Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Item Package Quantity: 1Style Name: Webcam OnlyChange

1,388 of 1,431 people found the following review helpful
Item Package Quantity: 1Style Name: Webcam OnlyVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was able to do a direct side-by-side comparison between three Logitech webcams: the C920, C615, and C525. Here is what I found:

Right away I noticed that the C920 was a superior product - as it should be, considering it is Logitech's flagship webcam at the moment. But my initial impression was that the extra features might not be worth the size and setup tradeoff. There are three things that the C920 does not have:

1) While all three models attach to your computer monitor in about the same way and all three can tilt up and down, only the C525 and C615 can turn side to side. In fact, they can turn around 360 degrees and more. The C920, however, has a threaded tripod mount, as does the C615.

2) The C920 lacks the excellent "fold-and-go" design of the other two models, which makes packing and travelling easy, while protecting the lenses. In contrast, the C920 is much larger and stationary.

3) The C615 comes with a shorter USB cable AND an extension for more versatility. The C920 - like the C525 - comes with only a full length cable (~6'). My wish for all three models is that they come with a detachable USB cable, which would make them all much more portable and easy to carry around, especially in this age when most people travel with at least one or two USB cables.

But when I actually sat down to do some serious comparisons, I realized just how much more advanced the C920 is, most notably in its use of H.264 compression and its autofocus feature.

H.264 is a standard being utilized more and more for video of all sorts, and it makes a huge difference here. Having used all three webcams on the same computer and with the same software, the C920 compresses 1080p video completely while recording and takes about 49MB per 1 minute of recording on the highest settings (720p for one minute takes about 31MB). That uses *.mp4 format.

Meanwhile, the C615 and C525 use *.wmv format and take 99MB and 44MB for one minute of video at 1080p and 720p, respectively. The real problem, though, is that you then have to sit and wait for the video to compress if you are working in 1080.

If you're interested, The C920 has 1 zoom level at 1080 and 4 levels at 720. The C615 has 0 zoom levels at 1080 and about 10 at 720. The C525 has about 10 at 720. All can be used during recording, but the quality involved with the C920 is again far superior.

Also, the autofocus is much better on the C920, with less flickering and light change. You can really get up close and show off your pores and beard growth.

In conclusion, the optics and hardware of the C920 are obviously superior to the others, which are already high quality. If I am using the webcam while highly mobile, then I may opt for one of the others - I might even just settle for the C525 because it's a tiny bit smaller than the C615 and I believe you cannot use the C615 to make 1080p video calling, even if your hotel's Internet service could keep up with the data rate. However, if I am using a webcam at a stationary computer, or am really a videophile, then I definitely want the bigger workhorse.
5353 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2014
This Camera is what i expected and whats even better was i got it on sale for $50. I was gonna buy it for the normal price aanyways but the fact that it was on sale when i bought it is even better. I use it for making videos for my public presentations class and also for streaming on It has excellent quality and i like the wide view it gives. If you are not into the wide angle cameras then this may not be for you but im sure there is some way you could adjust it. Im not sure though on that.

Pros: Not too much cost wise compared to most cameras.
Wide View and Clear View
Looks nice on top of my monitor.
It is also able to be put on a stand.

Cons: Nothing really that i have any problems with.

BUY IT!!!!

I included a picture of my ugly mug just to show you what a picture on this camera looks like. Also this is low lighting and it looks like i have quite a bit of lights on which is nice!(Excuse the messiness)
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2012
I do not write many reviews, but felt that I should write one concerning using the C920 on a Mac. I took it out of the box, plugged it into my Mac Pro, placed it on top of my monitor, and launched FaceTime. It worked. I launched Photo Booth, and it worked. I launched Skype, and it worked. The image is incredibly sharp and the audio works perfectly. I'm not sure what else you may want to use this camera for, but as far as I can tell it works just fine with the Mac OS X applications. In fact, it worked immediately and flawlessly.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
This is an awesome Webcam for use with Skype(I have not used it with other Video Conference Software).
The new mount is better than the C910(Not that I had a problem with that one anyway). It now has a tripod mount. I found it works very well on a 25" LCD Monitor, Laptop and a 42" rear Projection TV.

Bandwidth usage Information(tested on Skype 5.8 with an i5-2500K Desktop and Lenovo T410 i5 Vpro laptop with 1Gb/s Lan connectivity)

1980 by 1080 by 30 FPS peaked out at about 8Mb/s (C920 on Desktop and C920 on laptop)

1280 by 720 by 30 FPS peaked out at about 3-4Mb/s

640 by 480 by 30 FPS peaked out at about 1.4Mb/s(I also got this usage when testing a STD laptop camera on a Lenovo T410)

The C920 does seem to use a lot less CPU than the C910. 640 by 480 on a core 2 Duo HP laptop was up to 80% CPU. With the 920C this dropped to 45% at 1280 by 920 by 30FPS.
I also found that 640 by 480 utilises VP80(or VP60 in order versions of Skype). It changes to H.264 for 720P and 1080P.

The C920 hardware H.264 encoding does not seem to be supported on Skype for Linux 2.2.

Note HD/HQ Skype access requires the latest software (Skype and Webcam drivers), dual core or higher CPUs, a supported camera and bandwidth. Skype will ramp up to HD/HQ if the previous is satisfied and their is available bandwidth AND CPU. It can take 2-5 minutes to ramp up to 1080P even on a local 1Gb/s LAN. Also, Skype will NOT ramp up to HD/HQ speeds unless the Camera is supported at these speeds.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2015
I love this thing, I use it to stream ... suchhh high quality video from this!! I'm so happy I got it. It takes realllyyy nice photos too. I really dont know how to describe the "good quality" of the photos it delivers, so I will just SHOW you. attached, are some example screenshots I took while using this webcam to stream. Just freaking screenshots!! omggg in love with this cameraaaaa...!!!

works with skype works with OBS, works with everything.

IF YOU SEE RED SCREEN WHEN YOU FIRST TRY TO USE THIS CAMERA, JUST GO TO LOGITECH WEBSITE AND DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE AND INSTALL/RUN. Fixes the "red screen" bug instantly. uhmmm here is the link for this camera's official software:
review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2012
I purchased this webcam intending to get high-quality images from my apartment window of the NY skyline. Unfortunately, the camera is unable to focus to infinity. It is designed only for close-in webcam chatting. Distant objects (or even the back wall of a large room) appear blurry.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
UPDATE December 2013: I removed my video because it mostly showed the avatars and according to some comments Logitech has done away with the Avatars recently. However there is a way around this by installing the older software and not doing any updates. I have not tried it with Windows 8, but it worked with Windows XP and 7. The webcam has gone drastically down in price, maybe it is because they plan on coming out with a newer version. Remember if you don't like it, or it does not meet your exceptions - return back to Amazon. It does not state about the Avatars I noticed in the description, but it is still one heck of an awesome camera for the asking price! I just hope Logitech brings back the fun facial stuff with their new updates or releases.

Here is a VERY helpful comment that was left by C. Allen: By logitech's own admission, version 2.4 of the software was the last to support all the nice features, and only 2.8+ works with Windows 8. All other versions refuse to install citing incompatible Windows version.

I have to admit I was delighted to hear that Logitech had come out with a newer version of C910. I could not wait to try it and post a review. I knew this review would not compare to the video review I did for the C910 since there was no way my dogs were going to come in on "my" own terms. If you have no clue what I am talking about you need to see the video for yourself at this link: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910. When I did the video review for the C910 I just talked about the picture, lighting and sound quality. Pretty much all of that stayed the same with a few enhancements.

I understand that with time you need to upgrade and make improvements, but I wanted to understand and "dissect" the changes Logitech made with the C920. First thing I noticed was that the C920 is quite smaller in size. I wondered if the size variation would interfere with the dimension of the image that is captured or the quality of the sound because housing around the lens and speakers is smaller and more condensed. To my surprise, the picture and sound looked and sounded great. I was pleased it has a 6-foot long cable - great for a desktop computer, not so great for laptops. The cord is actually a foot longer than the C910. The camera sits perfectly on my 23-inch screen. The C920 has a "new" tab located underneath the front of the webcam. This allows the camera to sit more securely in place without worrying it will fall backwards or slide forwards Another great feature the C910 did not have is that it is tripod mountable.

The C920 has 15 MP compared to 10MP on the C910. Let's talk about mega pixels a little bit. The resolution of a picture/image is represented by its mega pixels aka MP. The higher MP the larger you are able to view or print an image. Typically an 8MP resolution allows you to make an 8x11 photo quality print. If you try to make it large, your image quality will start to get worse and become blurry. In general smaller MP are great for Internet postings because most of the time you crop and edit pictures to make them even smaller. So how important is that the C920 is 15MP compared to 10MP? I guess it depends on what you are using it for. If you need to post or print a 15x20 or larger picture than 15MP will be great for you. This is not important to me since I do not use the webcam to print out or post HUGE pictures. The only pictures I might post using the webcam are silly looking "duck face" pictures on social sites. If I need to take photos, I will just use my digital camera. This webcam is primarily used to video chat with friends and my family.

Please be aware in order to get 15MP quality pictures you must use the enhanced software Photo Capture which is included in the download - just like it is with the C910.

Now lets talk about Full HD 1080p with H.264. I have heard of 1080p but what is H.264? I did some research. There are three different types of high definition modes: 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The 1080p is the only full HD. It is able to display a native resolution of a least 1080 lines, the higher the number of lines the sharper the image. The "p" means that the screen display images very quickly by completely refreshing the screen with every frame. This allows quick movements to display in sharp detail. Now let me explain H.264. The H.264 is best known as being the codec standards for Blu-ray discs. It is widely used by video streaming sources such as YouTube, Vivmeo, iTunes, Amazon and web software such as Adobe Flash Player and Apple QuickTime. So what does this all mean - it allows you to be viewed in 1080p in a clearer, faster, smoother and high definition (as long as the "viewer" has good quality equipment as well). The C920 does video processing in the webcam as opposed to the C910 using the computer's central processing unit. This means less lagging and hesitation on your system since everything is going on in the webcam - that makes a very big difference in framerates in HD quality.

Installation was simple. I am using it in a Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit OS environment. This webcam does NOT come with an installation CD. You must go to Logitech's website and download the software. The web address can be found in the instructional booklet. It only took less than 1 minute to download the file and about 2 minutes to install the software. The webcam was up and running in less than 3 minutes!

The image is clear and the movement and response time is fast and smooth. Sound is heard loud and clear. It comes with all the extras the C910 comes with such as motion detection, follow me, face recognition, avatar, video mask features, RightLight, but this time the C920 comes with RightLight2 and RightSound. Sadly the video effects are still not available for Mac OS.

2-year limited warranty.

Overall - terrific upgrade from the C910. EXTREMELY easy to use. I have always considered Logitech a dependable brand I could continuously trust and rely on. :-)
4444 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2012
I think my video is self explanatory. Those are the results a complete amateur who has never used a web cam before can get within 2 minutes of plugging the cam in.

It sits nicely on top of my computer monitor and is easy to adjust. It's good in low light. It's good in high noise environments. It captures detail. It auto focuses on your face. This is basically logitech's flagship cam as of 2012. I read a lot of reviews. I wasn't sure I wanted to shell out the cash but I wanted the best. And if the best is $100, I figured I didn't have much to loose. I also own a logitech gaming keyboard and gaming mouse and 3.1 speakers, all of which have lasted me 5+ years each. Their products are all built to last.

I don't see how anyone could use one that doesn't auto-focus.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2013
Very impressed with how wide it is, sadly the image quality to the edges is a disaster. Take a look at the image of the map I uploaded and you can see for yourself.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2013
I received my webcam today and installed it as instructed. I love this cam, after hours of research on webcams the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 is the perfect camera. My hubby and I have taken a picture together to test it out and the picture is sharp and truly HD. The lighting in my office is very low yet this camera is able to compensate for low light and still give a sharp and well-lighted image. best choice. The video feature is also superb! I would highly recommend this webcam those wanting to post pictures on the web and show youtube videos.
review image review image