5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding and comfortable earphones
I was looking for a new set of earphones to replace my two-years old Apple in-ear earphones and after many tests I decided to keep these Logitech UE 500vi.

Published on February 5, 2011 by Luca

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until they break
First let me say that the sound quality and sound isolating properties of these headphones are amazing. Love them for that but there is an unfortunate dark side that needs to be told.

Published on March 9, 2012 by Blake Marvin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding and comfortable earphones, February 5, 2011

My absolute requirement was to get a decent sounding earphone with in-line controls for my iPhone. I don't use the phone much for making phone calls but I love the possibility to control volume and play/pause/skip etc from the cable while my phone is tucked away in my backpack or pocket.

I ordered (and then returned thanks to the great Amazon return policy) the following earphones:

Etymotic ER23-HF3 - Extremely uncomfortable for my ear canals. I would really have hard time to fit them. Sound quality is very good but it would take me too long to fit them correctly and after only 10 minutes my ears would hurt (not for the sound but for the awkward position).

Klipsch Image S4i - Again great sound but extremely uncomfortable for my ears. These units are built like a little cone with the base facing your ear canal. The edge of the cone would push on the inside of my ear.

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 - I know, these do not have volume control on the wire but since the wire is replaceable I considered the possibility of making one my own from a cheap pair of iPhone headphones. Sound quality is absolutely impressive! The best I've ever heard. They are also quite comfortable. Too bad these earphones stick out a lot and not only make you look like a dude from outer space but there is no way you can use them leaning your side of you head on a pillow. These are professional devices and need to be used for that purpose. Too much for me!

Sennheiser MM 70 iP - Good sound quality. Don't like the J wire too much (the right ear-bud wire goes behind your neck). I compared these directly with the UE 500Vi and the UE have a much fuller sound.

I decided to stick with the UE 500 Vi because the sound quality is very good, the audio controls are easy to access, ear-buds are extremely small, comfortable and fit flush with the ear. From a sound point of view I would rate the TripleFi the best of the bunch followed by the HF3 and then UE and last Klipsch and Sennheiser. Mind you all of these sets are very good but the UE have fuller basses and crispier highs than S4i and MM70.

Construction: The material of the ear-buds looks and feels like cheap plastic. Wires are flat, no complains so far. Control feels good and button have a good click feedback. Plug is bent 90° at the end which I think is great.

They come with five additional silicone ear cushions pairs. The package also includes a carrying plastic case with a very flimsy hinge and will probably break soon.

So far I am very satisfied with these earphones. I realize there are better sounding earphones out there but in my opinion these offer the best overall compromise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Falls short on the Bass response....but delivers everywhere else., November 23, 2010
This review is from: Logitech Ultimate Ears 500 Noise-Isolating Earphones - Dark Silver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Good:
The Ultimate Ears 500 Delivers crystal clear sound with beautiful rendering of acoustic, rock, classical and hip hop.
The noise cancellation works better than expected for most in ear earphones (you can barely hear someone speaking to you at 3 feet).
The flat cable is nearly tangle free. It does exhibit some memory (stays coiled if you stored it coiled). The cable has a right angle at the connector and feels very strong. Also, the cable is 4 feet long (I measured it) which is great for taller people who put their mp3 player in their pants pockets.
I'm 5'10" and I can put my iphone in my cargo shorts pockets and the cord still has some slack.

Comes with 6 different ear cushions to fit any size ear, which is important to get sound isolation and optimize bass response.
You really can wear them over the ear comfortably which helps them stay on better if your running.
The packaging is elegant and is a page from the apple playbook.

The Bad:
The one fault of the sound quality of these earphones is the bass response. When listening to music that is bass heavy, the bass response is average (but still blows away any stock earbuds). If you primarily listen to hip hop or rap, these may not be the best choice for you.
I wish these had a microphone. This isn't really a negative because they aren't advertised with a mic...it'd just be nice.
When you run with these headphones and you rub the cords on your shirt, there is some cable noise (microphonics) which translates into a scraping or rubbing sound to your ears. If you wear the cables over your ears, this almost completely removes this cable noise with these earphones.

The Review:

If you're looking for a replacement for those white ipod earbuds these earphones definitely should be near the top of your list.

The sound fidelity is crystal clear and the noise reduction works great.

I think these would also be great for active people/ runners as they are comfortable for long periods of time and when you wear the cables over the ear there is no cable noise when it rubs on your collar or shirt.

People who travel on airplanes or public transportation or any noisy environment will appreciate the noise isolation that lets you enjoy your music without distraction.

For under $100 it would be hard to find a better value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the best I've worn, February 17, 2011
I've been looking for a quality pair of earphones with mic and iPod controls for some time now ever since my in-ear Apple earphones cut off on one side, and it's safe to say that these Ultimate Ears will (hopefully) have me satisfied for a very long time. These earphones surpass the quality of all the models I've used in the recent past: Creative EP-630s (good, but the Ultimate Ears are in another class), Shure SE115-RDs (tones are too artificial and metallic), and even Klipsch S4s (which are similarly priced and are superb but just don't seem to feature audio that's as detailed as the Ultimate Ears).

PROS:

+Disclaimer: I'm no audio engineer. However, I do know that these earphones feature great sound--the entire range of frequencies from the lowest lows to the highest highs sounds wonderful with utmost clarity. I listen to a wide variety of genres from rock to classical to rap, and nothing has disappointed me so far. The level of detail that I am able to discern in my music thanks to these earphones is amazing--and with these `phones, I WAS actually able to hear elements of songs that I haven't heard previously despite having played them hundreds of times.

+Numerous reviews for the non-mic-and-control version of these earphones complain about their lack of bass. Either Logitech improved the bass for this version, or those reviewers simply weren't wearing their earphones correctly, because the bass ranks among the best I have experienced in any pair of earphones. On a bass-heavy track, the low frequencies simply consume the listener without being overblown or sacrificing clarity.

+The cord is essentially impossible to tangle. I'm someone who stuffs their earphones into their pocket, and after taking them back out, I've had no cord-untying adventures as of yet. The flat design is really cool, and the controls on the right side are conveniently placed and responsive. The piece of plastic containing the actual jack is also bent at 90 degrees, which to me seems to reduce the risk of the cord pulling out the jack.

+Five sizes of ear cushions as well as Comply foam tips means that these will fit for nearly everyone. The foam tips conform to your ears and are great at blocking out noise.

+Cord is a bit long for me (about 4 feet), but I think this would be a pro for many people.

CONS:

-Grabbing the cord and/or having objects come into contact with the cord can cause a lot of extraneous noise. Usually not a big issue, but the problem is there.

-The included carrying case is an oddly-shaped, cheap-feeling plastic clamshell that I feel will have limited use among most customers.

-My last experience with Ultimate Ears was not great--the earphones had exceptional sound, but one side cut off within a few months. Hoping that it won't happen with these.

SUMMARY:
After using these for a week and having no problems, I fully recommend these earphones to anyone looking for a well-priced model with great sound reproduction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until they break, March 9, 2012
Blake Marvin (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews

I'm on my 3rd replacement pair so far. First pair's volume/track toggle/mic was DOA, second pair lasted 2 months until the volume/mic toggle went dead. I use these for office use and in my car (i have 2 pairs) so there are no moisture/work out sweat related damage, just bad QC on logitech's part. My other gripe is the silicon ear nubs popping off at the slightest bit of movement. If you put these in your jeans when not in use and you try to take them out 9 times out of 10 the ear pieces will pop off and end up on the street or in between your car seats. this is obnoxious and makes living with them super frustrating. the only reason i put up with all of this is they are great sounding headphones and are excellent at blocking out outside noise. sadly i'm through with the bad quality control and the silicon ear pieces popping off so i'm on to look for a different product. so sad logitech/UE, you were so close.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the cost! (UPDATED), July 25, 2013
After having a pair of UE 100 earphones that are on the verge of ripping from the cord for nearly 3 years, I decided it was time to upgrade and replace my headbuds. Considering my last pair of UE headphones lasted so long (3 years in comparison to the usual 6-9 months tops for every other pair I've had for the past 6 years), I settled on upgrading to a pair of UE 500 earphones and I'm glad the quality and sound is not only better and clearer than my UE 100s (which now sound downright cloudy, for lack of better words, in comparison), but that the colors of the earphones are nice and subdued (making them easier to hide). For anyone looking for a basic pair of headphones with great sound, these are the best and definitely worth the money.

UPDATE: Wow, only two MONTHS later and I'm experiencing a the exact same problem other reviewers have noted: The left earbud dropped ENTIRELY in sound quality. While the right earbud plays as perfectly as the day I purchased them, the left sounds drastically WORSE than a cheap pair of earphones. To be honest, at this rate I doubt it will even play sound considering how everything sounds so muted through it as of now. Hopefully theres a warranty for these, this kind of quality is absolutely unacceptable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Headphones.... While they last., April 11, 2013
I just got my FIFTH replacement pair yesterday! These are really really awesome headphones, but they do indeed have a major design flaw. The plastic used to make the cord is the problem. The plastic material starts out really nice and flexible. After a month or two depending on climate it seems, the rubber/plastic "dries out" and becomes extremely ridged. This adds significant stress to the junction points, i.e. base of earbuds, near the jack, the microphone on both sides and the volume control on both sides. Basically anywhere the cord connects to something else. The stress points become frayed and rapidly cause the very thin copper core to break apart, resulting in malfunction. I have tried everything to try to prevent this... Tape to reinforce the stress points, epoxy, super glue. etc... Super glue seemed to work the best but it just frayed with the rest of the rubber/plastic after a short time. Logitech is very good at replacing these... They don't even make me send the old ones back... But still... it is a major inconvenience to have to do this constantly, and what happens when the warranty runs out? I can't believe that Logitech is will to spend this kind of money replacing these items instead of just redesigning the line or replacing it. They must be aware of this defect by now..

Bottom line: These headphones fail after 1-2 months. This a 100% certainty due to a design flaw, not just an abstract possibility.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great noise canceling performance and good response for this price range, December 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own about 10 different pairs of noise canceling earphones from brands like Shure, Maximo iMetal, Philips, Zune Premium V2, Altec Lansing in the $30-$100 range. These UE headphones perform very nicely for their price range of about $50. The sound fidelity is great in the highs and lows, I like them perhaps a shade more than my Philips SHE9800 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics although I think the Shure SE115-K Sound Isolating Earphones with Dynamic Microspeaker II (Black)are a shade better in the highs reproduction, but also more expensive.

The flat no tangle cord is nice, and the length is adequate. The cord feels very sturdy unlike the cord which comes with their super expensive but super good Triple Fi 10 headphones. I also like that these earphones come with so many ear cushions plus comply foam tips that conform to your ears. If needed more replacements are available on Amazon.

There is a 500 vi version with a mic for those who want to use it with a phone. The other models in their range are UE 200 which are cheaper with very nice fidelity although not as good as these. There is also a UE 700 version with a "dual" armature which creates very nice sound with separation.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Logitech Ultimate Ears Headset Works Well with My Apple Iphone 4; However the Ear Buds Come Off After Continual Use, July 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Several months ago I invested in an Apple Iphone 4 because I was tired of lugging around a separate MP3 player for my music, a digital camera for taking photographs and a cell phone for calling friends and relatives while traveling. I wanted a portable device that would be a combination of everything I needed. I am quite happy with my Iphone 4, which has a beautiful, sleek design; it is solid black with a burgundy bumper case. Unfortunately, the headset that came with it is white and clashes horribly with my Iphone 4. I was very grateful for the Logitech Ultimate Ears 500vi Noise-Isolating Headset because its design is not only more complementary but it also functions remarkably better with my Iphone 4.

What I love most about the Logitech headset is that it doesn't get tangled up into a big knot like ALL the other headsets I've owned. The cord on the Logitech headset is flat. I don't waste five to ten minutes trying to untangle it. It's miraculous. As I've stated earlier, it complements my black Iphone 4, making it appear more attractive and tasteful. Also, it blocks out more noise than any other headset I've owned. Its noise cancelling capability is remarkable. The first time I put the ear buds into my ears I noticed a big difference. I became nearly deaf. I could barely hear any outside noises. When I was wearing them inside my apartment, I couldn't hear my oven timer going off. Fortunately, I was merely preheating the oven and not actually baking anything. I can see why many might consider these headsets safety hazards when operating a vehicle.

The Logitech headset came neatly packaged in a cardboard box that can be reused for storage. See the photographs that I have posted on this website. I hate opening plastic, clamshell packages that are worthless after they've been torn into and ripped apart. At least I have a box that can be used for storing the documentation, extra ear bud cushions and protective hard case when they are not being used. The user guide is very easy to read and understand. I didn't need a magnifying glass like I did for so many other manuals that came with electronic devices. The XS size soft ear cushions are the most comfortable fit for my ears. I use the protective hard case for storing the white headset that came packaged with my Apple Iphone 4.

I use my Apple Iphone 4 more for listening to music than I do for anything else. The on-cord controls allow me to easily increase and decrease the volume of a particular song. All of my songs are downloaded from Amazon. Some are inexplicably louder than others. Therefore, the volume adjuster is a necessity. Pausing a song is also easy; this is essential for when I want to make a phone call. If I am walking outdoors while listening to music and someone I know approaches me, I have to remove the ear buds in order to speak with them because the noise cancelling capability is very powerful.

Using the on-cord controls to repeat a song, advance to the next song, and reverse to the previous one was more difficult initially. Even today, it is still sporadic. However, usage became easier as time progressed. One must exercise patience. It is best to attempt to repeat a song when it has barely finished instead of waiting until the next track is already playing. The on-cord controls for the Logitech headset function about the same as the on-cord controls for the headset that came packaged with my Iphone 4. However, as an extra bonus, the Logitech headset has an adjustable clip for attaching the cord to one's clothing and preventing the cord from dangling excessively. The clip adds stability.

Overall, I am pleased with my Logitech Ultimate Ears 500vi Noise-Isolating Headset. This is the only one I use with my Iphone 4 because I want the best for it. Consequently, I am very careful about protecting the headset from damage and loss. Again, I'll say that what I like most about it is the cord's resistance to becoming tangled in a knot. Untying a knotted cord can be frustrating, time consuming and dangerous, especially if one is driving down a busy interstate at sixty miles per hour. I highly recommend it to anyone who seriously uses their Apple Iphone 4 for playing music and watching videos.

Update on 11/4/11: After using this product for nearly six months, I've discovered to my frustration that the silicone ear cushions come off too easily. The small ones get inside my ears while the larger ones fall off onto my clothing and get lost inside my car or on the ground. They get warped with continual usage; one of the black foam comfy tips actually ripped apart. It is best, in my opinion, to buy ear buds that are one size fits all; therefore, one doesn't have to worry about losing the ear cushions. Currently, I am using the headset that was provided with my Apple iPhone 4.

Joseph B. Hoyos

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound in a small and well designed package, April 12, 2011
I have wanted to get a pair of Ultimate Ears vi almost since the day I got my IPhone 3GS. I was intending to purchase the 220vi when I saw the 500vi was coming out and so I decided to wait. Around a month ago I was contact by Logitech to see if I would like to test and review products. I was excited to participate as I own use and enjoy many products from their line up. A week ago I received a pair of Ultimate Ears 500 vi in the mail. Right from the start I was very pleased with the detail and design of their packaging. This was not your typical blister pack, but actual well designed and thought out old school box packaging. The headset is light and comfortable and the noise isolation is very good to the point of you almost hear more of the cord rubbing on your shirt then the outside world. The cord is designed flat so as not to tangle and that is nice. The sound is very good for the size of the buds. Base is as expected from ear buds. The clarity and performance of the mid and high range is excellent. The case and additional ear tips are nice. 5 sizes of the standard tips and 1 set of foamys. Now my disappointment. None of the on cord controls work with my 3GS. The documentation says they should and the factory apple budset still works so I can only assume I have a bad pair of Ultimate Ears 500vi. I contacted Logitech immediately and received the standard auto reply from them. That is the last I have heard from them. I am disappointed. I wanted to give this product the review it deserves, but cannot due to the fact that not all of the advertised qualities of the product work. I own many Logitech products and have always had good luck with them so I will give hem the benefit of doubt and assume this is an isolated incident. Great product Logitech, just wish the on cord controls had functioned properly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so good., June 11, 2012
I've had these headphones for just under 6 months now and the right earbud is no longer functioning. Not worth the price.