5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Solar Folio - iPad
Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio for iPad 2 and iPad 3 (3rd Generation) (920-003907)

This keyboard has almost everything you could hope for in such a small package!

What I like:
Published on May 20, 2012 by J Carder

2.0 out of 5 stars Close, with one critical design flaw
Published on May 17, 2012 by ctdada21

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Solar Folio - iPad, May 20, 2012
This review is from: Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio for iPad 2 and iPad (3rd/4th generation) (Personal Computers)

This keyboard has almost everything you could hope for in such a small package!

What I like:
- The keyboard layout is fantastic! Logitech did a great job at putting all the keys in just the right places. There is just enough room in between the keys that hitting two keys at once is rarely ever an issue.

- The keyboard is NOT cheap rubber! Although very hard to tell from the pictures online, it is made out of grey plastic on a plastic base, and NOT RUBBER. The feedback when typing is very similar to a MacBook keyboard...plastic, but sturdy!

- This keyboard is smart! The two positions (really three if you count opening the tablet so the keyboard is on the back of the iPad) are recognized by the keyboard as such: in "typing" position all the keys operate as you would expect and the alternate functions using the fn & 1-delete keys will perform various functions such as volume, copy/paste, etc.; in "media" position, the alternate functions are performed by hitting the ctrl-delete keys without the need for the fn key. The keyboard has a sensor inside that recognizes where the iPad is in each layout. (It even turns the keyboard off when flipped behind the iPad!)

- This keyboard has all the right holes in all the right places! The docking area for the iPad has a hole for every input you need, including the speaker AND back camera...sometimes overlooked by folio cases...that's right booqpad agenda, I'm looking at you!

- This keyboard DOES NOT DIE! As long as you place the solar cells up when not using the folio, you should never run out of power when typing again!

What could be better:
- After reading all the reviews and seeing the Logitech Ultrathin, I wish the build quality was a little more solid...but maybe that is comparing apples to oranges. This is a folio, doesn't need to be charged, stays together all the time, protects the iPad (front and back), and offers more than 1 angle of operation!

- It's expensive. Right now, the keyboard folio runs for $129.99 MSRP about everywhere. I'm sure the solar battery is what makes it so pricey, but the rest of the folio is made out of either plastic or some rubber-ish materials which should justify some sort price cut in version 2.0

- It's a little tricky to close at first. The whole trick to closing the folio is focused on the placement of the solar battery (that little silver and red cylinder). If you put the edge of the iPad behind the cylinder when closing...it will close...but it's not pretty and probably not good for the folio. I've found that by lifting the iPad a little, sliding back to the front edge of the battery, and then closing the folio; you'll have no problems. Maybe I'm making this more of an issue than it really is, but definitely something that can be designed better for Solar Folio V2.0.
- It opens on its own...but very rarely will this be an issue. Just think of how many times you worry about a book opening when in a bag...not that often, right? Although it's not a huge issue, I will definitely add it to my suggestion list for the next time I sit down for a brainstorm session with a Logitech design engineer. :P

End thoughts:
Although there are some downfalls, I definitely recommend this keyboard folio for its layout, simplicity, small form factor, and ample protection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Close, with one critical design flaw, May 17, 2012
I picked this up at best buy the other day and I have already returned it. The overall design of the product is stylish and practical with one very critical design flaw: there is nothing keeping the folio closed except the weight of the keyboard. The magnetic closure that you feel when opening and closing the box is because there are magnets in the packing NOT in the folio. This means that, if you are not holding the folio properly it will fall open. So, while the keyboard is comfortable and responsive, the folio does not add a lot of bulk (as far as keyboard folios go), and the two viewing angles are creative and practical, the lack of either a magnetic closure or band to keep the case closed is a deal breaker (especially at such a high price point). Logitech had to be aware that this would be an issue, which is why there are magnets in the packaging, creating a false sense that the case magnetically seals itself closed. My advice: go with the Ultra-Slim Keyboard Cover instead (if you are worried about covering the back of the iPad, simply attached a Belkin Snap Shield or similar product).

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great--if you're lucky enough to ge one that works., July 6, 2012
I'm currently typing this with the on-screen keyboard, after receiving the replacement for my first defective unit today.

I ordered this directly from Logitech in mid-June, and received it on the 20th. At first I was in love. I wanted a case that protected the back of my new iPad 3, had multiple viewing angles to adjust for glare when watching movies while traveling, and was a very useable keyboard with great response and feel. At first this product seemed to fit the bill. I was aware of the lack of secure closure when I bought it, and figured I'd attach some stick-on Velcro strips to keep it closed. The keyboard feels great, increases my typing speed, and would be very useful for work--which is what I wanted the iPad for in the first place. It even has command and control keys so I could just use keystrokes to copy/paste/etc.

The problem began less than a week after I received it. The keyboard would shut off when put into typing mode, but moving into the video position it would turn on, pair correctly, and the media keys would work. Moving it back into typing mode the keyboard again shut off; pressing the power button would elicit 2 flashes of the power LED, then it would shut off again. Moving it back to video position and it would turn on and work fine--but you can't use anything but the media keys in this position.

Thinking it was a power problem, I left the keyboard in direct sunlight for 6-8 hours at a time, using the iPad with the apple smart cover while it charged. When I attempted to use the keyboard again, I could get perhaps 30-60 minutes of typing out of it before the problem recurred. I finally called Logitech, who determined that something must be wrong with the charging feature and issued an RMA. Now, I paid an extra $15 for express shipping; the RMA process took over 2 weeks for me to eventually get a replacement. I received the replacement this afternoon, and immediately set the keyboard on my back patio, in direct sunlight, for 5 hours.

Excited to use the keyboard, I put my iPad in it. This time, I got no more than 30 seconds of typing in the keyboard position before the keyboard would shut off--the exact problem I had with the last case is present in this one as well. Putting the iPad into video position, the keyboard turns on, pairs immediately, and the media keys work. Move it into typing position and it immediately shuts off.

To test the power theory (that is, the idea that the unit did not have enough power to maintain a Bluetooth connection when in typing mode, but moving it into media mode worked because the radio was closer to the iPad--the theory that the Logitech support agent put forth while troubleshooting the problem the first time) I took the iPad out of the case completely and set it right next to the keyboard. I then moved the frame into typing position--nothing, no connection, the keyboard wouldn't turn on. I then moved the frame into media position and the keyboard turned on and paired, but only the media keys function in this position.

I now believe the problem is in their design of the 'feet' of the frame. The keyboard is designed to shut off if the feet are not in either the typing or media positions, so that you can flip the keyboard back behind the iPad if you just want to use the iPad as a tablet without accidentally having key presses or consuming battery power. The manual indicates that the feet have to be in the correct position for the keyboard to function. Additionally, the keyboard is designed to recognize which position they are placed in, typing vs. media, and the functions of the bottom row change when the frame is in the media position. However, it appears that the keyboard is not correctly sensing the feet in typing position--on the previous case, I could pull the frame out of typing position and rest the feet on the back edge of the keyboard frame, and the keyboard would sometimes turn on. Using it in this position was impossible, however, as the feet would begin to slide forward over the keys under the weight of the iPad. This keyboard won't turn on even with this maneuver, and the keyboard only works in media mode.

This has been the most frustrating Logitech product I have ever owned, and I have owned many. Many times many. Multiple harmony remotes, wireless keyboards and mice for about 15 computers over the years, I have always been a Logitech fan and a loyal customer. But no more; I will be sending this back to Logitech and disputing the original charge with my credit card company, so as to get my original shipping charge back in addition to the cost of the product. And this will likely be the last Logitech product I will ever own. I highly recommend avoiding this keyboard; if you purchase one, and have the same issue, don't say you weren't warned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and functional keyboard, June 18, 2012
J. Mullick (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have been using this keyboard for 2 weeks at the time of writing this review. The keyboard Does not add bulk. Don't have to carry an extra charger. Ambient light is enough to re-charge. They keyboard is small - took me about half an hour to get used to. Setting up the bluetooth connection was a breeze. The overall look and feel of the case is quite nice.

Areas of improvement:
1. there does not seem to be any battery meter, nor, does it provide any warning for low battery. If the keyboard runs out fo charge because I forgot to charge it, I will have to wait out for the charge time before I can use the keyboard again.
2. reading on the IPAD when not using the keyboard is kind of clumsy. There is no latch to hold the front and the back in place.

Please note that I do not use the IPAD in the portrait mode at all. The keyboard seems to be made for using the ipad in the landscape mode. I have not found any impediments with this design.

I can't figure out how long the battery actually lasts. I make sure that the solar cells stay exposed (it's easy to forget to leave them exposed by turning them towards the surface on which it is resting). I have run out of charge a couple of times during the first week - and that's when I figured out that I need to leave the solar cells exposed at all time. The design does not allow for charging while the keyboard is in use.

Overall, pretty cool keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, but I like it, except for one thing..., August 8, 2012
I was given this as a gift for my birthday last month. I personally was waiting for the price to come down before I purchased one myself, so it was a nice surprise.

I had a keyboard cover for my iPad 2 previously, but ended up not using it much, and didn't really like it overall. I have a 3rd gen iPad now, and I really like the way it is easy to get in and out of the Logitech case. My previous keyboard case needed quite a bit of force to get in and out, and I was always worried I was use too much and end up breaking the case.

The second thing I really like about it is the keyboard's key size. The previous one I owned had very tiny keys, and it was basically impossible to touch-type anything at all. The keys on this one are MUCH larger, and while it is still smaller than a regular full size desktop keyboard, the keys on it are significantly larger, and I am able to touch-type. Also, once the keyboard is paired with your iPad, it will automatically reconnect almost instantly. My older iPad bluetooth keyboard had to be re-paired, every single time the KB powered off, which was very annoying.

The solar recharging works as advertised. I only have one minor gripe about it. The solar cells are put on the same side of the case as the keyboard. Thus, you will never be able to recharge it while it is in use. Perhaps a simple design error, or perhaps a necessity? I am not sure.

My only REAL complaint about it, as echoed by other reviewers here, is the lack of a closure when not in use. The box "makes you believe" there will be a strong magnet, keeping the case closed at all times when you aren't using it. That is not so. The only thing keeping it closed will be by an external force or by gravity. A rubber band would be enough to keep it sufficiently closed, but who wants to have an ugly rubber band around a nice looking iPad case? I believe for how much Logitech is charging for this item ($120-$130), either a velcro or magnetic closure would have been advisable and would end up making it the ideal keyboard iPad case.

I'm going to see if I can find some black velcro tape and mount it inside the case myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard with issues, May 14, 2012
Good Stuff:
- Easy setup
- Two angles to use the screen. One for typing and for media watching.
- I will give it average+ for sturdiness.
- Keyboard - All the keys feel good to type on except for the Spacebar (see below).
- Easy to carry

Bad Stuff:
- The space bar is horrible. I keep having to backspace to add space between words. There is something wrong with the design. I am now more focused on the space bar issues than what it is I am typing. I am hoping that it is just an issue with my keyboard, however, I have heard spacebar issues while searching in the web.
- I wish there was a creative way to make sure the folio does not open up by mistake while the iPad is stored away.

Update from May 15th.

I like this keyboard, but it was too bulky for me along with lingering spacebar issues. I believe the space bar issue was specific to mine since the design cannot be this bad. I wish it had a way of having it staying closed. Having a lack of clasp worried me that it would fly open. However, I will still say that it is a good balance of decent keyboard with protection for the iPad.

I returned it and instead got another Logitech keyboard (Ultrathin model). This key board is beautiful and fits with the overall look and simplicity of iPad. Every key is responsive. However, there is no protection for the back of iPad. I guess, I can't have it perfect. Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad 2 and New iPad (920-004013)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth Keyboard Case Works Flawlessly, Adds Minimal Weight/Bulk, July 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The LOGITECH SOLAR KEYBOARD FOLIO is easily the best of the three Bluetooth keyboard products that I've tested. (The others are the iHome Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad 1 and 2 and iPhone (IH-IP2101) (no case, about $40), and the Targus Versavu Keyboard Case for the New iPad (3rd Gen), Wi-Fi / 4G Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB THZ17101US (Black) (padded case, about $70).) Setting up the FOLIO is a snap: you slip the iPad into the flexible silicon easel tray, move the easel to the "Type" position, turn on your iPad's Bluetooth, and let the iPad find the Folio's keyboard.

The Folio converts your iPad into a "netbook" with an almost full-sized keyboard. The keyboard is virtually noiseless, has a pleasant, soft "touch" for typing, has the usual specialized function keys (including a volume key), and is big enough to easily accommodate my large hands. The easel has two comfortable viewing positions, one for typing and one for media viewing. The Folio offers full scratch and screen protection for the iPad, as both the front and back of the iPad are covered. The Folio is extremely slim and lightweight-- good points, in my view--but there is NO padding to protect your iPad from jarring or other mishaps. Whenever you like, you can easily remove your iPad from the Folio's silicon easel tray.

The Folio's Bluetooth keyboard is powered by the solar cells on the front of the case. To fully charge the batteries, you place the case face up in a well-lit room for about six hours. To check whether the batteries are sufficiently charged for keyboard use, you press the "Battery Status" button on the side of the Folio. A LED light will blink once in green if you have an adequate charge, once in red if you don't. No light means your batteries are dead and must be recharged, using the solar panels. (At first, I thought that my Folio's batteries weren't charging, because the "getting started" booklet made me expect a steady green LED light when the batteries were adequately charged. An excellent chart on the Logitech web site, under the question "What does the LED mean on my tablet keyboard?", cleared up my confusion.)

Without fail, the Folio turns my iPad 2 on and off when I open and close the case. (The iPad general setting for "iPad Cover Lock/Unlock" must be set to "On".) When I open the case, the LED light blinks briefly until the iPad finds and connects to the keyboard. When you turn off Bluetooth to save iPad battery power, your iPad will find the Folio keyboard again without difficulty when you turn Bluetooth back on. (The Folio only connects when the easel is set to "Type" or "Media Viewing" position.)

The only thing that I don't love about the Folio, is that you have to be quite careful when closing it. The edge of your iPad must be in front of the little "roll bar" at the Folio's spine, or else the cover won't fully close (and a hurried, careless, forceful closing could damage your iPad screen). Because this lightweight case adds an excellent physical keyboard to my iPad while adding minimal weight and bulk, I rate it at 5 stars ("I love it" on the Amazon scale). This is the iPad case that I will be using in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Until It Stopped Working, April 21, 2013
This keyboard worked very well for 3 months until the keyboard/typing mode started pairing very intermittently. The media mode continues to pair perfectly.

This is also my second keyboard because the first one was defective out of the box.

I am going to to try a 3rd. I'll get a refund and try a different keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyboard, strange behavior on work desk, May 25, 2012
I just picked up an iPad 3rd gen 1 week ago. I have been hunting for a very slim keyboard portfolio. I don't need the case to be bullet proof, because I am very careful with my stuff, so I did not really like any of the portfolios out there because they were thick and bulky or just not very well thought out.

This keyboard portfolio is hands down the best I have seen and used. I simply love it. The keyboard works great and is very comfortable to type on. The two screen positions are perfectly placed - one for typing, one for watching media.

It truly is ultrathin and lightweight only adding a little extra weight to the iPad itself.

I really like how the keyboard shuts off when the iPad is not in one of the two positions so you can fold the keyboard behind the iPad and just use the screen if you have it sitting in your lap or cradled in your arm.

The ONLY issue I have noticed is a very strange one. On a particular section of my work desk, when I set the case up in typing position, the keyboard turns off. This does not happen when in media viewing position, only typing position. This ONLY happens on this particular section of my work desk. It doesn't happen when it sits on any other surface that I have tried. The only thing I can think of is that my desk has some metal right under the laminate coating which messes with the two little "feet" that seem to have magnets in them which the keyboard senses to know to turn on. Maybe when metal is very close, the keyboard magnetism might be getting screwed up. If I place 2 millimeters of paper or plastic (I used yellow file folders as a test) between the bottom of the keyboard portfolio and my work desk surface, then the keyboard turns on as expected.

Again, this is the strangest thing, and I will probably attempt to exchange this portfolio with a new one from Best Buy when they get them back in stock, to see if this is just a flaw in my particular portfolio. But even if I couldn't, I would still keep this portfolio and use it because it is that good of a product in all other respects.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work and Logitich Customer Support is BAD, January 20, 2013
I purchased this item last September, and it worked for about a month. However, during that time I had trouble with the auto shut off feature. It doesn't always close tightly, so sometimes your iPad will stay on or turn on, and then run down the battery. Many times I went to use my iPad and couldn't figure out why it was dead. Then I realized that it was the keyboard cover not staying closed, but I tolerated that flaw. Then the keyboard wouldn't work sometimes, and I would give up and then the next time it would work. Eventually all the lights went out - no battery level or pairing notification. I tried charging it, pairing it again - but nothing. So I got online with Logitech customer support, and after a few weeks and hassles about troubleshooting a unit that was totally dead, I got a replacement. That one only worked for a few days. So I asked them to send me a different and less expensive model, the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, which had better reviews and none of the hassles with the solar batteries. They completely ignored my requests and sent me another solar keyboard. I have been using Logitech products for many years - keyboards, remotes, mice, etc. and have always been a satisfied customer. I can understand when a product just doesn't work as planned, but Logitech Customer Service was totally unacceptable and undeserved for this loyal customers. I won't buy Logitech again.

Rate and Discover Movies