5.0 out of 5 stars Good Gaming Headset, Bad Mic Quality
Ok, first off, I would like to say that this is an absolutely amazing headset sound wise. The virtual surround sound couldn't be more accurate, and music sounds great to me in it. But, I will go into more detail later on.

Published 9 months ago by lmpsec

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Plastic Garbage but Decent Sound Quality
I bought this headset at Best Buy and not Amazon but the product is still the same.

Published 3 months ago by Chordplay

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Gaming Headset, Bad Mic Quality, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Logitech G430 Surround Sound Gaming Headset with Dolby 7.1 Technology (Personal Computers)

I would like to just state up front now though, that if you need to use the microphone on this headset for anything outside of voice chat in games or skype with your friends, look elsewhere, or consider buying a standalone mic. The mic on this headset is understandable, but the quality is terrible, and it will randomly cut your voice off mid sentence due to badly designed background noise removal that you can't turn off.

But, on with my review of this headset. I decided to upgrade from my aging Turtle Beach x32's (Yes, I know that headset is made for the Xbox, but they sell a pc adapter cable, and it worked great for me.) and decided to go with surround sound this time. I bought this headset mostly because it is the only blue headset I have ever seen, and it matches my all blue pc build.

Surround Sound Quality: 5/5
I have tried out Titanfall, Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts, and I do definitely feel like I have an advantage over other players. Think of it this way, you are sitting in a small room with two doors. With a stereo headset, you can hear footsteps, and you know somebody is coming, but you don't know which door they will walk through and have a higher chance of dying. With this headset however, in that same situation, you know which direction the footsteps are coming from, and you have a much higher chance of not dying due to that extra bit of knowledge you wouldn't get with a regular headset. The surround quality in this headset is better than my 5.1 surround sound setup in our media room, so this definitely earns a 5/5 in this category.

Sound Quality: 4/5
I am rating the overall sound quality of this headset a 4/5 for one reason. The virtual surround sound in this headset tries to make all sounds "Surround" your head, and in doing so, it makes anything that isn't a game, or music seem like it's being played in a big stone room with all the sound echoing off of the virtual walls the headset seems to create. You do get used to this effect quickly, and I now kind of like the effect, it makes things seem a bit more real I guess, but I'm just throwing this out there for anybody who might care to know about that.

One last thing for this category, I have seen too many people online complaining about the headset glitching out whenever you have something that is surround sound and something in stereo playing at the same time. (it will rapidly swap between stereo and surround sound and produce a lot of static.) I have found a way to fix this. (This is for windows vista and 7.) You simply open your control panel in windows, go to Hardware and Sound, click on the button that says manage audio devices, and in the playback tab, find something labeled with Logitech G430 Gaming Headset, click on it, and then click properties. It should open up a new window, with the tabs General, Levels, Enhancements and Advanced. Go to Enhancements and find the one in the list labeled "Speaker Fill" check the box next to it and click apply. Basically, what that did was tell your computer to turn all stereo sound into surround sound, and that prevents the scenario where the headset could glitch out.

Mic Quality: 2/5
I am giving this a 2/5 for the reasons I told you about above, the mic is understandable, but does not have good quality. If you simply plan to use it for skype calling with your friends, maybe some in game chat, it will be absolutely fine for you then, but, since I'm a youtuber, I have much higher standards for my mic quality. If you plan to use the mic for business, recording yourself singing, recording videos for youtube, or anything where you need to sound good, consider buying a blue snowball mic, or something comparable to it.

Final thoughts:
So, this headset is overall a good headset for the price, good sound quality, good surround sound emulation, and ok mic quality. I personally have a Blue Snowball microphone, so the mic being not so great on the headset is no big deal for me, but it might be for other people.

I hope that this review has helped you to see the ups and downs of this headset, and help you to decide if it's worth your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars How it fix mic problems-, July 2, 2014
Mostly everything about them so far is great.

You do have to do some research to fix the overlay of the mic and hearing yourself in the headset and auto adjust that makes your mic volume go wonky if you have any kind of back round sound.

To fix hearing yourself in the headset go to your play back devices - go to the properties on your head set then go to levels and turn the mic sound down to 0 problem fixed!
To fix the back round cancellation of the mic so you come out 'normal' on chat programs
in sounds go to 'recording' go to the properties or your mic and go to Advanced from there change the channel to 1 channel,16 bit, 48000 Hz (DvD Quality)

Hope this fixes these problems for anyone else who is having them

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Plastic Garbage but Decent Sound Quality, November 20, 2014

The Logitech G430 headset is a solid piece of gear for PC Gaming. The sound quality, when it was working properly though the awkward and cumbersome Logitech software, was solid if a bit muddled. Mic quality was standard at best and for the price of the headset I was expecting a little bit more.

The biggest let down of these cans is the small plastic that holds the cups in place. After less than 6 months of use the plastic holders have cracked on both sides and are beyond repair to the point that the left ear cup is now dangling and the metal is exposed. I have a large head but taking the headset on and off for only a few months should not cause this kind of damage.

Upon contacting Logtiech to submit a warranty claim they have given me nothing but trouble and excuses simply because I don't have the exact photocopy of my receipt. I admit I should've kept better track of it but the hassle I have been given is unacceptable. They have the gall to tell me to try and contact the store. After 5 and 1/2 months or so of purchases at a busy Best Buy in Las Vegas I sincerely doubt that they would have my receipt on file.

Frustration abound and I'm out $70. I won't be purchasing any Logitech products from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Dolby 7.1 headset for the price, February 3, 2014
The only thing I regret about this purchase so far is that I didn't buy the G430 gaming headphones from Amazon. I had a weekend gaming event to attend, and I couldn't wait for the shipping, so I broke down and bought them elsewhere for roughly the same price. I haven't been disappointed so far. This is my second set of Logitech headphones, and this pair has replaced my wireless set which suffered some sort of power surge from my outlet that fried the wireless transmitter.

I hadn't owned a pair of surround sound headphones prior to buying the G430s and it took some time to adjust to the difference in sound quality after converting from stereo only output. What's even better is that the Logitech software makes testing and adjusting your sound levels much easier than trying to mess with equalizers in the Windows menu system. Keep in mind though that in order to enjoy Dolby 7.1, the feature must be enabled through the Logitech software, AND through the sound control panel for Windows 7 and 8.

The only game I have played so far that uses surround is Battlefield 4 on my PC, and the difference from what I was used to is extreme. The directional audio actually made it possible to detect the direction that enemies were coming/shooting from. I won't say it gave me an edge because I'm a horrible player, but it definitely made me feel like I was part of the battle.

This headset should be totally compatible with the Playstation 4 console since it features a USB adapter, and Sony recently released a Dolby 7.1 support patch to enable the use of gaming headphones. I haven't tested it since I'm waiting on a tax refund so I can buy a PS4, but it should still work even though you can't install device drivers on consoles.

The cord length is just right with this headset, and the protective material is thin enough so that winding it up is easy. The only thing I don't like about the cord is that the volume control wheel is rather small, and the mute toggle feels flimsy enough that I'm afraid it will break after repeated use. The clip is not spring loaded either, so it is possible that it may not survive much wear and tear.

The headset offers decent audio range without distortion, but I felt like the low end base could be a bit more punchy. I haven't noticed any high end distortion so far, but I don't know that I would have noticed with all the explosions and whatnot going on in most of the games I play. I haven't listened to any music with these headphones yet either, so I can't really comment on the mid range treble quality thus far.

Logitech makes all of their gaming headphones in this over the ear design which is nice. The foam can put pressure on the sides of your head after a while, but if you experience discomfort, it's probably best to take a break anyway. I also like the fact that the microphone swings up and down so easily with Logitech cans. Some other gaming mics feel flimsy or are too flexible, but these feel firm enough to stay in place when you need them to.

All in all, I would say the G430s are great headphones for their price range. They were being sold side by side where I bought them with a pair of Razer headphones that didn't offer Dolby 7.1, and they were the same price. For me, the choice was easy. I would recommend these to anyone, and I have recommended them to all of my friends.

(UPDATE)

I have been using these headphones for a few weeks now, and I have a few obervations to add to my review. First off, I can now confirm that these headphones are fully compatible with the Playstation 4 now that the firmware update launched to support Dolby 7.1 headphones. The headset can be used to chat and to receive all audio from the console which is great since I play in my bedroom at night while my children are sleeping across the hall.

One of the drawbacks that I didn't initially discover is that when you are using the microphone to chat, you can't hear your own voice playback through the speakers very well even when the volume is turned up. I haven't played around in the Logitech software suite to adjust this on my PC at all yet, but I know you can't adjust this on the PS4. I guess it's something that I always took for granted with other headphones.

I have also discovered that the simulated surround isn't quite as immersive as I had originally thought. That's not to say it isn't still good. In fact, it still does a much better job of simulating true 3D sound than any stereo headset, but it isn't as good as true surround. All in all, these headphones are still the most comfortable and economical wired headphones I have used so far, and I expect that I will get a ton of use out of them before they wear out.

Still loving the G430s!

4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech "G430" A Critical Review., October 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update: 11-20-13

A professional gamer wrote to clarify what the benefit of a headset that's not completely sealed. Here's his comment and my original review follows below.

CS wrote:

"Just wanted to comment that the foam padding that leaks sound is intentional. As someone who uses completely sealed headphones (Ultrasone 780) I can tell you, the last thing you want for gaming is an airtight seal on your ears. You wanna let them breathe if you're going to use the headset a long time. This makes it very comfortable over time and reduces fatigue."

*** original review ***

I'm not a professional gamer but I do like playing games occasionally. This headset is a very, very nice compliment to online gaming.

First, the set comes large, over-the-head, headphone. Large foam cups on the left and right can drop down or swivel to the side at your convenience.

The input jacks--one for the mic and one for the headphone speakers are connected to a usb interface.

Then you have to go to Logitect's site and download the drivers from their support section. We have Windows 8 Pro but the site gives you option going back to XP.

This is a dynamic 7.1 stereo headphone w/ speaker. But, you can adjust the volume, stereo/ surround and EQ settings in the app that's installed.

*** Testing ***

After having a couple of weeks, the padding doesn't feel as secure as when I first tried them on. I only wear them for up to 2 hours at a time, but my guess is, if you're one of these gamers that doesn't leave her/his chair for hours and hours then you may notice that the sound bleeds through the gaps between the beautiful, but relatively thin foam padding and your ears.

If you enjoy the occasional gaming experience, you probably won't notice the difference between this model and a more expensive model.

*** Pro's and Con's ***

+ Lightweight headphone that you hardly notice.
+ Microphone is very strong.
+ Multiple Sound/ EQ settings
+ Price--In the range for what it offers.
+ Buttons are large and easy to access

4 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, sounds good, problems with software, May 27, 2014
This headset has been one of the better sets I've owned.

Pros

It is comfortable to wear for extended sessions (I'm talking in excess of eight hours) and doesn't leave red marks or a sore feeling. The swiveling ear pieces make it easy for the set to rest on my around my neck and on my chest because it lays flat.
The sound has good treble and bass, but the bass really shines when you have the logitech software enabled and have the 7.1 running.

Cons

The usb piece that allows for the 7.1 functionality via the software has some problems. It doesn't seem like it is able to handle multiple applications running at the same time. It has applications fight each other for being the dominant sound coming through your system which results in this weird effect of them alternating which is louder. This is especially noticeable when you have music playing the in the background as it will frequently and consistently have the volume duck which is very annoying. It also only plays the voices of people over VOIP clients (Mumble, Teamspeak, etc.) through one ear when the surround is disabled which is very strange. As a result I have the surround on 24/7 due to how much I use VOIP. It is unfortunate that the one thing that separates this set from its cheaper red counterpart, the 7.1 surround, doesn't work as it should. It is awesome when it works, but the mere fact that I have to say "when" it works isn't acceptable. Other than that I've been very happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Painful Headband, December 24, 2013
Due to the overall weight of this headset and shape of the foam on the top it puts pressure on the top of your head. The best fix would be for a wider pad at the top.

Overall sound is great and so are the ear pads. I am just disappointed with the headband design.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headset, BAD noise gate., June 4, 2014
This headset is fantastic. Cool colors, nice fit, great sound seal, and great sound in general. However -- this headset has a noise gate on the mic, which basically means it mutes all sounds under a certain volume making it harder for background noise to travel through the mic. At first glance, that may sound great -- but it causes it to cut of the start of your first words every time since it has to unmute before it can transmit, and it makes it very hard to commentate with this mic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price and nothing more., November 4, 2014
Pros:
-Light weight
-Comfortable
-Surround effect is very effective. You can easily tell which direction a sound is coming from.
-Mic quality is good enough that no one will complain
-Appealing to look at
-No obtrusive decoder box.
Cons:
-Base is fairly low.
-Sound in general is fairly low. Volume does not get high(garbage amp?) which doesn't necessarily effect sound quality but it does hinder your perception of the sound. This can be resolved by hooking up the headphone jack directly to your motherboard however the surround effects are then lost which is the most redeeming factor about these headphones.
-You can hear yourself while talking, which means you can also hear everything in the background. If you want to have the noise cancelling effect of the microphone you have to mute your microphone making it so that you may not talk to friends.
-Cable is flimsy and gets tangled very easily. Does not seem very durable.
This will probably get me through a year of gaming until i can afford something better but overall it's just a mediocre headset.

EDIT: -Some games produce a very crackly noise through the USB dongle which also seems to have no fix..specifically for 64bit systems.
For those looking for their games to be louder however try these equalizer settings. They improved the loudness a bit for me.

32Hz: -1
4KHz: 7
8KHz: 5
16KHz: 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, December 30, 2013
I went from the Turtlebeach x41 wireless 7.1 dolby headset to these and i love them.

-Pros:
Drivers cover your entire ears instead of pushing on your ear lobes.
Great quality sound with Dolby 7.1 digital surround sound and a very nice quality boom mic
Very nice braded cable, few to no kinks from packaging
nice build quality
comes with a usb adapter to usb soundcard to 3.5mm audio+mic jack. Very nice.
Logitech has great software for editing everything.

-Cons:
Wired at all times no matter what. (nice because of not having to use batteries but it can be annoying)

-Other opinions:
would be nice to have a sound volume adjustment on the headset and a voice adjustment on the headset
Having the 90degree swivel is nice if you put the headset on your desk or on your neck when you're talking to someone.
has great fabric for your ears and head, takes a bit to get used to but very comfortable afterwards.

For 80$ these compete with 150$ gaming headsets they compete pretty well in my own opinion.