5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers
Published on June 23, 2011 by J. Powell

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing Problems
I purchased this product to replace the Logitech Z5500, which had served well. Unfortunately, the Z906 had a number of flaws that makes this a "no-buy" review.

Published on April 9, 2011 by Geno

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906 (Personal Computers)
Firstly I got these as a replacement for a Logitech Z5500 that had a control pod failure. So I have owned and used both systems. Now if you currently have a Z5500 and are thinking that these would be an upgrade, they are not and you should not get these. To go from the Z5500 to the Z906 is pointless unless you have to. They both have similar stats and both sound roughly the same.

If you are looking to upgrade to a new set of 5.1 speakers, these are an excellent choice. The satellites sound exactly the same as Z5500. Crisp and clear. Very fluid and a warm sound. Also can get very very loud. They also made them much easier to wall mount by just having a bolt hole in the back of it which is an industry standard. They have removed the cloth covers that the Z5500 had but that is just a personal taste thing.

Now when it comes to the sub-woofer, here is where the difference comes into play. The Z5500 has a 10 inch sub, the Z906, an 8 inch sub. You would think that this would cause the system to suffer compared to the Z5500 however this is not the case. The sub-woofer on the Z906 seems to have more of a bass punch to it then the Z5500. While at high volumes however, the Z906 obviously falls prone to being a smaller sub-woofer then Z5500. On bass test tracks it can bottom out or become "farty" before the Z5500 does. So in a sense, it cannot shake up the house/room as much as the Z5500. It still CAN shake up the room and cause things to move however, this still is a powerful sub woofer and sounds better then any PC sub woofer out there. But the plus of this system is the punch it gives at normal listening volume. Another plus is the actual size of the sub woofer box. It is almost half the size of the Z5500. Makes putting the sub and also moving it much easier. Through design they have kept the great sound of the sub woofer and greatly shrunk the size of it.

The control pod also is redesigned for the better. Its much smaller, doesn't have a bright LCD screen on it that can be distracting, and doesn't heat up like the Z5500. Another note is that changing the effect mode of the system is much quicker then the Z5500. It happens instantly, the Z5500 would take about 1 full second to change the effect mode.

The downsides of the system are as follows. The remote control feels really cheap. The buttons have this plastic "clicky" sound/feel when you press a button. Another is having all the inputs on the sub woofer instead of the control pod. Which means you have to have all your devices within roughly 4 feet of the sub woofer. This was probably changed due to the failure of the control pods but its just a minor complaint.

This is an awesome sound system and overall is slightly better then the Z5500 which was already an awesome system. Don't listen to all the people who bought this set expecting to be way better then the Z5500. This is meant to just be newer design. It isn't meant to out perform or out class the Z5500 at all. Worth it if you can get it under $350.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Home Theater with headphone jack, December 9, 2012
open24hours (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Key Feature: the Logitech Z906 speaker system controller has a standard headphone mini jack on the right side. When we plug-in head phones, the system switches-off external speakers. The volume nob will then control sound level to the headphones. I use a 9 foot extension cord for the headphones (for those late-night action movies when everyone else in the house is asleep).

I was hesitant about getting this system until I read in another review that we can plug-in headphones.

The sub-woofer delivers rich deep sound, which we can hear and feel in games and movies. But you can turn-it down for apartments. The Logitech controller has a selector for separate volume adjustment (up or down) on each part of the 5.1 system. The high-range speakers are crisp.

I am very pleased with these speakers and I do shop carefully for high quality sound. Although the discriminating high-end audiophile probably would not be satisfied (yet) with the Logitech speaker system. (Maybe we will see powered speakers to meet high end audio rivals in future.)

What I love about the Logitech powered speakers is, we no longer need the receiver. We just plug into the television and simply use the relatively small speaker control box for volume adjustment (including adjustments to individual parts of the 5.1 surround).

Our Logitech Z906 speakers are connected to a Sony Bravia 46-inch LCD HD television with a single optical cable. All our home theater devices (Apple TV, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii, cable television DVR) are connected directly to the television, not the speakers. We use the television as the device input selector.

I was very happy to replace our big heavy Yamaha receiver and Bose speakers with the Logitech powered speakers. Sound from the Yamaha / Bose combination was beautiful, but it was only a stereo system, not surround sound. And it was time to move-on to a simpler set-up with fewer wires. Since televisions are no longer just the video monitor and we now use it as the device selector, we no longer need an external "stereo receiver" to switch input devices. I don't know why powered speakers still have not hit main stream. I still see most speaker systems requiring a receiver to power them. For me the receiver is an extra box not needed and the Logitech 5.1 speaker system proves it - big time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the money, with some minor flaws, January 25, 2013
I have been looking for a replacement for my old Z5300 system as it is more than 10 years old now, and I find it really outdated. In addition, as my old speaker set does not have any other connectors than analog, it is highly dependent on a computer connection in order to be able to produce accurate 5.1 channel playback from dvd and blue-ray digital sources.

As I have several digital sources around, I thought this new toy would substitute the pc and will process all digital audio directly. At this point the new Z906 does not fail at all, however people that plan to use it as a centralized audio system should have some in mind.

First of all let me clarify that I have carefully read the user guides of all audio sources at home before making the purchase, because I have found that users report the z906 is unable to decode 5.1 and 7.1 Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus signals and plays only 2.1 stereo. I came to the conclusion that people are often mislead and fail to understand some basics of what signal is transferred from their sources to the z906. This misunderstanding will lead to unsatisfactory results with any other audio system, so I think it is worth sharing here as well.

MISS CONCEPT 1 - Optical SPDIF / TOSLINK always transfers surround sound, so if you connect two devices via optical cable you must expect surround sound.

Terribly wrong - optical connection is just another cable that transfers the audio content from the source to the output system. If the content does not have 5.1 or 7.1 audio streams encoded into it, the optical connection does not 'expand' it, unless the source system (computer, tv, dvd/blue ray device) is capable of digitally expanding it. So if you expect that playing your favorite cd or mp3 will become 5.1 surround because of the optical connection - forget about it.

And in this aspect feature no 1 of the z906 comes handy. The system is capable to expand 2 channel audio accross all the 5 speakers, which makes possible listening music to all 5 speakers. In reference to my old z5300, the overall quality is much improved from all satellite speakers, and the bass is much softer, with more attack. Z5300 is too boomy, and the bass it produces lacks attack so it sounds a bit too heavy.

MISS CONCEPT 2 - These speakers are unable to handle 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus content.

This belief is partly true, but it is due to some misunderstanding of the Dolby codec. The truth is that Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with Dolby Digital, it just carries 2 more streams. These two streams usually are sent to middle speakers left and right when the content is played out via 7.1 audio system. As Z906 is 5.1 system it is just unable to output the remaining two streams to the correct speakers. For those that want to have a realistic, correct output of all 7 audio channels, the Z906 IS NOT the right choice, so they better get some 7.1 surround system instead.

MISS CONCEPT 3 - I have all my digital devices connected to my tv via HDMI and I have connected my tv with the Z906 via the toslink, but Z906 is unable to play the 5.1 audio.

WRONG, SO WRONG - HDMI supports 7.1 audio transfer from source to target, and this is true, so your TV receives 7.1 audio for sure. However, most TVs DO NOT bypass the HDMI audio directly to the optical out. Instead they downmix it to 2 audio streams and send it to the optical out.
Some TV's have a setting in their menu that controls the SPDIF output, whether it should output surround sound or stereo, however this setting controls how multi-channel audio streams of TV broadcast is transferred to external audio. You should carefully read the user manual of your inter-connected devices in order to correctly understand their output capabilities.
My experience so far shows that most devices DO NOT pass HDMI audio directly to the optical out. Instead they downmix to stereo, so you have to plan your connections ahead.
Here I find one good point for Z906 and one bad.
The good point is that Z906 allows for connection up to 6 audio sources, so you can have at least 3 SPDIF capable devices connected to it, so you will be able to play the multi-channel content on it.
The bad point is - there's no HDMI in / out ports, which means you cannot use the Z906 as audio hub and connect all HDMI devices to it(e.g. dvd, game console, etc) and connect the z906 to your tv. If you want to do this kind of connection - go and search for a different system.
Bear in mind though, that the Z906 is a targeted versatile PC speaker platform, so it is primarily supposed to work with a PC, rather than like a stand-alone home theater system, so I guess it is some sort of excuse for the lack of HDMI in / out ports.

Bearing all of the above in mind, I have connected a TV and a Bluray to the Z906 via optical cables, and a PC via the coaxial SPDIF and I am more than satisfied from the results.

When I am watching a blue ray dvd - I have 5.1 surround sound with exceptional quality.
When watching TV in most cases I use the matrix 3d option of the Z906 to have surround sound on, except for HD programs which have true surround sound.
When playing games on the pc I enjoy the 5.1 sound as well handled via the coaxial cable.
My TV is capable of playing digital content over DLNA, so when I watch a movie over DLNA which is 5.1 surround, the TV outputs true 5.1 sound via the toslink, so I get the true surround in this case as well.

Overall quality of the system is really high. Mount points for the speakers are standard and easy to mount. The sub delivers tremendous bass and has clear and sturdy attack feel to it. In reference to the z5300 the bass is a giant leap ahead.

The reasons for me to give 4 stars instead of five are the following:

1. Lack of HDMI in/out ports which would make this system a true versatile player that may cause higher-priced competitors to sweat a bit.
2. There's no heatsink at the back of the sub, so this is a step back from the Z5300. The sub, when played loud long enough produces relatively large amount of heat, and I find the lack of the heatsink a major backdraft.
3. There's no protection fuse. The old Z5300 relies on the good ol'fashioned fuse to handle overloads and power surges. The Z906 has only electronic protection, which causes the device to turn off if you play loud for quite some time. I guess the electronic protection also takes care of overheating, still I consider the electronic protection not trusty and to me this is a step back.
4. The remote control is way too cheap looking. They might have made some effort in this direction.

Overall I am more than satisfied with the purchase, and I hope this toy will last for another 5-10 years like the old one. I am quite happy with the decoding capabilities of the devices, so the THX mark on it is not just a marketing trick. I am not fond of listening too loud, however as long as I have tested it - this toy shakes the room in every aspect. Sound from all satellites is clear and crisp, and high quality audio streams are reproduced with very high detail.
Movie surround sound makes you look in the sound direction, so to my extent this is what is expected from such a system.
I don't have any complaints regarding cables connecting the speakers, as I ave replaced them with higher quality ones bought separately and I've never tested the stock ones. All in all - I love the toy and would highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing Problems, April 9, 2011
Geno (Wilmette, IL 60091) - See all my reviews

1. The quality of sound coming from the (500w!) system was markedly lower than the Z5500 -- particularly from the subwoofer, which is about 30% smaller than with the older system. While apparently good enough to be "THX-certified," nevertheless when connected to a PC with the same (new) soundcard, the bass was less powerful and tinny,and the front channel speakers, even after adjustment, had a thin sound quality.

2. More importantly, the control unit was a dud. After about 1-2 minutes of playing, the unit would turn itself off and no audio would play. The unit had to be manually turned off and on (accompanied by a loud crackle) to restore the sound, which would then go off again 1-2 minutes later. When calling Logitech support, they advised me to reset the unit (by powering the control unit down, and then pressing the input button for 8 seconds). This restored the sound for a slightly longer time (4 minutes) and then the unit again shut itself off. When I called Logitech Support again, they admitted this new product must have some manufacturing defect and they could not troubleshoot. They advised me to return the product to the retailer, which I have done through Amazon's easy return system.

When I checked the Logitech forums, I realized that several others (in the US, in Germany) reported the same problem with the Z906. For Logitech's flagship audio product, this unit was a disappointing downgrade from the solidity, ease-of-use, and better sound quality of the Z5500. If anyone has a recommendation for a replacement system (particularly a non-Logitech system) for use at a PC, let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Compact Surround Sound System, December 19, 2011
Rawim (Palmdale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was really my first surround sound system, and I can say I am pleased.

This system is compact, one compact center channel speaker, a left and right compact speaker, a compact left and right rear speaker, and a nice sized subwoofer. Everything is hard wired and operated by a small control unit that is wired to the subwoofer. All the inputs and speaker outputs go through the subwoofer.

Available inputs are 2 toslink, 1 coax, 1 RCA and one computer style with 3 3.5mm jacks.

The unit can be operated with an included IR remote that lets you select inputs, volume and effects.

And the effects available are: f

Full DTS sound, where the unit decodes the full digital 5.1 signal.

Simulated surround sound which uses all speakers.

A quad sound , where the system uses only the front and rear left and right speaker and the subwoofer.

And a straight stereo which just uses the front speaker and subwoofer.

So a bunch of different options depending on what you want to do, but I don't understand why you wouldn't want the full 5.1.

The sound quality for a more compact style system is great for me. I have the system set up in my mancave running optical line from my SAT box and Xbox 360 and I am more then happy with all the sound quality.

From the reviews I guess the previous sound system to this was better, but I have no qualms with this system, good bright sound, a subwoofer that will rattle windows if you have it up loud enough and nice looking setup.

If you have any questions about the system please feel free to leave a comment and I will be happy to answer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound but Lacking in Features and Little Touches, August 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Seven or eight years ago, I bought the predecessor to this system, the Z-5500, and it turned out to be one of the great bargains of my tech buying life. Everything else in my life has changed, but there sits the Z-5500 on my wife's desk pumping out decent surround sound and experience enhancing subwoofs. And now into the house comes its successor, the Z-906 with just about the same quality of sound--very good for the money--and yet my major impression is disappointment as Logitech missed the opportunity to modernize the system and instead made this release about cutting manufacturing costs and losing functionality.

So, as unfair as it might be to the Z-906, this review has to be in comparison to what came before, as what came before shows what was possible in a desktop surround system.

I should define the category this system falls in. It is a surround system for the desktop, usually meant to be attached to a personal computer, and as one adds components--Blu-Ray players, Roku boxes, AppleTVs--they attach with a DVI cable to a shared monitor and a separate audio cable to this speaker system. Ideally, you would fill up the three digital connectors first, the ones with potential for surround sound, and leave the analog inputs for simple stereo devices like iPods. This is not a proper home theatre receiver which would become the hub of both audio and video by taking multiple HDMI cables in and a single HDMI cable out to a television. Because of the lack of HDMI, there is no chance for decoding the advanced codecs found on Blu-Ray disks or handling uncompressed digital audio with more than 2 channels. (Well I guess you could use a specialized PC sound card to use the included 6 channel analog cable to allow your PC to do this decoding, so there is a chance for desktop computer users.) As such, this device is in a very narrow category, a major step up from the typical desktop speakers thrown in with computers, but not able to compete in a feature race with home theatre systems the consumer can cobble together or get as a home theatre in a box system.

An example of the need for HDMI support came up this week. I'm taking delivery of a Roku 2 XS streaming media player. It has no optical output, just HDMI and analog stereo. I'll have to purchase a rather pricey HDMI switch, like this one, with TOSLink output to compensate, which will further complicate my system and make it less reliable when switching between devices, as well as being another power sink.

Setup is quick for anyone familiar with where surround speakers go. The rear speaker cables are very long to allow circuitous routes along walls and under couches. Everything plugs into the subwoofer including the inputs. This is a bit of a downgrade from the Z-5500 where the inputs plugged into the desktop control unit, so when I put the Z-906 in the Z-5500's place I had to find longer optical cables to reach all the way down to the subwoofer. At least there are two optical (TOSLink) ports, a welcome addition from the one optical port in its predecessor.

Sound is quite good. Not spectacular or showy. If the THX label means anything it means you are given an accurate experience of what the artist intended, not overly boomy or processed. Some may complain that the subwoofer is smaller than the one in the Z-5500, and that it will not shake the room as much at full power but that is the least of my complaints, I never turn a speaker system all the way up and don't enjoy being inundated by sound just shy of painfully loud. There is a "3D" mode which at least gets some 2 channel sound into the center channel, which makes me happy while watching most Netflix content.

The speaker hardware is better than OK. I've been listening to some piano jazz with them, and the sound is clean and crisp. I much prefer the appearance of the new speakers to the old, too; the metal grills look nice, and while the speakers no longer have integrated mounting brackets, I always thought the old brackets were eye sores. So, I'm fine with the new speakers just having standard 1/4" 20 threads per inch mounting holes. You can leave them sitting on the desk or mount them to the walls with a few dollars spent at the hardware store and a bit of creativity. I ordered a pair of pre-made mounts, but that is hardly mandatory. One issue I am concerned about is that the speakers have 4 Ohms of impedance, which is a bit hot (high amperage), and will limit my ability to reuse them in other configurations in the future. For example, my Denon home theatre receiver supports a recommended impedance range of 6-16 Ohms. As I already have a nice center channel speaker mounted over my TV, I set aside the included center; the third party speaker (an Aperion 4C) has an 8 Ohm impedance, but seems to work fine, I'll just play with the levels from the control unit--and, yes, this likely ruins the THX balance.

The subwoofer seems more cheaply made than its predecessor and lacks the large heat sink which dominated its back. I miss the solid industrial design and visible bolts holding it firmly together. Still it does its job.

The control unit is the most glaring regression. What was metal and glass with an LCD display is now cheap plastic and LED indicator lights. I miss the big metal volume control which was literally my favorite feature of the old system. At least Logitech has used nice soothing amber LEDs instead of the blinding blue ones other manufacturers use to keep me awake at night. Also no indication of support for the 96 kHz PCM input mode available to the Z-5500.

The remote is simple enough, good, but could use dedicated input switching buttons as I'd rather not go tap, tap, tap, tap, tap to get from the second optical input to the first.

Energy efficiency is much improved though. When off, the unit is really off with 0 Watts of power detected by my Kill-A-Watt. The previous unit had a large standby wattage of 12W. Whether this lack of warmup power affects the sound quality I'll leave to the audiophiles. However, the unit still drains 20 Watts while on, so the conservation minded should remember to turn it off while not in use or program their universal remote to do so.

In summary. This is not junk. It's a fine desktop audio system, feature slippage from its predecessor not withstanding. I'm just not sure about the utility of buying this versus investing in a low end HDMI based receiver system and then gradually upgrading the components. After migrating my TV room to a receiver as hub system, I wouldn't want to go back to managing separate audio and video pathways, and a real receiver would shine at getting the full master audio experience out of BluRays. This system doesn't seem has if it will last in usefulness as long as its predecessor did in a world where audio and video mostly go through the same cable. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Sound, July 25, 2011
I had a Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 510D for about 10 years now, and it finally gave out (amp/receiver/sub won't power up). I had used that system both for 4.1 music (in office/living room), 5.1 movies (in living room), and as a 2.1 PA system for music in a approximately 30x30 wooden floor dance area. That system had great quality, filled each of the areas use with clear treble and booming bass.

My goal was to replace this system with something of equal quality. I tried out the Sony MHCEC909iP Mini Hi-Fi Shelf System, Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906 (980-000467), and the Logitech THX-Certified Speaker System Z623. The 906 is the best system out of these 3, hands down, for all the above applications. The 906 has the best clarity out of these systems and at only 40% volume makes my floor vibrate with the bass. This system seems better than the 510D that it replaced, but I cannot do a side by side comparison as the 510D no longer works. Rating the other systems in order, I'd say the 623 is better than the Sony. I am primarily basing this on their quality for music in 2.1 modes and the distance they can throw sound. Additionally I viewed a number of Blu-ray movies in 5.1 mode on the 906 and it was quite amazing.

6 inputs (the 5 advertised on the sub + 1 auxiliary on the control unit) let me hook up all my devices at once, which is a HUGE bonus to me. I have (on the sub) a X360 and PS3 each hooked up via the 2 opticals, TV out to the SPDIF (Digital RCA), an HTPC via 3x 1/8in, an airport express for airtunes via 2x RCA; and (on the control unit) an auxiliary cable for laptops/ipods. Each input remembers its "effects" setting -- you can choose 3D for 5.1 sources or to "upchannel" lesser sources into 5.1 (C gets a FL/FR mix, RL/RR get a LPF of FL/FR); the 4.1 setting will take a 2.1 source and map FL/FR to RL/RR (good for music); and the 2.1 setting is for no-upchanneling.

As a note: the PS3 and X360 both turn on and off their optical output while in XMB/Dashboard, so some of the sounds get clipped on this system. The system's optical inputs seem to take a moment to "warm up" when a signal is supplied -- since these devices do not supply a constant signal, the beginning of sounds get clipped. During gameplay or movies, a constant signal is provided and is not a problem. I suspect this is a sort of safety feature to prevent audio popping. I have not tried optical inputs/outputs using any other devices, only ever used analog before. Maybe this is normal behavior for this type of connection.

The remote is small and plastic, but doesn't feel cheap to me; felt very light without the batteries in, it felt better with the batteries. The control unit feels solid to me. The amp/receiver/sub unit is a bit heavier than it looks. The satellite speakers are definitely heavier than they look; they're also quite sturdy -- as one fell off of the stand I had and it damaged the floor and not itself (hardwood floor) [it still sounded fine, no rattles or hisses or dampening].

I don't know how this unit compares to the 5500. I have listened to a 2300 fairly often at work and the 906 seems a bit clearer. Both have room shaking bass.

I am going to purchase Atlantic Satellite 77305018 2 Speaker Stands (Black) to go with this system, I will attempt to edit this post or post a review there detailing if they're any good with this system. Edit/Update: The stands are compatible and work great. (Update: They work great. Stable and solid.)

While I would believe that a dedicated Amp/Receiver and a multi-thousand dollar system could outperform this system, I believe that this system is sufficient for most people not attempting to fill a large hall with sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS, February 18, 2014
This speaker set up is PERFECT! I heard the older model was better and that is B.S. This sub is crisp and pure and the sound sounds like a theater in my study room hooked up to my Alienware Computer. Movies and Games EXPLODE using this system. I only crank it to 70% and my place is rumbling pens off my desk!!! GET THIS THE OTHER SYSTEM IS OVER RATED AND WAAAAY OVERPRICED Plus you can change the speakers if you like! AMAZING FEATURE TO HAVE FOR THIS PRICE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boom Boom Pow, January 3, 2013
Amazing sound system. I precisely put every speaker in every corner of the room for theater like experience and "Oh! Boy ... These are amazing".

Wiring is simple and easy, except for wire clutters. Has total of 6 inputs ... 1) For Computer ... 2) R/L Stereo ... 3) Optical 4) Optical 5) Digital 6) Aux

I am feeding Optical Inputs from DVR and Apple TV + Digital input from my TV. That's all you need for superior sound quality. OR, you could just connect Digital cable straight from your TV Digital output and not have to worry about changing channel every now and then but I had two extra Optical Cables, so I went ahead and connected them.

Pros:
Great Product for the price. Similar "Hi-End" system will cost at least $600.00+. Example, Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Entertainment Speaker System.

Cons:
Wish there was a way to increase or reduce Bass manually, but there isn't.
If Logitech could add auto channel scan for inputs and stay on that channel until manual override, it could make life much simpler for others who do not know what channel is hooked to what system. For instance, if PS3 is powered up and DVR &&& Apple TV is turned off, it should be able to scan for next channel and switch to PS3 sound automatically. If more than one system is turned on at the same time, glow two channel LEDs and let user choose what channel they want to listen to rather than toggle between 6 different channels to find the right one turned on.

Gets 5 stars no matter what. My Cons are visionary; does not apply to every audience. I couldn't think of anything else for the Cons so went ahead and added my own stuff. Nonetheless, product is highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Power and sound quality wins, appearance and some functions a loss, October 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I take it to heart to give honest reviews and what/how my expectations are met. The Z906 met my expectations in the sound quality and power areas, but left quite a bit in the appearance/functionality. I will break them down quickly for you to make your own final opinion.

The power of the system was great for a small home theater. Walls shook, floors vibrated, and it was loud enough to not turn it all the way up to be totally immersed. The bass kicked out plenty (being able to tune it more would be a bonus based on room sizing or position). The speakers stayed clear even cranked up.

Sound quality matches the power aspect above as I led into. I hooked a few devices in via optical and RCA with great results. All were clear and I was easily able to adjust the effects for different results.

Now the appearance and overall functionality.
First I will start with the packaging. Smartly organized and a great look. The speakers were neatly laid out and packed under the remote. Each cable was there, 3 short and 2 long. I wish they had been labeled or grouped together, but it was easy to work out once opening. The subwoofer was in it's own internal box with a nice handle to remove it.

The remote was terribly disappointing in feel and simplicity. I appreciate not too many buttons and making things easy, but the cheap plastic is waiting to crack. The buttons feel like they may pop in and get stuck or break.

Setup was a matter of minutes running the necessary wires and connecting the DVD player to test.

The subwoofer must sit within a few feet of the controller with the cable that connects them. So no way to place it well into a corner for maximum sound. Not to mention every component connects to the back of the sub, not the controller. Long cables would have been needed. Otherwise the subwoofer was of good weight and quality and looked sleek. I was happy with that. More connection possibilities would have been wanted on the back panel.

Each speaker was well made and look great. No external power needs, just the cable that runs to the subwoofer. The single standard mount point makes it dead simple to buy any wall or stand to put them on. They all have rubber strips underneath to stand them on a table or media center as well.

The control unit was a mixed feeling. It was easy to operate and even the kids jumped right in to change settings. The look was a bit cheap, but the amber lights were well lit to show what setting was in use and then faded out after a few seconds of adjusting to save ambient light. That was greatly appreciated. However the short cable to connect to the subwoofer and the type of plastic they used made it look a bit cheap. It is a dull grey and could have used something to step it up a bit.

The speaker wire provided was standard 18 gauge. This allows you to easily get longer cables for large rooms. I wish they had included at least 1 optical audio cable. This would immediately add value and I know those are not expensive cables to include with the pricing on Amazon for one. Tripp Lite A102-02M Digital Optical Audio Cable with 2 Toslink connectors - 2M (6ft) as an example. Search for more options.

So overall I am pleased with it and think they did a good job of entering into a market with a simple to use, set up and affordable theater sound system. They missed out on a few look and quality areas, maybe to save costs, but that would have made this toward all 5 stars. Well worth the cost if you are looking to enter into such a system without breaking the bank for your first or additional smaller system.

UPDATE ON Nov 20, 2011: Well it seems to have died. The control unit now has two of the lights that always stay on. The remote or power button turn it off but then it pops right back on in under a minute with the same two lights. Nothing in the plastic control unit (I discussed above) works anymore. The dials spin but make no change. The buttons click but make no change. Of course this is the only want to get any usage out of the entire thing in through the plastic control unit that plugs into the subwoofer. So back in the box i goes.

Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906