which is overpriced in my opinion, and yes I have tested it, then get yourself one of these. It even brings a remote and a bag to carry it around.

2.0 out of 5 stars Déjà vu - Ground Hog Day, November 19, 2010
Pros: Amazing Sound when plugged in, Nice Looking

Cons: Faulty Battery. Switches off intermittently when on Battery, WEAK REMOTE FUNCTIONALITY

Update: As mentioned by people who posted their reply for my review, having the volume at less than 80% seems to solve the issue of the speakers switching off. This again is not 100% guaranteed but the switching off frequency is lesser.

I had a Logitech Pure-FI Anywhere 2 and was happy with the sound etc till it started having issues after 1 year. 2 Buttons -Volume / Power- broke and finally volume used to cut-off every 5 minutes. Logitech was good enough to give part money refund.

A smart guy would have used it on another brand, unluckily I read glowing reviews about S715i and assumed that Logitech would have solved the problems in S715i.

I plugged the S715i and switched it on. It sounded great. I will even say Amazing since I am not exactly an audiophile.

Tried the stand after reading some reviews about the stand not "seating!!?" properly. It snaps back with a little force. My 8 year old can do it, so you need not be a body builder. It also stood perfectly in my coffee table. No falling over etc.

So far so good / great!!.

Took out the remote and it has very limited functionality Volume and Forward/Backward) but good range. The older pure-fi has the Menu and other buttons to control the IPOD but had a very weak signal/range. I don't know why they didn't retain that functionality while improving the range Cost Cutting ?? - Sick of hearing this word everywhere - Work,Home etc!. Anyhow this has already been specified by most reviewers so I was OK with it.

Removed the power supply, sounded OK with much less Bass for 10 minutes and then it switched off. I thought it was because of the battery not being charged. The LED was green when I switched it back on - According to the manual it should be green when it is charged or > 40% battery.

Connected the power supply again. Let it charge for more than 8 hours. Removed the power supply, LED is GREEN - so GOOD to GO! Again after 5 - 10 minutes, it switched off. Switch it back on again and LED is still GREEN!!!

Déjà Vu ! Same issues as Pure-FI Anywhere 2. Tried all tricks like Energy Save Off, Volume Limit OFF 2 year experience with Logitech docks and Customer Service answers/resolutions??!. Nothing seems to solve this problem. The most irritating part is that it is intermittent and switches off even when the song/music is in full blast.

Caveat Emptor-most of the issues with Logitech docks happens after 6 - 12 months but I have started facing it within a week! The longer you use it, the probability of it happening increases exponentially.

So if it is working fine for you, keep your finger crossed. You probably have good KARMA and you will not have any issues.

Otherwise, like me, you might have to 1) bang your head on the wall 1st time purchase is a mistake - 2nd time I should get a mental checkup done! 2) hope your replacement is approved and the replacement is better

I am still giving it 2 stars instead of 1 because when connected to the power supply it is working and the sound is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Great Sound, November 25, 2010
From the start I was impressed by the great sound this small unit could produce. That being said and never being satisfied I was intrigued by the Bose Sound Dock Portable so for hundreds of dollar more purchased that unit too. I ended up returning the Bose Sound Dock Portable since although the sound was still good on the Bose, for some reason I thought the Logitech sounded slightly better or at worst the same as the Bose. I own several Bose products (wave radio / CD, Computer & home audio speakers) so actually a Bose fan. I really couldn't tell the difference that much between the sounds of these 2 units, but the nagging feeling that I spent $400 on the Bose vs $120 for this Logitech unit, made me eventually return the Bose. The Logitech unit does everything the Bose does (even in sound), but it does it for so much less.

Also another plus is you can still plug in your IPhone with a case installed without having to remove it like you have to do for the Bose system (not enough clearance in that system).

11/4/11 update - I see now that Logitech has the Blutooth version of this unit, so it seems appealing, but I want to try out that new Bose equivalent version too to see what all the hype is about.