1,052 Reviews

This is a great mouse for reasons all stated in other reviews. However, some complaints I've seen about this mouse in other websites come from people who have not read the manual and missed some features this mouse offers that address their complaints.

You don't know what to do with the receiver when transporting your laptop?
First, the mouse does have a...
Published on November 1, 2010 by J.G.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Mouse - Definitely has strange tracking behavior
Published on October 6, 2011 by Mark Landry

5.0 out of 5 stars A couple of features you might overlook if you don't read the whole manual, November 1, 2010
J.G. (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Marathon Mouse M705 With 3-year Battery Life (Personal Computers)

You don't know what to do with the receiver when transporting your laptop?
First, the mouse does have a compartment for the receiver. The receiver is tiny already, so most people will just leave it inserted in their laptops during transport. However if you wish to store it with the mouse, you can do so. It does not require you to take out the batteries themselves to store the receiver, but you do have to take the battery cover off to access the compartment.

The mouse is too heavy for you?
The most awesome and rarely mentioned feature about the mouse is the ability to modify its weight and center of gravity by only using one AA battery instead of two. The reason this is so cool is because it gives you an option to lower the weight of the mouse if you think it is too heavy with 2 batteries (I thought so). You can also to change the way the weight feels in your hand by placing the battery in the slot closest to the center of the mouse or closer to the back of the mouse. Some people prefer the weight of the mouse to be on the back while others prefer it to be more centered. I left mine in the center.

How does it work with just one battery?
If you notice, the two batteries in its compartment are used in parallel (both installed looking the same way), instead of 'in series' like most electronics do (going the opposite way). The mouse works on 1.5 volts instead of 3.0 volts like the usual 2 AA battery equipment would. This is what permits the 3 year battery time. Of course, using one battery means it will probably only last about half the time as using two. I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't have much knowledge regarding the efficiency of using two instead of one battery.

How does this compare to other logitech mice in size and weight?
I use a wired Logitech G9 Laser Mouse for my desktop pc, which weights 122 grams with no additional optional weights inside. I just add 4 grams of weight for my preferences. In comparison the Marathon M705 weighs 88 grams without batteries. With one battery it weighs 112 grams and 136 grams with two. The batteries it comes with weigh 24 grams each (other brands of batteries might have a different weight). So, with two batteries this mouse is heavier than a G9 even though it is slightly shorter lengthwise and slightly thinner as well. The M705 is about 4.5 inches long, 2.8 inches wide, and 1.5 inches tall.

As a G9 user, this was the closest feel I could find in a wireless mouse. All other ones either felt too big forcing you to place your entire palm on them and disallow an optional claw grip or felt not wide enough for my hands. I enjoy the width of the G9, and even though the M705 is not as wide and connecting with as much of my palm as I would want it, it does not make my hand cramp up as most other narrower portable mice and I can use it for games without feeling like I'm using a non-full-featured mouse. It is the perfect blend of portable and full sized featured mouse.

My only gripes:
The DPI on the mouse cannot be modified. This is understandable as it is not a gaming mouse. When compared to the G9, it seems that is it is permanently set at 1000 dpi. Another problem is that it has negative acceleration. This means that when you move it fast from side to side, it registers less movement the faster you move it. This only occurs at high speed movements, such as doing a quick turn on a first person shooter game. Again, I don't detract from the rating of the mouse, because it is not meant for gaming, but I thought I would include this in the review as some people might want this information.

Edit: I'm adding an image of the M705 vs G9 to the product page so you can judge the size difference. I looked for this online but it seems not too many G9 owners have yet bought this mouse since it hasn't been out for very long.

4.0 out of 5 stars In response to the "Poor Tracking" Reviews, July 16, 2010
I bought this mouse for my desktop computer because it fit my hand well when I tried it in the store. I initially had the USB receiver plugged into the BACK of the computer and I had serious tracking issues. The mouse worked so poorly at first that I had to go through the software install using just the keyboard. I was hoping the problem had to do with drivers. It didn't. The problem was simply that the USB receiver was too far away from the mouse (or was blocked by too many obstacles). I moved the receiver to a USB port on the front of my PC and the mouse now works perfectly. And just so I don't scare too many people away with concerns that the mouse has a short range, my computer sits on the floor to the left of me and the mouse sits to my right. There's about four feet between my mouse pad and the back of the computer, with plenty of metal and clutter in between.

It's probably safe to assume those other reviewers had the same problem. If you're using this mouse with a laptop I'm sure you'll be fine. If you plan to use it with a desktop, you may want to get a USB hub if your computer is too far from the mouse and doesn't have a front USB port you can use.

5.0 out of 5 stars My search is over, October 12, 2010
I've used countless mice over the years. I've finally found the perfect mouse and this is it. I have large hands and my thumb has started to hurt a lot because my old mouse is too small and I have had to hold it using a claw grip. I went to Best Buy and tried out the different mice. For me, it came down to the Marathon versus the MX Performance. The Performance is a bit bigger and has a more sculpted area to rest your thumb which is a big plus in my book. It felt very comfortable in my hand. The Marathon is a bit smaller (though it is still quite heavy, which I like) and the thumb rest area is not nearly as pronounced or sculpted as the Performance. On the other hand, the Marathon has a THREE YEAR battery life! The Performance needs to be recharged every 30 days. Having to go through a bunch of batteries (or constantly recharge) is why I have stayed away from wireless mice all these years. But the Marathon took that excuse away.

I couldn't be happier. This is, hands down, the best mouse I have ever used.

It feels well made, not cheap and plasticky. It weighs quite a bit and feels substantial and sturdy.

The wireless reception is flawless. I have my USB receiver plugged into the bottom of a Dell monitor and the mouse is about 5 feet away and on a keyboard tray that is below the desk. The signal has to travel through a notebook computer. No problem. I don't play video games so I'm not that picky about lag, but I don't notice any lag in this mouse for my needs.

The unifying USB receiver is a great idea. I have both a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse sharing a single unifying USB receiver, which is tiny by the way. That frees up a USB port on my notebook.

The mousewheel is well-made. You can click a button just beneath the wheel to turn on click wheel mode or spin-free mode. The button is easy to access and feels sturdy. The spin-free mode is excellent for zipping though long documents and web pages.

This mouse is a perfect 10 out of 10 in my book. It's the first mouse I can say that about.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Mouse - Definitely has strange tracking behavior, October 6, 2011
I have owned several Logitech laser mice before, and have been very happy with all of them. I needed a second mouse so I could have one at home and one at the office. I wanted something a little bit cheaper than my Performance Mouse, and I wanted a mouse that used the Logitech's Unifying receiver which I already have. The Marathon mouse seemed to fit the bill and got decent reviews, so I decided to go for it.

The Pros:
- The scroll wheel. Like other Logitech mice with hyper-fast scrolling, the scroll wheel is great. It has to be my favorite feature of newer Logitech mice. In the click-to-click mode, inertia in the scroll wheel lets you scroll through things much faster than with a standard scroll wheel, while still being able to keep control of the scrolling speed. In the smooth-scrolling mode, you can scroll really fast through long documents or webpages to get to the relevant sections. The best part is (unlike some previous models) the button to change between modes is right next to the scroll wheel for easy access.
- The Unifying receiver. Having the unifying receiver means I just have to put my computer down near my mouse, and I can start using it right away. I have two offices, one at home, and one at school, and a mouse at each location. The Unifying receiver means I don't have to fiddle around with any wires or settings as I switch between both offices.
- I discovered a little spot under the battery cover where you can store your extra Unifying receiver if you have one. This is great, as I now have three receivers, but only use one.
The Neutral:
- The buttons. I basically need three extra buttons on my mouse besides the left/right click and scroll wheel: back, forward, and show desktop. This has all three (I had to reprogram the button in the thumb rest), so I'm content. However, plenty of mice on the market have these buttons, and many have more.
- The software. Logitech's SetPoint software is fine. My only complaint is that the choices of what you can program buttons to do are fairly limited. To remedy this, there is handy piece of software called uberOptions, which enables a whole variety of options for all Logitech devices. I didn't need uberOptions for my mouse, but I used it to program several of the buttons on my Logitech keyboard, and it is a great addition to SetPoint.

The Con:
- The tracking. This mouse just is not up to par with other laser mice in terms of tracking. While my Performance Mouse works flawlessly on any surface I put it on, the Marathon mouse has very sporadic tracking behavior. The problem is most noticeable when trying to make small movements - sometimes it barely responds to moving the mouse, other times it responds too quickly and goes too far. The receiver is only inches from the mouse, so distance is not a problem. I've tried every combination of speed/acceleration settings, and nothing seems to fix it. I got a cheap mouse pad, and the tracking behavior has improved substantially to the point where the mouse is usable. I have never needed a mouse pad with other laser mice (I haven't owned a mouse pad for almost 10 years). While the mouse works now, for a $40 mouse using a technology that has been around for some time now, I expected better results.

The Not-Yet-Tested:
- The battery life. This mouse touts a 3-year battery life. My guess is it will not last more than 1-2 years, but even if it lasted that long, I'd be very happy (I have to recharge my Performance Mouse every few days).

Overall Impressions:
Though I will not be returning this mouse, the reason is that it is not worth the hassle to me. I would recommend paying a few extra bucks and getting one of Logitech's other laser mice instead of this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Quality OMRON Switches kills an otherwise excellent mouse... such a terrible shame !!!, August 16, 2012
I've owned about 8-10 Logitech mice over the years, starting with their corded ball mouse, the last one in line being the M705. Well, I can tell you one thing for certain about Logitech - their quality has certainly degraded since the time I first started using them. This one & the 2 prior models before it, all died on me within a 1.5 year period of average use. Each time the problem was the same - the left click button would malfunction first and double click for each single click. This is followed by the right click button which too starts behaving erratically (provided you are still putting up with the left double click nonsense). A quick Google search will reveal that this is a problem that affects all Logitech mice since they all use the same rubbish MORON... sorry, OMRON micro-switches. These switches have a fundamentally flawed design which uses a crappy leaf spring & this is a well documented fact if you care to search around. You can of course take it apart & do a temp fix, but I can assure you the problem will return shortly. Otherwise an excellent mouse... such a terrible shame! My suggestion - look elsewhere (Microsoft would've been my fist choice were it not for their lack of customizable buttons).
PS: Food for thought - is this on purpose (for the obvious reason)???!.

5.0 out of 5 stars M705 Mouse, February 24, 2010
I really like this mouse, the Logitech Marathon Mouse M705. It has an assignable button on the bottom of the thumb rest, in a very convenient location (see picture I uploaded). This button has many programmable features. To try it out I assigned a "W" to it. Loaded up Dragons Age and was able to move forward. Running as long as I held the button down. The button is a bit hard to keep constantly down. But maybe it will loosen up as time goes on. Using it as a momentary on/off was easy and should be very handy.

The size of the mouse is just right for me. Its a little shorter and a little wider than the mouse it replaces (MX600). Its also bigger than the Anywhere Mouse MX.

Logitech claims the M705 has a 3 year battery life. That will be great if that's true. The M705 has an on/off switch on the bottom. So I'm guessing to get the full 3 years I'll need to turn it off overnight or when not using for long periods of time.

One of the main reasons for buying this mouse is I no longer have to settle for whats in the keyboard/ mouse combo packs any longer... yay! As the Unified Dongle allows me to mix and match with other Unified Dongle products.

To sum it up:
Yay!
Assignable thumb button.
Nice size for my hand size (On the smallish side).
Unified dongle for up to 6 "Unified" devices.
3 year battery life.
$50.00 is a bargain.

Nay!
To early to tell.

Update:
The scroll wheel is fantastic! It so easy to scroll up and down pages.

I just added the Logitech K350 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard. The manual for it says all I need to do is put in batteries and its ready to go. Thats not exactly true. I already have this mouse installed with its unifying receiver. So I needed to "unify" the keyboard to the mouse receiver.

Thats very easy to do in the SetPoint software. The Star Icon at the bottom left on the "My Mouse" Tab. Just follow a short procedure and the you're ready to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse for a great price., February 22, 2010
I have a MX revolution for my main desktop. I purchased this logitech marathon mouse for my new laptop. I have to say this feels as good as my MX revolution. It's got a good feel to it and the buttoms works nicely. The tracking is very precise. I am thinking about buying one for my brother who's still using a wired microsoft optical mouse. Highly recommanded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mouse for The Mac!, February 22, 2010
I had purchased two of theses to replace two "Magic Mice" from Apple. Those have an accretion curve issue that has yet to be corrected and
no "back" button without a contorted double finger move.

These worked great. The Logitech LCC 3.1 installed and runs just fine. The software provide an accelerator multiplier "on top" of Mac Mouse Driver plus tons on button actions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy - great little mouse, June 23, 2010
I'm a picky mouse user.

I want something that will contour to my hand, but not be too big. I've been using the VX Revolution for a few years now. And I need two thumb buttons. I can't live without my shortcuts.

I've been using the VX Revolution for a few years. Even though advertised as a 'laptop mouse', I found it fit my hand better than the desktop version. But they never lasted - the left click would last a year or two, and I'd have to replace the mouse. This time the VX Revolution was discounted so I had to search for a replacement. The M705 turnout to be like the VX Revolution refreshed....

I've been using the M705 for about two months now and I'm a happy camper. The mouse has a great shape and fits in my right hand very well . top buttons are comfortable and snappy. And the thumb buttons are in a great location - not in my way so I keep clicking them, but no so far away I have to stretch the thumb. The left and right surfaces have a gripping surface, but your fingers won't stick to them.

The M705 has two more features I've gotten used two. There's a third 'hidden' thumb button. When you press the thumb down it can trigger another function (I have it set to Exposé). The scroll wheel also has a handy button next to it. Usual wheel response is your standard 'notched' feeling (click-click-click as you scroll). There's a small button out-of-the-way behind the scroll wheel that will switch between 'click' mode and smooth mode. In smooth mode the wheel will spin freely. And it's very free - it'll spin for a good 15-20 seconds on the new mouse. if I have a huge browser window to scroll through, smooth-mode is great! I don't know how I would live without it.

The mouse comes with the 'standard' Logitec control center software, which is working just fine on MacOS 10.6. Actually, I didn't have to install any software - I had it installed for the VX Revolution - so the Control Center automatically recognized the new mouse with no problems.

Not many downsides. This mouse takes two AA batteries rather than just one - not sure why that is. There is an on/off switch on the bottom if you want to save batter life. And, like every mouse I've ever owned, the feet pick up a lot of dust and such from the desk. No worse than any other mouse. I'll have to wait a year or two to see if this lasts longer than the VX mouse. And, of course, never happy paying $50 for a mouse..

So happy camper here. Very very happy with the M705, and would highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars unintentional double clicking, January 20, 2014
The battery may last for 3years but not your left mouse button. the copper spring inside of the mouse gets flattened out over a period of time(1yr~2yr) and you will end up double clicking on everything when u actually just single clicked.

ARRAY(0xa7501078)