Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air, White
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Color: White|Change

on December 16, 2013
This review is for the iPad Air keyboard. I have the same keyboard for the 4th generation iPad and LOVED IT. If you are buying this for the iPad Air, you should search through all these reviews looking for people who are writing this specifically for the iPad Air.

Logitech clearly gambled here. They released this keyboard within a week after the iPad Air was released. Since Apple does not share specs on their devices before they are released, Logitech must have been basing this on some of the parts that were leaked from Apple factories in China. It fits nicely, but two major problems that they could not have foreseen: the magnets do not line up, and the plastic part of the keyboard lifts upward (almost peels off) off the aluminum part once you put the iPad in viewing/typing mode. They could not have foreseen this because the "leaked" parts only contained the outer shell, not the positioning of the magnets nor the weight/density of the iPad, which this keyboard cover is clearly not built to hold. It makes a hideous sounding plastic creaking noise whenever you put the iPad in or touch the iPad, like you do frequently on a touch screen device! With regard to the magnets - if you pick up the iPad, the keyboard no longer goes with it (like in previous versions for the iPad 2/3/4) - it will fall to the ground.

I know I am not the only person who had these problems. Logitech originally posted this product on Amazon as its own product listing, separate from the iPad 2/3/4 Keyboard. They got about 45 reviews with a 2.5 star average due to these issues. They then did something VERY CLEVER. They killed that listing and just added the iPad Air as an option to their very popular listing for the iPad 2/3/4 Ultra Thin Keyboard Cover. This got rid of the bad reviews for the iPad Air keyboard to-date, and drowned out future bad reviews with the 2000+ excellent reviews for the older generation keyboard (which again, is a great product). Since the most helpful reviews float to the top (rather than the most recent) and they have a long history of people voting them as helpful on the iPad 2/3/4 version, it makes it very hard to see the problems with the iPad Air version.

On top of all this, I emailed their support well within their 30 day return policy and they never got back to me. I followed up via phone still within 30 days from when I received the product and they said they could not help me, that it was outside the 30 day policy. They are using the purchase date as the start of that 30 day policy (even though I didn't get it until a week later), and they are saying they never received my email. I am shocked that a company like Logitech would pull tactics like this. After a long history of buying Logitech products, from mice to keyboards to webcams to the Ultra Thin Keyboard Cover for the iPad 4, I will never buy from this company again. I wish I had bought on Amazon instead of direct through Logitech. I know Amazon would have taken great care of me.

--------EDIT 12/20/13--------

It appears that the product listing on Amazon has again been split for the iPad Air and iPad 2/3/4. I think Amazon made Logitech play by the rules here, and this is good news as it makes it much more clear how the iPad Air version of this keyboard stacks up. Hopefully Logitech fixes the problems with future batches of this device, as it does have the potential to be great once again.
1616 comments|517 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2013
I just got this Logitech Ultrathin case for my new iPad Air. I had the Ultrathin for my iPad 2 for over a year, so I'm quite familiar with it. The level of functionality it brings to the iPad is just unbelievable. Contrary to what Apple preaches, keyboards aren't going anywhere for a looooong time and are, for anyone who does anything productive on their iPad, a total necessity.

What's so great about this Ultrathin case though is that it is easily one of the lightest, thinnest, easiest to use & transport keyboards on the market. It isn't some bulky case or folio and when you want to just hold your iPad by itself, it's as simple as separating the magnetic keyboard from your iPad; you don't have to fuss with any snaps or other physical attachment, nor do you have to wriggle your iPad out of some tight enclosure.

This model is pretty similar to the one I had for my iPad 2, so I know it well. Of course it does have some minor changes & refinements, and the below are my observations of this new Logitech Ultrathin case, updated for the iPad Air:

- Let's get the bad news out of the way first: One of the first things I noticed & complained about with the U2 case is how weak the edge/hinge magnets were that hold the case to the iPad when closed. While that issue has been addressed - the edge/hinge magnets are now much stronger, frustratingly enough, the magnets that are supposed to retain the device when it's clicked into the keyboard for use are so weak I had to play with it to see if there even were any magnets in that location at all. Indeed, there seem to be magnets to hold the iPad air at an angle while in the slot, but they are ridiculously weak and offer virtually NO retention.

With the U2 case & iPad 2, you could pick up the iPad itself with the keyboard still attached in the slot, give it a good shake & it wouldn't come loose. With the new case for the Air, sadly, you can barely lift the iPad at all and the keyboard drops loose. This will certainly take some readjustment in my daily routine and I hope I do not drop this keyboard. I dropped my U2 keyboard & slightly bent it - it is fragile.

- While what struck me at first about the Ultrathin keyboard for iPad 2 (can we call it "U2" for short?) was how thin and light it was. The opposite was true for the new Air keyboard - it instantly felt almost clunky & heavy. This is more indicative of how thin & light the air is, than a knock to Logitech, but the new keyboard case feels much closer in weight to the air than the U2 felt to the iPad 2. Of course the iPad 2 is significantly heavier than the Air, and so the Logitech U2 case rightly feels drastically lighter than the iPad 2.

With the iPad Air being so thin and light, adding Logitech's case almost - but not quite - makes it feel like you're carrying around a second iPad Air.

Again I want to be clear that this is not, on its own, a thick and heavy case - quite the opposite in fact, and I still think it is the best keyboard on the market. However, coming from my old, much heavier iPad 2, the Air is so much thinner and lighter as to make even a slim keyboard like this one, feel & appear thick & heavy...again, this is to Apple's credit for how great a job they did with the iPad Air!

- I'm glad to see Logitech implement some rubber bumpers to better separate the hard plastic of the keyboard case from the iPads screen. My iPad 2 screen has a very, very slight wear mark from where the glass contacts the plastic - after over a year of use, it's rubbed together enough to wear my screen a tiny bit. I suggest people put a screen protector onto your iPad if you're at all concerned about this.

The rubber bumpers are on the edges of the keyboard, along the same row as the space bar, and a long strip runs above the slot where you place the iPad for use - which is exactly the spot I could have used protection for my iPad 2.

I've got a screen protector on order for my new Air to prevent this issue, and a back cover to provide added grip anyway.

Additionally, there are now tiny rubber "feet" on the outside of the case, and a raised rubber strip along the edge where it clips onto your iPad, almost like the feet/pads on the underside of a laptop. This is a nice touch, and we'll see if it helps. I was considering getting a screen protector to apply to the outside of this case as the bare aluminum is slick. I'll have to wait & see if the rubber pads help, or are too small to make any difference.

- On the "U2" case, there was a chintzy strip of plastic running along the inside of the slot where you place the iPad for use - that shifted over time, exposing a gummy adhesive residue that would occasionally get tiny bits onto my iPad screen. A very small annoyance, but I'm glad to see it's gone. Logitech's attention to the tiniest details such as this make the issue with the super-weak slot magnets even more infuriating.

- This is definitely an iOS 7 bug/design "feature" but it's annoying that you can no longer hit the home button from your home screen to access the spotlight search. You must swipe down on the screen. I used to hit the home button a lot to get to search on my iPad 2/iOS6, so I miss that implementation. This is 100% Apple's fault, nothing to do with this keyboard, but thought I'd mention it.

- Printed on the box and case itself is the phrase "i5" indicating Logitech themselves expected this latest iPad to be called the 5. Clearly they were as surprised as anyone by the new name. Tiny detail I noticed.

Overall, I still think this is the best keyboard "case" options for the iPad. I gave it 4 stars because of the super-weak magnets that hold the iPad in place in its slot. This is a big problem and I really wish Logitech would get it right.

UPDATE 2013-12-07:
I have read others talking about the case & keyboard separating at the slot where you insert the iPad for use - unfortunately mine is also having this problem. I'll just live with it. Logitech's site shows a 2-year warranty on this keyboard, so if it needs replacing within that time frame, I hope Logitech will honor this defect under warranty.

I must say, overall, this does seem like quite a step down from my old Logitech Ultrathin for my iPad 2. I just went and inspected it and while I can get a slight separation at the exact same spot if I pull on it, it does seem much more sturdy than this current/new keyboard for the Air.
1111 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2013
I cannot believe that Logitech put this out. I have 2 of these for my iPad 2 models and I love them. This one was no question a rush job and their QA department took a long vacation. In brief:

1. Keyboard cover does not close properly, leaving my iPad on until it shuts off automatically.

2. Magnets on Ultrathin Keyboard are not aligned properly to the proper points of the iPad. This means that you will notice that when closed, the keyboard is off center - sticking out by 1/8" on one end, and sticking inward by 1/8".

3. Nice gap between the keyboard and iPad when closed. Unlike the one for my iPad 2, you really feel afraid to carry it around as you feel it will pop open under most circumstances.

4. Magnets in the placeholder groove are WEAK WEAK WEAK. This has been expressed in several other reviews here, so I figure there isn't much more to say here.

I plan on calling Logitech directly to see if these issues have been corrected, and I just got early stock. I certainly hope so, because I love this style of keyboard [Sorry Zagg!]. NOTE TO LOGITECH: Ever heard of the words 'Product Recall'?!?!

In any case, hello Best Buy! I have a useless keyboard to return.

UPDATE **: I contacted Logitech Customer Support about the aforementioned issues. With the exception of the clasp issue, which they stated was intentional due to previous complaints about scratching the glass, they completely ignored the other issues I mentioned and told me that this was the "only version" they were making of the Ultrathin keyboard for the iPad Air.

I also asked them whether or not, by chance, an initial bad batch was released with poor QA peformed on it. That inquiry was as well totally ignored.

That said, after reading another reviewer's assertion that perhaps it was a case of defective QA in the first run, I thought I would take a shot and order one from Amazon. Believe it or not, the magnets are placed in their proper place at the hinge [meaning the iPad is now aligned!], my iPad falls nicely into place in the white groove, and while a disconcerting gap at the closure still remains, my iPad does appear to close each time, checked in a dark room.

So bottom line, it is a crap shoot whether or not you get a ''good one'.

Given the lousy way Logitech is handling all this, whereby instead of fessing up that mistakes were made, and providing an earnest effort to send a replacement postage free to the initial purchasers, I am leaving this at 1 star.

Until they do ALL their loyal users right, or provide you assurances that they got your back, I am not going to do them any favors.
on November 23, 2013
I owned the previous generation Ultrathin Cover for my iPad 3rd gen and loved it. I use the keyboard so much, I actually waited to buy an iPad Air until the new Logitech cover was available. When it arrived, I was so disappointed. For $100, I expect the fit and finish to be excellent. Instead, the plastic keyboard was already separated from the metal back at the left front corner, right out of the box (I posted a customer image showing it). Like other reviewers, I also noticed that the iPad did not sit as securely in the slot (instead of a reassuring "click" like on the old model, it sort of creaks or makes a little grinding sound when you move it). What bothered me most, however, was the response I got from Logitech customer service. Every company will occasionally ship a defective item. The real test of a good company is how they respond when there's a problem. Logitech failed miserably. After two attempts, the only response I could get was "return it to Amazon." What I really wanted was for Logitech to acknowledge the problem, FedEx me a new one that had been double-checked for quality control, and have me ship the defective one directly back to them so that they can identify their manufacturing problem. Apparently, that's not the Logitech way. After waiting a couple of weeks to get the keyboard, and finding it was defective out of the box, the customer service response was awful. I'm sending mine back, and trying another brand.
review image
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2013
This is the second generation of the Logitech Ultrathin that I have owned. Like many of the reviewers here, I feel this generation (for the iPad Air) of the Ultrathin is not as well designed overall as the previous generation. The magnets that hold the iPad into the groove are not as strong as they were previously and therefore the iPad is not as stable. I used to be able to pick both the iPad and keyboard up just by grasping the iPad and walk around carrying it like that. I would not dare try that with this generation. So I agree with all of the reviewers that say this generation is one step back.

Having said that, this is still a great iPad keyboard. Unlike most keyboard cases for the iPad, this keyboard can be quickly and easily removed from the iPad (completely) to minimize the weight of the iPad when you are using it as a pure reading device. They keyboard itself is also the most usable I have tried. It rivals and possibly exceeds the bluetooth wireless keyboard from Apple that I use with my Macbook Pro. Logitech has also done an excellent job of integrating specialty keys for volume, music playback and the like, which are great.

So bottom line, if you have never owned a Logitech Ultrathin before, you will probably really like this keyboard. If you are a previous owner, you are going to notice the relative deficiencies. Just try to remember the advantages and the reasons it is superior to most other iPad keyboards.
33 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2013

--------EDIT 12/20/13--------

0Comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
I have the Logitech ultrathin keyboard case for my iPad 3rd gen and it works great - good strong magnets on the back spine for when the cover is closed over the iPad and strong magnets above the keys when the cover is open and the iPad is sitting in the slot so you can use the keyboard.

Because of the mixed reviews for the Logitech ultrathin case for the iPad air I decided to test one out at Best Buy before buying one on Amazon. The magnets on the spine are just as strong for the iPad air case and work great however when the cover is closed over the iPad, I noticed that the magnets on the opposite side which should hold the cover closed over the iPad are weak and maybe don't even exist, If the iPad is laying down flat with the cover closed it does turn off the iPad however; when I lift edit he ipad upright (portrait mode) with the cover closed I could see that the iPad woke up about half the time. This is a concern for me because I travel with my iPad and it is usually in an upright position in my backpack.

The other observation is that there appears to be magnets only on the left side of the keyboard just above the keys but nothing on their get side. The result is that when you lift the iPad up with the keyboard attached, the keyboard says in unless you put anyone reassure on the right side of the keyboard and then it falls off. Hopefully this is a known design problem and Logitech is going to fix this soon. The iPad Air does seem to fit snug enough on the keyboard when keying and when you touch this current it never fell over in landscape moe or in portrait mode. My load 3rd gen used to fall over when it was placed on the keyboard in portraying mode.

Because of these issues I am going to wait for awhile and hope that Logitech fixes these design issues,

Update: 12/15/2013

I decide to buy the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for the iPad air after using my iPad air for 2 weeks without the keyboard. I really missed having one after I had used the original Ultrathin Keyboard for my iPad 3rd gen. I have been using this keyboard form a month and I have to say that I am glad I made the choice to buy the keyboard rather than wait for any updates to the product. I have discovered that the keyboard is more secure than I had originally thought. It supports my iPad Air in landscape and now in portrait mode without the iPad falling over. When I used to put my iPad 3rd gen into the original Ultrathin keyboard in portrait mode, it used to fall over frequently - I think this was due to the heaviness of the iPad 3rd gen - which is not an issue with the iPad Air.

I have no problems with the keyboard dropping when I pickup up my iPad (mounted in landscape mode) and carry the iPad with the keyboard attached. I was originally concerned that the keyboard might drop off because the magnet on the right side was not as strong as the magnet on the left of the keyboard - but this has not been an issue at all. I carry my iPad Air with the keyboard attached to it around my home and have not had the keyboard drop off once.

This keyboard does go sleep when you are not typing on it after some time (not sure what the time frame is - but this was also the case with the original keyboard). There is a short delay of probably 3 - 5 seconds when from the time you start typing until the words appear on the iPad screen if the keyboard has gone to sleep. The difference with this new Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for the iPad Air is that it is better at displaying the words you have typed once it wakes up after several second - whereas with my older keyboard - anything I typed will the keyboard was waking up was lost and did not display. Don't know if this is an iOS 7 improvement or a logitech improvement - but I like it.

Because of these experiences, once I purchased the keyboard, I changed by rating from 3 stars that I gave the keyboard after I checked it out at a Best Buy store before I bought it - I now am comfortable giving the keyboard 5 stars after having owned it for a month. It is lightweight, easy to type on, accurate and matches my iPad Air exactly. The only limitation that still exists with this keyboard - which also existed on the older version, is that it does not autocorrect misspelled words like you experience when you type directly on the iPad's soft keyboard. I suspect this is more of an Apple iOS shortcoming than a Logitech keyboard limitation. I would definitely buy this keyboard again and recommend it to others.

I also have bought the padded InCase NeoPrene Sleeve for iPad Air Incase Neoprene Sleeve for iPad (Black) - it is a perfect fit for keeping both my iPad Air and Logitech Ultrathin keyboard protected and safe while traveling.
on November 12, 2013
At first glance, the new Ultrathin seems like a natural progression of the Ultrathin covers. It now has tiny bumper feet on the bottom. It's hinge is stronger. Its surface has a more premium matte look. However its plagued by some manufacturing defects and odd design choices that were not present in the previous models. The magnetic hinge is so strong now that it snaps onto the ipad with an audible bang and actually caused a fracture in the plastic of the hinge after repeated use. The plastic where the iPad sits in the stand is slowly peeling upwards and the iPad doesn't feel as securely seated as the previous Ultrathin. Also noteworthy, for some reason Logitech decided to shrink the Quotes/Apostrophe key, and Question Mark key when the previous gen Ultrathin had full keys all around. Kind of an odd decision and does hurt my typing speed, especially since the Quote/Apostrophe key is used often enough to warrant a full key. Hopefully Logitech will update this product with a revision.
on January 2, 2014
I owned the logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for the 3rd generation iPad, and I loved it. Recently, I upgraded to the iPad Air, and immediately ordered the logitech keyboard cover for the iPad Air.

The first one I received was terrible. When I would put the iPad in the groove the keyboard would squeak and I could see parts of the keyboard coming unglued and ready to fall apart (and I could tell the magnets were very weak). Also, with the 3rd generation iPad, the keyboard and iPad would close up nicely, and be securely shut, but not with the iPad Air. The 2 devices didnt even align correctly (let a lone securely closing with magnets) I contacted Amazon, and they immediately sent me a new one. However, the 2nd one had the same problems.

I then contacted logitech. This was a long and horrible experience. At first, they seemed to be helping. However, it eventually became obvious that they knew the model for the iPad Air was poorly designed and defective. They offered to send me a new one, only after I shipped and they received the defective one. Basically, they said I would get the new one in 8-10 weeks. That was not acceptable, so I just returned it to Amazon.

Now, I am on a mission to find a good keyboard for the iPad Air.
on November 18, 2013
I bought this keyboard cover because I loved last gen's, and figured that this would be more or less the same thing.

Unfortunately, though, the thing is full of defects. For one, the keyboard cover does not sit flat against the iPad--this might be because the hinge connects too far back on the iPad Air, therefore causing the whole keyboard to be propped up just a bit.

Secondly, it really seems heavier than the previous generation. This might just be because the iPad Air is lighter in comparison, but the keyboard itself weighs almost as much as the iPad Air does.

Thirdly, there isn't an audible "snap" when you prop the keyboard up in its magnetic stand. This makes me constantly wonder whether or not I'm actually securely connected. With the previous generation, I could always tell if it was connected or if it was just sitting there, ready to topple over when jostled because the magnets didn't attach.

Now, the keyboard itself seems to be pretty much the exact same quality--the keys are spaced well, and it feels solid. I don't think, however, that this makes up for what the keyboard cover lacks compared to the previous generation.

Oh, incase you were wondering, it is still possible to prop the iPad up in portrait mode--at least, it still feels fairly secure. It does look like it leans back more than the previous version did, though, so that might not be as useful to you as it was last generation.

All in all, I'm starting the hunt for a suitable replacement cover--something that's pretty much the exact same thing as last generation's keyboard cover. Logitech missed the ball this gen.