2,630
Logitech Wireless Combo Mk520 With Keyboard and Mouse
Price:$34.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Logitech MK520 is a well featured, basic wireless keyboard/mouse combination. There are a few quirks with the keyboard that should be addressed and merit the loss of a star, as will be explained shortly.

PACKAGING/OVERALL EXTERIOR DESIGN: The package comes with a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, receiver, and female USB cord. I immediately impressed by the small size of the USB receiver; compared to my wireless Logitech G7 receiver, this thing is microscopic! The keyboard itself is black, with a clear transparent plastic frame overlaid on top with a slight bit of overhang. It's a nice clean design, and reminds me of some of the "floating glass" frames of certain Sony Bravia TV models. The transparent plastic also has a functional purpose, in addition to being aesthetically pleasing- it makes the keyboard spill resistant. The mouse is a pretty standard design, and fits my palm nicely and comfortably. Nothing extraordinary about the mouse.

FUNCTIONAL USAGE: As soon as I plugged the receiver into the USB jack, Windows XP automatically installed the drivers and I was up and running in a few seconds. The keyboard types smoothly, and there's very little clicking to be heard. The keys are comfortable to depress, and the built in wrist rest makes typing over long durations quite comfortable. I tested the wireless keyboard and mouse about 10 feet away from the receiver without problems. Curious, I decided to try the combination in a gaming situation, where I output Bad Company 2 from my PC to 42" TV, and played on my couch using the wireless keyboard and mouse. The keyboard worked well, but the mouse is clearly not a gaming mouse. There was considerable lag, and movements were imprecise. So the mouse is not optimized for gaming!

I then plugged in my Logitech G7 Wireless mouse, and used it in tandem with the wireless MK520 keyboard. I was concerned that since the G7 was also operating at 2.4 GHz, there might be interference between the 2 devices. Fortunately, my concerns were premature, and the two devices worked beautifully together!

KEYBOARD THOUGHTS: The keyboard comes with 12 special Function keys which are shortcut keys to start various programs. Some include bringing up web browsers, opening My Computer, defaulting to the desktop view, etc.. I found only a few of these buttons to be useful, e.g. the open web browser key (Fn+F1). However, the web browser shortcut key closes all other web browsers (even if you're using Firefox), which is rather annoying. I would've preferred that it open a new window or tab, rather than close all existing windows. Pressing the shortcut for the media players brought up Winamp for me; the problem with these shortcut keys is that there are no provisions to allow the user to re-program the corresponding applications for personal customization. I would've liked to see an ability to change the default media player from Winamp to my media player of choice, e.g. Media Player Classic. Similarly, I would've liked to see an ability to change the web browser so that existing windows are not closed.

There is a shortcut key to bring up the Windows Calculator, which I think is a brilliant shortcut key. I actually use the built-in calculator quite frequently, and the shortcut key is conveniently placed.

**UPDATE**: The keyboard offers limited personal customization by downloading the latest Setpoint software drivers from Logitech's website. I would've preferred if the drivers had been incorporated into the package to begin with onto a CD, or some explanation given in the manual however.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Lastly, the MK520 claims a remarkable miserly battery life of 3 years for the keyboard, and 1 year for the mouse. Both the keyboard and mouse automatically go to sleep after a period of no usage, and both have on/off switches, a thoughtful touch. It's quite remarkable considering that the keyboard only uses 2 AA batteries, and the mouse 1 AA battery (note: batteries are already provided by Logitech in the package).

In conclusion, it's a very good basic wireless keyboard/mouse combo that could use some reprogramming to address the shortcut keys.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been a very loyal Logitech user for years and when this combination keyboard and mouse became available I was quite enthusiastic. After giving it a good go over and quite a bit of use since I installed them, I have to state that my preference for this company's various products was quite well reinforced. I love this mouse and keyboard!
This set includes the MK520 wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I must admit to have cheated a bit here as I have been using this particular mouse on a lap top for some time now and have been delighted with it.

This is a basic keyboard and basic mouse. Now both are rather personal items and each person will have there own likes and dislikes when it comes to a product such as this. This is about the fifth Logitech keyboard I have owned so I was an am quite use to it. (The demise of the others is a long sad story).

Installation of this keyboard and mouse was a snap and took me all of fifteen minutes; and it must be remembered that I am a complexly inept as such things. Batteries are already installed in both items and basically all you have to do is plug the small receiver into the USB jack, and after my Windows XP did it's installation thing, I was ready go to...it could not have been simpler. I did not use, or have a need to use the cord that you can use on your USB as it simply was not needed with my particular set up.

The keyboard is quite attractive; black in color with an almost glasslike finish around the keys. It is smooth and extremely quiet. It features the standard keys; both alphabetical and the number keyboard to the right side. It also has a row of quick start keys at the top, most of which I have absolutely no use for but can see where others would find them useful. I do like the calculator key as it pops the windows calculator right up and I do use that quite a bit.

The mouse is a basic mouse and as one reviewer has mentioned already, it will be more comfortable with smaller hands than large. I have smaller hands so it is perfect for me. It has the left/right click functions and a scroll wheel. Now please take note! This mouse would not be suited for heavy duty gamers; it is nothing fancy. I use the ones my grandsons have on their computers every now and then, and to be quite frank, those things sort of scare me. I am pretty sure that if I made the wrong move, my hand would be vaporized for transported into another dimension. You just never know about stuff like that! No, this is a workhorse type of mouse which is quite functional for the everyday things I use it for...like my everyday mundane work. It is smooth, easy to operate and actually quite accurate. It works on just about any surface...within reason of course. (I just tried in on the carpet...works fine).

As has been pointed out by others, the instruction booklet that comes with this package is next to worthless and I should think that a company that turned out such nice products would stick a written piece of junk like this in.... you would think they would make a bit of an effort in this area...go figure.

As to the battery life: They claim that the battery life of the keyboard is up to three years and for the mouse one year. I do not know about that as I have not had this thing that long. I do know that the mouse I have on my lap top...the same model as included here, has lasted at least 7 months now and is still going strong. Both mouse and keyboard go into sleep mode when not in use but start instantly at first touch.

Looking at the price here, it seems to me that you are getting quite a lot of very good and functional equipment for very few dollars.

I wish I had had this combination when I had my pet pig Homer. Homer was a very well trained, housebroken, house pig with very good manners; when all is said and done. I go barefooted when I am in the house even in the winter, and Homer use to lie under my computer desk and I would rest and warm my feet on him. Homer had one flaw to his character (well, actually two), the first being that be loved to bite mouse and keyboard cords. He did in three of mine. He could slice them cleaner than a wire cutter could. No matter how I tried to hide and configure my cords, he would figure it out and cut them. This says more about my intelligence than it does his, I suppose. I was willing to put up with it but Homer made the mistake of wondering into my wife's office one weekend while she was out of town, and doing her cords in. It was the same fall weekend that he found, rooted up and ate over 700 crocus bulbs she had just planted in the yard. Homer was banished to the barn...

Anyway, this keyboard and mouse are a great combination. With the exception of the instruction booklet, I have absolutely nothing but good to say about them.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 5, 2013
About a month after owning this product I started to experience severe keyboard (and mouse) lag. I would type keys onto the keyboard, and for 10 - 20 seconds nothing would happen. This happens repeatedly and is a very, very common problem is you google search "mk520 keyboard lag". I have searched the internet for solutions, which range from moving the usb receiver to a new usb slot to moving it closer to the computer, none of which have worked for me. The same thing happens on a second computer as well. Unfortunately this device is a bit expensive to be useless and very unfortunate for me to have such a bad experience when I normally do not with Logitech products.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
I purchased this keyboard/mouse combo about 4 months ago. I am usually fond of Logitech items, as they are easy to use and are made well.
Around 2 weeks ago, the mouse started to malfunction. Every time I would click once, it would double click. I thought the best remedy would be to contact Logitech support and start a warranty claim. The rep was nice, and he offered to send out another mouse as long as I can email him an invoice.
I emailed him the invoice from Amazon and they replied back that any items purchased from Amazon Marketplace would not be eligible for any sort or warranty. Nowhere in the warranty papers that were included in the box did it say that the warranty would not cover Amazon Marketplace purchases, nor did it say that anywhere on their website. When I emailed Logitech with their warranty information that was included with the purchase, they just stopped replying to my emails.
My suggestion is to purchase a different brand keyboard/mouse, as if something will happen to your keyboard/mouse, Logitech will find all sorts of excuses not to warranty their item.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 3, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Logitech MK520 Wireless Combo is a budget mouse and keyboard set that Logitech has recently made available. I myself am not a big fan of combo sets but do understand their draw to some users. I got the MK520 primarily for my parents to use and it suits them pretty well.

PROS:
- Good keyboard encryption
- Good overall value
- Unifying receiver
- Attractive keyboard
- Long battery life
- 1000 dpi laser mouse

CONS:
- Dimpled "incurve" keys feel odd
- Only 1 Fn (function) key
- Mouse is too light
- Mouse lacks thumb button

KEYBOARD
Logitech takes some liberties when it comes to designing the layout for the non-QWERTY sections of their keyboards. They don't have a standard layout across their own keyboards so it always takes me a few minutes to figure out where they have moved the keys. Granted, the keys that most often get relocated are the ones in the mid-section (Arrows, PgUp/PgDn, DEL, INSERT, etc.) All the F-keys are double function keys when used in combination with the Fn key, located on the right side of the space bar. I've mentioned this in other reviews, but Logitech should really put the Fn key on both sides of the space bar so you can actually reach all 13 shortcut keys using one hand. The Incurve keys, as Logitech calls them, are supposed to help with typing efficiency and comfort but I didn't find them to make much of a difference in comfort or efficiency. They did feel a little weird though at first. The keys are relatively quiet but the rounded edges don't look quite as nice as squared off edges. The one thing I really disliked about the keyboard was what they did with the row of modifier keys and space bar. It is nearly flush with the palm rest. On most keyboards, that row of keys are actually raised ABOVE the other keys and nowhere near flush with the palm rest. The palm rest is a bit small and is made of hard plastic. No soft or cushioned palm rest here. I also noticed a very slight lag while typing, but it was very slight. I normally use a wired keyboard and type pretty fast, which is probably the only reason I even noticed it. Battery life is rated at up to 3 years, though I would guess that we'll see maybe half that, if we're lucky. The keyboard (and mouse) uses the better 2.4GHz wireless system and also includes 128-bit AES encryption (for keyboard), which is normally found on their more expensive keyboards. One thing I did really appreciate about the keyboard was the clean layout with only a few extra media control keys. It's a pretty good looking keyboard and Logitech added a nice aesthetic design touch by bordering the keyboard with thin clear plastic. For a budget wireless keyboard, I do think it's a decent keyboard for those who don't need much more.

MOUSE
The mouse that is included in the combo is the Logitech M310 in silver, which is their line of wallet-friendly fashion mice. It is a basic laser mouse and the two-tone appearance does not match the keyboard. It tracks well at 1000 dpi, which is pretty good for general use since many basic mice are at 800dpi. The sides are easy to grip and reasonably comfortable. It's not as comfortable as the more ergonomic mice in Logitech's line, but is sufficient for this combo set. There is one glaring omission however, on the M310. It lacks a thumb button. Microsoft puts thumb buttons on nearly all of their mice but Logitech chooses to leave them out in most of their budget mice. It's a real pain when you've become accustomed to relying on it. The scroll wheel was a very important addition to mice when it was first added. With the Internet and especially for web surfing, I find the thumb button to be just as essential. The M310 mouse also doesn't include Logitech's legendary hyper-fast scroll wheel. You just get the ubiquitous ratcheting-only rubber scroll wheel that works well enough.

OTHER
The unifying wireless nano receiver is excellent. Use up only one USB port for both devices and if you add other devices in the future that supports the unifying feature, you can still just use the same single receiver with up to 6 devices. I had no connection problems with the receiver being connected to my desktop that sits on the floor under my desk.

SUMMARY
Neither the keyboard nor the mouse in the MK520 stand out in this value set. The keyboard is the better of the two devices. The mouse, a M310 that was thrown in to create this combo, is the weak link. Other than being wireless and using a nano receiver, this mouse really has no distinguishing features. It's as basic as basic gets. I would've liked to have seen the Logitech M510 in this set instead, for the thumb buttons alone. All that said, for the current price, the MK520 is probably going to be among the more popular budget wireless sets. For folks like my parents, who really only use their computer sparingly, it should be good enough. I just hope my father doesn't chew me out for not having a thumb button on his mouse.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 17, 2011
Verified Purchase
I am a Computer Science Major. I spend countless hours on the computer and I'm constantly using a keyboard.

Installation: Completely painless. I put the USB transceiver in, Win7 auto detected, and it basically installed itself. It comes with batteries pre-installed, but you have to yank out the plastic tabs. The kybd and mouse synced up instantaneously.

Quite a bit of thought was put into the design of this keyboard. The space bar has an outward bulge to it, making it easier on the thumbs. The tension on the keys is light, but brisk. There is a slight bit of sway on the keys, but this is not a $100 keyboard. "F" and "J" home keys denoted with a raised bar, not a pathetic little bump that cannot be felt. Rubber bumpers on the bottom side, toward the user, provide resistance on table/tray/etc, plus the weight of the kybd prevents it from sliding forward while you type. The struts on the back that give a steeper angle positively click into place and don't appear to be flimsy.

The play, forward, and reverse skip buttons at the top with with iTunes. The volume controls and mute work as well. It even has a button in the very upper right hand corner to execute the windows calculator program, so I was able to unpin it from my task bar.

I just received this kybd from Amazon today (Saturday, July 16, 2011), so I haven't been able to test out everything. However, I was able to retire my old, junky USB kybd that was driving me crazy and really rock out the 4 projects I have due on Monday.

All in all, this is an exceptional keyboard for the money. It uses AA batteries, so I won't have to worry about tossing the keyboard in the trash when the rechargeable battery peters out. Plus, it comes with a wireless mouse that I put in my laptop bag. No more using the stupid touch pad on my laptop!

Upsides: Great value, construction is of a higher quality than what you pay for, aesthetically pleasing.

Downsides: Not an illuminated kybd.

Update (11/8/2014): I am still using this keyboard. I have only changed the batteries in it once. I am now using Windows 8.1 and it continues to work as advertised.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
There was no laser in my laser mouse, so the cursor didn't move. I should have believed the negative reviews of this item. This is my first bad experience with a Logitech product.
review image
on July 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
Synopsis: It's a decent enough wireless keyboard and mouse for those on a budget, but the incredibly imprecise and twitchy mouse, and very unergonomic keyboard make it worth springing an extra 20 bucks or so for a better combination.

As a longtime Logitech owner (G5 mouse, two other sets of wireless keyboards and mice, headsets, etc) I've been pretty satisfied with just about everything that's come out of their labs. THis is the first time I've been anything less than pleased with what they've knocked up. Up to this point I had been using a wired setup on my desk and wanted to ditch the wires to make it a cleaner configuration. Being on a budget I decided to spring for this little setup as a nice combination of laser mouse tracking and fullsize keyboard. I'm going to split the review into two parts just to address both halves of the combo, the keyboard and the mouse.

THe keyboard itself is actually pretty solid. The keys have a nice travel distance with a soft cushion at the end so it doesn't batter your fingertips like a meat tenderizer. It's full size, so you get the advantage of a full 10 key numpad plus the media buttons (which function in OSX and WIndows, I have not tested Linux yet). THe keys have a pretty great responsiveness, there is no wireless lag I was able to determine, but as you may have noticed from a few odd capitalization errors I left in place, there is a 'sticking' on the shift key. You will press it and it will remain stuck for just a millisecond longer when you are typing. Nothing too egregious, and a fairly common typing error, but not something I experience with most keyboards. The keyboard is also not terribly ergonomic in it's shape, being just the standard rectangle rather than a more comfortable curve.

The mouse, however, is the wobbliest leg of this setup. What might be a little difficult to tell from the pictures without a sense of scale is that this is NOT a full size mouse. Despite the fact that this keyboard is full and not travel sized, Logitech decided to include a travel size mouse with a desktop sized keyboard. While it may be a subjective viewpoint, I cannot stand travel sized mice for just about anything. They are hard to manipulate easily and ergonomically because you end up having manipulate them gently with your fingertips or your wrist, which is the worst way to use a mouse. You are placing extra strain on your joints and you can't get nearly the same level of precision. The tracking on the mouse, despite being laser, is very strangely configured. It's very sensitive but not in a good way. Just trying to gently manipulate the mouse to select a button ends up with it moving just a hair too far in any direction. Not to mention that this is only a three button mouse, there is no back button, no forward, and the middle click button has a bad habit of trying to scroll instead of clicking.

Overall I would say that this is not going to be at the top of my list for any recommendations of a wireless keyboard and mouse. If someone is already used to the mouse size then I wouldn't steer them away from it since they'll already be accustomed to it's twitchiness, but for anyone else, and my own self, I will not be going for this option.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2011
Verified Purchase
I purchased this to accompany my aging MacBook Pro (first generation), as I tried to lend new life to the device by attaching it to a recently purchased external monitor. As I wanted to keep my laptop closed when working with the monitor, I required a reliable yet affordable external keyboard and mouse as well. The MK520 fit the bill and works just fine with my Mac.

The most important thing to know about the MK520 (and any Logitech keyboard) is that you will NOT get 100% functionality out of this keyboard. A couple of the buttons just won't work with Macs, but volume does and so does a few others that I was surprised about.

The biggest difference between a PC keyboard and Mac keyboard is the lack of a Command button on the PC keyboard. Since the Command button mostly takes the function of the Ctrl button anyway, I reprogrammed my Ctrl button on the MK520 to operate as the Mac Command button. The process for doing this is simple:

System Preferences --> Keyboard --> Modifier Keys --> Select keyboard: USB Receiver --> Change "Control (^) Key" to Command.

After that, you should be in good shape copying, pasting, bolding, italicizing, etc. like you were using a regular Mac keyboard. I am absolutely not missing any crucial keys.

The other thing to note is that the reason why I selected the MK520 over the other, cheaper Logitech keyboards is purely for the small size of the USB receiver. The thing is tiny -- perhaps a half of an inch -- which was important to me, because I intend on keeping the receiver plugged into my USB port pretty much 100% of the time and I didn't want to worry about breaking the thing off if I transported it. If this doesn't matter to you, you're probably better off going for the cheaper model.

Hope that helps. Great keyboard and mouse combo that I am certainly happy to have purchased. I certainly feel like this is a better value than the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2014
I've owned the MK270 and thought I would get a replacement and a big of an upgrade with the MK520 since my keys were getting sticky. Turns out, the MK520 is 100x worse than its cheaper brother.

The keyboard is big, heavy and doesn't move around freely like my current one. The feet have a lot of friction. Since it's wireless, I can push the MK270 keyboard around and move it to any desired position or orientation, or easily just push it to the side to make room on my desk. It's far more difficult with the MK520 keyboard. The typing experience is not good. There is less travel with low height, the keys wiggle more, and they are round so there is very little distinction going from one key to another. Having thin laptop style keys on a big keyboard is just an oxymoron. This is not a cute compact bluetooth keyboard you put in your bag. And that plastic trim around the edge that I tried to break of because I thought it was part of the packaging is very cheap looking and a waste of space and isn't glued tight so it just wiggles. Logitech touts this keyboard is quiet. It really isn't anything special, although more quiet than my current one with stuff stuck under the keys. Absolute fail on so many levels, this keyboard.

The mouse was really the reason why I wanted to upgrade, but it is also way worse than my current MK270 one. For one, the size is actually SMALLER. It feels like a mobile mouse. It's not wide enough or long enough, but is tall enough to be uncomfortable for my hand. The rubber sides do not feel good and feel clammy in comparison to the matte plastic of my current mouse. There is no tilt or any extra buttons. The mouse is "laser" and is more precise than the MK270 one, but not enough to make up for the even more egregious flaws of the terrible buttons. It seems most of the cost of the mouse was spent on adding laser tracking and nothing else. The left/right buttons are loud as hell with an annoying high and hollow pitch and thunk response, less clicking and more like moving plate tectonics. The scroll wheel is even worse. Scrolling has immense cheap friction and it grinds with a low thud like you are breaking the mouse. Pushing on it as the middle button is also met with an unnerving low thud. It's the cheapest mouse I've encountered yet, even cheaper than those no name $5 ones.

Avoid this keyboard/mouse combo at all costs. Get the cheap MK270 instead. Logitech use to make some decent keyboard combos, especially in their midrange section, some I wish they still had in stock, but I can't believe a current higher end model is actually crappier than the cheaper one. Yes, they are both cheap, but within Logitech products in general, its a big downgrade.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations