Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on April 6, 2011
I use MAC OS X, Snow Leopard 10.6.6. By default , all buttons worked correctly on Microsoft Powerpoint and Keynote except the Play button (start button) which didn't work on Keynote.
To fix this, you need to open System Preferences, select the Keyboard & Mouse panel, and then select the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Click the Plus button to assign a new shortcut and a new panel appears. Add Keynote as the application (you'll have to scroll to the bottom of the list, select Other... and then find where Keynote is installed). In the Menu Title section, type "Play Slideshow" and then assign this to the keyboard shortcut of F5. When you then restart Keynote, you can click on the View menu and you will see that "Play slideshow" is now linked to the F5 shortcut (instead of the default Command-Option-P).
Now all the buttons of Logitech Professional Presenter R800 ( I think also R400), work perfectly and without any problem on Keynote too. Hence, this presenter device will completely work on MAC OS X, if you apply the above trick.
1313 comments| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Logitech Professional Presenter R800 is one of those tools you didn't realize you needed until you get one in your hands.

For any person doing presentations, this little unit is a wonderful device. Ergonomically, the design is perfect. It is small in size, light in weight and just fits in your hand perfectly. Indentations on the various buttons let you easily find the correct button without looking during your presentation. On the left edge is the on/off sliding switch. On the right edge are two buttons. One of the buttons is for controlling the start/pause of the presentation timer, the other is for setting the presentation duration timer. On the face of the device are 5 buttons. The top button operates the green laser. Immediately below that wide button are two narrower, but taller buttons that control the movement forward or backward through the presentation. And below that are two slightly smaller buttons that control launching the presentation and, if the application supports it, going to a black screen.

The green laser is bright and relatively sharp. It actually is not a pinpoint sharp light like some other laser pointers, but rather a bit more diffuse. This works out to be an advantage because the lit area becomes a bit larger in diameter, albeit less "sharp", which makes seeing the laser on your screen easier. It really is better than an intensely bright tiny spot. And as compared to the Kensington pointer device I recently reviewed, Kensington 33374 Wireless Presenter with Laser Pointer, it was much brighter overall thus more effective.

One of my favorite and most useful features of the R800 is the timer function. Not only do you get a visual indication of the relative amount of time left, by a series of gradually diminishing lines, you also get a silent vibration in the device at 5, 2 and 0 minute markers. This is so handy and helpful that it has become indispensable to me.

The USB receiver stores nicely inside the R800.

I have used the R800 on my PC ACER laptop with no issues.

Concerning Apple computers however, Logitech does not officially state that this is meant for use on a Mac. However it will work with most Macs as best I can determine. I've tried it with four different Macs.

On my 24", 2.16GHz iMac with Snow Leopard (and previously with Leopard) operating system, it did not work at all. But then I read about a possible conflict with the Logitech Control Center which is used for controlling Logitech keyboards, mice, trackballs, etc. I happen to use the Logitech Marble Mouse with my iMac and had the Logitech Control Center v3.10 control panel installed. When I plugged the USB receiver into my USB port, it was not recognized and thus the R800 did not work with the iMac. However, as soon as I uninstalled the LCC software (using the uninstaller that was in my Utilities folder) the R800 receiver did work.

It also worked perfectly using IBM's Lotus Symphony presentation software with my 2.4GHz MacBook running Snow Leopard.

On an old 1.6GHz PPC G4 iMac running OSX 10.5.8 and PowerPoint from Microsoft Office 2004, it worked except for the start presentation button. But manually starting the presentation then using the R800 to go forward and backward worked. With Neo-Office v3.0, it worked perfectly... even the start presentation button.

I also tried on a 1.2GHz PPC G4 iBook with OSX 10.5.8 and it also worked just like on the old iMac with Microsoft Office 2004.

Whether the start presentation button works or not seems to depend on the application you use for the presentation rather than the model of computer you are using.

Bottom line is check before you buy or it may not work with your particular Mac, though it does work on the all of the ones I tried it with. If it does not work on your Mac, then check to see if you have Logitech Control Center installed (check your System Preferences panel > Other)

Logitech should be more forthcoming with the actual state of affairs as it pertains to Mac compatibility and compatibility with Logitech Control Center software but in the meantime, don't assume it will work unless you can corroborate that with someone who has already had success with it on a Mac using the same model.

The only major omission in my opinion is the lack of backlighting on the R800 LCD display. It would be desirable to have backlighting on the unit when operating in dimly lit rooms.

This is a wonderful little device that stands heads and shoulders above its competition such as the Kensington Wireless Presenter Kensington 33374 Wireless Presenter with Laser Pointer. However it costs nearly twice as much as the Kensington. For my money, it's worth the extra cost as it has a better ergonomic design and more useful features.

I give it a solid 4 stars. Why not 5 stars? Because it really needs a backlit display and it is quite extraordinary to me that the Logitech R800 device is incompatible with Logitechs' own Logitech Control Center software on the Mac. Nevertheless, this is one terrific pointing/timing/control device for presentations.
1111 comments| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Edited 9/2/09

I do a lot of PowerPoint presentations and have used wireless presenters of many different kinds. The Logitech Professional Presenter R800 has lots of nice features in an attractive and easy to use package. But that only gets you so far - how does it work in practice?

The Presenter R800 is smaller than I was expecting, which is good. It fits very nicely in the hand, is contoured well to position your fingers properly, and has a soft-touch finish. The power switch is a slide on the left side which takes a firm push: a plus as this means it is not likely to turn on or off accidentally. The right side has small buttons for the timer control (reset and start/stop). The face of the presenter has a small but legible LCD display, a button for the laser pointer and buttons that advance slides forward and back, bring the presentation into and out of slide-show mode, and one that blanks the screen in slide-show mode. (Logitech notes that this last may not function with all presentation software.)

The RF USB receiver slides firmly into the base, so it is unlikely you will lose it. It's not the little nub that Logitech uses on the "Nano" mouse models, but this is probably so that it can get the added range one wants with a presenter. Plug it in to a Windows system (Logitech claims support for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 only) and Windows will recognize it automatically. The first time you use it on a given system it takes about 10 seconds or so for the driver to load.

The slide control buttons need little explanation. I liked that they were easy to locate without looking, were contoured nicely and required a gentle but firm push - no unintended slide changes here! Unlike some presenters I have used, there's no mouse control, so you can't access features such as annotation while presenting. The buttons were very responsive while the remote was in range (more on that later), and I felt very confident while using it. (With some other presenters, I often found myself fumbling for the correct buttons and hitting one unintentionally.)

A very nice feature which I don't have on my other presenters is the timer. It can be easily set in increments of minutes from 1 minute to nine hours and 59 minutes. Once set, you press the start button and it counts down. There are digits, of course (with a flashing colon to indicate that the timer is running) and a set of six horizontal bars which disappear as the time runs down, giving you a visual indication of relative time left. At five minutes, the presenter vibrates once and the display flashes. At two minutes it vibrates twice and when time is up, three times. The vibration is not very strong, but you'll notice it without being startled. If you don't stop the timer at zero, it starts counting up.

The display also reports battery level and wireless signal strength, flashing when it has lost the signal.

Included in the package is a very nice padded case that is high quality and has the look of leather, though I assume it is really vinyl. It is very classy. Logitech also preinstalls two Duracell AAA batteries - you just pull on a plastic tab to activate the batteries the first time. The battery door is secure and won't come off accidentally, unlike the presenter mouse I currently use, the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000

I have to give Logitech props on the packaging. It comes in what looks like standard clamshell packaging that requires dangerous implements to open. But no - this is Logitech's "Easy Open" package - just bend the corner a bit and perforations let you easily separate the halves. As a bonus, both the outer shell and the inner white tray are labeled for recycling, though only the clear outer shell (PETE) can be recycled where I live. Other than that, there's a single paper insert that is the package labeling and a packet containing an instruction leaflet and warranty information.

The laser pointer is green, which is unusual, and is easier to see against many backgrounds. I provided an image comparing the laser of the Presenter R800 against that of the Microsoft 8000. At a distance of 18 feet, the Microsoft beam seemed smaller but with more optical distortion. The Logitech beam was a bit wider but not spreading out and was more visible in my opinion. The eye is much more sensitive to green than to red.

Comparing use to the Microsoft, which combines a Bluetooth mouse and a presenter, the Logitech was much easier to hold securely and to activate the buttons. The Microsoft mouse has its presenter controls on the underside, with mostly flat buttons jammed together that are easy to confuse. A button on the top switches between mouse and presenter mode, so you can't use both at once.

So far, I was loving the Logitech and looking to make this a five-star review. Then I decided to test the claimed 100-foot range. I stuck the receiver in the front panel of my desktop system and then started backing down a hallway - the receiver always in sight. I clicked the slide-advance button as I walked and waited to see when it would conk out. The answer was an astonishingly short 22 feet. Now, normally I would not complain about 22 feet as I don't think I have ever been that far away from my laptop while doing a presentation, and I'm sure the Microsoft mouse would lose its Bluetooth signal long before that, but it's a far cry from the claimed 100 feet. Worse, I had to walk back to about 15 feet before it started responding again. I repeated this test several times just to make sure. Sometimes I could get to 28 feet, but the slide changes were unreliable past 22. What the cause of this performance discrepancy is, I don't know. I do have another Logitech wireless product (the MX Revolution mouse), but it would be natural to use a presenter along with a wireless mouse.

I contacted Logitech and they assured me that I should be able to do much better. Certainly, the initial tests I did at home aren't representative of how one would use this for presentations, so I tried two more experiments at work. First, I went to our small auditorium, which seats around 75. I placed my laptop at the front corner of the room and walked back to the opposite corner, about 35-40 feet horizontally and maybe 8 feet vertically. The R800 worked fine, with reliable changes as far as I could get in the room.

Next I went to our cafeteria, which is a large open area. I set the laptop down on a table and started walking away. At around 35-40 feet, the slide changes became erratic and after 40 feet they stopped. I had to walk back to within about 25-30 feet before they resumed.

If Logitech had not made the 100 foot range claim, I would have found this just fine. I have never been that far away from my laptop when doing a presentation - even 25 feet is more than adequate. Yet I wonder why I can't come close to the 100 foot range claim.

For the way I use a presenter, the Logitech Professional Presenter R800 is a winner. I will use it when doing presentations as I don't think the less-than-claimed range will bother me in real life. I love the timer and the effortless feel of it in my hand. Even lefties will be able to use this without problems. It is absolutely the easiest to use wireless presenter I have ever used. If you don't need control from more than 20 or so feet, I highly recommend the Logitech Professional Presenter R800.

I hope you find this review helpful - I try to put products through all their paces. Comments are appreciated, especially if you think I could have done better.
review image
on December 9, 2009
I had been using a Logitech 2.4 GHz Cordless Presenter for about a year and decided it was time to try an R800. The R800 is a very nice presentation tool that I use every day. I like the brighter green laser pointer and one major improvement over the previous model - the ability to set the timer in multiples of 1 minute, as opposed to 5 minute (under an hour) or 10 minute (over an hour) increments. The bad news is that the previous laser pointer reliably counted down to its designated time. So far, every time I have used the R800, I inadvertently hit the timer pause button in the middle of the class. About the time I expect to get a reminder buzz, I look at the pointer and discover I stopped it 20 minutes earlier... That cost one star, but I hope I'll adjust to avoid this in the future

Both pointers work well with my Windows XP PC and MacBook Pro (running MacOS AND Parallels). Battery life is long enough for any of my needs (average use of 10+ hours/week for more than a semester)

Followup after three years (3/2/13): I two 2 1/2 hour classes per week and a couple of shorter ones and have been using this pointer for every one of them. I use rechargable batteries and get one lecture out of a charge. Now the bad news: The on-off switch isn't terribly well made. I have recently gone to flip to the next slide and find the pointer is turned off. After 3 years of use, the resistance to turning the switch off is gone - it just slips off by itself. Since I use the timer to remind me when the lecture is over, switching off power and forgetting the timer setting is a hassle.

I have searched around for another choice, but this still seems to be the best option, despite the shortcomings. I like the bright green laser and the countdown timer, so I guess I will have to buy another one (interesting how it got flakey right after the 3 years of use...)
on November 3, 2014
I already own the Logitech R400 with Red Laser Pointer. I love all the features of that device, but the red laser was just a hair too dim for large, brightly lit stadium seating classrooms. I'd owned stand-alone green lasers before that were uniformly brighter than red lasers – so this was an easy upgrade decision. However, this pointer's laser is almost invisible by comparison. Disappointing. I can only use it in dimmed rooms.

I've attached both color and black & white images of the R800 and R400 side by side in *dim* lighting for comparison.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon August 27, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I give a lot of presentations and have been using an older Logitech Cordless 2.4 GHz Presenter that I got this year. This unit is very similar in functionality--it works with PowerPoint, has buttons to go back and forth across slides, a button to blank the screen, a timer, and a laser pointer.

However, this unit is a lot better--it fits in my hand better, letting my hand close around it better. It's a bit heavier, but the more ergonomic shape is more comfortable. The buttons have good tactile feedback, and the laser button is convenient. The laser pointer is very nice--in a fully lit room, the green laser is extremely bright, whereas my older pointer (a red laser) is dull and hard to see. If you use a laser pointer a lot, this is a great unit for that alone.

The receiver is smaller than the old unit. I tried but found the receivers for the two Logitechs I have are not compatible. However, they are not likely to get mixed up--the receivers slide into the unit on both of them.

The pointer comes with batteries--and it also comes in very easy-to-open packaging, which is a huge relief. No sharp knives required to get into the plastic box. As with the older unit, I found the timer both hard to read and hard to set on this unit--But I usually depend on either a wall clock or the PowerPoint presenter notes screen for the clock anyway.

All in all, if you give a lot of presentations, this is a great accessory or upgrade from an older presentation remote.

P.S. The review that says "Windows only" is wrong -- I use this with PowerPoint 2008 on my MacBook Pro just fine. No software to install. When you plugin the receiver, the Mac pops up with a "unidentified keyboard" dialog: Just close the dialog and away you go.
review image
88 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Logitech is fast becoming one of my favorite small computer electronics manufacturer and this Professional Presenter R800 solidifies their reputation.

High Kudos to Logitech for their packaging design which is outstanding. I am used to wielding a knife (and all its attendant dangers) or a pair of scissors to break open the plastic covering around most products these days. Logitech, bless 'em, shipped the R800 in what they call an "Easy Open" plastic enclosure that requires only a slight bit of effort to open along scored lines around the edge. I wish more manufacturers would use this as I can't tell you how many packages and fingers I've mutilated trying to get to the goods.

Now to functionality and the R800 doesn't disappoint. I speak regularly to groups of computer technicians and my first rule of public speaking is simple, yet difficult to implement: Every presenter is the Wizard of Oz. People are so often used to bad public speaking that the mention of PowerPoint instantly sends people into comas. The Wizard of Oz may be a charlatan in the movie but you're not going to be bored in his presence and you just may walk away with some good information. It's a show ... my point in this rambling interlude is, as a presenter, you have to put on a show. Something that provides at least one of the three things that Robert Ardrey in his book The Territorial Imperative says we all seek: identity, stimulus, and security. (We avoid: anonymity, boredom, and anxiety.)

Here's where the R800 comes in: it does no good for your audience to see the inner workings of "The Show". No one who attends a movie theater wants to be given a lecture on how the projector works. Toto pulled apart the wizard's curtain and spoiled the effect for Dorothy and her band of travelers. As a presenter, if you're seen to fumble with the tools of the presentation, you spoil that effect. Trying to fidget with a remote control device spoils the effect. All focus should be on you and your words and, to a lesser extent, on the supporting material on the screen.

The R800 is discreet, contoured to fit easily in the hand; it is easy to use sightlessly without the ungainly button fumbling--I can't count how many times the PowerPoint presenter advances slides too far ahead of his talk "oops, didn't mean to do that!" or can't figure out how to go back a slide or two without looking at his hand. Speaking of buttons, they are molded just right. The advance button is obviously to the right of the reverse but is also differentiated by having a raised dot for feeling. All the buttons are clustered close together so they are all easily reachable and operated by the thumb.

The underside covering on the R800 is a pleasing matte black material which feels smooth in the hand but at the same time affords a nice grip. The USB receiver dongle fits nicely in the body of the R800, unlike many other devices where you have to keep track of both the transmitter and receiver independently. Not a big deal, perhaps, but it shows a certain level of intelligent design.

Others have made a case against the R800 for not coming through on its promise of a range. Poppycock! As a test, I walked about 70 feet away from my desk while my colleague kept looking at my screen as I pressed the necessary buttons; it worked a treat. 70 feet is well within the promised range, however what surprised me was that I was completely out of the office--my desk is in a cubicle farm--and outside . The signal was traveling through a door with a small window in it, through one wall and then several cubicle walls to the receiver. I don't care what you think, that's impressive.

This one gets my very highest recommendation.
on May 7, 2016
In my experience as a professor I have to present my research in a constant basis and this includes international congresses. How many presentations I have seen along my career and I have learnt in the hard way that planning is the only way to have a meaningful particpaton to be remebered by your audience. And this presenter is a very helpful thing to achieve success.

I consider time the most importat resource and here is the heart of this tool: the integrated timer. You can program in just a matter of seconds the time you are given. When you start your talk, you just press a botton on the right side and the time shows in a clear LCD display which is absent in most of the models in the market. You have to important features here: one, the timer itself and two, a time bar that it is decreasing according to the time programmed by you. With this, you can check your progress in a very discrete way without turning to your watch or computer clock. When you are 5 minutes left, it vibrates in a way you only notice and it reminds you it is time to wrap up and give your final statemets. It also vibrates when there are 2 minutes left.

Are you given 10 minutes to answer questions from your audience? No problem! When the timer reaches zero, it starts to count time. Withthis, you can monitor the time you are using beyond the programme or to interact with the participants. It is quite possible that other person follows and you need to leave the scenario so he/she can prepare. Time is money and everybody deserves respect with time. So, if you manage your time properly, you shall look more professional.

The other important feature is the range of distance this presenter allows. Do you want to interact with your public? Move around without problem as it operates up to 30 mts. The display will show you the signal strenght just like a mobile phone. So far, I have used it in a 17 mts. room and it worked flawlessly. The USB receiver is very big and that provides a bigger antenna. Do not worry if you are not using your own computer, once you plug the receiver it will instal itself in a few seconds, even in old computers. Real plug n'play. If you ask me about the use with apple computers, I cannot say. I have only used this with windows based computers but according with the instructions, it is compatible with mac. I guess it works fine.

As the radio signal is good, the laser works perfectly. The difference with other models is the use of a green laser beam. This means, it is stronger and you can use it farther, with LCD displays or even outdoors with sunlight. A red beam is not that powerful and it is lost over computer screens or TV sets. But this one has performed very well in very different conditions. Just a a reminder, this is a real laser beam and it must be used with care. Never point it to eyes! I know it is very seductive for children but keep it out their reach. Not in vain has a yellow sticker warning it is dangerous.

It has four operation bottons: back and forth for moving along your slides. Other is used to start or end the presentation mode in Powerpoint. I have used it versions 2003, 2007, 2013 and 2016 without problem. The remaing botton is to get ablank screen if you need attention from your attendants and with s click you come back with your presentation.

It runs on 2 AAA batteries. The display shows the battery life so you know for sure the energy level remaining. As the laser is the part that consumes energy the most, I try to use high-performance batteries from the two most famous and popular brands. Once I had to buy a couple of cheap batteries not precisely the best from a convenience shop. The performance of the presenter was perfect and even those batteries lasted for a good period of time. Moderate the useof the laser, it is to point out something, it is not a Jedi lightsabre.

Compared to my first presenter, a Targus, the difference is astronomical. This Logitech presenter has helped me a lot to manage my time, interact better, prepare my presentations. Even it has been helpful with my regular lectures and classes. The feature that makes worth every penny is the timer. It is very comfortable and only you know there is a display you can check in a natural way without the feeling of being anxious by time or constantly looking at the time. Even moderators get surprised by the way you are confident.

Need a presenter? This is THE option.
on January 22, 2010
I had to return this to the manufacturer for a refund. Why? There is a button called "start presentation" that alternately generates an ESC and F5.the ESC takes you out of presentation mode, the F5 restarts the presentation from the beginning. This button is very near the "back" button and I accidentally push it approximately once an hour. This completely messes up my presentation - and there is no way to disable the button. Thus I cannot use this during a professional presentation - it is just about guaranteed to create an unprofessional event for me, and I do presentations for a living. So as much as I love every other part of this device, I had returned it to Logitec and ask my money back.
2020 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2014
I've had this for 3 years now and have used it in several workshops and seminars I put on since then. This device fits nicely in my hand and it's proven to be reliable all these years. A couple things I dislike: (1) Sometimes I find myself having to click twice to make the next slide turn, even being within a range of only 10 feet from my laptop. This happens about 10% of the time where I have to "double click" to make it work. (2) The timer "upgrade" really isn't worth it. Even though there is supposedly a "pause" button after you set the timer, I've found that it just starts going way before I'm ready for my next set. I pride myself in having a "prepared" personality so I'll tend to attempt to set the timer for my next presentation about 5 - 10 minutes before I know I have to start speaking. Since I have someone with video, I have to start speaking when he is ready. I've never been able to figure out how to set the timer, pause it, and then start it when I start talking. I've tried everything so either I'm really a dim-wit or the unit I have is defective. I've even had my tech guy look at it and he can't get it to work right. Once you set the timer, it just starts counting down right away. The last thing I want to do is start fiddling around with setting a new time (which takes a little while) the moment I'm supposed to start speaking. So, for the "upgrade" price to this model from the cheaper Logitech one, I'd say go with the cheaper model that doesn't have the timer since it's really not worth it. The other thing: since this unit is "built to last," make sure you change out the batteries at least once a year or take them out between use. If the batteries get corroded or explode, it will ruin this unit. That almost happened to me and I was able to clean out the corrosion and, luckily, place new batteries in the unit that actually worked.