4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 with TK820 user experience
I bought this keyboard out of curiosity whether it could also replace my mouse, and because I simply wanted to try out the large touchpad and the multi-finger gestures. Note that I use it on a Windows 7 PC, and the user experience with the Windows 8 touch user interface may be completely different.

Build quality and typing action: Even though made of plastic,...
Published 15 months ago by Bernie

Having used this keyboard for a week I've noticed that the things that it does, it does well. And the things it doesn't do well it really fails at. First, this is pretty much a chiclet laptop keyboard put into a desktop keyboard case. Then they've combined this with a very large touch pad. The wireless is the standard tiny Logitech USB adapter.

The...
Published 15 months ago by Leonardo Fuddy

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 with TK820 user experience, September 28, 2013
This review is from: Logitech Wireless All-In-One Keyboard TK820 with Built-In Touchpad (Personal Computers)

Build quality and typing action: Even though made of plastic, the keyboard is quite sturdy and surprisingly heavy. It is also rather flat, so there is no need for an additional hand rest in front. The square keys are slightly indented. I really like typing on this keyboard, despite the rather shallow keyboard action. It is also quiet, almost like a laptop keyboard.

Some dedicated keys I am used to from other keyboards, like Print Screen, Home and End, are missing, but their functions can be easily emulated by an FN+key combination (e.g. FN+backspace for Print Screen, FN+cursor right for End). The combinations are not necessarily intuitive (though some secondary functions are indicated on the keys), but Logitech published a list on their website:
[...]

Touchpad: The large and smooth touchpad (I am not sure whether it is made of glass) also has a mechanical click-action (like the click pad in many laptops). For left-click, you can press with 1 finger basically anywhere on the touchpad, though, since it is hinged at the top, the further up you click, the harder it gets. The right-click action is done by pressing with 2 fingers, or with 2 fingers in a corner, or with 1 finger in a corner (configurable by the software).

I noticed that the mechanical click-action is quite stiff, and I hope it will get lighter after some use. All in all, the mechanical clicking did not work well for me. Firstly, I want to left-click where my index finger is, which I use to control the cursor. But the index finger is not always in the lower part of the touchpad, so the click-action is just too stiff for my liking (as mentioned, it gets harder the further up you press). Click-and-drag is very unpleasant to use this way, due to the strong friction the increased pressure creates.

Secondly, especially when right-clicking by pressing with two fingers, the cursor sometimes jumps a little the moment the touchpad is depressed, because it can be somewhat difficult to keep your finger(s) in exactly the same position while pressing down. This is not really a fault of the Logitech touchpad, but an inherent issue with finger-controlled touchpads.

Luckily it is also possible to click by just tapping (with one finger for left, with two fingers for right-click). My preference for right-clicking would be CTRL+left tap instead of a two-finger tap, but unfortunately, this cannot be configured with the Logitech software. I also noticed that when tapping (not mechanically clicking), especially in the lower area of the touchpad, the touchpad "bounces" a little due to the built-in spring-action (which is necessary for the mechanical click-action), making some rattling noise with each tap, even when the taps are not very forceful. This really got on my nerves after a little while. Logitech should add a mechanical lock-switch in order to disable mechanical clicking for people who do not want to use it.

The touchpad also allows for some useful multi-finger gestures, like pinch-zooming, scrolling, switching applications, showing the desktop and so on.

Software: Point-and-click actions can be configured within limits (e.g. for primary click, use click or tap or only click with 1 finger). The sensitivity of the touchpad cannot be adjusted.
The gestures cannot be reprogrammed (at least not with the Logitech software), e.g. swipe up/down with 2 fingers is always for scrolling vertically, though they can be individually disabled. Some function keys in the top row can be assigned different actions, like search, sleep, an arbitrary keystroke etc., but I rarely use those.

-------

Summary: I really like the keyboard for typing, but I do not like the touchpad too much due to the stiffness of its mechanical click-action and the rattling sounds when tapping on it. There are also limitations in the software configurability. In the end, the mouse still remains my preferred pointing device in Windows 7.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving it (mostly)!, September 16, 2013
I have hunted for the perfect HTPC keyboard trackpad combo for a number of years. The smaller alternatives just didn't cut it. The TK820 isn't perfect, but it's the best combo keyboard/trackpad I've tried or owned. It is heavier than I though it would be, which i like. Some people might want something lighter, but it feels just right sitting on my lap while I browse through my Plex media library. I've not had any issues with range or connectivity. The keys are not laser etched or engraved, instead they have little stickers on each key. Traditionally these types of stickers will wear down, but in recent years they have been much better (crosses fingers).

I can't tell you how nice it is to just pick up a keyboard and have a big trackpad right there as well. Interacting with with my HTPC has never been easier. Now all I have to do is pickup the keyboard and find a comfy place to absorb my media. With a click of a keyboard button my HTPC wakes up. I can then adjust my system volume on the fly, independently of anything else plugged into my AV Receiver. If I want to pause and look something up online I just switch between Internet browsing or Plex Media Center with another click of a button. When I'm done I just put my HTPC to sleep with another click of a keyboard button.

For those that are new to logitech wireless peripherals just remember that you'll need to download logitech's unifying software to pair the keyboard with it's receiver. Once paired you'll want to install the newest version of Logitech's SetPoint software to get gestures and function keys working. Gestures work on both Windows 7 and 8 and are generally the same unless for a feature of Windows 8 only.

Pros:

1. Sturdy build quality. You can feel that it has a good heft to it (for some people i foresee this being an issue).
2. Insanely long advertised battery life. Time will tell, but for how often I use it the batteries might last longer.
3. Good color scheme. Overall it just look good.
4. Keys and trackpad have a good amount of feedback that provides an enjoyable typing experience.
5. A very accessible on/off switch so that you don't waste your battery if not using the keyboard for a prolonged period of time.
6. Fantastic multimedia/function keys. Turn your volume up or down, mute sound, sleep your computer, pause/play/skip music, switch apps and more.
7. Warranty and customer service are awesome! Logitech customer service has been legendary for me.

Cons:

1. Glitchy touch gestures, mainly the tap to click ones don't work reliably, but this should improve as drivers mature (lets hope).
2. Very disappointed with stick on key labels for each key. I was thinking that this would have been laser etched or engraved. Hopefully these are magical stickers that never die.
3. No backlight, but if you know where the keys are then don't worry about it.

I'll update later if I i encounter more that's worth sharing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing build quality for the price, missing critical keys, September 28, 2013

The good:
+++ The touchpad is very nice and responsive. It's truly the highlight of the keyboard. Multi-touch and gestures work great. The nice large surface is also very welcome.
+++ The keys that are there offer enough tactile feel to give good feedback and touch typing capability.
+++ It has a large number of AA batteries so that should translate into good battery life.
+++ The companion software is polished and works well.

The bad:
--- Missing keys! This desktop keyboard takes laptop keyboard problems one step further by eliminating critical editing keys like Home/End and PageUp/PageDown.
--- It's basically a laptop keyboard which means it has all of the compromises of laptop keyboards. There's odd placement of the tiny Insert/Delete keys and cramped arrow keys.
--- The function keys are equally spaced and labeled in the dark blue "FN" color which makes them difficult to identify. The default setting for function keys is for them to be used as Windows 8 keys. This is a strange choice considering the huge "popularity" of Windows 8.
--- The Insert key doubles as the F12 key so you have a choice between losing function keys or the losing the insert key.
--- The build quality is really cheap considering the price paid. There is simply no comparison to less expensive Apple keyboards that also have exceptional build quality. The keyboard is flimsy and flexes easily. It needs to sit quietly on a desktop without moving. Pick it up by the lower right touchpad corner to see what I mean. For this price the keyboard should be rigid and made of better materials.
--- There is no way to adjust the angle of the keyboard. There's no flip down height adjustment towards the top of the keyboard.
--- Unlike other Logitech wireless keyboards there's no way to stow the USB adapter in the battery compartment. This was a very handy feature for keeping the tiny USB adapter with the keyboard when being stored or moving it.

In short, it's very overpriced for both the build quality and usability. Unfortunately there are no real alternatives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Flawed, January 19, 2014
I’ve used this keyboard every day for the past couple of months, and here are my conclusions:

The Good:
1. As of January 2014, it is still the only Windows 8 keyboard/touchpad combo available on the market. Why Microsoft hasn’t released a competing product is beyond me. Once you get used to this type of keyboard (i.e., with a built in touchpad and its various gesturing options for Windows 8), it is enjoyable to use and quite efficient. Since the TK820 is the only such product on the market, you don’t have much choice if this is the kind of keyboard you are looking to buy.
2. The keys are decidedly on the quiet side (though I would like them even quieter), and the keyboard offers a comfortable, accurate, and speedy typing experience.

The Bad:
1. The keyboard is not backlit—I know some users care about that, though I personally don’t as I never use it in a dark room.
2. The keyboard eats up 4 AA batteries in 1-2 months. A built in rechargeable lithium battery with a micro-usb charger would have been much better.
3. The build quality is not fantastic—my keyboard was not perfectly straight (there was a slight curve in the middle). Also, tapping along the very edges of keyboard with my finger yields different noises at different places (some OK and some slightly rattly), suggesting to me the keyboard is not as sturdy and well-made as it needs to be.
4. Not enough thought was given to the touchpad. It is indeed smooth and accurate in general, but the very left edge of my touchpad (about ¼”) is dead, yielding no response. Also, the acoustic quality of the touchpad press could have been tweaked to produce a better sound on the depress. Also note that using any regular (i.e., non-touchpad) mouse is more accurate and easier in some specific instances (as when cropping images by dragging the edges of the cropping tool just a tiny bit).
5. The software allows all the usual navigation options, but unlike the Windows 7 software of some of the more traditional Logitech keyboards and mice, where you could assign all kinds of key combinations to various buttons, the software here doesn’t allow you to do that. For example, on my old Logitech mouse, I assigned Ctr+F4 to my middle mouse button, which allowed me to close any browser tab or document window with just one mouse click. With the TK820 and the current software, there is no way to accomplish that with a mouse gesture or click/gesture combo.
6. Finally, most annoyingly, and most unforgivably: Logitech skimped on some dedicated keys that are found on most other keyboards but not on the TK820. There is no dedicated Home, End, Page Up, Page Down keys. These keys are big time-savers, and their omission is tragic. I was eventually able to get used to pressing the FN key and the arrow keys to achieve the same results, but only after a couple of weeks of use, and it is still more complicated than it needs to be, especially when you also sometimes need to press the Shift key when selecting a block of text in Word. Having the function keys (F1 – F12) being the same keys as the media buttons (volume up/down, play, pause, etc.) is also inexcusable. Also, why are the arrow keys so small and so bunched together??

To conclude, even though I ended up keeping this keyboard/touchpad, every time I use it (which is several hours each day) I am upset when I think how much better it could have been and should have been. I urge Logitech to release an all-new model which fixes all the problems I mentioned in this review. I don’t care if it costs more. A keyboard is used for many hours each day for several years, and this is not a product where you want to skimp on build quality and features, certainly not in the flagship model.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work out, February 13, 2014
Pros:
• very hansom unit
• keystroke feel is excellent
• on/off switch (common sense for something with batteries)
• 2/3 finger gestures were handy for scrolling, etc (when they worked)
• very configurable

Cons:
• trackpad is jumpy, intermittent, hard to control; I tweaked and tweaked and just couldn't make it acceptable
• seems to suffer a lot of dropouts, even with dongle nearby
• sometimes the gestures would work, other times they wouldn't and it'd simply move the pointer (zoom was a lost cause)
• click pad (the whole thing is a big button) is essentially useless because the pointer would roll off whatever you're clicking
• no left/right click buttons for solid operation, meaning you have to rely on the pad configuration to be solid (it isn't)
• no 10-key, not even in UIO/JKL
• missing other keys like "print screen" that are useful, with function keys that aren't

All and all, it was a lot of bells and whistles without solid performance. For that kind of money, they really should have worked the bugs out of the track pad and fitted it with more standard/useful key functions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works only OK in Linux, January 17, 2014
C. Keane (Deer Park, WA) - See all my reviews
The keyboard and touchpad work OK in Ubuntu 13.10. The touchpad shows up basically as a mouse... one finger moves the mouse cursor, two finger scrolling emulates a mouse wheel. One tap is left click, two finger tap is right click. Three finger drag down gives Super-L+d, three fingers up gives Super-L x 2. The underlying physical buttons work as expected.

I was kinda hoping the touchpad would provide, well, a touchpad. I'd actually like to use the 3- and 4-finger unity gestures, but no luck. I love the feel of the keyboard for typing, and the touch functions that are provided are fine (as good as a mouse).

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for use with Chromebox, May 25, 2014
Overall this is a decent keyboard/touchpad combo. It can be flaky with Chrome OS at times by lagging or becoming unresponsive, but this could be a fault of Chrome itself. My main issue is that the touchpad "clicks", the slightest pressure registers a mouse click, so when using Chrome gestures such as double tap you end up with multiple taps. Mouse pointer is really laggy and in Chrome there isn't really any mouse adjustments you can make to speed up pointer movement. ( this may be a a feature they are working on). Overall it is a decent keyboard combo, built well and nice price. I have used Logitech products for ages and have always been happy with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but often unresponsive, March 14, 2014
After using this for a few months as my main keyboard with >10h of use everyday, I can say I like it, but far from love it. The keys are awesome in every way imaginable, nice chicklet click, good spacing etc. It does take a bit to get used to due to a slight shift in the keys- no big deal.

My gripe comes with the trackpad.

pros; awesome gestures, its big
cons; can be extremely unresponsive, cannot use 2 fingers for dragging a big area

It randomly will start stuttering when moving the pointer around, sometimes it jumps HUGE jumps and youre like.. wtf where did it go. Other times a double tap wont engage.. or will it? Next thing you know youve highlighted the line instead of the word.. and then you have nothing highlighted.

Overall, excellent keyboard with functional key placement and shortcuts -- which are all 100% customize-able

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this to use with Macs. "Tap to click" is too sensitive and cannot be disabled on Mac OS., November 12, 2014
I got this to go with a Mac mini. Though Mac OS support is not officially stated, I thought that since most PC keyboards and mice work well in Mac OS, this one should be fine. It also had a nice big trackpad. I was disappointed.

While the overall feel of the keyboard portion and the build quality is good, the trackpad does not work that well on Mac OS. The touch pad has the "tap to click" functionality enabled and it is too sensitive. 9 out of 10 times I put my finger on it to move the cursor, it'd trigger the click action or the drag action. Since there is no Mac OS driver for this, there is no way to disable or finetune this behaviour. Hopefully Logitech will release a driver that will fix this.

I have not tried this on Windows, but I think it might work much better on it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not expect it to be this bad. Touch pad is difficult to control, October 29, 2014
Did not expect it to be this bad. Touch pad is difficult to control, buttons on it are all messed up- when you click once it frequently reads it as a double click. Wanted to use it for easy Internet surfing-but failed. Would never recommend this model. Previous is so much better. There are two stars, because had no connectivity issues, although overall performance is still very low.