5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd Bought This Sooner!
Published 18 months ago by DuganLSR

3.0 out of 5 stars Good at what it does, two key flaws
Published 15 months ago by RaffiMK

3.0 out of 5 stars Good at what it does, two key flaws, April 15, 2013
This review is from: Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover White for iPad 2 and iPad (3rd/4th generation) (Personal Computers)
I saw a friend using this Logitech keyboard with their iPad, and it seemed like an intuitive add-on to make the iPad more productive. Having used it for one week now, here are my impressions: 1) Form factor: I was very pleasantly surprised at the lightweight and thin add-on to the iPad. With the keyboard locked firmly in place as a cover, my iPad (retina display) does not feel that much heavier or bulkier (for transport). 2) Usability: The keyboard takes about 10 minutes of typing to get used to (compared to a full-sized keyboard). After several days of use, I am making very few mistakes, and the only truly annoying issue is the [small] size of the delete/backspace button. Unlike the Apple foldable cover, you must take it off when holding the iPad in your hands to read in portrait mode or watch a video in landscape.

MAJOR FLAWS:

I would easily give this product five stars if it were not for two seemingly solvable weak points. First, the magnetic hinge isn't nearly as strong as it needs to be - several times, either the keyboard or the iPad fell out of my hands because the magnet wasn't powerful enough to manage the weight of either item (more often the iPad's weight). Anyone that has used the Apple magnetic hinge cover for the iPad knows how well it connects to the iPad, and how you can swing the cover or the iPad and they will stay together. NOT SO for the Logitech keyboard. While I have, to date, avoided dropping the iPad to the floor, I've had several close calls.

Next, while the product description advertises that the keyboard can hold the iPad steady in both landscape and portrait mode, it's clear that this really only applies to landscape, where the magnet on the vertical spine of the iPad makes contact with the magnet in the slot of the keyboard right above the number keys. Unfortunately, since there is no magnet on the bottom of the iPad (when held in Portrait mode), there is no similar magnetic pull to keep the iPad firmly in place. This, along with the fact that in Portrait mode, the iPad leans back and the center of gravity is higher, means that the thin rubber edge of the slot in the keyboard isn't strong enough to keep the iPad from falling backwards, especially when one tries to use the top half of the iPad's touch screen.

Again, from a pure productivity and size/weight perspective, it's a great solution - can't imagine going back to typing on the screen again. However, I really hope Logitech addresses these two issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor durability and docking, October 15, 2013
I'll begin by saying that I love the size and feel of this keyboard, I use it constantly with my iPad. It's made note-taking such a breeze. I do most of my writing on my iPad now.

However, I am really disappointed with Logitech for the quality of the keyboard... The plastic upper layer of the keyboard is separating from the aluminum in the lower right corner (right where the arrow keys are). I don't know whether this was caused by shipping or just poor design, but I'm worried that dust will get in between the layers and eventually cause the keyboard to stop working.

Additionally, the docking seems to be getting weaker and weaker...my iPad has fallen off twice!! and sometimes when I take the iPad out of my mesh carrying case, the keyboard slides right off. It used to make a magnetic "click" noise and now I can barely tell whether my iPad is actually docked or not. My return window is already closed. I really hope Logitech will take a look at these problems, this was by far my favorite keyboard until it began disintegrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd Bought This Sooner!, January 1, 2013
I've had my iPad3 for a year and a half and have been using an Amazaon full-size Bluetooth keyboard. It's done the trick but it is not weighted and, therefore, moves around on your lap or even on a table top. You also have to prop up your iPad separately. The Logitech is absolutely great. Like all Logitech products, it has both functionality and good looks. A perfect complement to Apple design. (For those who want to keep on a back cover while the iPad3 is docked in the Ultrathin, check out the Devicewear transparent back cover for the iPad3, which is thin enough to fit into the Logitech Keyboard Cover. It's not quite as secure in the slot as it would be if the back cover were off but so far it's been working fine and hasn't popped out.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth it, May 19, 2013
As far as iPad keyboards go, I've tried several and this one has been the easiest to use on different surfaces. It's expensive, but I like the fact it's a hard shell that keeps the iPad upright. Sometimes I'm typing at a desk or table, and this keyboard and others have worked fine for that. But many times I'm typing when the iPad is resting on my lap. This keyboard keeps the iPad positioned even on those other surfaces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this keyboard!, February 22, 2013
It's like having a miniature laptop. Have had the Ipad since December 2011 and wish this keyboard would've been available sooner! The magnet that holds the Ipad in place is very stable whether I place the Ipad horizontally or vertically. Can sit on the sofa with my lapdesk and use my Ipad without having to hold it in one hand while trying to type on the screen keyboard. It is ultrathin--fits just right into my Ipad bag. The magnet that holds the Ipad in place while not in use works great...when finished I simply turn the keyboard off and flip Ipad face down. No hassle with charging every other week since the charge is good for six months. Would definitely recommend this item--makes the Ipad complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enhances and expands the functionality of the iPAD brilliantly!, November 12, 2013
I am not going to go into the technical details of this product, other than to say it is a bluetooth enabled device that allows you to connect wirelessly to the iPad. It is brilliant in making the iPAD so much more usable and practical, particularly if you are doing a lot of typing.
I find the touch-screen keyboard to be relatively difficult to use, not to mention that it takes up a bit of the screen. Using the Logitech keyboard gives a 'real' keyboard and typing experience, which allows be to type so much more comfortably and a lot faster.
There is also a button that works like the 'home' button so don't have to touch the iPad screen to bring up all the apps.
The best bits? Comfortable and fast typing. Magnetizes to the iPad and acts like a protective cover. You can use the keyboard as a stand. You don't have to have the iPad attached to the keyboard to use (ie. they can be separate physically - although I'm not sure of the bluetooth range). It looks good. Has a good life before needing recharging.
The not so good? If you're not careful the iPad could fall out of the keyboard when using it as a stand on your lap. I find the typing slightly noisy (a clicking sound which a lot of keyboards have so not unique to this device) which only impacts in a meeting type setting if using the iPAD to take notes - the clicking can be a bit loud when everyone is quiet while using the on-screen keyboard makes no noise so you can type unobtrusively. Only a minor point really.
So all-in-all, I would highly recommend this keyboard!

5.0 out of 5 stars A nearly perfect English/Spanish bluetooth keyboard cover for your 2nd and 3rd Gen iPad, October 28, 2013
Length:: 5:11 Mins

I've reviewed a number of bluetooth keyboards intended to be used with the iPad. This Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover is clearly one of the best. It has the same look as the back of the iPad... it's aluminum and it's a smart cover. Once it's attached to your iPad, it will put your iPad to sleep when closed and immediately awake your iPad when you open it.

When you open your iPad, you can either use the keyboard as is, or you can detatch the cover from your iPad and put our iPad into the perfectly positioned iPad holder, in either landscape or portrait position.

The keyboard is setup primarily for Spanish because the actual imprints on the keys are geared to Spanish keyboard mapping and not English. Specifically, the alphabet keys are mostly normal, but the number keys have different character mapping than you would be accustomed to when compared to English language key mapping.

On the right side of the keyboard is a MicroUSB port for charging the internal battery. A MicroUSB to USB charging cable is included. It takes 4-6 hours to fully charge the battery but then you can expect up to 6 months battery life when the keyboard is used an average of 2 hours per day. The on/off switch has no indication, other than the LED light on the face of the keyboard, to which position is on or off. There's also a bluetooth button to initiate pairing mode.

The keyboard is thin and very light. It works really well and I think it is a superior bluetooth keyboard. And it's mapped for Spanish but can also be used for English. However when used as an English keyboard, the character mapping is not obvious because the keys are marked for Spanish mapping not English.

Overall this is a wonderful bluetooth keyboard/cover for your iPad 2 and iPad 3. Very nice quality and operation.

Please be sure to watch my video to learn how to add a Spanish keyboard to your iPad settings in order for the iPad to recognize the Spanish key mapping. For some unknown reason, the user guide does not mention this crucial piece of information. In summary you need to go to Settings > Keyboard > Keyboards > Spanish then select Spanish.

The only thing to be aware of is if you have a silicone or plastic cover on your iPad, you may not be able to use the integrated iPad holder on the keyboard. But as long as your cover is compatible with a Smart Cover, you will be able to attach the Logitech keyboard cover to your iPad.

I was provided a sample for testing and review. If you have any questions please leave me a comment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well, March 22, 2013
I like it because the battery life seems good and you only need to charge it like once evry 6 months....or depending how much you use it.

Im a big google docs and spreadsheet user and it kinda bites because the up and down arrows dont work. Also iwhen surfing the web...its not like i can use the autoscroll function with my arrows

5.0 out of 5 stars Dvorak touch-typing layout!, February 12, 2013
John B. Hudson (Iowa City, IA USA) - See all my reviews
Numerous individuals commenting on this website have wished for the ability to use the Dvorak keyboard layout. Even though the iPad software does not allow this, this hardware keyboard does allow enabling the Dvorak layout. The Dvorak layout can be enabled using "Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > English > Choose a Hardware Keyboard Layout > Dvorak". Even though the keyboard is slightly smaller than standard-size, I can still touch-type effectively if I am careful. Being able to touch-type with the Dvorak layout makes using the iPad very easy, and I have been using it for five weeks now. This keyboard provides a convenient and protective carry case for the iPad, and it is beautifully designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best iPad Accessory Ever Made, December 28, 2012
Both my mother and my mother-in-law told me that they saw my Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard cover on TV commercials. Granted, I do not watch that much TV, and such a commercial could easily miss my lazy gaze. However, they were certainly referring to the Microsoft Surface commercial that shows throngs of dancers clicking and unclicking keyboard covers on Microsoft Surface RT tablets. To my mothers, the commercial showed a tablet keyboard. To them, tablet means iPad, and therefore the keyboard must have been an iPad keyboard. While the Logitech Keyboard cover does make satisfying clicking noise when you attach the keyboard to the iPad, the Logitech keyboard is a far better thing than you will find on a Microsoft tablet.

The keyboard works well. Typing is easy. The chicklet style keys are small yet touch typing is easy (Full disclosure: I have fine fingers. Back in my 20s, my friends said I could have been a hand model. I jokingly told them my fine fingers were the results of avoidance of manual labor.) The shortcut keys take some getting used to, especially the copy and paste keys. Fortunately, a surprisingly high percentage of iPad apps also accept the old CMD-C and CMD-V combination for copy and paste. I particularly enjoy a return to tabbing in forms. Typing speed seemed about as fast as my regular desktop typing speed, which in my case is already slow.

Logitech thought this one through.The magnetically attached cover is easy to remove in case I want to switch from typing to drawing in Penultimate or pass the iPad to my kids. The slot for the iPad sits about a third of the way from the back of the keyboard cover. This position works well for keeping my fingers close to the screen for the iPad's touch screen controls. The placement also distributes the weight of the iPad so the iPad and the cover will not tip over. (The base of the unit is the keyboard cover, and the iPad is much heavier than the keyboard cover). The placement of the iPad and distribution of weight means the device will not fall off my lap if I am sitting or laying down on the couch. This is where the Logitech keyboard cover shines over desk use only touch covers on the Microsoft Surface. Dear Microsoft, this is how you make a keyboard cover; just look at all the knock-offs of the Logitech keyboard cover. Also, my keyboard cover is white and the white keys are easy to see in the dark under the glowing iPad screen. Logitech has pretty much thought of everything.

Rate and Discover Movies