Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LogitechMk520 Wireless Keyboard/ Mouse Combo
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Size: 1-Pack|Change

VINE VOICEon September 20, 2010
Size: 1-Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Logitech MK520 is a well featured, basic wireless keyboard/mouse combination. There are a few quirks with the keyboard that should be addressed and merit the loss of a star, as will be explained shortly.

PACKAGING/OVERALL EXTERIOR DESIGN: The package comes with a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, receiver, and female USB cord. I immediately impressed by the small size of the USB receiver; compared to my wireless Logitech G7 receiver, this thing is microscopic! The keyboard itself is black, with a clear transparent plastic frame overlaid on top with a slight bit of overhang. It's a nice clean design, and reminds me of some of the "floating glass" frames of certain Sony Bravia TV models. The transparent plastic also has a functional purpose, in addition to being aesthetically pleasing- it makes the keyboard spill resistant. The mouse is a pretty standard design, and fits my palm nicely and comfortably. Nothing extraordinary about the mouse.

FUNCTIONAL USAGE: As soon as I plugged the receiver into the USB jack, Windows XP automatically installed the drivers and I was up and running in a few seconds. The keyboard types smoothly, and there's very little clicking to be heard. The keys are comfortable to depress, and the built in wrist rest makes typing over long durations quite comfortable. I tested the wireless keyboard and mouse about 10 feet away from the receiver without problems. Curious, I decided to try the combination in a gaming situation, where I output Bad Company 2 from my PC to 42" TV, and played on my couch using the wireless keyboard and mouse. The keyboard worked well, but the mouse is clearly not a gaming mouse. There was considerable lag, and movements were imprecise. So the mouse is not optimized for gaming!

I then plugged in my Logitech G7 Wireless mouse, and used it in tandem with the wireless MK520 keyboard. I was concerned that since the G7 was also operating at 2.4 GHz, there might be interference between the 2 devices. Fortunately, my concerns were premature, and the two devices worked beautifully together!

KEYBOARD THOUGHTS: The keyboard comes with 12 special Function keys which are shortcut keys to start various programs. Some include bringing up web browsers, opening My Computer, defaulting to the desktop view, etc.. I found only a few of these buttons to be useful, e.g. the open web browser key (Fn+F1). However, the web browser shortcut key closes all other web browsers (even if you're using Firefox), which is rather annoying. I would've preferred that it open a new window or tab, rather than close all existing windows. Pressing the shortcut for the media players brought up Winamp for me; the problem with these shortcut keys is that there are no provisions to allow the user to re-program the corresponding applications for personal customization. I would've liked to see an ability to change the default media player from Winamp to my media player of choice, e.g. Media Player Classic. Similarly, I would've liked to see an ability to change the web browser so that existing windows are not closed.

There is a shortcut key to bring up the Windows Calculator, which I think is a brilliant shortcut key. I actually use the built-in calculator quite frequently, and the shortcut key is conveniently placed.

**UPDATE**: The keyboard offers limited personal customization by downloading the latest Setpoint software drivers from Logitech's website. I would've preferred if the drivers had been incorporated into the package to begin with onto a CD, or some explanation given in the manual however.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Lastly, the MK520 claims a remarkable miserly battery life of 3 years for the keyboard, and 1 year for the mouse. Both the keyboard and mouse automatically go to sleep after a period of no usage, and both have on/off switches, a thoughtful touch. It's quite remarkable considering that the keyboard only uses 2 AA batteries, and the mouse 1 AA battery (note: batteries are already provided by Logitech in the package).

In conclusion, it's a very good basic wireless keyboard/mouse combo that could use some reprogramming to address the shortcut keys.
1717 comments| 536 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2013
About a month after owning this product I started to experience severe keyboard (and mouse) lag. I would type keys onto the keyboard, and for 10 - 20 seconds nothing would happen. This happens repeatedly and is a very, very common problem is you google search "mk520 keyboard lag". I have searched the internet for solutions, which range from moving the usb receiver to a new usb slot to moving it closer to the computer, none of which have worked for me. The same thing happens on a second computer as well. Unfortunately this device is a bit expensive to be useless and very unfortunate for me to have such a bad experience when I normally do not with Logitech products.
1818 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2013
I purchased this keyboard/mouse combo about 4 months ago. I am usually fond of Logitech items, as they are easy to use and are made well.
Around 2 weeks ago, the mouse started to malfunction. Every time I would click once, it would double click. I thought the best remedy would be to contact Logitech support and start a warranty claim. The rep was nice, and he offered to send out another mouse as long as I can email him an invoice.
I emailed him the invoice from Amazon and they replied back that any items purchased from Amazon Marketplace would not be eligible for any sort or warranty. Nowhere in the warranty papers that were included in the box did it say that the warranty would not cover Amazon Marketplace purchases, nor did it say that anywhere on their website. When I emailed Logitech with their warranty information that was included with the purchase, they just stopped replying to my emails.
My suggestion is to purchase a different brand keyboard/mouse, as if something will happen to your keyboard/mouse, Logitech will find all sorts of excuses not to warranty their item.
88 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 1-Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been a very loyal Logitech user for years and when this combination keyboard and mouse became available I was quite enthusiastic. After giving it a good go over and quite a bit of use since I installed them, I have to state that my preference for this company's various products was quite well reinforced. I love this mouse and keyboard!
This set includes the MK520 wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I must admit to have cheated a bit here as I have been using this particular mouse on a lap top for some time now and have been delighted with it.

This is a basic keyboard and basic mouse. Now both are rather personal items and each person will have there own likes and dislikes when it comes to a product such as this. This is about the fifth Logitech keyboard I have owned so I was an am quite use to it. (The demise of the others is a long sad story).

Installation of this keyboard and mouse was a snap and took me all of fifteen minutes; and it must be remembered that I am a complexly inept as such things. Batteries are already installed in both items and basically all you have to do is plug the small receiver into the USB jack, and after my Windows XP did it's installation thing, I was ready go to...it could not have been simpler. I did not use, or have a need to use the cord that you can use on your USB as it simply was not needed with my particular set up.

The keyboard is quite attractive; black in color with an almost glasslike finish around the keys. It is smooth and extremely quiet. It features the standard keys; both alphabetical and the number keyboard to the right side. It also has a row of quick start keys at the top, most of which I have absolutely no use for but can see where others would find them useful. I do like the calculator key as it pops the windows calculator right up and I do use that quite a bit.

The mouse is a basic mouse and as one reviewer has mentioned already, it will be more comfortable with smaller hands than large. I have smaller hands so it is perfect for me. It has the left/right click functions and a scroll wheel. Now please take note! This mouse would not be suited for heavy duty gamers; it is nothing fancy. I use the ones my grandsons have on their computers every now and then, and to be quite frank, those things sort of scare me. I am pretty sure that if I made the wrong move, my hand would be vaporized for transported into another dimension. You just never know about stuff like that! No, this is a workhorse type of mouse which is quite functional for the everyday things I use it for...like my everyday mundane work. It is smooth, easy to operate and actually quite accurate. It works on just about any surface...within reason of course. (I just tried in on the carpet...works fine).

As has been pointed out by others, the instruction booklet that comes with this package is next to worthless and I should think that a company that turned out such nice products would stick a written piece of junk like this in.... you would think they would make a bit of an effort in this area...go figure.

As to the battery life: They claim that the battery life of the keyboard is up to three years and for the mouse one year. I do not know about that as I have not had this thing that long. I do know that the mouse I have on my lap top...the same model as included here, has lasted at least 7 months now and is still going strong. Both mouse and keyboard go into sleep mode when not in use but start instantly at first touch.

Looking at the price here, it seems to me that you are getting quite a lot of very good and functional equipment for very few dollars.

I wish I had had this combination when I had my pet pig Homer. Homer was a very well trained, housebroken, house pig with very good manners; when all is said and done. I go barefooted when I am in the house even in the winter, and Homer use to lie under my computer desk and I would rest and warm my feet on him. Homer had one flaw to his character (well, actually two), the first being that be loved to bite mouse and keyboard cords. He did in three of mine. He could slice them cleaner than a wire cutter could. No matter how I tried to hide and configure my cords, he would figure it out and cut them. This says more about my intelligence than it does his, I suppose. I was willing to put up with it but Homer made the mistake of wondering into my wife's office one weekend while she was out of town, and doing her cords in. It was the same fall weekend that he found, rooted up and ate over 700 crocus bulbs she had just planted in the yard. Homer was banished to the barn...

Anyway, this keyboard and mouse are a great combination. With the exception of the instruction booklet, I have absolutely nothing but good to say about them.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks
1414 comments| 218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2013
There was no laser in my laser mouse, so the cursor didn't move. I should have believed the negative reviews of this item. This is my first bad experience with a Logitech product.
review image
44 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2013
This was exactly what I was looking for! Well, I should revise that statement... This keyboard is exactly what I was looking for. Perfect size, wireless works great, and the physical key response (how it feels to type) is perfect for my preference. It's not too "soft." That was the key consideration for me.

I personally use this keyboard with the Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse, which I much prefer. I then pack the included mouse in my laptop bag and use that on the go. The unifying receiver just stays in my laptop 24/7.

Overall, very pleased! My only suggestion would be to sell the keyboard separately.
review image review image
on June 15, 2015
I have owned a few different Logitech accessories over the years and loved them all. Have owned this keyboard and mouse set for over a year now and LOVE IT. Never had any problems with it. Functions as it should and does it well. Batteries last a long time - as advertised (but depending on actual use). The buttons on the keyboard are soft, precise and fairly quiet. The mouse controls feel very precise as well. The clicks are short and distinct and the scroll wheel feels smooth. There is an LED light on both the keyboard and the mouse that warns you when the batteries need replacement - very handy. The keyboard has an adjustable tilt by moving the rubberized feet. You can also stand it on it's side and let it stand at a 90-degree angle to give you more desktop space. The keyboard also seems to be spill-proof as it is has a few slots on the bottom for the liquid to drain through (see pictures). Range: I sometimes use this set with my TV while the PC (connected via long HDMI cable) they're connected to is in a room about 15 feet away and works without interruptions. Overall, a great set and a good price that lasts and is backed by a good brand! Go Logitech!
review image review image
on October 23, 2015
The keyboard and mouse work fine. However after about a year of use, the frequently-used keys have lost their letter designations. The letters e, a, s, d, and c are fading away from use. I don't type all day. I emailed Logitech to see if they had stick-on letters, but no reply. Annoying if you are not a touch typist.
on September 26, 2013
This keyboard and mouse combination has been so useful in my work environment, and I have never had an issue with connectivity between either component and the USB transmitter. I love having the calculator button, and use it often, as well as the volume buttons. The feet that unfold to put the keyboard at an angle put it at the perfect height. I find the caps lock indicator light on the caps lock button to be extremely helpful, as well. My ONLY issue with this keyboard is that the letters are wearing off! Maybe this is normal after 2 years' use, but the old, wired Dell keyboards that came with desktop packages certainly didn't have that problem. I use it all day, and the battery life is indeed as good as they claim, however, when the battery outlasts the "A" printed on the A key, that's weird, right? So far, I have worn off the A, O, L, N, M and most of the S. The wrist rest is very subtly textured, and I have worn two palm-print sized shiny, smooth spots onto that, as well. This doesn't bother me, but the missing letters are kind of annoying.
on August 20, 2014
I am not one to write reviews but I am so disappointed in this product that I have to say something. I expected better quality from Logitech. This device constantly freezes. Both the mouse and the keyboard will loose connection. I mean in a 5 minute session I will loose connection probably over 10 times making it quite difficult to send emails, etc. I have everything including changing batteries on both devices, I installed the Logitech desktop software and disconnected the devices per their instruction then "re-unitied" (using their terminology here) the keyboard and mouse and same issue. I checked for firmware updates and I currently have the latest.

For troubleshooting purposes I turned off the wifi on my router, I have no cordless phones to interfere with the signal. SAME RESULT. I am now stuck with this poorly designed keyboard and mouse when there are so many other wifi keyboard combos out there for less. Logitech, shame on you. Your customers should not have to go through this.

Note: Per the Amazon details I should have received a extended signal antenna cable. I never received one. I cant return it because its now a few days past the return window.