Published 22 months ago by Eric T

3.0 out of 5 stars Good trackpad but not as good as Apple's MagicTrackpad
Published 24 months ago by Deewin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good trackpad but not as good as Apple's MagicTrackpad, February 10, 2013
This review is from: Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad for Mac (Personal Computers)
I don't normally liked trackpads but when I first used one on the Macbook pro, I instantly fell in love. I also own the Magic Trackpad for my iMac which feels laser precise and you can just tell that it's very well engineered when you feel and use it. I'm also a huge fan of logitech products and I purchased this to compliment my bluetooth easy switch keyboard and see well it fares. So here are some of the pro's and cons:

PROS:

It's rechargeable and not even noticeable when you charge it because you don't slide the trackpad around like a mouse

- When you install the software it adds a nice bonus gesture where you can double tap and drag to move windows

- It's perfectly level with logitech's bluetooth easy switch keyboard (just like how the magic trackpad lines up with their wireless keyboard)

- The build of the device is really solid

CONS:

- The tracking is pretty good, but not flawless like the Magic Trackpad. It's still better than any Pc trackpad I've used but I was expecting this to be just as good as Apple's.

- The clicking doesn't really click in as much as the Magic Trackpad. If you tap to click then of course this will be a non issue but it doesn't feel as satisfying when you click on it. It almost feels like half a click.

For the same price I would just stick with the Magic Trackpad and buy a cheap pack of AA's here and just replace them every 2.5 - 3 months. If the tracking was just as smooth as the Magic Trackpad then this would be a no brainer.

4.0 out of 5 stars I could touch this all day long if it weren't for the short battery life, March 18, 2013
Eric T "ejt" (Marion, IA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Comparing it side by side with the Apple product, I like this trackpad just as well. I actually prefer the touch surface, it is slightly smoother feeling. The only downside is battery life isn't what it should be, only about a full day of use, or maybe a couple partial days. On the plus side, you can just leave it plugged into USB and it will charge when it needs too. Effectively this makes it a USB trackpad, that has an internal battery you can take some place for a day. The downside with the Apple, is the batteries last much longer, but are a bit of a pain to change and if you leave them in there too long you run the risk they will leak and become forever stuck in the trackpad.

The gestures all work as well on here as they do on the Apple pad, and build quality the pad is excellent. I don't know which I like more, the Apple pad or this pad, but both are excellent. Definitely enable the 3 finger drag (click and drag) as it will make the trackpad much more useful. If you need to drag over long distances click the pad with your thumb and use a second finger to perform the drag.

With both the Logitech and Apple pads you need to click towards the bottom, and I actually prefer not to use the physical click and instead use the tap to click. Usually this feature annoys me, but it isn't overly sensitive on the pad and pushing it down to click can be a bit difficult.

To sum everything up:
If you already have the Apple pad, no reason to look at this one.
This pad is as high quality as the Apple pad.
Battery life is a bit too short, have to plug in frequently to charge
Gestures are your friends; learn to use them

5.0 out of 5 stars Syncs quickly, works great with OS X 10.9 + Logitech driver, December 4, 2013
masterhankshake (Wake Forest, NC, US) - See all my reviews
First things first: I have never owned or used an Apple Magic Trackpad, so I cannot compare the two.

I'm very pleased with the hardware and software. The trackpad surface has just enough texture to be comfortable. The physical click is nice, but can require more pressure towards the top of the trackpad. I found myself clicking with my thumb against the lower edge (not touch sensitivity there). That seemed to make the physical click a bit easier.

The gesture based controls are really nice. I never thought I'd use them, but they were so intuitive after some initial experimentation.

The best part is the price. At the time I purchased this, it was significantly cheaper than the Apple Magic Trackpad. I'm sure the Apple device is higher quality, etc. In my household, I have a wife and toddler who are both rough of any technology they get their mitts on. I can purchase two of these for the price of one Apple device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using the T651 (bluetooth) Trackpad for WINDOWS 8.1, Android, and OS X is wonderful!, December 6, 2013
This most definitely works on Android. Specifically Android 4.2.2 on my ATT G2. Other than normal tap, this supports two finger scrolling and also two finger dragging ( one finger clicks while the other drags). On my Macbook Pro, once I installed the Logitech software, I could perform all the same multitouch gestures as I could with the built-in trackpad. This includes 4 finger swiping, plus 3 finger + thumb spreading and closing. I can't try it out on my windows 8 pc because I'm waiting on my bluetooth dongle to arrive.

EDIT:
Received my usb bluetooth 4.0 dongle and with windows 8.1, the trackpad is connected!

What functions in Windows:
Tap-to-click
TwoFinger-Tap-to-right-click
CLICK and drag with one finger (not tap to drag, though)
CLICK and drag with two fingers (one finger clicks while the other drags)

What doesn't:
Any advanced gestures. The trackpad does not show up in the logitech software. I even downloaded and installed the t650 logitech windows software, just in case, but to no success.

All in All, I have to say, I am quite pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome replacement to Apple trackpad, June 20, 2013
I had been using my iMac on my desktop for about 6 months, sticking strictly to mouse and keyboard. I recently bought a MacBook Air and I fell in love with the glass trackpad. The gestures and functions of the glass trackpad are so useful compared to keyboard shortcuts (what I had been doing on my iMac). I wanted the Apple Trackpad but couldn't handle my wallet taking the hit. I came across this trackpad while looking at the Apple trackpad here on Amazon and I was slightly hesitant to invest despite the respectable Logitech brand. Needless to say I sifted through reviews and decided to toss all the bad reviews to the side, don't listen to them. Install the drivers/software from the Logitech website (listed on the back of the device) then pair the device with your computer. Using the options in System Preferences you can configure the trackpad to act identical to your MacBook trackpad or regular Apple Trackpad. The device is extremely responsive and I have yet to find a flaw in this product. I haven't tested the battery life yet, although I did take one reviewers advice and charge the trackpad using a wall usb charger instead of using a USB port on my Mac. In the end, I would purchase this every time before the Apple Trackpad, mainly because it is cheaper and the quality of the product is on par with any Apple product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average. Cheaper than apple's but some shortcomings., November 30, 2013
Eric P (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
Got this on a Black Friday week deal. Much cheaper than Apple's Magic Trackpad. However, I'm rating this as average. This trackpad doesn't have the same click-feel as the Trackpad on my Macbook (sorry can't compare to the Apple magic trackpad- don't have it). The click is "mushier" which I don't like. Also having some sensitivity issues- can't quite get the tracking speed how I like- a problem I never had with the trackpad on my macbook.
I do like the fact that this is rechargeable. haven't had it long enough to ran the battery through its paces. Will update accordingly...
This comment probably applies to very few but I use a little mac app called "Better Touch Tool" to customize my trackpad on my macbook and also customizes my old magic mouse. This logitech trackpad does NOT work with that app.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent track pad that easily rivals Apple alternatives--worth reading and following the included setup directions, September 3, 2013
Okay, first things first, I really like this track pad. The build quality is great, it looks very nice, it's easy to sync to one's Mac (I've synced it to both an iMac and a Macbook thus far) and the setup directions are simple and straightforward.

The one caveat is perhaps the battery life--admittedly, it's not fantastic. That said, it's not terrible either. And, what's more, it's easy to extend life between charges by hitting the little switch on the side and turning it off when not using the track pad. It takes about two seconds (if that) to reconnect when it wakes up. Likewise, one doesn't necessarily have to use a USB port to charge the pad--as another reviewer mentioned already, it's just as easy to plug it into a USB wall charger, thus saving the use of a precious factory supplied port on a connectivity deprived iMac or Mac Mini. Ultimately, I've found this solution to be much easier and I just leave it plugged in unless I want to move it or suddenly desire a (minutely) cleaner desktop surrounding my computer.

Lastly, I'd like to address other reviewers' discontent with the pad's occasionally lackluster performance. Personally, mine works great and is every bit as good as the Apple magic track pad. However, this terrific performance does require that one download the Logitech software for running the track pad, which, for reasons unknown, many people skip despite the fact that doing so is one of the steps listed in the aforementioned "simple and straightforward setup instructions." Just for kicks I tried using the pad without the software and, lo and behold, it doesn't track well, Mac OS X gestures don't work well/at all, and the whole experience is rather disappointing. Incidentally, these issues match the criticisms and frustrations that more critical reviewers have described, so the moral would appear to be: read and follow the directions. In the end, downloading and installing the software takes a couple minutes tops and makes all the difference in the world as far as functionality goes.

Perhaps others have experienced problems despite the extra software, but I have yet to encounter any problems on multiple Macs for whatever it's worth.

So, bottom line: good track pad, well made, well designed, easily rivals or replaces the apple equivalent, battery life could be improved but is hardly a deal breaker (at least for me and my needs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you install the Logitech Preference Manager, June 30, 2014
I can't stress this enough - if you do not install the preference manager, it will use the native OS settings for mice, which means the sensitivity range will be weird and scrolling will not feel smooth. Do a google search for 'T651 driver', hit the first result, and go to the download section. I have a feeling most of the negative reviews here are from those who did not know to do this.

Without the preference manager I would give this a 2/5. With it, i'd give it a 4.5/5. The feel of a physical click isn't as nice to me as the Apple trackpad, but by a very small margin. Logitech are good at what they do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Honestly not great..., June 11, 2013
I bought this over the Apple trackpad because it was a bit cheaper and offered a rechargeable USB connector which I find great compared to having to change batteries all the time.. Well I've been disappointed. the feel of the pad itself is weird, It's hard to say why but it's clearly different from a Mac trackpad, maybe not as precise. If it was just that I wouldn't mind, but what really bothers me is the right click. I configured the pad to accept a lower right corner click and it is very flakey. It's going between: Does NOT work, to work when I use two fingers (go figure..) and sometime works.. It's inconsistent and really annoying.. It will very often left click instead which is weird because it's supposed to be linked to a little pad below the device that gets pressed (unlike the mac track pad). I keep using it, still getting frustrated but I would not recommend neither would buy another one. It's probably better to shell out a bit more and get the Apple one (or a mouse..)

5.0 out of 5 stars This Trackpad is the best substitute for a mouse., December 6, 2013
Eric Wentz (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
I have been using this Trackpad with my Late 2012 Mac Mini and it works great. This was recognized at the initial set up by the Mac Mini and with the firmware upgrade that is mentioned in the directions that come with the Trackpad and in multiple reviews on here, the trackpad is a joy to use.

I am new to the Mac world but this Trackpad and its multi gesture support is amazing. You can customize how you want this to recognize commands and the built in ones are perfect. Being use to my phone and iPad I can swipe between webpages and scroll, move tabs and click with no problems at all.

I would definitely recommend downloading the firmware that is listed in the directions to increase functionality of the Trackpad and to also play with the settings to get it how you like want it to work for you.

I have only charged the Trackpad once (after opening) and it has been going strong for a couple weeks with light usage. You can check the charge that it has in the settings menu on the Mac so you know when to plug it in and the fact that it uses the same charger as most cellphones you will probably have one laying around when you need one. I would just plug it in at night when it is low and leave it charging until morning. I also take great care in turning the switch to off immediately after shutting down my Mac so it is not searching and trying to reconnect.

This is a definitely a great product.

Update: I enjoy using this trackpad a lot. Quick gestures are so convenient when using the Mac OS. I enjoy being able to pinch and zoom with a computer and quickly transition between open tabs and programs using this trackpad because it feels like my iPad. I had to charge it again so that makes twice since owning it that I had to charge it which is great. This is the perfect solution for small areas where you may not have enough room for a mouse and mousepad. This trackpad feels great on your fingers and I enjoy not using a mouse anymore.

***UPDATE #2***
I am still using this trackpad every time I use my Mac Mini however my wife did not like this track pad. She is used to using a mouse with a windows computer at work and when she tried using this track pad the learning curve had to be overcome every time. She is not one for multigestures so this track pad was not supportive of her type of use with the computer so I did buy her a traditional mouse that is also bluetooth. This new mouse and this trackpad work at the same time meaning I have them both synced to the Mac Mini and both on at the same time so one can if they wanted use the trackpad for multigestures and the mouse for clicking and dragging.

I however use the trackpad for websurfing and picture viewing/editing are a joy with this track pad. I can do some things faster on this than with a traditional mouse. I have no issues with battery life either like some reviewers have stated. I charge this trackpad once every couple of months and it takes no time at all to charge this 100%. I like that the multigestures can be customized using the logitech software on the computer where it also shows you how to use the trackpad with quick demos.

Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad for Mac