Logitech HD Webcam C525, Portable HD 720p Video Calling with Autofocus
Package Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$39.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 16, 2013
I haven't used this beyond a day and I normally wait awhile to write a review but I wanted to get this up here now since there seems to be some confusion about this working with Mac Computers. This camera works without the driver automatically within the apps of Skype and Facetime if you select the C525 cam and mic in the Preferences of those programs. But what you really want to do is go online and download a driver since with it the quality isn't that good as most of that is managed by the driver. Even though the C525 doesn't have a driver download on it's product page, the drivers for Logitech's webcams are interchangeable so you can go to [...] then click on Webcams, then click on the model HD Webcam C615, select your Mac OS operating system and download the driver.

Once it downloads you just double click it open, install, and double click the App Logitech Icon and you will see the light come on the camera. You can record from the software that will display once this app is open then import it into iMovie and edit as usual. Unfortunately you can't select this camera for recording directly with iMovie but I don't mind the extra step. I believe if you were using this camera with a PC you would have a lot more options to use within the logitech software such as uploading directly to YouTube and other recording adjustments so I hope that logitech will be updating the Mac software soon but with the limits to Mac options at this price point this camera is worth it. If your computer screen is on while shooting then you will definitely be lit enough for things like Skype and Facetime but if you are shooting something for YouTube and you want a more natural light I dim the computer screen down half way to get rid of the blue cast on the wall behind me and use a few daylight lamps and it turns out great. With the options out now I love this new camera since...

- It is definitely a better quality pic at 720dpi
- Doesn't lag
- Voice and picture sync well
- Fold's up nicely to travel in my bag
- Sound is great for a Webcam Mic and I think a bit better than the Macbook Pro Mich
- You can choose which Mic to use as you record with the Logitech recording software so if I want to use a different Mic I can
- Best inexpensive Webcam out there in my opinion for Mac users right now

Hope this review clears things up and helps people get their cameras working with Macs :)
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 2, 2011
I just got it today. Installation was breeze.
But it could not update by itself even after selecting the option (simply told my software was up to date). I had to manually update and quickly click the 'install when ready' kind of button before download was complete (otherwise it was downloading a lot and without installing just told again that the software was up to date).
It looks like the users have been asking for image flip option in the software for years and the company does not seem to be interested. From what I read in their support forum they seem to think it is not done (I am currently using a software in work place that can do any flips of live feed under same XP, but not 90 degree rotation which some users asked for). Also, it seems that this option was there in some of their older sofware and not there anymore.
I find it very inconvenient to remove and attach/adjust each time I close the laptop. I cannot attach it to the top of my computer table (just above the screen) because of the software problem. I attached upside at the top and then only found this problem (I did not think it is a big deal to flip). I will have to do some carptenter work to keep it above (hi-tech forces us not to forget low tech!).
I took some high resolution images and they were not good (the medium resolution photos were clean and the high resolution photos were dirty with too many spots all over)! So, I am going to stick with VGA quality.
I have not yet used videochat, though skype recognized and tested fine.
*****
ADDITION: I just found that ManyCam (a free software) can rotate/flip live stream, including 90 degrees left or right! I think I don't need the LogiTech software as long as the ManyCam is there (then I will need the carpentry and LogiTech!).
I have just fixed the webcam with velcro and so I can remove it easily.
ManyCam worked fine with Skype (with this upside down installation).
*****
Clarification:
I have not listed the Pros because that is done in the product description or specifications. Since they don't list the Cons(!), I wrote only that missing points.
My selection of this product was based on autofocus, 360 rotation, semi-HD (I call 720p as semi-HD and 1080p as full-HD) and to a lesser extent, compact folding.
on March 30, 2012
After borrowing a friends Logitech C510, I decided to buy the C525 since it came with the auto-focus feature. However, I was extremely disappointed upon finding that when not using the auto-focus feature, the C525 has much worse image quality than the C510, i.e. the image appears fuzzy and out of focus. 'Focusing' in simply makes the image even fuzzier. Since I don't plan on using the auto-focus feature much anyway, I'd just as soon buy the C510. Logitech made this model with more features but with worse quality than the C510 predecessor.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Package Type: Standard PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The logitech HD webcam c525 is a great quality webcam at a very affordable price. I have enjoyed using it, learning the different features, and playing around with options. The webcam is very easy to use, plug it in, hang the camera on your Monitor and have fun! Highly recommended.

*edited to add, I've been having a lot of fun with my webcam, making videos and spamming friends and family:) The controls are easy to use and adjust. We actually did send my mom the other camera, and my son walked her through it. I was right, it was so easy even she could use it! We are now on Skype and the quality for what we want, being able to talk "face to face" is great.

Any out of focus issues are mine, later video shot with the webcam are much better but I wanted to do my first impression video, warts and all, to give a good sample of someone totally non-tech using and enjoying the webcam.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2014
Good image quality and a convenient top of monitor mount.
review image
on October 2, 2013
Okay this camera is pretty fantastic, The image is pretty awesome, Very maneuverable, you have enough cord length to put it a few feet from your laptop is you wanted to be in full veiw, You have controls brightness/contrast to blurr out your flaws (and seriosly make you look perfect) because it really does highlight every little peach fuzz hair/ or the slightest pimple on your face if you don't. But really for an HD cam, and it's price you're really getting a bargain because ones i've had in the past have been more exensive and the same if not lesser quality. As long as you don't expect the camera to make you look like a different person, you'll love this camera.
review image review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bought this camera for my 86 year old mother who is quite computer savy. Now she can Skype with us and also her great grandchildren. A wonderful Christmas present that she loved. Simple to use and was easy to install and get working right out of the box.
on June 29, 2011
A couple of the Vine members already did good video reviews for this webcam so I don't see any point in doing yet another video review saying the same "only good" things. With that said I'll be talking about what I've used it for and my own experiences with it.

First I tested this webcam using Skype...making a video call to an iPhone 4 running the Skype mobile app. My desktop PC is a Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz + 4GB RAM + WinXP. This is the computer I used to initiate a Skype video call to an iPhone 4. The iPhone was connected to the internet via WiFi while the PC was connected via ethernet. Both were sharing a DSL with 2.5Mbps download/0.5Mbps upload of total bandwidth.

The video call worked very well similar to Apple's FaceTime. Audio and video quality was pretty good considering the available shared bandwidth. The webcam has good light sensitivity only needing a single ceiling light to get very good exposure. Color rendition was also pretty good.

As far as full quality video capture, I was a little disappointed with the framerate. I estimate it's around 20 frames per second but it's using some kind of frame interpolation to try and smooth out the transition between frames as evidenced by the motion blur. What this means is if you want "true" 30 frames per sec 720P resolution video (without motion blur), you'll have to use some other more capable device like a digital camera that can also shoot video.

Even at "lossless" video quality settings the video still ended up looking softer than a 720P recording from my digital camera, however color rendering was surprisingly good for a "webcam". The slightly soft video is expected given that my digital camera has a larger and better lense.

One really cool feature is the ability for the camera to be twisted a full 360 degrees which is very nice especially when attached to the screen on a notebook computer. This will allow you to record video of whats behind the computer while using the screen as a viewfinder instead of having to turn the computer around which is always the case when using the built-in notebook webcams. Also when folding the camera for transport you just turn the lense portion 180 degrees and fold it down (see included video) giving the lense good protection from scratches, dirt, fingerprints etc.

In summary I would definitely recommend this webcam for video calls or video chat, however if you need to record a sharp/crisp high quality video of yourself for uploading to YouTube etc without motion blur, I'd recommend using a digital camera which you could get for less than $100.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like other reviews previously posted, I also received this item through the Amazon Vine program. I was setting up to do a video review when I noticed that there is already one good technical video review on the page and one very good more practical review. Thus, I decided to do something a bit different. Having just received the webcam and still being in the honeymoon stage with it, I decided to come back after several months of usage with the video review of a more long term user. Sometimes our initial impressions give way to harsher realities after a product has been put to a more grueling test! So let's see how this holds up to the scrutiny of everyday use over time.

I have never owned a stand-alone webcam, so this is my first. But my laptop does have a built-in unit which I have played around with a bit. While picture clarity and ease of function are both good on this device, it has limited versatility as it is fastened to my laptop in a stationary position. The Logitech HD Webcam C525, Portable HD 720p Video Calling with Autofocus was installed on my desktop computer. The unit itself has complete portability and has much more versatility. It does have an adjustable tension clip, but we can't quite get it hooked onto our flatscreen monitor with any precision so we keep it adjacent to the screen for during non-chat times.

Initial reaction:

Ease of Installation: Even if you lack technical savvy, this device is a breeze to install. Just use the provided CD, and you'll literally be going in a few minutes assuming you can follow simple on-screen instructions.

Intuitive: I never read instruction manuals--I like to play with my new toys. Here, the Logitech webcam again exceeds expectations. It is completely intuitive to use, gives you appropriate prompts and gets you on target instantly. Anything that you need to know can be easily figured out during initial usage. You don't have to be particularly smart (whew!) or computer literate, this is an easy camera to use.

Autofocus: So far, this seems like a good feature. Definitely does a good job if your primary goal is in chatting. It's less detailed, as you might imagine, if you're trying to display more intricate items--but it works great for my fat head!

Picture Clarity: As I mentioned, I'm no expert in comparing this to other choices available on the marketplace. I haven't done the comparison shopping to make a valid point here, but for standard chatting use--I see no reason why this wouldn't be perfectly clear and acceptable to any home user.

Price: The Logitech HD Webcam C525 certainly fits comfortably in the mid-range price level of webcams. As such, my initial impressions of the item are extremely favorable. Seems to be quite adept, with strong performance abilities, for a moderate retail price tag.

Again, I will revisit this review in several months to see where we stand after some time has gone by. At about 4 1/2 stars during this phase, let's hope that can hold up or improve. But I'm quite pleased with what I've seen so far. Seems like it would be a perfect unit for homes needing a easy-to-use and affordable webcam. KGHarris, 6/11.
on January 14, 2012
Fed up with the pathetic performance of the cam built into the bezel of my Lenovo, I bought the C525 and am completely satisfied. I didn't use the supplied CD but instead let Windows 7 find updated software online, and installation was truly plug and play. In use, the colors are always accurate even in low-light conditions, and the autofocus keeps the image crystal clear. The cam base folds out to hook over the top of your screen, held in place by gravity, and then folds up compactly to protect the lens when you toss it in your laptop case for travel. One quirk I've noticed - and I suspect this is a problem in Skype's software rather than the webcam driver - is that occasionally during a Skype session the cam will restart, sometimes in a different aspect ratio. It might flip from 16:9 to 4:3 and back again a couple of times during a conversation, and each time it does this it restarts the cam so that the Logitech utility screen pops up. A little annoying, but all you have to do is close the utility window and carry on. Overall, it's the best cam in its class that I've found.