4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design and function with only one missing feature
The Logitech Professional Presenter R800 is one of those tools you didn't realize you needed until you get one in your hands.

Published on September 23, 2009 by M. Erb

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Flaw
Published on January 22, 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design and function with only one missing feature, September 23, 2009
This review is from: Logitech Professional Presenter R800 with Green Laser Pointer (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

For any person doing presentations, this little unit is a wonderful device. Ergonomically, the design is perfect. It is small in size, light in weight and just fits in your hand perfectly. Indentations on the various buttons let you easily find the correct button without looking during your presentation. On the left edge is the on/off sliding switch. On the right edge are two buttons. One of the buttons is for controlling the start/pause of the presentation timer, the other is for setting the presentation duration timer. On the face of the device are 5 buttons. The top button operates the green laser. Immediately below that wide button are two narrower, but taller buttons that control the movement forward or backward through the presentation. And below that are two slightly smaller buttons that control launching the presentation and, if the application supports it, going to a black screen.

The green laser is bright and relatively sharp. It actually is not a pinpoint sharp light like some other laser pointers, but rather a bit more diffuse. This works out to be an advantage because the lit area becomes a bit larger in diameter, albeit less "sharp", which makes seeing the laser on your screen easier. It really is better than an intensely bright tiny spot. And as compared to the Kensington pointer device I recently reviewed, Kensington 33374 Wireless Presenter with Laser Pointer, it was much brighter overall thus more effective.

One of my favorite and most useful features of the R800 is the timer function. Not only do you get a visual indication of the relative amount of time left, by a series of gradually diminishing lines, you also get a silent vibration in the device at 5, 2 and 0 minute markers. This is so handy and helpful that it has become indispensable to me.

The USB receiver stores nicely inside the R800.

I have used the R800 on my PC ACER laptop with no issues.

Concerning Apple computers however, Logitech does not officially state that this is meant for use on a Mac. However it will work with most Macs as best I can determine. I've tried it with four different Macs.

On my 24", 2.16GHz iMac with Snow Leopard (and previously with Leopard) operating system, it did not work at all. But then I read about a possible conflict with the Logitech Control Center which is used for controlling Logitech keyboards, mice, trackballs, etc. I happen to use the Logitech Marble Mouse with my iMac and had the Logitech Control Center v3.10 control panel installed. When I plugged the USB receiver into my USB port, it was not recognized and thus the R800 did not work with the iMac. However, as soon as I uninstalled the LCC software (using the uninstaller that was in my Utilities folder) the R800 receiver did work.

It also worked perfectly using IBM's Lotus Symphony presentation software with my 2.4GHz MacBook running Snow Leopard.

On an old 1.6GHz PPC G4 iMac running OSX 10.5.8 and PowerPoint from Microsoft Office 2004, it worked except for the start presentation button. But manually starting the presentation then using the R800 to go forward and backward worked. With Neo-Office v3.0, it worked perfectly... even the start presentation button.

I also tried on a 1.2GHz PPC G4 iBook with OSX 10.5.8 and it also worked just like on the old iMac with Microsoft Office 2004.

Whether the start presentation button works or not seems to depend on the application you use for the presentation rather than the model of computer you are using.

Bottom line is check before you buy or it may not work with your particular Mac, though it does work on the all of the ones I tried it with. If it does not work on your Mac, then check to see if you have Logitech Control Center installed (check your System Preferences panel > Other)

Logitech should be more forthcoming with the actual state of affairs as it pertains to Mac compatibility and compatibility with Logitech Control Center software but in the meantime, don't assume it will work unless you can corroborate that with someone who has already had success with it on a Mac using the same model.

The only major omission in my opinion is the lack of backlighting on the R800 LCD display. It would be desirable to have backlighting on the unit when operating in dimly lit rooms.

This is a wonderful little device that stands heads and shoulders above its competition such as the Kensington Wireless Presenter Kensington 33374 Wireless Presenter with Laser Pointer. However it costs nearly twice as much as the Kensington. For my money, it's worth the extra cost as it has a better ergonomic design and more useful features.

I give it a solid 4 stars. Why not 5 stars? Because it really needs a backlit display and it is quite extraordinary to me that the Logitech R800 device is incompatible with Logitechs' own Logitech Control Center software on the Mac. Nevertheless, this is one terrific pointing/timing/control device for presentations.

5.0 out of 5 stars All buttons work perfectly on MAC (Keynote and Microsoft PowerPoint), April 6, 2011
Naderi (Boston, USA) - See all my reviews
I use MAC OS X, Snow Leopard 10.6.6. By default , all buttons worked correctly on Microsoft Powerpoint and Keynote except the Play button (start button) which didn't work on Keynote.
To fix this, you need to open System Preferences, select the Keyboard & Mouse panel, and then select the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Click the Plus button to assign a new shortcut and a new panel appears. Add Keynote as the application (you'll have to scroll to the bottom of the list, select Other... and then find where Keynote is installed). In the Menu Title section, type "Play Slideshow" and then assign this to the keyboard shortcut of F5. When you then restart Keynote, you can click on the View menu and you will see that "Play slideshow" is now linked to the F5 shortcut (instead of the default Command-Option-P).
Now all the buttons of Logitech Professional Presenter R800 ( I think also R400), work perfectly and without any problem on Keynote too. Hence, this presenter device will completely work on MAC OS X, if you apply the above trick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Presentation Tool, August 23, 2009
JDP (Margaritaville) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Coming out of the box, the first thing that caught my attention was the ergonomic feel of the Logitech R800. Once I popped in the two AAA batteries I removed the on board receiver and plugged it directly into my laptop's USB port. With no software downloads to concern myself with, the system was up and running in no time. The R800 operates via Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 platform.

Button navigation begins with the sliding on and off switch located on the side. The back/forward and on/off black screen buttons are placed on the top. Control is at your fingertips. I found that even in a darkened room, the indented buttons are easy to navigate. With its built in timer, the LCD display is clean and simple. A great time management tool is the vibrating alarm with three settings (5/3/0 minutes). It also displays battery strength and reception levels.

I put the R800 to the test with a matted wall screen in a lighted room. The green laser's projection was bright and visible from all points. The second day, I worked with an LCD screen. Again the same outstanding results. The manufacturer boasts of an operating range of 100 feet. The most that I could garner straight on was a maximum operating distance of about 50 feet. Anything past that and it was touch and go. Still not too bad.

The R800 is powered by two AAA batteries. If its anything like its predecessor, battery consumption should be low. This model is backed by the manufacturer's 3 year limited warranty. The R800 is packaged with a foam zipper case, user information, (2) AAA batteries and of course the on board receiver. The unit's exterior is a black finish.

With all of its bells and whistles, an illuminated LCD display would have made this the perfect go to device. Even without that overlooked feature, I remain very impressed with the Logitech R800. It is an excellent presentation tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great presentation tool, but...., December 9, 2009
I had been using a Logitech 2.4 GHz Cordless Presenter for about a year and decided it was time to try an R800. The R800 is a very nice presentation tool that I use every day. I like the brighter green laser pointer and one major improvement over the previous model - the ability to set the timer in multiples of 1 minute, as opposed to 5 minute (under an hour) or 10 minute (over an hour) increments. The bad news is that the previous laser pointer reliably counted down to its designated time. So far, every time I have used the R800, I inadvertently hit the timer pause button in the middle of the class. About the time I expect to get a reminder buzz, I look at the pointer and discover I stopped it 20 minutes earlier... That cost one star, but I hope I'll adjust to avoid this in the future

Both pointers work well with my Windows XP PC and MacBook Pro (running MacOS AND Parallels). Battery life is long enough for any of my needs (average use of 10+ hours/week for more than a semester)

Followup after three years (3/2/13): I two 2 1/2 hour classes per week and a couple of shorter ones and have been using this pointer for every one of them. I use rechargable batteries and get one lecture out of a charge. Now the bad news: The on-off switch isn't terribly well made. I have recently gone to flip to the next slide and find the pointer is turned off. After 3 years of use, the resistance to turning the switch off is gone - it just slips off by itself. Since I use the timer to remind me when the lecture is over, switching off power and forgetting the timer setting is a hassle.

I have searched around for another choice, but this still seems to be the best option, despite the shortcomings. I like the bright green laser and the countdown timer, so I guess I will have to buy another one (interesting how it got flakey right after the 3 years of use...)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Flaw, January 22, 2010
I had to return this to the manufacturer for a refund. Why? There is a button called "start presentation" that alternately generates an ESC and F5.the ESC takes you out of presentation mode, the F5 restarts the presentation from the beginning. This button is very near the "back" button and I accidentally push it approximately once an hour. This completely messes up my presentation - and there is no way to disable the button. Thus I cannot use this during a professional presentation - it is just about guaranteed to create an unprofessional event for me, and I do presentations for a living. So as much as I love every other part of this device, I had returned it to Logitec and ask my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, best-in-class product., September 17, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Logitech is fast becoming one of my favorite small computer electronics manufacturer and this Professional Presenter R800 solidifies their reputation.

High Kudos to Logitech for their packaging design which is outstanding. I am used to wielding a knife (and all its attendant dangers) or a pair of scissors to break open the plastic covering around most products these days. Logitech, bless 'em, shipped the R800 in what they call an "Easy Open" plastic enclosure that requires only a slight bit of effort to open along scored lines around the edge. I wish more manufacturers would use this as I can't tell you how many packages and fingers I've mutilated trying to get to the goods.

Now to functionality and the R800 doesn't disappoint. I speak regularly to groups of computer technicians and my first rule of public speaking is simple, yet difficult to implement: Every presenter is the Wizard of Oz. People are so often used to bad public speaking that the mention of PowerPoint instantly sends people into comas. The Wizard of Oz may be a charlatan in the movie but you're not going to be bored in his presence and you just may walk away with some good information. It's a show ... my point in this rambling interlude is, as a presenter, you have to put on a show. Something that provides at least one of the three things that Robert Ardrey in his book The Territorial Imperative says we all seek: identity, stimulus, and security. (We avoid: anonymity, boredom, and anxiety.)

Here's where the R800 comes in: it does no good for your audience to see the inner workings of "The Show". No one who attends a movie theater wants to be given a lecture on how the projector works. Toto pulled apart the wizard's curtain and spoiled the effect for Dorothy and her band of travelers. As a presenter, if you're seen to fumble with the tools of the presentation, you spoil that effect. Trying to fidget with a remote control device spoils the effect. All focus should be on you and your words and, to a lesser extent, on the supporting material on the screen.

The R800 is discreet, contoured to fit easily in the hand; it is easy to use sightlessly without the ungainly button fumbling--I can't count how many times the PowerPoint presenter advances slides too far ahead of his talk "oops, didn't mean to do that!" or can't figure out how to go back a slide or two without looking at his hand. Speaking of buttons, they are molded just right. The advance button is obviously to the right of the reverse but is also differentiated by having a raised dot for feeling. All the buttons are clustered close together so they are all easily reachable and operated by the thumb.

The underside covering on the R800 is a pleasing matte black material which feels smooth in the hand but at the same time affords a nice grip. The USB receiver dongle fits nicely in the body of the R800, unlike many other devices where you have to keep track of both the transmitter and receiver independently. Not a big deal, perhaps, but it shows a certain level of intelligent design.

Others have made a case against the R800 for not coming through on its promise of a range. Poppycock! As a test, I walked about 70 feet away from my desk while my colleague kept looking at my screen as I pressed the necessary buttons; it worked a treat. 70 feet is well within the promised range, however what surprised me was that I was completely out of the office--my desk is in a cubicle farm--and outside . The signal was traveling through a door with a small window in it, through one wall and then several cubicle walls to the receiver. I don't care what you think, that's impressive.

This one gets my very highest recommendation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Pointing, Advancing, and Rolling off the Podium, May 4, 2011
Length:: 3:38 Mins

This is a quick tour of the Logitech R800 Professional Pointer. It is certainly better than nothing and probably better than most other pointers, but it does have a few quirks in its design--especially for someone with large hands and an active presenting style.

Update September 1, 2011: The battery compartment cover is loose on my unit, which sometimes causes a distraction to the user. In fact, one of my students who borrowed this thing actually had the battery cover slip off and clatter to the floor while he was presenting. Fortunately, he didn't let the mishap bother him much, but it was a mishap that never should have happened. That is why I downgraded my previous rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Professional Controller Mac compatibility, December 17, 2013
After reading multiple sources about compatibility with a Mac I bought it. It was NOT compatible at all. Returned it

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice presentation helper, October 1, 2009
It works as advertised. I checked with Vista SP2 (OpenOffice Impress 3.1.1), MacPro (sold earlier this year) MS Office Powerpoint, and Ubuntu 9.04 OpenOffice Impress. Vista and Ubuntu worked all buttons perfectly but slide show start button did not work in Mac OS X (manually start then other buttons worked - previous/next and blank buttons).
The reason for 4 stars is that the laser power is not that strong (around 3 mW power) that I wish for higher (around 5 mW) powered green laser. Legal issue with 5 mW class lasers?

Update (Apr 2012)
Although I have not used heavily, it still works fine. I just plug in to any laptops around me when I need to present something and I never had troubling using it with any systems so far (Windows, Linux, and Mac boxes).

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, March 31, 2010
Dean Baird (Sacramento, California) - See all my reviews
I own the Logitech 2.4 GHz Cordless Presenter and loved the USB receiver storage, timer function, and volume control. Blackout was nice, too. It was plug-n-play on my Powerbook and MacBook Pro. I used it heavily and it held up great.

Alas, I dropped it once and while still usable, it was cracked and the on/off switch got funky to operate.

When I saw the R800, I was delighted. Finally, a usable laser pointer built in. And a more flexible timer.

But when I got the product and put it to use, a stream of disappointments began to flow.

1. The computer thought I was connecting a new keyboard and wanted to go through a setup procedure. This never happened with the old model, so I blame Logitech, not Apple.

2. No volume control? Why are we moving backward on the feature set, Logitech?

3. The blackout button forces Keynote presos to stop/exit. The blackout button on the old model worked fine.

4. The Start button doesn't work in Keynote. It didn't on the old model, either.

5. The laser is, yet again, a weakened version of what it ought to be. Sorry, I use real green laser pointers all the time. They throw a bright, robust beam. By comparison, the R800's green beam is a tepid trickle. The red laser on the old model was completely useless, but I had real hopes for the green laser on the R800.

If you've never used a wireless remote for presentation control, and use a PC to show PowerPoint presos (exclusively), this product may be acceptable. Otherwise keep looking.

Rate and Discover Movies